Snap ownership poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Based upon all available information, who would you prefer to take ownership of West Ham United FC?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Intermarket
14%
David Gold & David Sullivan
36%
Tony Fernandes
46%
A.N Other
3%

Total votes: 388

BLT319

Re: Snap ownership poll

Post by BLT319 »

whos got the most money? who would care about our club the most and make us the most successful?
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

noble art wrote:where's the fun in that Trap!!
i see your point in stability,however i want to see us challenge,not just exist
its not the west ham way..... :crest:

So why are people voting for Fernandes as an option?

The fella isn't going to be able to pump in millions of pounds of his own money into the club.

I have nothing against Fernandes and I hope he puts a bid in, but we have to be realistic and learn the lessons of the BG/Eggy era.
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

I said Fernandes.

Would love him to go in with Gold & Sullivan as a joint bid.
Trap1

Post by Trap1 »

derek zoolander wrote:I said Fernandes.

Would love him to go in with Gold & Sullivan as a joint bid.
But that isn't likely to happen.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

Trap1 wrote:Fdi,

G&S took over a club sliding towards the third tier of English football. They rebuilt the ground, tripled the attendance and gained promotion to the top flight within seven years. Since then Brum have spent all but two seasons in the Premier League and have a healthy balance sheet that allows the Birmingham squad to be strenghtened when needed.

I call that the basis of a good CV, I don't really want an owner that buys us players through crippling loans.

I do want an owner with the experience and expertise in turning around a club that is in freefall.
Trap, the council rebuilt the ground at a time where interest rates were low and lending was easy and as I said football was booming, the sky money was spiralingt ever upwards.

Brum were a basket case when G & S arrived, which is why by simply making cuts and steadying the ship they flourished.
West Ham have already been doing that for 18 months, and the day Dyers contract expires that job will inevitably be complete regardless of owners.

Agreed we dont want an owner who buys players with crippling loans, but equally G & S failed to back McCleish and Bruce, so whilst they dont fit the former category, they do not look like people who can float a club above where it might naturally sit.

Burnley, Stoke, Hulls owners, even Al Fayed have eclipsed G & S stability mantra with Brum.

What was it G & S did at Brum that was differenet, clever, inovative, that took Brum above where the likes of Trevor Francis or Villa fans might have expected them to be?

G & S employed excellent managers (upsetting Palace in the process)
They cut costs, and revenues for all clubs (see also West Ham rose)

Bruce and McCleish are doing much better having been freed of G & S, Bruce even did better with Wigan than he could with G & S

In the next decade you need different skills.
noble art

Post by noble art »

[quote="Trap1"]

i dont know Trap
as i said i voted a n other,i want an owner with some wonga!!!
FDiMcA
teh

Post by FDiMcA »

Trap1 wrote:

The fella isn't going to be able to pump in millions of pounds of his own money into the club.
Trap?

G & S are going to pump millions of pounds into West Ham?

Do you know how much they paid for Brum, and how much they invested?

Have you spoke to any Brum fans?
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Trap1 wrote: But that isn't likely to happen.
I know. Its what I want though.
Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

I like the cut of A. N. Other's jib. :thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Trap1 wrote:So why are people voting for Fernandes as an option?
Presumably because they feel he is a better option than G&S and the alternatives!

A passionate Hammers fan; a wealthy, successful businessman who took a near bankrupt AirAsia from two out-of-date aeroplanes to where they are today; raised in the UK and knows London well; internationally reknowned ... there's a few boxes ticked.

Interesting results so far ... seems that G&C don't actually have the overwhelming support of the Hammers fan base they/the Sun said they did. Given their recent publicity drive (numerous leaks to the papers, being photographed at West Ham etc) I'd have expected this to be a little higher.

Early days yet, mind. Seems Fernandes' passion has caught the attention of many.
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

Up the Junction wrote:A passionate Hammers fan; a wealthy, successful businessman who took AirAsia from two out-of-date airplanes to where they are today; raised in the UK and knows London well; internationally reknowned ... there's a few boxes ticked.
For all these reasons I voted Fernandes.
Trap1

Post by Trap1 »

FDiMcA wrote:
Trap, the council rebuilt the ground at a time where interest rates were low and lending was easy and as I said football was booming, the sky money was spiralingt ever upwards.

Incorrect, Sullivan and Gold apparently put in money along with the council and there was a Football trust cheque. Interest were not as low to day as the mid 1990's (homeowners will know this). :wink: Nor was lending and football wasn't booming in the old second division in 1995.

Brum were a basket case when G & S arrived, which is why by simply making cuts and steadying the ship they flourished.
West Ham have already been doing that for 18 months, and the day Dyers contract expires that job will inevitably be complete regardless of owners.

It was that easy?!!!! :lol:

Agreed we dont want an owner who buys players with crippling loans, but equally G & S failed to back McCleish and Bruce, so whilst they dont fit the former category, they do not look like people who can float a club above where it might naturally sit.

Burnley, Stoke, Hulls owners, even Al Fayed have eclipsed G & S stability mantra with Brum.

How on earth have the owners of Stoke, Burnley and Hull eclipsed Brum?
Fulham are £198 million pounds in debt with a ground nowhere near developed.

What was it G & S did at Brum that was differenet, clever, inovative, that took Brum above where the likes of Trevor Francis or Villa fans might have expected them to be?

