Do West Ham attract Asian fans?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Do West Ham attract Asian fans?

Postby hammer on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:03 pm

vietnammer wrote:/\ Hindeedy, to a Yank Asia means Japan, Korea, Thailand, China & Vietnam and the Pacific side , whereas we use the term with the sub-continent in mind. All to do with wars, or maybe just cricket!
not only to a yank - to everyone outside britain 'asia' = japan, korea, china, vietnam, thailand etc :arry:
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Postby vietnammer on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Well Asia is, in European terms, bloody huge. I think it's true that people from either side of 'the pond' refer to Asia in terms of historical involvement, our side becaused of the Raj and the Yanks because of the Pacific war and further. Asians, from Afghanistan to Vladivostok, probably see it differently.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Hammer Dad wrote:
@Booby Oranjeboom - Think when the post went up asking about Asian fans, the selected links accompanying it made me think it might have been referring to the Indian Sub-Continent rather than South East Asia but I may be wrong.

You're highly likely right Mate, but it doesn't make what i said any less valid.. :thup:
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby btajim - mcfc on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Hackney Hammer wrote:Why? If they wish to support their local club, great. They can pay the same as the rest of us.

I'm not 100% sure that he was being serious!
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby IronsideNZ on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:15 pm

I am half Asian half NZ European - but I probably dont count as an asian fan... as I live in NZ when I go back to the south east though... to see a West Ham top is a rarity, even to buy a fake on is near impossible just the Chelsea, Man U, Now Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham and a fair bit of Everton I seemed to have noticed.

Funny thing is though when I wore a West Ham top quite often most people asked what team is that... and they would be wearing some form of Man U attire... suggests they dont even know who is in the league.
IronsideNZ

Postby Major on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:20 am

IronsideNZ wrote:I am half Asian half NZ European - but I probably dont count as an asian fan... as I live in NZ when I go back to the south east though... to see a West Ham top is a rarity, even to buy a fake on is near impossible just the Chelsea, Man U, Now Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham and a fair bit of Everton I seemed to have noticed.

Funny thing is though when I wore a West Ham top quite often most people asked what team is that... and they would be wearing some form of Man U attire... suggests they dont even know who is in the league.

I am half Asian half NZ European

How does that work? there must be at least three of you in there!!!? :lol:
Major
%&!$

Postby Georgee Paris on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:25 am

Perhaps he has an all black cock?
Georgee Paris

Postby Carlos-E12 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:21 am

Talking more about minorities in general here but...

..When I first began supporting West Ham, I struggled to find peers that also supported West Ham. No-one in school or any of my neighbours really took to the club (everyone supported Arsenal,ManU, Liverpool, etc).

These days though, I see a massive increase in actual local support for West Ham. Asians, Blacks and other minorities falling in love with the club. My younger cousin tells me in his school amongst his friends, kids get abused now for being glory-hunters and not supporting West Ham.

Brilliant imo!

Also have to shout out the tamil family who are season ticket holders. They basically come to games in a full home-kit each and every time. Brilliant support!
Carlos-E12

Postby bobbymooresbracelet on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 am

Carlos-E12 wrote:
Also have to shout out the tamil family who are season ticket holders. They basically come to games in a full home-kit each and every time. Brilliant support!

Shirt,shorts,socks,shinpads and football boots,how strange.
bobbymooresbracelet

Postby Hammers Dad on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Hammer Dad wrote:@Hammers Dad - Do people really follow the Hammers as a fad?

I swear I put a :lol: at the end....obviously not!
Hammers Dad

Postby kayahammer on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 am

Carlos-E12 wrote:

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:Shirt,shorts,socks,shinpads and football boots,how strange.

No jockstrap?
kayahammer

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:36 am

vietnammer wrote:/\ Hindeedy, to a Yank Asia means Japan, Korea, Thailand, China & Vietnam and the Pacific side , whereas we use the term with the sub-continent in mind. All to do with wars, or maybe just cricket!

hammer wrote:not only to a yank - to everyone outside britain 'asia' = japan, korea, china, vietnam, thailand etc :arry:

Not necessarily true, plenty of people I've dealt with elsewhere in Europe think of "Asian" as meaning Indian sub-continent; If you go back to the first few posts on this thread that definitley seems to be the meaning behind the question.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Major wrote:
I am half Asian half NZ European

How does that work? there must be at least three of you in there!!!? :lol:

That's modest compared to what the average American asks when i talk to them.
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby Hammer Dad on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:38 am

Took my 3.5 yr old to Upton Park on Saturday and bought him a West Ham ball and kit and more importantly, got us both Academy memberships and bought tickets to the home game against Fulham on 1 Sep as our first game together: we're now officially Hammers!

I'm really excited at the beginning of our shared football journey and really can't wait, think he'll pop when IFBB comes on, he's learnt the words and am sure he'll take pride later on in life at saying he's been going to see West Ham since he was 3!
Hammer Dad

Postby Aztec Hammer on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:47 am

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:
Shirt,shorts,socks,shinpads and football boots,how strange.

John Terry
Aztec Hammer

Postby Rocketron on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Hammer Dad wrote:Took my 3.5 yr old to Upton Park on Saturday and bought him a West Ham ball and kit and more importantly, got us both Academy memberships and bought tickets to the home game against Fulham on 1 Sep as our first game together: we're now officially Hammers!

I'm really excited at the beginning of our shared football journey and really can't wait, think he'll pop when IFBB comes on, he's learnt the words and am sure he'll take pride later on in life at saying he's been going to see West Ham since he was 3!

Good to hear.
I would normally wish you a season of happiness, but as you are about to find out, West Ham don't do happiness. :wink:
Rocketron

Postby westhamerica on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 pm

There was an Asian [American Definition] West Ham supporter here in NYC that would show up to watch matches sporadically, and WHU would lose everytime. I believe he is responsible for the 06 FA Cup Final.

Also, what word would be the UK equivalent to the 'American' Asian?
westhamerica

Location: Watching the Mexican maestro Luis Montes on Univision

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 pm

westhamerica wrote:There was an Asian [American Definition] West Ham supporter here in NYC that would show up to watch matches sporadically, and WHU would lose everytime. I believe he is responsible for the 06 FA Cup Final.

Also, what word would be the UK equivalent to the 'American' Asian?

What Country do they originate from ?
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby westhamerica on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Okay, so there is no generality -- that's what I was wondering. This fella was Japanese.
westhamerica

Location: Watching the Mexican maestro Luis Montes on Univision

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

westhamerica wrote:Okay, so there is no generality -- that's what I was wondering. This fella was Japanese.

The word for Japanese in England is Japanese :lol:

Asian generally means Pakistani, Indian, bangladeshi, sri lankan etc.....

Darker skinned people from Asia if truth be told as opposed to oriental (light skinned) asians......

Stupid really, it's like calling an Englishman a European as though we're all like the French, Germans or Greeks......
bubbles1966

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion