good old days..

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: good old days..

Post by cockney hammer »

sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

before that shop was there , if you think that was small then the one before it that was still open for a while after the shed things got put up, was in the west side on the way round to the north bank entrance, it was about ten foot square including the bit behind the counter, any pictures of that knocking about
Mitch
Embarrassing itch

Post by Mitch »

sicknote wrote:before that shop was there , if you think that was small then the one before it that was still open for a while after the shed things got put up, was in the west side on the way round to the north bank entrance, it was about ten foot square including the bit behind the counter, any pictures of that knocking about
I remember that :lol: It was a bit of a squeeze to say the least - football clubs didn't really get the whole "merchandising" idea back then. You had a job finding a replica kit anywhere and they certainly didn't sell one in the "club shop". The one I got for Christmas had too many hoops on the cuffs and collar to be a real West Ham kit !
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

My first 'West Ham' shirt was a plain claretish coloured football shirt. My first scarf was hand - knitted and didn't quite match up colourwise. :oops:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

My first shirt was 100% cotton, early 70's away strip, sky blue with two claret hoops. Loved that shirt
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

there was a sports shop in weybridge next to the post office that did the kits for all the london clubs in the 70's, they used to be in a green box with a plastic see through panel on, as has been said usually had too many bands on the arm to be the real thing, but getting one home and opening the box and that unique smell the new kits had back then, can't describe it just heaven for a young kid
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

sicknote wrote:before that shop was there , if you think that was small then the one before it that was still open for a while after the shed things got put up, was in the west side on the way round to the north bank entrance, it was about ten foot square including the bit behind the counter, any pictures of that knocking about
I was in there before a match circa 1975. Behind the counter,helping out and keeping the customers entertained was Keith Robson, the bloke I was with asked him for one of his match worn socks, Robson took his address and low and behold a week later through the post came this dirty sock, which my mate wore to school for the next week or so.
Talking of West Ham shops, anyone remember the one in Walthamstow?
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

i remember sir bobby's shop across the road to the ground
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Knew the bloke that ran it. Good mates with Bob. Ran a used car shop on Plashet Road too ~ 77 to be exact. Sunset Motors; I am pretty sure it was his. Lived a couple of doors down from me, used to hang around with his lad who was about the same age as me.
brooking10

Post by brooking10 »

I used to love going to the old porta cabin shop in the 70's - it was like an Aladdin's cave. Completely different to the shops today - now everything is able to be picked up and looked at by the customer. Back then, it seemed nearly everything was held behind the wooden counter, even the shirts were folded and put in little cubby holes according to their size. There was nowhere to try them on either.

I remember getting the 1976 Admiral shirt with the V pattern down the front - I think this might have been the first synthetic / polyester shirt rather than cotton one. Also, did anyone else have one of the ornate West Ham mirrors on their bedroom wall, or a West Ham bedside lamp with a big figure in claret and blue as the lamp base and stem? Classic merchandising items that should be brought back for the kids of today!
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

cockney hammer wrote:Image
When was this taken? Back in 2012?

:lol:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/west- ... y/west+ham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iron George

Post by Iron George »

cockney hammer wrote:i remember sir bobby's shop across the road to the ground
Which is where i bought my first shirt - circa 1969
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Yes it was like they had a spare 10ft of building and thought why not stick a shop there, used to be rammed, had to fight to the front then get abuse if you didnt choose a tasteful badge or scarf quick enough. :lol:

then you had to try to get out again

not sure health and safety would allow a shop like that now days
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

cockney hammer wrote:i remember sir bobby's shop across the road to the ground

The windows got done after the Blackpool cup pissup in 1970
Al the Dog

Post by Al the Dog »

I still have one of my early Hammers shirts that I had bought for me one Xmas in the late 60's. The one you should have got should have had just one claret ring on the collar and two claret rings on the cuff. My older sister had a mate who worked in Hammetts at the Abbey Arms in E13, they sold football shirts and she got staff discount so my old mum (God bless her) took full advantage.

Any more rings and you had the pi55 taken out of you at school for wearing a Villa or a Burnley shirt.

Ahhhhh the innocent good old days. :D
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

woodford wrote:Yes it was like they had a spare 10ft of building and thought why not stick a shop there, used to be rammed, had to fight to the front then get abuse if you didnt choose a tasteful badge or scarf quick enough. :lol:

then you had to try to get out again

not sure health and safety would allow a shop like that now days
Fond memories. You're right H&S would have a field day today, must have been about 90 degrees in there on match days and a pick-pockets paradise. I remember the blonde lady with loads of gold jewellery who worked there for years - always helpful. Used to like going in there on non-match days usually close-season to buy my programme binder! I bought the grey with claret pin-stripe sweatshirt as in the background of CH's pic around '84 and IIRC whilst paying for it that day saw Alan Dickens on the forecourt outside so also ****ed out for the postcode size player photo of him and rushed out to get it signed. Nice bloke Alan.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »