Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Ben »

I was confused when I went in Westfield, I feel like I missed a huge part of it?
it was just like someone said, a walkway with some shops in it, but it didn't feel big or anything - is there a main part I have missed? we were the for the season ticket sign up in that pop up shop they used
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The bloody things got about 5 levels, offering many different things, not necessarily shopping but entertainment. With plenty of offerings outside the shell of it also. It's a little bit more than just a couple of Sports directs and JJBs in a retail park, which was more to my original point.

As far as shopping centres go, it's a beast.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

It's like a four floor version of Lakeside or Bluewater. The Reservation Centre was on the exterior of the shopping centre which is an additional bit.
leveller

Post by leveller »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:It's dull, consumerist and vulgar and has no charm at all, just big brand names at big prices and offers me nothing attractive whatsoever in spending any money, whether it be on food, or retail.
Basically yeah. And it's being exacerbated by a board and Vice Chair that don't give a f*** about atmosphere or accommodating those that want to create it and have instead actively prevented it. They could easily improve that part a bit by having singing sections but they very clearly don't want them.

Outside of the ground I actually don't have much of an issue with if you avoid the getting herded like sheep past/through Westfield bit. As stated above there are plenty of traditional pubs, the walk from Stratford High Street through the Carpenters Estate feels real enough and the walk along the Greenway is nice enough.
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

morganwhu wrote:Found someones season ticket on the floor on the way back to my seat at half time.

They were a few blocks away and rows up from me.

Handed to a steward and said please can you go and give this to the guy who's dropped it, 'not my responsibility' was the answer.

So I done it myself, got back to my seat about 10 mins into second half.

Great stewarding.

:thdn: ground
**** stewards
shocking that, I would report him but its unlikely the club would be arsed. good on you though. top hammer
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

BARKING IRON wrote:Been there 4 times this season enjoyed the stadium every time, but I can understand why going every fortnight will become tiresome with the long walk to anywhere it doesn't help that the place is so vast and up and down I'm probably doing the same walk as I was doing at Upton Park but it didn't feel as bad cos it was residential and built up so you only got a view of the stadium when you were there not half a mile away.
Give it a few years and the 10,000 new households they're planning and you'll be walking through residential areas to get to the stadium:
http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... and-living
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

James P wrote:It's like a four floor version of Lakeside or Bluewater. The Reservation Centre was on the exterior of the shopping centre which is an additional bit.
that explains it! :thup:
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Wembley1966 wrote:Give it a few years and the 10,000 new households they're planning and you'll be walking through residential areas to get to the stadium:
http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... and-living
Not to mention more offices, more shops, bars, 2 x museums, a university campus etc.

At the moment it does feel a bit desolate, isolated, and windswept, but make the most of the open spaces as the whole park is a huge work in progress and will soon be a lot more urbanised.
letchworth hammer

Covered seats

Post by letchworth hammer »

Hi Boys & Girls

I'm quite used to seeing the covered seats between us and the away fans as I usually go into block 124, but at the Everton match I was in block 239 which gave me a better view to the top of the Moore & Brooking stands. I noticed a load of seats at the top of the stands which were covered over, any reason why apart from being to far away to see the pitch?

Thanks
Rich
Pot Upnorth

Re: Covered seats

Post by Pot Upnorth »

I think these are the seats which will make up the proposed 60k/66k capacity if permission is granted
Nels
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Nels »

I think its the other 5,000 which moves us from a 55,000 to 60,000 seater but we are not allowed to sell until everyone sits down.
So now common sense has prevailed and the standing, in a few small areas, has been allowed or rather not enforced ,as it was at UP in BML and chav corner,especially as it is next to the away support which always stand and no action is taken .
We may be granted the safety certificate for 60k.
leveller

Post by leveller »

The current capacity is 57k. They have to leave 3k uncovered seats empty every game. The covered seats would take it from 60k to 67k.

I very much doubt the capacity restriction ever had much if anything to do with standing, that's just what they were saying to try and get people to sit down.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

I wish they'd install seats that aren't white and stick out when unoccupied. It's embarrassing how many empty seats there are at every home game, but more so because they are so visible.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Nels wrote:I think its the other 5,000 which moves us from a 55,000 to 60,000 seater but we are not allowed to sell until everyone sits down.
So now common sense has prevailed and the standing, in a few small areas, has been allowed or rather not enforced ,as it was at UP in BML and chav corner,especially as it is next to the away support which always stand and no action is taken .
We may be granted the safety certificate for 60k.
I think you'll find it was nothing to do with standing but it suited Brady to say it was.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

There's 66,763 seats in the stadium in 'pitch sports mode' (i.e. football) FOI request 15-046. Of these 3,792 are covered up behind the goals and the other ones covered are for segregation. So current number of uncovered seats is above 60,000.

Other FOI requests have shown that the delay in raising the safety capacity from 57,000 to 60,000 is nothing to do with standing but due to other ongoing safety issues relating to stewarding and egress. To go above 60,000 would require additional toilets and catering facilities.
hxhammer

Post by hxhammer »

All this debate about the extra seats to lift the capacity to 60K, baffles me, we can't fill what we've got?
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

As Wembley says it seems any increase to 60,000 and then 66,000 is more of an infrastructure issue at present. Toilets, stewarding,access,catering facilities etc need to be improved before any extra capacity will be allowed.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

kayahammer wrote:I wish they'd install seats that aren't white and stick out when unoccupied. It's embarrassing how many empty seats there are at every home game, but more so because they are so visible.
I wish the seat owners would turn up occasionally or sell to others (there's a couple behind me that only attend on the odd trip from Canada and this at £1100/seat). I'd call them deluded until I consider that they may be getting more joy from not attending than I have from actually going to the games!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

My old man reckons there are about a dozen band 1 seats by him which seem to be a few adults and the rest kids. They've all been used once or twice, he says a couple of adults turn up for all the games and the rest are empty. He asked the blokes why and they said their kids support different teams and pop along when we're playing them.

Whoever devised the plus 2 founders b*llocks should be sacked on the spot.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Doc H Ball wrote:
Whoever devised the plus 2 founders b*llocks should be sacked on the spot.
Probably our Karren and she'll be quite happy to have the money whether anyone sits there or not.