Marko Arnautovic

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: Marko Arnautovic Signs

Post by Al Fisti »

Alan Shearer singles out Marko Arnautovic for special praise in his Team of the Week :thup:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/853013?sf197915644=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Al Fisti

Post by Al Fisti »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:

From Page 10 to Page 25 is just post after post slagging poor Arnie off , there are perhaps half a dozen exceptions - Al Fisti , myself and a few others kept their heads . :)

To be fair to the critics , Arnie didn't get off to the best of starts and it wasn't until David Moyes came along that he started showing glimpses of what he was to become .
:thup:
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

Is it me or has Arnie seemed to change his game up a little this year? Seems far more intelligent about his play, where as last year he was playing like a bulldozer.

Obviously it's not an issue, as he's still getting goals & assists. Probably for the best actually, as he's probably less likely to get a bad injury.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:He was shyte and getting sent off didn't help.

Since then he has applied himself and is now our biggest star since Payet.

Nowt wrong with calling it as one sees it at the time, as long as one can hold a hand up and say "I was wrong."
He was poor , he took time to settle - but what I didn't like was post after post slagging him off saying he was a waste of money - there's not enough patience shown on here sometimes .

' Don't rate him , average luxury player ' .

' Think we might have had our pants pulled down '

' Don't see him fitting in here '

' Never rated him , massively overpriced '

' Just utter dogshite '

' Gokhan Tore did more in his time here '

' Who came up with the idea to sign him '

' Sulking thug pony waste of space '

' Awful signing for the money we paid ' .

:lol:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Briggsy wrote:Is it me or has Arnie seemed to change his game up a little this year? Seems far more intelligent about his play, where as last year he was playing like a bulldozer.

Obviously it's not an issue, as he's still getting goals & assists. Probably for the best actually, as he's probably less likely to get a bad injury.
My guess is that he's gaining more and more experience playing in that position. He was always a winger in the past (whenever I saw him play anyway) so is still relatively new to playing up top.

Even though he's still shy of a year of playing as a striker, he's one of the best in the league.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: He was poor , he took time to settle - but what I didn't like was post after post slagging him off saying he was a waste of money - there's not enough patience shown on here sometimes .

' Don't rate him , average luxury player ' .

' Think we might have had our pants pulled down '

' Don't see him fitting in here '

' Never rated him , massively overpriced '

' Just utter dogshite '

' Gokhan Tore did more in his time here '

' Who came up with the idea to sign him '

' Sulking thug pony waste of space '

' Awful signing for the money we paid ' .

:lol:
It generally is like that here, and he looked like a bad signing at first, and though I didn't comment at the time, (I don't like slagging players off) I did think he was a waste of money. However he has come good, whether through Moyes or some other factor, and is now getting the praise his performances deserve.

From my time on the terraces (and in the stands) it's always been like this. However good performances are usually noticed and minds do change.
Aaron-aldinho
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by Aaron-aldinho »

Moyes can take the credit for the position change but from how he was when he got sent off and the reputation he had. To come back from that to what he has become now the man himself deserves enormous praise he genuinely seems to play for the good of the team and takes it upon himself to make the difference in the right way where previously no club could really say that about him? The individual quality wasn't in doubt the but the application definately was. But now Hes become the example to follow and more.
The Old Man of Storr

pharaoh wrote:
From my time on the terraces (and in the stands) it's always been like this. However good performances are usually noticed and minds do change.
Yes , I know - and I was only having a bit of a laugh pointing out the various criticisms of the player who would become our Hammer Of The Year , it's easy looking back and normally I wouldn't be so naughty but the little devil on my shoulder told me to do it - there were a few who saw that Arnautovic's inability to settle down as quickly as some were demanding was just a blip , it wasn't all doom and gloom . Just goes to show that even the best players can sometimes need time to settle into a new environment just as some players will need time to adjust to a new style of play .

Sometimes we just need to be patient and reward will follow .
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Sometimes (often) I couldn't believe we got Payet.

Feel similar about keeping Arnie this Summer. Genuinely surprised there weren't big offers coming in. Maybe because most top sides already have his position covered?

He's a special talent. Could easily be playing for a CL team. If there's a weakness in his game I've yet to see it.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:He was poor , he took time to settle - but what I didn't like was post after post slagging him off saying he was a waste of money - there's not enough patience shown on here sometimes
There’s a thread where he was in someone’s worst ever WHU 11 after his third game

(I can be gloaty, as I said he would be a good signing on page 1)

Not enough patience in the game full stop TOMOS - Lyall would have been sacked at the start of the 80s if it had been the modern game
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

I think he’s great and if he can learn to be just a little less selfish then he’ll be even better. Best thing I’ve seen him do recently was in the last match when he passed to Yarmo instead of smashing it into the side netting like he’s prone to do. Pellers will help him.

He’s quite a lot better as a striker than I gave him credit for, to be fair.
PortCityIron
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by PortCityIron »

Him, knowing about the shysters in charge along with the rumours about them, just wanted to make sure his game cheque didn't bounce. Once he saw it cleared he applied himself. Simple as that
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

On many occasions this season I have noticed that his first touch is really fantastic especially controlling a long ball in the air he is brilliant at it watch out for it in the next few games. :)
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

lazy ****

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

someone on Saturday was telling me they think Arnie :) is slow
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

At his best playing for us when we play swift counter attacking football

As are most of our current players

Whilst i’m at it - is that style of play in our dna? We seem to play our best football when we go countering (in my lifetime) and as fans we seem to respond to the thrill and excitement of it.
Al Fisti

Post by Al Fisti »

ageing hammer wrote:On many occasions this season I have noticed that his first touch is really fantastic especially controlling a long ball in the air he is brilliant at it watch out for it in the next few games. :)
Absolutely :thup:

There are only a few player who can handle long, difficult balls as well as him
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

From what I have seen of Yarmolenko, (so far) he most certainly can....
The Old Man of Storr

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:From what I have seen of Yarmolenko, (so far) he most certainly can....
Noticed that on Sunday too . :thup:

I have to admit that I'd never seen him play prior to him joining West Ham but he came with more medals and accolades than Idi Amin - watching him on Sunday he didn't look like he was going to beat anyone for speed yet he kept the ball well , controlled the ball very well and took both his goals very very well .
When he reaches peak fitness we'll be able to see exactly what he's capable of , don't think we've seen half of it yet .

Arnautovic - Anderson - Yarmolenko - Lanzini - Rice - Diop - Fabianski

It's all coming together .
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

couple of times in the Bournemouth and Wolves games (I think it was) there were a couple of high balls coming down about the half way line, and he took it out of the air on top of his foot......

that's what made my mind up (and ditto to you) not having seen him that much at all..

he should be well up to speed now, 3 games in just over a week, 2 for the Ukraine national team and now the 90 minutes for us.....

if he doesn't start it can only be for tactical reasons......
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

He did have a poor start for us, not helped by his hefty price tag. He only really started sparking in late November, around the time Moyes took over.
He's now a firm favourite with many of us. I think he's matured & finally found, 'his team'. So glad he didn't leave in the summer.