The post-window poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The January transfer window: which of the following statements do you most agree with?

I'm delighted with our January business
30%
I'm reasonably happy
63%
I'm disappointed overall
5%
Sack the board
1%

Total votes: 477

Caribiron
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Re: The post-window poll

Post by Caribiron »

Delighted.

Transfer in:
Savio Nsereko
Radoslav Kovac
Herita Ilunga

Transfer out:
Matthew Etherington
Lee Bowyer (loan)
Craig Bellamy
Hayden Mullins
Nigel Quashie (loan)
Julien Faubert
Calum Davenport (loan)

Given that at the start of the window we were predicted to be in meltdown, and in the context of our run and performances we feel like were entering a new era. The last time I felt this positive was when Pardew started to make an impact. The players that fans on here have week in week out ****ed off have been shipped out, bar possibly Boa Morte. Players we were desperate to not to lose have not only stayed but stated their desire to stay. The only down side is bellars off, however, he's only one knock away from another 6 months out.

I'm not going to go down the....oh but we didn't sign Crespo/Owen/Klose etc etc etc route, go back to the start of the window, never going to happpen. A good run in and a top ten finish and we're set up for a Zola/Clarke summer.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Everybody who witnessed the 2003 summer Sale should without question hit the absolutely delighted button,
The pressure on the board this time from Media & Fans alike was enormous. I'm delight a large number of quality players did not have their heads turned and that can only be due to the board & the management

I'm also quite please that those who were muck raking and preaching gloom & doom have been suitably put in their place (a bit anyway)
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Very happy.

Got rid of the deadwood, Ilunga signed permanently, worth double what we paid for him. Czech internatiuonal in as cover at centre back and midifeld, a youngster singed up(could be signing of the season according to whinger, but what does he know). Wages freed up for when the prices will be cheaper in the Summer. Iur squad was too large, 10 out doesnt mean 10 in, some people cant seem to grasp this. Never thought i'd see people say we should have got a replacement in for Faubert before we let him go, he gets religously slaughtered on here.

Sack the board is a bit much dont you think Chuck?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I am delighted that we managed to keep hold of our "top" players, ths business for Bellamy I understand was too good to turn down but his pace up front has been missed in a couple of games already, I honestly believe if we had Bellamy in the side against Le'Arse we may well have nicked it.

I am concerned with our lack of forward thinking players, we do though sit on 33 points and have very little chance of being relegated, considering the doom and gloom surrounding our club with the run up to this window I think the board/management must take huge credit for coming out the window with a decent premiership 1st eleven.

If Cole gets injured or his form drops we have very little too bring off the bench unles we change formation which I'm sure Zola/Clarke have covered, I am today just struggling to see where the goals will come from.

So overall I am a reasonably happy hammer :arry:

(In fairness it could have been alot worse and I was expecting worse from all the reports, on that ground alone I guess we all should be delighted, but as a supporter I am allowed to be fickle :arry: )
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

This ****ing > :arry: thing is already getting on my tits
DeadJoshWalkin

Post by DeadJoshWalkin »

Considering how 'doomed' we were back in december, I'm totally delighted, we only lost Bellamy, and we got far more than he's worth. Moved on a lot of dead wood and drastically slashed the wage bill, too early to say if Savio is a good signing but replacing Hayden Mullins with Kovac is an immense piece of business. And it looks like we've tied up Illunga too for far less than we sold McCartney for.

Feels like the club has been totally turned around by this window and the results we've gotten in it. Never been happier to be a hammer.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

carnage wrote:Very happy.

Got rid of the deadwood, Ilunga signed permanently, worth double what we paid for him. Czech internatiuonal in as cover at centre back and midifeld, a youngster singed up(could be signing of the season according to whinger, but what does he know). Wages freed up for when the prices will be cheaper in the Summer. Iur squad was too large, 10 out doesnt mean 10 in, some people cant seem to grasp this. Never thought i'd see people say we should have got a replacement in for Faubert before we let him go, he gets religously slaughtered on here.

Sack the board is a bit much dont you think Chuck?
Ha ha, it wasnt me. I am one of the 3%.

