Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:If we do ask him to sign a new contract surely he will be asked to take a chunky wage cut with something along the lines of a basic wage of 50k p/w and when he plays it goes up to 80/100k.
If they were to offer him a new deal, as you say has to have a pay as you play basis.

Bloke is a good footballer, but ultimately a crock.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I have to say i didn't even read stijn's report as he was doubtful, i read it as it's looking good that he will play. Glass half full/empty and all that.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

kitthehammer wrote:I have to say i didn't even read stijn's report as he was doubtful, i read it as it's looking good that he will play. Glass half full/empty and all that.
Absolutely.
Absolutely Hammered! wrote:If we do ask him to sign a new contract surely he will be asked to take a chunky wage cut with something along the lines of a basic wage of 50k p/w and when he plays it goes up to 80/100k.
Surely, Carroll would tell us to do one, and join a club who is willing to give him a deal that resembles that of every other Premier League footballer. A high basic pay, with add-ons.

#Thisisn'tFootballManager
Patito

Post by Patito »

This isn't Twitter either Szola :wink:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

szola wrote:Surely, Carroll would tell us to do one, and join a club who is willing to give him a deal that resembles that of every other Premier League footballer. A high basic pay, with add-ons.

#Thisisn'tFootballManager
Can you please tell us who would pay AC what we pay him. and also the fee the two Dave's would demand, think your living in La La Land!
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

^^^^^ Yep. Quiet when he was doing well, then slithers out of the wood work. I'd actually have a bit of respect for him if he ever came on and gave credit when it's due, but he doesn't. Only ever tuns up to have a pop. Even when AC has played well and been an important part of the team, he will never give him credit in a match thread when he lists the players that have done well.

And then has the audacity to go on other threads and moan about posters digging out players, and making comments like 'we should get behind everybody, we are West Ham UNITED'.

It's the hypocrisy that's astounding. Even though I'm a huge fan of AC, if he has a stinker, at least I'll say he has.
szola

Post by szola »

jaybs wrote:Can you please tell us who would pay AC what we pay him. and also the fee the two Dave's would demand, think your living in La La Land!
1. If we don't give him a new deal, his current contract will end in two seasons time. Current market value would have to reflect that, his age, injury record and re-sale value. So I'd guess south of £10M.

I would say every team WBA and down, including the three that will come up in the summer, would have £10M to spend on Andy Carroll.

2. Let's say Carroll has £80' p/w and would want a deal that will give him £100' p/w, starting August of this year. He is currently 6 goals from 12 league games. Looking at the goal rates of other big centre forwards out side the top seven - Benteke, Llorente, Rondon, Negredo, Austin - he is the best of that league. Even given his injury record, he'll chip in with as much as those players.

Every team from WBA and down have at least one top dollar attacker in the line up, or could have. So I'd guess the majority of PL teams would give Carroll a 100' p/w salary.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

We have a striker who has proven himself over the last 4 seasons to be one of the best big front men in the league over a 15 - 20 game period. This season, we've won something like 75% of our matches when he has started which means he has essentially kept us in the division.

He's worth everything we pay him. Sadly, he is only available for two thirds of the season at best and the board and the manager have absolutely failed this season by not replacing a striker to support him and play in his absence.

I love that we have Andy Carroll at West Ham. I really love watching us play when he is in the team, but it's pretty much a disgrace that despite him playing less than 70% of our games since he joined that we haven't got a striker worthy of the name to cover for him.

I guarantee there will be at least 10 strikers sitting on the bench for Premier League clubs in the coming weeks who are all far, far better options than Calleri through the middle. It's disapointing to say the least...and it's not Carroll's fault.
polar
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by polar »

TTS - which players are you thinking off? I think it would be hard to find someone of proven Premiership quality who would be willing to back up AC. Basically, someone whose ability to play is dependent upon the availability of AC or not. You may have someone in mind in which case fair enough.

I think the role is best served by someone up and coming, a Scott Hogan perhaps. I don't think its best served by a Sully Special, as it currently is.
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

Harsh on Calleri . Barely played and showed glimpses.

Also, we should have someone better than most teams have on their bench, Diafra Sakho.
Another crock. We need to offload one of him or Carroll realistically that is the issue.

Sakho is the obvious choice IMO.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

In his last 4 or 5 games he has been tremendous for us.

No one can dispute his injury record, but come on, who really wouldnt want him playing for us in that sort of form.

Its a real bit of bad luck and I'll just leave it at that.
sw3hammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by sw3hammer »

Is he in Dubai?
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Benteke has a much better goalscoring and fitness record than Carroll. Benteke may have played more games this season, but he also has more goals.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Benteke also has a couple of penalties to his name (as well as a miss or two); take those scored pens away and Benteke has scored one(?) more goal than Carroll this season.
szola

Post by szola »

Benteke has scored nine goals in the league, and has an assist
Carroll has scored six, and has zero assists

Benteke has played 2000 min of PL football this season
Carroll has played 800 min of PL football this season

Benteke has missed 30 games through injury since 2013
Carroll has missed 99 games through injury since 2013

Most of Carroll's injuries has been knee and foot.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by hammers92 »

WorcesterWHU wrote:Benteke also has a couple of penalties to his name (as well as a miss or two); take those scored pens away and Benteke has scored one(?) more goal than Carroll this season.
To be fair to Benteke, to have that total for a team in the bottom 3 is very good. He'd score plenty here with the right service. But the debate is about improving our options on Carroll and ensuring that our best striker (who still remains Carroll) isn't missed too much the next time he gets injured.

If that means buying Benteke AND Defoe/Sturridge etc then so be it.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

great player when fit and displays passion for the club.

however if we want to challenge we cant rely on him.

need to buy another number one striker and play him with carroll when hes fit.

best football we have played was when we had a fit and running sakho and valencia.

would like someone like martial or rashford to press from the front .

carroll as impact sub.

new contract must be on pay for play basis. increase his wage but would only apply if he stayed fit
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

polar wrote:TTS - which players are you thinking off? I think it would be hard to find someone of proven Premiership quality who would be willing to back up AC. Basically, someone whose ability to play is dependent upon the availability of AC or not. You may have someone in mind in which case fair enough.

I think the role is best served by someone up and coming, a Scott Hogan perhaps. I don't think its best served by a Sully Special, as it currently is.
I don't think we should be signing a back up, we should be signing someone who is at least as good as Carroll.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

szola wrote:
1. If we don't give him a new deal, his current contract will end in two seasons time..

I would say every team WBA and down, including the three that will come up in the summer, would have £10M to spend on Andy Carroll.
2 years as you say, no problem, no one can tell what condition he will be in come two years time, we may wish we had got rid of him, that is the chance we take, but as I have said before No one at all has showed the slightest interest in him, even though you name clubs most likely.

We have know the way our owners think, No Way would they even consider selling him for £10 million, though in 2 years that may be a good sell.