Ravel Morrison

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Ravel

Postby TurnbullHammer on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 am

http://www.westhamtillidie.com/2012/02/ ... t-me-down/
Top interview this.
Mentioned we got Ravel for a couple of million quid, but Newcastle offered 4 million. Sounds as though us not being in the Prem made us a more attractive offer in the end. Silver lining, eh
TurnbullHammer

Postby AlfieG on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 am

Sams latest comments on him and his chances of first team football anytime soon.......

Maybe a while yet, he's lacking in first-team experience at the moment and our position with the necessity to gain automatic promotion means it's a difficult place to break in to. We have a wealth of top quality experienced players already available. Ravel will have to play a patient game and wait until it's the right time for us and him.

Seems like he is nowhere near ready......................... :think:
AlfieG

Postby Romford_Iron on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 am

This whole story is such overdramatised media bull****. The press haven't had anything bad to write about West ham for months, suddenly we sign a midfielder from Manchester United who has the potential to become a brilliant player, but has a bit of a bad reputation, and suddenly the first thing he says on twitter that could be taken out of context has been.

The word faggot is rarely used by teenagers to insult gay people. It's one of the first insults they say around adults (along with gay). My 13 year old brother calls me a faggot, a fag, gay etc. all the time. It's only because he couldn't call me anything worse without getting a clout round the head from me or my mum.

Throughout my school days, the meaning of the word faggot was more like calling someone a pussy or a wimp etc. I never called a gay person a fagot in my life, and I'm sure Ravel hasn't either. He was being subjected to awful abuse on Twitter and he reacted by saying "Go suck out u little faggot your a guy that talks if u see me you try slap me I'm in manchester every week.”

Which basically translate as "**** off you pussy, you only give it the big'un over Twitter. Try and start something when you see me, I'm in Manchester every week."

Now how many of us would take a load of abuse and not respond in the same way?

The only reason he's been charged is because the media have made a big deal about it. Anyone with half a brain cell can tell he wasn't using it in a homophobic way, but becasue the media have sensasionalied it and reported it as a homophobic remark, the FA have to respond and charge him otherwise they'll be seen as condoning it. This isn't the FA's fault, it's the media's.
Romford_Iron

Postby Coops on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 pm

A £7k fine for calling somebody a faggot. The world has gone bonkers.

How much is he on per week and do the FA take this sum into consideration when handing out fines?
Coops

Postby Iron-worx on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Coops wrote:A £7k fine for calling somebody a faggot. The world has gone bonkers.

:thup:
Iron-worx

Postby vietnammer on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Dread to think what the fine would be had he called someone a saveloy or a lump of pease pudding :shock:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Location: This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

Postby hammer1975 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:38 pm

well, the main thing is that he can put that behind him and (hopefully) learn from it.

whether you think the fine is fair or not it's clear the authorities are going to be coming down on this sort of thing more and more

sounds from sam's comments that he's a bit away from the first team - although sullivan talked about him being in the first team by the end of the season in the ID interview (where he also pretty much said it was his deal and not sam's). is he playing centre mid for the development squad or wide right?

can see him displacing, a most likely on his way, faubert but not nolan or collison
hammer1975

Postby Gordon Bennett on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 am

Its PC gone mad now. Think the FA should send a list out of what words arent acceptable.

For example, unsure if its been posted already but isnt the word 'bugger' derived from buggery and therefore a gay connotation?

Can see another footballer getting fined for tweeting 'silly bugger' if there was any consistency. Then again its the FA, so I cant see that happening.....
Gordon Bennett

Postby Clacton-ammer on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 am

Mods, please please change the picture of Ravel on the home page, it feels dirty looking at our player in a Man U shirt, can we have him in a proper united shirt? If not, baggy jeans and hoodie will do, anything but that photo :|
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Chippenhammer on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 am

Crazy fine, I nicked some bell end at work yesterday and his mum called me a ****ing twat, and asshole and a wankstain. Should I expect some compensation? No it happens. I get and give worse to my colleagues every day. There is no place for homophobics in the modern world, but many of his age use the word as an insult in the same way as I would call someone a knob etc.
Chippenhammer

Postby woodford on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:41 am

thats the thing with name calling....

when we were kids ( 70's ) if you moaned that someone had called you names, your own parents would tell you the 'sticks & stones' bit and you just get on with it. Nowadays, the 'talk to the hand' generation are apparently offended by this. But when you're offended, nothing actually happens does it? You dont go and have an MRI scan and the doctor tell you he can see signs of being offended, you dont get a blood test back and have a high offended cell count. F**k sake why cant people grow a pair.

How come some gay people can openly refer to others as poofs or faggots and thats ok? Maybe the same as the dreaded N word?
woodford

Postby sendô on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 am

vietnammer wrote:Dread to think what the fine would be had he called someone a saveloy or a lump of pease pudding

:thup: I'm going to start using the word faggot more often as a vague insult against non-homosexual people.
sendô

Postby woodford on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:48 am

vietnammer wrote:Dread to think what the fine would be had he called someone a saveloy or a lump of pease pudding :shock:

and from the Hangover...."paging Doctor Faggot"
woodford

Postby Paddy O'Hammer on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:Mods, please please change the picture of Ravel on the home page, it feels dirty looking at our player in a Man U shirt, can we have him in a proper united shirt? If not, baggy jeans and hoodie will do, anything but that photo :|

At least he looks good in it on skys website - with the 7k fine headline.
Paddy O'Hammer

Postby Wembley1966 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Manchester United's Federico Macheda, Newcastle United's Nile Ranger and Walsall's Manny Smith have all been charged by the Football Association for alleged homophobic comments on Twitter.

The players are alleged to have acted in a way which was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.

Each has until 1600 GMT on Wednesday 29 February to respond to the charges.
Wembley1966

Postby mushy on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Coops wrote:. The world has gone bonkers.

You maybe fined and warned as to your future conduct for using inflammatory language such as this.
mushy

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Wembley1966 wrote:Manchester United's Federico Macheda, Newcastle United's Nile Ranger and Walsall's Manny Smith have all been charged by the Football Association for alleged homophobic comments on Twitter.

The players are alleged to have acted in a way which was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.

Each has until 1600 GMT on Wednesday 29 February to respond to the charges.

You got a link to what they wrote?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:07 pm

you wouldnt understand it anyway :)
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:you wouldnt understand it anyway

Absaloutley, but I am trying to learn new words everyday so I can abuse the young people, I'm well hip to be square me :P
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:Mods, please please change the picture of Ravel on the home page, it feels dirty looking at our player in a Man U shirt, can we have him in a proper united shirt?

I haven't been able to get one yet :)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion