The post-window poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The January transfer window: which of the following statements do you most agree with?

I'm delighted with our January business
30%
I'm reasonably happy
63%
I'm disappointed overall
5%
Sack the board
1%

Total votes: 477

Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Re: The post-window poll

Post by Ozza »

Up the Junction wrote: Ozza: you're not making this easy :)

The question is 'which of the following statements do you most agree with?' - not 'which one do you absolutely agree with'. The second option would be most applicable, no?
fair enough, got my debating head on
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I went for the first one considering we all thought Green, Upson and Parker were gone!

We lost someone good - now what was his name - you know the one.......nope it's gone!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Ozza wrote:fair enough, got my debating head on
I noticed you'd been going at it in the transfer thread :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

[quote="Ozza"fair enough, got my debating head on[/quote]

Get a few like you we could have a mass de.... no, I won't even go there... :oops: :oops: :arry:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Up the Junction wrote: I noticed you'd been going at it in the transfer thread :thup:

He needs one that says:

"I'm pleased, but I dont know why".... :wink:
03H

Post by 03H »

Transfer in:
Savio Nsereko
Radoslav Kovac
Herita Ilunga

Transfer out:
Matthew Etherington
Lee Bowyer (loan)
Craig Bellamy
Hayden Mullins
Nigel Quashie (loan)
Julien Faubert
Calum Davenport (loan)

Lets look at the transfers out. We sold Matthew Etherington for 2 million, Craig Bellamy for 14 million, Hayden Mullins for 1 million, and shifted out Calum Davenport, Lee Bowyer and Julient Faubert on loan, with the later bringing us in 1.5 million up front, which not only cuts the wage bill, but brings us just under 20 million pounds? If you look at that list, the only noticeable first team player under Zola leaving was Craig Bellamy. However, as I think most West Ham fans will agree, 14 million for a 29 year old player who has scored 7 goals for us and has a pretty poor injury record was a blinding bit of a business. The others were basically bench warmers, who whilst added competition for players and gave us extra depth, none of the players other than Bellamy had the required quality to be a permanent fixture in the team, and with Zola wanting to cut down his squad, to get rid of the players we did for some of their prices was very good business, and we also were able to reduce the wage bill considerably.

We were able to bring in Savio Nsereko, who it seems can play as an attacking midfield player, on the wings, and up front, for a fee of 5 million rising to 9 million. I'm sure most of us hadn't even of heard of him before this, but if Zola, Nani and Clarke felt this boy was worth this price, then I have no qualms, and I'm sure we have a promising little player on our hands which at the moment we've been able to ease into an in form side. We've also brought in a 29 year old Czech international, who I feel will be a considerable improvement on Mullins, whilst adding competition/cover for the centre back role, plus some even more experience which is quickly becoming quite a youthful side. Oh, and I nearly forgot the recent news of the permanent signing of Ilunga, who this season has looked a top player.

Overall, I'm happy with our business. At the start of the window, most of us feared the worst, with talks of a firesale of our biggest assets, with nobody coming in. However this didn't happen, and the only key player who left was Bellamy which we gather was fuelled by himself wanting to leave. Sure, we're lacking in areas, mainly up front as I see it, but I feel with the players we have we can definitely achieve a respectable position in the league this season, whether we're in Europe or not.
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

I voted for number two, as I am happy that we sold some deadwood and that we kept key players but if we have some injuries we may find our squad a little short, I am excioted about the prospect of Savio but I also think that we have too much expectation over him and who would blame us as he is apparentley our record signing. Kovac looks like a decent piece of buisness so hopefully we can push on and carry on with our great form.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Sack The Board!

Why oh why have they not followed that master of the transfer window our dear pal Harry Redknob and brought back lots of old players to the club.
Bellamy had only been gone a few days..should've been brought back just in time for a season ending injury.
Davenport...should've been brought back in anticipation of his departure.
Julien Fauxpas..should've been brought back as he was leaving.
Henri Camara,while we dithered he went to Stoke,...should've been brought back.

*twitches*
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

We should not have let Faubert go until we had a replacement...simple.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Tel The Hammer wrote:Bit worried about our striking options if DDM or Cole lose their form, but we're all but safe so there shouldn't be overwhelming pressure on us to get goals due to our relative safety.

Am over the moon we kept Upson and Parker.

If Savio's as good a prospect as many people say I'm pleased with our activity this window.

Ilunga's the icing on the cake. :thup:
Pretty much where I am - would have liked at least a short term striking solution. And maybe to have picked up Nzogbia - prob the best value of teh window.

But I feared key players owuld leave - nad they havent (Bellars record just doesnt hack it as a key player).
03H

Post by 03H »

If Julien does go on loan, then we will look quickly to bring in a replacement."
Ah well, not that Julien offered us much anyway. To be honest I don't see what we'll miss, even without a replacement. Neill, Spector, and Behrami can play right back, whilst Behrami and Savio (even Stanislas) can play right wing if need be.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Up the Junction wrote:Fill yer boots you filthy slags ...
But harsh.

I wanted a 'very happy' option too... just a to be a difficult ****er...
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

Porfirio wrote: soooooo much money for Craig Bellamy. Honestly, bonkers, bonkers deal. I now know how Newcastle felt when we turned up and offered them £6 million for Dyer.
What about DeJong he had a 1.5million release clause and City paid how much!
MintChocChip

Post by MintChocChip »

Voted for "reasonably happy". We kept all our best players apart from Bellamy and got decent money for him. Plus we picked up a promising young talent in Savio and got rid of some of the dead wood. Pretty good over all.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to metaphorically stick a large middle digit up at all the press that were claiming we would sell all our best players in a fire sale. They were wrong...again. :asleep:
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Reasonably happy. What most feared has not transpired; the only departure I think we'll really miss is Bellamy - who would have only caused problems if he hadn't been allowed to leave. We've made some interesting additions who could prove to be useful (only time will tell). We've made/saved a lot of money, which I think is very important for us at the moment. However we now appear to be lacking strength in depth in almost every department, which could prove problematic.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Bit off-topic, but does anyone know if Bowyer can be recalled from his loan at Brum?. If so he's quite capable of filling the gap left by Faubert leaving if need be.
whufc4life

Post by whufc4life »

Bearing in mind the original expectation of the window im delighted.

We have raised the money which was required (i think) and sold the right players. We have brought in cover for most positions AND bought a bright star for the future without offloading our best players.

Only minor concern is no striker being signed. This could effect any chase for Europe but having said that, id prefer we saved money and didnt sign anyone rather then make a rush signing. We do have enough strikers, just a question around quality.
mcan
Has liked: 187 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by mcan »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:I went for the first one considering we all thought Green, Upson and Parker were gone!

We lost someone good - now what was his name - you know the one.......nope it's gone!
Likewise, because we kept getting told we would be losing most of those, though I suppose if i was looking at it in isolation, ie if there hadn't been such negative speculation, I would have said reasonably happy.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

MintChocChip wrote:I'd just like to take this opportunity to metaphorically stick a large middle digit up at all the press that were claiming we would sell all our best players in a fire sale. They were wrong...again. :asleep:
Indeed. All we've heard is that our entire team is up for sale...and not just from the papers either. Commentators on our live matches, presenters on sports news programmes...they've all uttered "entire team up for sale" when referring to us at various points during this window. Now they appear to have gone very, very quiet...because they know that they were, as usual, talking complete and utter rubbish but they don't have the b*llocks to admit they were wrong. So they are concentrating on bigger things...like Spurs resigning all their old players.

Surprised that none of them reported, or "understood", that Mabbutt was in line for a shock return!
scanlen

Post by scanlen »

Like most on here I'm reasonably happy. We've had 10 out, 2 in and Ilunga signed for £1.5m permanently.

So we've reduced our wage bill enormously, brought in a net £15m or so and can look at more acquisitions in the summer when a few more will no doubt be departing (Lopez, Tristan).

We've signed a solid 29 year old Czech International who can play a variety of positions and a 19 year old attacking midfielder/forward who impressed me enormously on his 20 minutes or so at Arsenal. He's heralded as one for the future but he hit the ground running as far as I'm concerned... We musn't forget Junior Stanislas who also impressed me while he played a televised game for Southend against Chelsea. He's another that is ready to step up now.

Downside is as we all know, we are light on forwards if anything happens to CC & DDM. Maybe Tristan has more to offer but I can't help but feel the guy has no more ambition and is seeing his time out as a pro footballer by picking up his wages while doing the minimum. Sears has been a big disappointment to me and I thought he might progress a bit quicker but his development seems to have stalled for the time being.

So yes reasonably happy but I'd also like to sack BG (not the whole board) for bringing us to our knees and unless his son can raise £100m to pump into Hansa we will be in trouble come March 6. Maybe the signs are encouraging for BG and Thor to find the dosh from somewhere now that Duxbury/Nani/Zola has shown them the way...