The post-window poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The January transfer window: which of the following statements do you most agree with?

I'm delighted with our January business
30%
I'm reasonably happy
63%
I'm disappointed overall
5%
Sack the board
1%

Total votes: 477

Fionn

Re: The post-window poll

Post by Fionn »

WestHamIFC wrote:

That we didn't want to sell Bellamy?

Yes. Or else Zola is a liar.
That we didn't sell Bellamy for financial reasons?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: Could we have replaced Bellamy with Keane??

Post by Up the Junction »

Happyhammer93 wrote:If we got keane it would have gone agianst the "project".
Not strictly true HH, if it were we wouldn't have signed Kovac.
Neil's Orr

Post by Neil's Orr »

It is a bit of a pointless debate this stuff re Keane. He would not have come here.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Up the Junction wrote: Not strictly true HH, if it were we wouldn't have signed Kovac.
Different story getting a £12m international player on probably about £80k a week and getting an international player on loan then for £3m on about probably £30k...

Signing Keane does go against it for me.

Tremendous player, but money could be invested better elsewhere.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Neil's Orr wrote:It is a bit of a pointless debate this stuff re Keane. He would not have come here.
Agree. Think the reason it happened is because there was still £10mil outstanding on the initial fee, weird move though.

If we'd have signed Keane...he'd have been dump in the first game and we'd be coating him off. I've got a good feeling about this unknown german kid think he's gonna be good!!
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Fionn Kiely wrote: That we didn't sell Bellamy for financial reasons?

OK - so if Bellamy was happy to stay, and City offered £14m?

- I think we would have kept him.

But - he wanted to go. Therefore we sold to the highest bidder (as long as it's not Spurs :wink: ).
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Up the Junction wrote: Not strictly true HH, if it were we wouldn't have signed Kovac.
As rars said, One is paying 12 million on a player of a contract of around 80k, the other is getting a loan in, and then paying 3 million, with much smaller wages. True, Both are going against the project. However that 12 million could have been invested has been invested, in a cheeper option and younger player. While the loan for Kovac, is there to help provide cover for places that needed cover, in my opinion. CB an CM. So is a good move.
string

Post by string »

delighted
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Happyhammer93 wrote:Both are going against the project.
'The project' wants to build a team of youngsters complemented by experienced heads - so both Keane and Kovac could feasibly apply.

Up the Junction wrote: 'The project' wants to build a team of youngsters complemented by experienced heads - so both Keane and Kovac could feasibly apply.
Not at £12m and extremely hefty wages twinned with being 30 next season, it doesn't.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Not at £12m and extremely hefty wages twinned with being 30 next season, it doesn't.
Possibly. Though the investment in Kovac, should we choose to 'exercise our right to buy in the summer' (my new favourite phrase) will be reasonably hefty, if not quite of Keane proportions. £4m plus three/four years wages for an experienced (proper) international; whatever that is these days.

Guess being an international and using it as a pro argument is playing regularly for a nation with very good players rather than who you play against. In this case, playing centre back for the Czech Rep is very much something to highlight as a positive.

I Imagine the 'old heads' was possibly more to do with keeping the current personnel as opposed to spending too much money on bring any in.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

r easonably happy me
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Apsolutely delighted, theres no pleasing some people is there....To keep our big players this window is apsolutely brilliant, I dont think many thought this would be the case a few weeks ago and then when we have thats all we get is we should have done this we should of got him we should of done that, for f_ck sake lets be gratefull for what we have got, Zola and Co are doing a grand job at the moment, we have not looked this promising for a few seasons now so lets get behind them with some top quality support and drop all the negative's
mcan
Has liked: 187 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by mcan »

Chuck D wrote:Ha ha, it wasnt me. I am one of the 3%.

I'm just pleased that 97% of the fans are happy, should mean that people will stop moaning at the games now.
Tbf it's only a minority who moan at the games.

About 3% I reckon. :wink:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

WestHamIFC wrote: Yet we wouldn't entertain selling someone for £12m who is 30 this summer...
I very much take your point mate but that's far too simplistic imo. It really (as so many things do) comes down to a judgement call. That judgement revolves around a lot of things, especially in Bellamys case ones we don't know the answers to. Yes, we will keep players who are very valuable and who are approaching 30, some are critically important to us some like Bellamy are judged to be sellable (not my view but the clubs), again it's a judgement by the club..........The critical point though and this is the point I was trying to make (badly) is that when that judgement has been made (to sell) a 30 year old for big money the club will not reinvest that money in another 30 year old. They will see it as a chance to bring in a young star (like Savio) with great potential for a smaller fee and on smaller wages.
Bubble Blowing Beast

Post by Bubble Blowing Beast »

Very happy with the way the club has acted during the window. I was one of those that saw the truth in what Dux said on the OS, rather than the so called 'come and get em' that was branded about after his statement was released. He stuck to his word and it was great to see the press and media alike proven wrong.

As Rasp sas we are playing some nice stuff, the confidence is buzzing within the squad and imo this is the most confident i have fealt in a the side for some time. Lets hope we can keep it going... :thup:
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

Reasonably happy.

What soppy sod said sack the board?!
garyloz

Post by garyloz »

I remember that prick from the Daily Mirror, Darren Lewis, going on SSN to say he had been told by a source that we were on the brink of administration and all our players would be sold. At the time we were fourth from bottom.

We've kept the spine of our team, shifted some fringe players and brought in what looks like two decent players, one of which has broken our transfer record.
Accordingly I'm delighted with our business. A little but surprised, and delighted.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Too big a gap between "delighted" and "reasonably happy". I'm somewhere between the two but voted reasonably.