Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend ?

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Romford_Iron wrote:
While we're posing questions; I'll pose another one ( :wink: ); as a fan of West Ham United are you a willing to completely sever all ties with West Ham United as you know it (apart from our name and the colour of the kit) just for a chance at winning the league?
I take it you are referring to our move to the Olympic Stadium ?

I would say it was completely out of the ordinary West Ham Fan's hand from the very beginning - our minds were made up for us by a higher authority .

How about getting a whip round going to buy The Boleyn off the Daves and start all over again - Thames Ironworks United ?
Or shall we just go and win the League as West Ham United ?
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I'm 22 and Noble along with Tomkins are to me legends. I've never experienced the Bonds, Brookings or Moores but these two are what represent West Ham and to the younger generation they are legends. In a time when players leave clubs and show no loyalty to anyone, they will be remembered for the fantastic service they have given.

I know this is a Noble thread but I'm throwing in Tomkins as well because I view him as highly as Noble. It really is great to hold up two players and say they're two of our own
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

hammers92 wrote:
I know this is a Noble thread but I'm throwing in Tomkins as well because I view him as highly as Noble. It really is great to hold up two players and say they're two of our own
I'm in complete agreement .
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

bubbles1966 wrote:What's Darren Fletcher got to do with it?
The correct answer was 'no'. :D
chappo59 wrote:As TOMOS alluded to, he's a good player but is the fact that he's from Canning Town clouding some people's judgement?
As much as the fact that he doesn't have a fancy foreign name might cloud others' maybe...
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

To stick to the question of this thread: Very definitely will be a West Ham legend if he isn't already as the new contract has seen to that. Now make him captain! :scarfer:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Romford_Iron wrote:
You sir; are a ****.

If you don't like his posts ignore them, but don't lay into someone for defending our players which WE should be supporting.

I'm losing it with West Ham these days. There's no support anymore. Just greedy pricks who want to win the league.

We've becoming Spurs. :thdn:
It's every thread though my friend. It's tedious.

I haven't even slagged Noble off in here and it bugged me. No player is immune to criticism but in Mark's world we should all be stood with foam fingers on shouting 'we're the best'.
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

RichieRiv wrote:
And therein lies the problem.
Please elaborate good sir.

What's the alternative? If you give everyone a voice, you're bound to find the an unreasoned idiot or two...from a negativity and positivity perspective.

Both as irritating as each other.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Some posters, myself included, think Noble is one of our very best players. Others don't understand why we think that way and seem to assume that we do because he is one of our own.

If that were the case wouldn't we all be clamouring for Dan Potts at left back and going crazy about all the young players being let go recently?

We like him as a footballer because we think he is a very good player.

It's a bonus that he is local and West Ham. It doesn't cloud our judgement of his ability it just makes us like him more.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I take it you are referring to our move to the Olympic Stadium ?

I would say it was completely out of the ordinary West Ham Fan's hand from the very beginning - our minds were made up for us by a higher authority .

How about getting a whip round going to buy The Boleyn off the Daves and start all over again - Thames Ironworks United ?

Or shall we just go and win the League as West Ham United ?
I'm referring to everything to be honest mate. I was in the Pro camp with regard to the stadium at the beginning because, as much as I love West Ham, I also wanted us to be successful.

But maybe I was a bit naive back then and couldn't foresee the problems with regards to keeping our identity and making it our own home. I was of the belief that the fans make the club, and although I still believe that, I believe us as fans are now only focusing on success due to the impeding loss of our "home", because that's how we've justified the move to ourselves...

"Oh it's ok saying goodbye to the Boylen, because we're going to be successful because of it."

Therefore all loyalty we as fans have become renowned for, seems to be slowly fading away. That's why this thread is drawing an emotive response from me; because it just highlights how much we're changing as a fan base, both in our expectations as a club and of our treatment of our players. The latter is evident with all these negative comments about our longest serving and most loyal player (who is the only one in our current set up that bleeds claret and blue) just because some people want to move onwards an upwards.