I'm just pleased that 97% of the fans are happy, should mean that people will stop moaning at the games now.
Last edited by Chuck D on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Medoc
Location: On the phone trying to get a ticket (can't afford a season ticket).
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by Medoc »

DeadJoshWalkin wrote:Considering how 'doomed' we were back in december, I'm totally delighted, we only lost Bellamy, and we got far more than he's worth. Moved on a lot of dead wood and drastically slashed the wage bill, too early to say if Savio is a good signing but replacing Hayden Mullins with Kovac is an immense piece of business. And it looks like we've tied up Illunga too for far less than we sold McCartney for.

Feels like the club has been totally turned around by this window and the results we've gotten in it. Never been happier to be a hammer.
Time to get worried mate, really worried.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Delighted.

Kept key players.
Gained large profit on quality but troublesome player.
Finally offloaded several fringe players on large wages.
Broke our transfer record on a very exciting young prospect.
Gained an experienced midfielder.
Solidified the full back situation.
Remained unbeaten throughout the entire period.

Although what pleases me most is that we've gone about our business quietly and efficiently and haven't used Sky Sports as a podium for spouting bull**** like that **** at spuds.
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

I went for "I'm reasonably happy".

Can't stop players leaving if they want to go, and of all the departures being touted, Bellamy's was the one I was happy to let go (for the crazy money it has to be said). Delighted that Ilunga has signed permanently, and that we held onto the spine of our team Green, Upson, Parker and Cole, which for me was a real statement of intent...we have been a "selling club" for far too long.

My concern has been with the players (or lack of) coming in. I know it sounds ridiculous, but we've actually been quite lucky with injuries this season (maybe not luck, maybe all down to the new medical team :think: ), but a couple of injuries to key players and we could be in trouble. Also don't know enough about Savio...I guess this one we'll have to watch.

Overall satisfied with the lack of departures, but not completely satisfied with the incomings.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

has this poll been run after every window?

I'd suggest this is the happiest this forum has been after any windown out of the last 3.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Old Fat Tits wrote:Sack The Board!

Why oh why have they not followed that master of the transfer window our dear pal Harry Redknob and brought back lots of old players to the club.
Bellamy had only been gone a few days..should've been brought back just in time for a season ending injury.
Davenport...should've been brought back in anticipation of his departure.
Julien Fauxpas..should've been brought back as he was leaving.
Henri Camara,while we dithered he went to Stoke,...should've been brought back.

*twitches*
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Chuck D wrote: Ha ha, it wasnt me. I am one of the 3%.
I did wonder if it was you on a wind up tbh :lol:

I'm reasonably happy, £14m for Bellamy was too good to turn down imo and while we haven't replaced him and Faubert which may leave us a bit short in those positions, there was no firesale as some of the doomsayers suggested.
The players coming in have their merits too, one for the future and a decent experienced international who will hopefully help to bring on our young players.

Reasons to be cautiously optimistic I think. :)
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

KFC Kirky wrote:Personally am delighted we didn't sell Upson, Green, Parker or Behrami. Was convinced we were selling Upson, and to be honest was disappointed with losing Bellamy (although not after he proved himself to be a cock of the highest order, which I guess we all knew already) but 14m is good business.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
DeadJoshWalkin

Post by DeadJoshWalkin »

Medoc wrote: Time to get worried mate, really worried.

:lol: Pretty much.
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

Given the impending sense of doom I had at the beginning of Jan, I think we've gotta be happy with how things panned out. Another one in the rerasonably happy camp here.... :thup:
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

could have been far worse seems to be a common theme. rumours about star players leaving being unfounded seem to have suitably managed expectations and made people happy to have sold other players instead witout significant investment. I still want bg out and no doubt the financial approach to the last two windows will have a directly positive impact on the money he walks away with when/if we are sold. i'm afraid that i can't forget it's the current regimes cowboy approach that put us in a financial mess.
monkey

Post by monkey »

The only thing I'm slightly unhappy about is selling Mullins. It seems to me that all of the qualities Clarke highlighted in Kovac, versatility, work rate, experience, we already had in Hayden.
Otherwise, I am delighted that we were able to keep our best players. Also, it's noteworthy that window after window we were told that the squad is too big, but it's only since Zola came in that something constructive was done about it. Curbs was never going to do what was required because he either signed the players who left or owed them something after the great escape. It's taken fresh eyes to really sort out the squad.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Up the Junction wrote:Fill yer boots you filthy slags ...
Someone had a few sherberts last night :lol:
RUNWELL RAY

Post by RUNWELL RAY »

I'm delighted only purely because with the exception of 'baby Bellamy' we have kept all our big players. I was really fearing the worse.