Avram: the poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Avram Grant:

Poll ended at Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:51 am

Should be fired with immediate effect
62%
Should be given more time
24%
Unsure
13%

Total votes: 453

chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Re: Avram: the poll

Post by chalks »

the pink palermo wrote: 14 games .

14 bloody games .

1 win
davek26962
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by davek26962 »

I had a feeling that his heart wasn't set on coming to us from day 1. I may be wrong but I think Portsmouth and their fans made a big impession on him and it was a big wrench to come here.

I have to say I am always reluctant to get rid of a manager but in this case I think he has got to go.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Didn't like the appointment and still don't like it for even more obvious reasons now. The owners should do what they want though as they have already proven that is all they intend to do. He deserves firing but then again he will get paid off a load of money for doing nothing and who is there to come in now? I wanted Hughes, we won't get O'Neill and will probably end up with someone like Strachan. God help us. Sack him anyway . Useless tosser. Kevin Keen for manager.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

the pink palermo wrote:We had a glorious day under John Lyall at the empire stadium in 1980 .

Would have been out the door if the same scenario arose today. Didn't even bring us straight back up after relegation, took three goes. You'll hear some of the same people glorifying in Lyalls achievements wanting Grant sacked after 14 games. Funny old game now... :wink:
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

He has to go.

No motivation skills...looks a mumbling wreck in most press/tv interviews so does not inspire the fans let alone the players.

Get some positivity in the team & fans before it's too late.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Sacking Grant won't be an instant recipe to avoiding relegation... if anything, it will just increase debt when we do go down! 3 managers in a 6 month period (maybe 4 if instant success isnt achieved by the new manager)

I'm surprised a poll has never gone against the manager but I guess it depends on the timing. A poll after the Reading 6 nil I am sure would have seen the majority of fans wanting Curbs out (because the majority did)! I'm not surprised about the current result of the poll but I would be surprised if Gollivan went to such extreme knee-jerk measures

The proposed shake up off the back room staff will hopefully have the desired impact
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

More time from me.

Has shown in quite a few games that he can get it right tactically despite not achieving the win.
Has only had 14 games and we're still in the cup.
Has been let down down by underperforming players, who it's about time should be held accountable.
There really is no one better available (and I'm talking top draw rather than the usual cheap/safe option).
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

An alternative would have been:

Sack the players

However we all know that's an impossibility. So what alternative is there. Maybe no one can turn this shower of ***** around. But someone has to be seen to try. What alternative is there? Stick with a (I would say tried and tested but in this case it doesn't apply) situation and hope it improves? The alternatives whatever is said, is to horrible to contemplate. Few years in the fizzy pop? Who will stay? Parker, Noble, Green, (Upson will be already off), Cole, Obinna (not that I am to bothered at present). Presume that Barrera will go, and that leaves us with a team of reserves. We won't be able to afford any quality players, Piq might stay and keep his level, but that would leave Stech, Jacobsen, Reid, Ilunga, Kovac, Collison, Stanilas, Hines, and a.n. others filling in. Doesn't fill me with excitement or inspire confidence.

:evil:
MK HAMMER
Location: Believe in me, cos I dont believe in anything and I wanna be someone to believe, to believe in.
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MK HAMMER »

Lacklustre, describes Avram and his team perfectly in my opinion.

Lets face it, his Pompey side was equal (playing staff wise) to ours last season and he could not get them out of the bottom three, adminstration or not. There still isnt a lot between the two teams and i dont believe he will get us off the bottom let alone out of the drop zone if he is here till the end of the season. Got to go while there is still a chance of survival imo.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Voted should be given more time, just like Zola should have been. I voted this on the fear of who the Chuckle Brothers will choose next.
Bubble 'N' Cheek

Post by Bubble 'N' Cheek »

Voted Unsure.

My biggest concern is if we sack him and pay him compensation then surely that could effect any money we have available in January for transfers.

So the question is are we better off sticking by Grant and allowing him to spend some money in January, or waste the transfer money on sacking Grant and get a new manager in to work with the current crop of players.

I know a lot of people on here will say we shouldn't trust Grant with the money as he wasted money he had in the Summer.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Georgee Paris wrote:I think fired from current role but moved upstairs.
To do what? Polish the empty trophy cabinet? :lol:
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

More time - but not a lot more.