I don't know anymore. Maybe I'm alone in wanting a local lad to lift a trophy (if we were to win one), rather than our highest paid mercenary who we've only made captain to stop him moving to Spurs.

Something just doesn't feel right anymore.

We've sold our soul. :cry:
Last edited by Romford_Iron on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Billydinho wrote:It's every thread though my friend. It's tedious.

I haven't even slagged Noble off in here and it bugged me. No player is immune to criticism but in Mark's world we should all be stood with foam fingers on shouting 'we're the best'.
A wise men once said; "We are what we think" :wink:
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

miles wrote:
As much as the fact that he doesn't have a fancy foreign name might cloud others' maybe...
Fair point Miles, I suppose there are so few home grown players breaking through to PL first teams that the celebration seems heightened when they do.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Romford_Iron wrote: We've sold our soul. :cry:
Reminds me of the old London song (according to Jools Holland iircc): Our Souls, Our Souls, Our Souls, Our Souls, Our Souls! (drawn out).

Not a comment on the thread or Romford_Iron's views (seem very sensible to me), I just couldn't resist.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Romford_Iron wrote:
I'm referring to everything to be honest mate....
That Sir, is as top, top post.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

hammers92 wrote:these two are what represent West Ham and to the younger generation they are legends. In a time when players leave clubs and show no loyalty to anyone, they will be remembered for the fantastic service they have given.
I think thats the difference between the opinions on here, the younger generation generally think Nobles a legend because he's the younger generations Bonzo.
Wiltshire Ham err...
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Wiltshire Ham err... »

He's a legend to me. The local connection is very important but the main thing is the way he has just got on with it and stuck with us.

Carlos Tevez is a West Ham legend and maybe in future that's the kind of legend we will have - world class players - but I think as Romford suggests we will become a different club and the main thing I'm bothered about is that I was involved in the old club. Nothing I can do about the new one really - that'll be all about money - like the new Wembley.

Some of those who judge Mark Noble to be unworthy of legend status are probably judging it on computer game football standards and who knows in the new stadium with enough backing that will be the way to judge a player as we'll be buying our legends then not making them.
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

Mega Ron wrote:
going crazy about all the young players being let go recently?
umm, this happens everytime we let someone go
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

No it doesn't.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Billydinho wrote:Up until his assist, he was dreadful against Spurs.

Chuffed he's got a new deal though.
Effing hell Bill - thats a bit harsh. I thought he was excellent, best game since Everton away in the cup.

Opinions eh ...

I'll hold my hands and admit he cant do alot wrong in my eyes, hasnt been his best season, a few dips but hes a proper player on his day. Makes us tick - quite a unique style and role for an english player these days.

God bless the Cockney Pirlo.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

It's shows that there has been a dramatic cultural shift in the internet fan. The level of bitching and moaning we experience on this forum is at an all time high. Was it this bad 5 years ago? I don't think so.

It's a sad indictment of West Ham fans when they cannot appreciate a player who has spent 10 years with the same club, especially considering the way football is today. Steve Potts may not have been a world class player, but would people be dishing out the same vitriol?
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

RichieRiv wrote:It's shows that there has been a dramatic cultural shift in the internet fan. The level of bitching and moaning we experience on this forum is at an all time high. Was it this bad 5 years ago? I don't think so.

It's a sad indictment of West Ham fans when they cannot appreciate a player who has spent 10 years with the same club, especially considering the way football is today. Steve Potts may not have been a world class player, but would people be dishing out the same vitriol?
Agreed with your sentiment but I can't really say I've seen a lot of vitriolic abuse at Noble. If there is it's ridiculous, not because of how counter productive it would be, but he is actually one of our best players.

Without him in the side, we just don't tick at all.

Oh, and I f*cking loved Steve Potts!