Pompey's winding up order & other clubs finances

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Pompey's winding up order & other clubs finances

Postby the pink palermo on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:31 am

David Sullivan today referred to the very real risk of a club going pop - not administration , liquidation .

For obvious reasons he didn't name a club but given the fact Pompey failed to get a winding up order from HMRC blocked today , with the case being heard in 3 weeks it is clearly them .

In the event a club is wound up mid season , what are the rules concerning points won or lost against them in matches already played ?
Last edited by the pink palermo on Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Re: Pompey winding up order - what are the rules ?

Postby Dyer's Leg on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:37 am

It means we lose any points against them, results are null and void. I ain't got a source, but I am sure I read it somewhere once.

So stick the kids out next Tuesday, ain't as if the result will stand anyway!

But on a serious note, that means the 3 points from a few weeks ago may not count.

Feel free to punch me if my memory is not right regarding the rules.

**** it, punch me anyway, I like pain.
Dyer's Leg
Match thread guru

Postby Scaloni Is The Messiah on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:38 am

No way Portsmouth will be out of business before May, will take a long time.

But if it happens in future seasons, points won against them would be removed.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Postby the pink palermo on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:40 am

Thanks chaps . :thup:

A short & sweet thread
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Gnome on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:04 am

I think the last team to go under mid-season was Aldershot - 1992-ish(?) - it's standard to wipe all the club's records from the season.

I think Maidstone went about the same time as Aldershot but it was close season.

And if you think Redknapp is being hounded by HMRC you should have seen the fun they had with the chap that owned Maidstone! (Who, coincidentally, passed away a few days ago).
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament

Postby prophet:marginal on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 am

Look at it from a different perspective.

What if the challenge for the 4th CL spot goes to the last day and then to goal difference.

Liverpool's position improves if Pompey go bust; they get a re-adjustment to their g/d (they lost there 2-0).
prophet:marginal

Postby Denbighammer on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:29 am

Gnome wrote:I think the last team to go under mid-season was Aldershot - 1992-ish(?) - it's standard to wipe all the club's records from the season.

Thats correct, also happened in 1962 with Accrington Stanley (who are they? Exactly.), all records wiped from the books, including player appearances and goals.
Denbighammer

Postby bobd_uk on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 am

If Portsmouth went under before the end of the season (very unlikely), then the previous poster is correct. All of their results would be expunged, meaning we would lose the 3 points from boxing day, etc. The table would then be 19 teams, and only 2 teams would be relegated.
bobd_uk

Postby Ted Fenton on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 am

Whether or not a club is wound up, if the club cannot complete its league fixtures then all its results that season are expunged. That was the rule from Football League down to a 'park' league - I haven't heard that it's changed and assume that it has applied to the Premier League since the PL's inception.
Ted Fenton

Postby Ironworx on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 am

Yes, completely expunged in every case that I've ever encountered, and I've seen examples going back as far as Thames Ironworks days. The end of the season isn't that far away and I think it unlikely that Portsmouth will fail before then.
Ironworx

Postby sendô on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:01 am

Expunged. There's a word you don't see every day.

So what happens to their players? Free transfers?

Actually, have they still got any players worth buying?
sendô

Postby 1Carlos_Tevez on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 am

the mickys would appreciate that me thinks :think:
1Carlos_Tevez

Postby Eastbourne Hammer on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:10 am

sendô wrote:Expunged. There's a word you don't see every day.

So what happens to their players? Free transfers?

Actually, have they still got any players worth buying?

Their back up keeper looks handy.
Eastbourne Hammer

Postby bobd_uk on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:11 am

sendô wrote:So what happens to their players? Free transfers?

I assume the club would sell as many as they could before they were wound up, but if any players were left contracted to a club that liquidated, then they should become available as free agents.
bobd_uk

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:49 am

bobd_uk wrote:If Portsmouth went under before the end of the season (very unlikely), then the previous poster is correct. All of their results would be expunged, meaning we would lose the 3 points from boxing day, etc. The table would then be 19 teams, and only 2 teams would be relegated.

All correct as I understand it; However when my son and I were discussing we realised that this will probably have to filter down through the leagues, as there will only be two clubs dropping to the Championship. They can't tell league one that one less team is to be promoted can they? League officials frantically thinking at the moment I suspect.

I would expect the liquidators to sell all players before finally winding up the company, so in practice only players out of contract will go on a free. But selling in a buyers market will mean they are sold cheap.

I well remember the shock of Aldershot going as I had a number of mates who were fans, no one expected them to reform. TBF some people have been forecasting a "big" team going for a number of years and it seems to get closer each year.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby bubblebobble82 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13 pm

All the players would not go on a free, they would essentially be owned by whatever organisation is given the role of administrators - so they will sell all the assets of the club, which i would guess includes the players (so prices will prob be on the cheap). I can see Portsmouth going into administration but i cannot forsee a Premier League club being wound up. It would give the League's organisers a bit scare and there would be a lot of confusion probably banded round and hyped up in the press.
bubblebobble82

Postby Incey-is-a-moron! on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:20 pm

This has happened in Belgium's top flight this year with Mouscron going out of business.

http://goal.com/en/news/1549/rest-of-europe/2009/12/28/1712966/belgian-football-mouscron-thrown-out-of-the-jupiler-pro
Incey-is-a-moron!

Postby Georgee Paris on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:23 pm

The only time getting tonked by Portsmouth and them doing the double over you could be seen as a result!
Georgee Paris

Postby Pocket Pardew on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Expunged.

I also wanted to type this word in a thread.
Pocket Pardew

Postby QuintonNimoy on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Campbell is now suing them for unpaid fees and bonuses. Looks like the queue of creditors looking for their pound of flesh is forming.
QuintonNimoy

Next

Return to General Discussion