Since there's no easy answer to who will replace him, let's see if changes in the coaching staff have any noticeable impact.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Matt wrote:Goes against my belief that stability is key, but just as with Zola he HAS to go because we can't afford to wait around for things to maybe improve. The risks are too high.
Ditto
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

Voted 'more time' but that could quickly change depending on Saturday's (Wigan, H) result. Bought in, in tough circumstances. Think that the David's maybe pulling a few more strings transfers wise than they would let you believe and at the end of the day you can't polish a turd and unfortunately at the moment we have at least 4 or 5 turds in our starting XI.

Whovever is in charge needs to bring in some fresh faces in January, and at the moment the best placed person to judge would be Grant. However, if we fail to win on Saturday then I would be inclined in saying that he should go immediately to give someone new the chance to formulate transfer window plans.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Well....his tactics are suspect, he spent biggish money for us on two players who look nowhere near up to PL standard anytime soon, his mumbling and general manner suggests that he doesn't have a clue what to do.............................................but how may times have we heard rumblings about a West Ham Manager losing the dressing room which tells me that it's not a managerial problem, you have the likes of Upson, Cole, Ilunga and others going through the motions, injuries to players who might make a difference etc etc.

I really don't think sacking him would make a difference........I just feel that over the last 3 years we have sold good PL players like Zamora, Etherington, Collins, Bowyer (before we even look at Bellamy) replaced them with tripe like Kovac and Benni Mc, been unable to shift dead wood (and in the case of LBM actually give them new bloddy contracts!) and as a result the chickens have come home to roost.

The "project" has finally hit home this season and Grant is paying the price.

Perhaps a new coach who players will respect and fear a little bit may help turn it around...............therefore unsure.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Voted more time. How responsible is Grant for some of the putrid displays some of the players have churned out this season? Also show me a manager out there that can make a midfield that contains Kovac and Boa Morte work with the injuries we have in that area. Unfortunately there is no viable option out there that would be willing to join us in this situation.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Voted - "Should be given more time"
False Elysium

Post by False Elysium »

Was berated by some on here in the summer for saying it was a poor appointment and that Grant is living off his time with Chelsea, were as far as im concerned ANYBODY would have been a major success with the squad that Mourinho left behind.

Ill hold my hands up and admit i have been totally against his appointment even before a ball was kicked in pre season , overrated, dour, emotionless moron with no idea of tactics... now i think as a commentator Chris Waddle is a complete c..., but even I sat there watching ESPN , listening to Waddle tear apart Grants tactics and demeanour against Liverpool and for once had to agree with the prick... playing 4-3-3 against a team that plays with one of the most attacking fullbacks in the country ... and NOT change anything till 2-0 down... and then stand at the edge of his technical area ... to change anything? no.. to shout at the players? no .. to give instructions no? to just stand there and stare .. pathetic.

Some say it doesnt matter about emotion on the touchline ... i disagree,. when u are 2-0 down ... playing the worst football of the season so far .. against a weakened Liverpool.... and your players are all over the shop ... you do something.. you say something... and if u gave them instructions before kick off.. and they not following them .. then you fkn shout at them.. you do something.. you say something... you dont just stand there staring like a dumb prick who couldnt give a toss... not unless you think you are psychic or have some kinda telepathy gift !!!

yes Avram should go.. and now ... his tactics have been **** ... the performances have been ****.. his signings (apart from Piquionne) have been ****... his team selections have been **** , and i just dont know how many more excuses he can come up with ...

"we changed things and played better in the second half against liverpool" he said ....what a load of fkn b*llocks , LIVERPOOL BACKED OFF... they were 3-0 up against a team that had ONE ATTEMPT ON TARGET all game , they knew they were never in any danger of conceding a goal and decided to cruise ... we didnt play better at all... Liverpool just took it easy.. you clueless prick !!

Id rather we took 4 million out of the transfer kitty for january and paid him off so he can fk off right now ... id rather that than Avram get another 4 million so he can blow it all on a unknown defender based in Scandinavia who had a couple of decent games in the world cup !!!

how about that one for a poll UTJ ? would fans rather take the reported 4 million to pay Grant off ... to get him out of this club? or keep Grant and give him the 4 million for transfers? ... Personally i say.. pay up his contract and get him the fk out now ..... He should never have been appointed in the first place
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I reluctantly feel now's the time for him to leave.

He is not going to rescue this position and someone else just might do that.

If we wait until the window, the rot may have gone too far and we'll be sat watching an already sunk team until May.

No thanks.