G & S employed excellent managers (upsetting Palace in the process)
They cut costs, and revenues for all clubs (see also West Ham rose)

Bruce and McCleish are doing much better having been freed of G & S, Bruce even did better with Wigan than he could with G & S

How on earth has McLeish improved because G&S have left the club, does he get a nightly cuddle from Carson Yeung?In the next decade you need different skills.
mickeymacavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by mickeymacavennie »

If anyone is backing Gold and Sullivan as white knights, they are either plain stupid or, at best, naive - they're in it for a quick dollar.

Don't believe this 'West Ham supporter' cobblers.

Birmingham City have moved ON from these charlatans. Does anyone see Blues fans shedding a tear for the old regime?

BCFC is a shambles as an ongoing business and this season they've got ****ing lucky. G & S would undoubtedly take credit for this - like they would take credit for the warmth off a turd.

Credit to the ****wits who have been lumbered with ownership - they are holding their balls on this one while we are all ****ting our pants staring at the Championship. January will tell the story...
FDiMcA
teh

Post by FDiMcA »

Wikipedia:

In April 2008, Sullivan and Birmingham City F.C. managing director Karren Brady were released on bail after being arrested by City of London Police and questioned on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting in connection with an ongoing investigation of alleged corruption in English football.

By the mid-1970s Sullivan was in control of half of the adult magazine market In the late 1970s he produced several low-budget British sex movies all starring his then-girlfriend Mary Millington. After Millington's suicide in August 1979 he continued with Mary Millington's True Blue Confessions (1980) and Emmanuelle in Soho (1981).

2009 has seen the Golds collective family wealth rise six places to 178th in the rankings, however with another large decline of £150m in their fortunes to £300m in spite of Jacqueline Golds continued growth of Ann Summers

Tony Fernandes was educated at Epsom College 1977-83 and then graduated from the London School of Economics in 1987. He worked very briefly with Virgin Atlantic as an auditor, subsequently becoming the financial controller for Richard Branson's Virgin Records in London from 1987 to 1989; Fernandes was admitted as Associate Member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) in 1991 and became Fellow Member in 1996.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I would not want gold and sullivan anywhere near our football club

Some of you are very easilly swayed by press spin

None of the above and that's pretty sad considering the way this lot run the club but those lot courting us offer nothing at all to enthuse
Trap1

Post by Trap1 »

Up the Junction wrote: Presumably because they feel he is a better option than G&S and the alternatives!

A passionate Hammers fan; a wealthy, successful businessman who took a near bankrupt AirAsia from two out-of-date aeroplanes to where they are today; raised in the UK and knows London well; internationally reknowned ... there's a few boxes ticked.

Interesting results so far ... seems that G&C don't actually have the overwhelming support of the Hammers fan base they/the Sun said they did. Given their recent publicity drive (numerous leaks to the papers, being photographed at West Ham etc) I'd have expected this to be a little higher.

Early days yet, mind. Seems Fernandes' passion has caught the attention of many.
I agree on about his passion catching the eye, quite cleverly he is taking note of the fans thoughts through various media forms.

The poll suggests that West Ham fans (on here at least), are divided between experience and fresh blood. Either way change is what people want and either will do me nicely.
FDiMcA
teh

Post by FDiMcA »

Trap1 wrote: G&S took over a club sliding towards the third tier of English football. They rebuilt the ground, "
FDiMcA wrote: Trap, the council rebuilt the ground
Trap1 wrote: Incorrect, Sullivan and Gold apparently put in money along with the council and there was a Football trust cheque.

Ah so it wasnt G & S, :think: do you mean you painted an overly simplistic and rosey picture of their time in Birmingham, GOSH!
Trap1

Post by Trap1 »

FDiMcA wrote:Wikipedia:

In April 2008, Sullivan and Birmingham City F.C. managing director Karren Brady were released on bail after being arrested by City of London Police and questioned on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting in connection with an ongoing investigation of alleged corruption in English football.

By the mid-1970s Sullivan was in control of half of the adult magazine market In the late 1970s he produced several low-budget British sex movies all starring his then-girlfriend Mary Millington. After Millington's suicide in August 1979 he continued with Mary Millington's True Blue Confessions (1980) and Emmanuelle in Soho (1981).

2009 has seen the Golds collective family wealth rise six places to 178th in the rankings, however with another large decline of £150m in their fortunes to £300m in spite of Jacqueline Golds continued growth of Ann Summers

Tony Fernandes was educated at Epsom College 1977-83 and then graduated from the London School of Economics in 1987. He worked very briefly with Virgin Atlantic as an auditor, subsequently becoming the financial controller for Richard Branson's Virgin Records in London from 1987 to 1989; Fernandes was admitted as Associate Member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) in 1991 and became Fellow Member in 1996.
A detect a touch of snobbery from you Fiddy!!!

Brady and co were told some time ago that they would not be charged with any offence.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I voted for G&S, simply because I believe they will run the club as a business.

I know very little about Fernandes, except that he has just bought an F1 team which is something that is incredibly time-consuming and expensive, no matter how rich you are. I can't see how he can divide and finances his time between the two, especially as we are a total basketcase as a business.
Trap1

Post by Trap1 »

Fiddy,

Most clubs had support from local authorities and the Football Trust during the 1990's in redeveloping their stadia. Seems very sensible to me. I'll think you'll find they paid for the rest of the development in 1999 and that they have also invested significant money into the club's infrastructure including a state of the art training facility.