The Board (a poll)

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you believe West Ham United's current owners/board can deliver success in the long term?

Yes
8%
No
78%
Unsure
14%

Total votes: 377

derek zoolander

Re: The Board (a poll)

Post by derek zoolander »

What do people see as 'success'? I'd be happy with us staying in the PL and getting into europe every now and then and actually think thats pretty successful to be honest.
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

On the evidence so far...

Mismanaged the Tevez affair.

Mismanaged Eggy's spending spree.

Mismanaged the increases in ticket prices.

Mismanaged the merchandising.

Mismanaged the new ticketing system.

Mismanaging the Bobby Moore Fund crap.

Mismanaged what they were supposed to be good at (banking).

Sponsor goes bust and can't sort a new sponsor. Meanwhile we have to have those awful patches on our shirts.

Hmm...I'm undecided. :lol:
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

smuts wrote:Failed promises of new training grounds, ticket rises, the deluded Eggy, treating Curbs like dirt, a whopping expenditure of £1m on Behrami in two transfer windows, Duxbury still making a mess of everything, no sponsor, appointing the most inept legal team ever seen to defend the Sheff Utd arbitration.
But for me most of that's not going to stop us moving forward.

They are building the new training ground.
Ticket prices rise every season, and did so at the vast majority of clubs.
Eggy was hyperbole after the new takeover, but he said many more times that fans should be patient...
Was Curbs treated like dirt? By not letting him bring in anymore players who cost the club vast amount of money...
Well it was reported as £5m and would still be the lowest in the league at that..
Duxbury is still there..
What could they do about XL going bust? And getting a new sponsor will take a bit of time!
Who knows about the last one...
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

QuintonNimoy wrote:
When did you think that cup win might materialise?
Did i say i thought it would materialise?

Cups are a bit of a lottery and you need a lot of luck to win it. Look at Pompey last year, had all the luck going to get there. Totally outplayed v Preston for example in the early rounds, got lucky v Man U and got lucky with the Chelsea under-performing v Barnsley.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

No, i just want them to sell now. Had enough of them.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

carnage wrote: Did i say i thought it would materialise?

Cups are a bit of a lottery and you need a lot of luck to win it. Look at Pompey last year, had all the luck going to get there. Totally outplayed v Preston for example in the early rounds, got lucky v Man U and got lucky with the Chelsea under-performing v Barnsley.
That's what I thought. I guess cup wins (or even a decent final) automatically make a crap season succesful as long as you stay up. The kind of thing that falls into the board's lap though, rather than a result of brilliant planning on their part.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

He put alot of money into the club and i was filled with optimism. However i think the collapse of XL and Lansbanski have made me lose confidence in the board. If money comes in i doubt is going to go towards new players... the board are going to want some money back, especially Gudmundsson who is in some trouble. I think he will evntually sell.
Lennie Hammer

Post by Lennie Hammer »

… And it's a No! from me. But that's because I think anyone would struggle to bring success to West Ham.

We're cursed! :shock:
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Arch Dandy wrote: They are building the new training ground.
Ticket prices rise every season, and did so at the vast majority of clubs.
Eggy was hyperbole after the new takeover, but he said many more times that fans should be patient...
Was Curbs treated like dirt? By not letting him bring in anymore players who cost the club vast amount of money...
Well it was reported as £5m and would still be the lowest in the league at that..
Duxbury is still there..
What could they do about XL going bust? And getting a new sponsor will take a bit of time!
Who knows about the last one...
Are they building the new training ground? has this actually been confirmed?

Ticket rises came at a time when a lot of clubs were freezing theirs and at a time when we spent nothing.

I'm not even going there with Eggy...even BG could work out what a buffoon he was

Curbs going was nothing to do with not giving him money, it was selling players like Zamora, Linda and Anton and replacing them with freebies like Ilunga and Di Michele who the jury is well and truly out on.

A lot of ITK's have claimed that Behrami was not even a million.

Duxbury is still there.....exactly!

XL going bust is not really BG's fault.....but being a guarantor for a bank loan for them is! I doubt that many other chairman get so involved with their sponsor's finances.

I also forgot to add bullsh*t like the OS announcing Yossi signing a new contract when he had done nothing of the sort just before we announced a season ticket rise, claims we were in for Adriano....only to announce that we had got in Henri Camara from Wigan's stiffs, the pathetic way that the merchandise front has been run...it's never ending.
Zatopek

Post by Zatopek »

Perhaps the poll question should have been:

"Is there anybody alive today except Bill Gates or Stephen Hawking who could bring success to West Ham?"

I think the answer to that is still 'No'.

On the other hand, what we are seeing now IS success compared to 82 professional football clubs that are below us.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Im still not sure Curbishley was purposely hung out to dry. We were in money trouble through the colapse of XL and Lansbnski. Clubs make high offers for our players therfore he sells as he desperately needs to make money back. BG is in money trouble, i doubt he gave a f*** about Curbs and what he had to say about the club. If you were in BG's shoes (west ham specs off) would you make some money back or listen to Alan and keep players?

Im not suprised Curbshley quit but these stories about our money trouble certainly makes me think about another side to the story.
irontc

Post by irontc »

Undecided

There is no point in BG selling the club now, there would be a million and one hands out for the cash! Which is a liitle bit
worrying I think, coz it means we are in a holding patten until things get better financially.

Eggy is the Boris Johnson of Iceland, talks a good talk......but is a bit of a baffoon. I think he meant well though - just a shame he couldnt back things up.

:crest: forever
Mr Mutts

Post by Mr Mutts »

BG is operating under certain constraints. We can't see what those are. My guess is that he'll try and hold the WH ship steady, as it may be a safe asset for him until the Icelandic situation gets resolved. Of course, he can't afford for us to get relegated. Perhaps siting tight holding onto us is the best policy for him at the moment...

who know really. I voted no. Certainly don't imagine that he gives us too much thought at the moment. He's got enough on his hands.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

a resounding no from me!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'd be perfectly happy with competence and stability and a sense that the people in charge know what they are doing.

I have no problem with us finishing between 8th and 12th regularly, but would like the occasional tilt at qualifying for the UEFA Cup and a decent cup run.

Is that too much to ask from a club that has one of the 20 highest incomes in the world?
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

I said yes because the pessimism on here on the back on three and a half well played games is truly undeserved. Sort out the crap finishing and the season will get going.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Iron Constitution wrote:Must have been Henry Fonda.
and that tony hancock.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

QuintonNimoy wrote: Does it count if they did it right to begin with and f***ed it up later? If so then a plus point for hiring Curbs. Not sure Magnusson's handling of the investment was that good though IMO, although I think the second round was a bit better.
Probably not. It counts to a certain extent in my book as what Curbs did was close to miraculous but their handling of the whole affair and the fact that they essentially forced him out perhaps cancels that out.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

westhamerica wrote:I said yes because the pessimism on here on the back on three and a half well played games is truly undeserved. Sort out the crap finishing and the season will get going.
Very important point.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Useless, dishonest, ruthless...........

They have no idea how to run a company of that size