Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 18 days remaining

Post by Hayden »

Didn’t Snodders say Bilic told him he wanted to play him on the left and be a Payet replacement even though he’s a right sided player? Hardly a good start to his career.

I actually think he could be a useful squad player and could surprise people. We haven’t got the clout to have 25 stars in our list so you need people like him who can do a decent job when called upon. His performances for us were pretty bad, but also at a time where he was surrounded by bad performances and club morale was at a record low pretty much. I’m willing to give him a clean slate - I don’t by any means think he’ll be troubling our first choice 11 but think he’ll be solid enough.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Snodgrass found his level last year. Now that Villa have found some investment, hopefully they come back in for him.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Hayden wrote:Didn’t Snodders say Bilic told him he wanted to play him on the left and be a Payet replacement even though he’s a right sided player? Hardly a good start to his career.
He had plenty chances on the right hand side and was absolutely appalling.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

wizzo_66 wrote:
How many is plenty?
Redkanpps dog

Post by Redkanpps dog »

According to this site, Quina is on £8k a week and Rice on £1k a week.

https://sillyseason.com/football/west-h ... ies-85619/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Snodgrass isn't a great player.... but he is a better player than what he showed for us. We were in such a state at the time and with such a negative feeling around the place, it would have been extremely hard for a new player to settle in. Snodgrass didn't perform.... but at the same time, nobody else in the team did either. We were crap.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: How many is plenty?
He made 15 appearances for us - swapping onto both flanks at various times and I don't recall a game where I didn't think he played absolutely turd at all times if I'm being honest.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

wizzo_66 wrote:
The only player who I'd describe as looking appalling when played on the wing for us in recent seasons is Arnautovic. And for more minutes than Snodgrass did.

Given a change of position saw an improvement in that instance I don't think Snodgrass's gripe is entirely without merit either.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Redkanpps dog wrote:According to this site, Quina is on £8k a week and Rice on £1k a week.

https://sillyseason.com/football/west-h ... ies-85619/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure about Rice, but I seem to recall Ex had him being offered £8k while Haksabanovic is on £18k, Oxford on £20k, and Quina on £12k-£15k.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Ozza wrote:Quina is only 18 and looks excellent against players his age, I'd be disappointed if we ship him out, defo one that might come back to bite us.
We may not have a say - he's out of contract next summer and can walk for what would be a really tiny tribunal fee (given his lack of games for us). At least now we can negotiate some sort of terms.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Aceface wrote: And for more minutes than Snodgrass did..
You sure about that? I'd revisit the stats!
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

We just paid £53m for two new signings who have played most of the last two seasons at right wing. We also have the HOTY from season before last having played there.

The position that Snodgrass says he hasn’t had a chance in (and he performed well at for Villa)

He’s not performed as well for us as he could but the opportunity cost is being able to recycle the money (fee and wages) into positions where we do need strengthening - because right wing clearly isn’t one of those positions.

Worth remembering also that he is not classed as homegrown.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Problem is when Snodgrass was signed we were all over the place tactically and to be fair I think most would have struggled. Our creative outlet has been minimal and we had no tactical identity, we was reliant on truly exceptional players to create something for us, for example Arnie last year.

Snodgrass isn't a bad player, got a good cross on him but he is never going to be Ronaldo! A squad player and that is what we need.
The money thing doesn't really have much impact, if we got circa £7m and had an extra £60k a week who are we seriously going to sign who would cost that money and be happy with the occasional outing from the bench?

Quina is a funny one, there is obviously something there for the calibre of clubs supposedly interested in the boy. He hasn't impressed when he has played but to be fair that hasn't been very often. He seemed a little lightweight to me though.
Don't understand the quoted figure of £600k though, if that many clubs are interested why would it be so low? Supply and demand and all that - must be more than meets the eye!
dixie1978
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by dixie1978 »

Apparently Diego Reyes on his way to the UK for a medical, only clubs I am aware have been linked is us and Newcastle!
bobd_uk

Post by bobd_uk »

Johnny_C WHU wrote:The money thing doesn't really have much impact, if we got circa £7m and had an extra £60k a week who are we seriously going to sign who would cost that money and be happy with the occasional outing from the bench?
It may not be about signings though. We've spent around £100m this summer. That could have been on the understanding that £30-40m was brought back in from sales. If we don't sell him we may need to sell someone else instead.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammer1975 wrote:We just paid £53m for two new signings who have played most of the last two seasons at right wing. We also have the HOTY from season before last having played there.
Some on here would say that Antonio is best as a left winger.

If Pellegrini decides we should keep Snodgrass, we should keep Snodgrass. Same with any other player in the squad, to be honest. I'd rather he went because I think we'd do just as well with someone like Holland or Haksabanovic in his place and he's just going to block their passage to first team football, but it's up to the manager.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Johnny_C WHU wrote: Don't understand the quoted figure of £600k though, if that many clubs are interested why would it be so low? Supply and demand and all that - must be more than meets the eye!
BOBD has given us the answer (to my question as well), he's out of contract end of the season

Cheers BOBD :thup:
Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

It may not be about signings though. We've spent around £100m this summer. That could have been on the understanding that £30-40m was brought back in from sales. If we don't sell him we may need to sell someone else instead.[/quote]

Of course, I understand that and I do expect sales very soon to counter the amount we have spent so far. To be fair the amount they have spent to date has surprised me, and not sustainable.

we do need to get rid of the likes of Snodgrass eventually but I think it depends on the interest in Antonio and Hernandez on how many fringe players we sell this summer.
Some others have posted the squad by position and there are not many positions I would consider to be crowded.

I appreciate your point though, I would rather sell 4 fringe players and keep Arnie!!
Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

BOBD has given us the answer (to my question as well), he's out of contract end of the season

Cheers BOBD :thup:[/quote]

Thanks I appreciate the update, missed that one! :thup:
bobd_uk

Post by bobd_uk »

Johnny_C WHU wrote:Some others have posted the squad by position and there are not many positions I would consider to be crowded.
We have 3 RB's so Byram can go. With Balbuena, Diop, Ogbonna, Rice and Reid, we can afford to sell Oxford and possibly even one of the ones listed (depending on the severity of Reid's injury of course). I'd say we have enough wide players that we can afford to lose one. With Noble, Obiang, Wilshere and Kouyate we can afford to sell Fernandes (or, as I would, keep him and sell Kouyate!). There are a few that could go without any major impact.