We will sign (Bowyer) 'Bowyer signs, official!'

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Lee Bowyer for under a mill ...

Poll ended at Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:37 am

Sign him up Pards
52%
No thankyou
48%

Total votes: 279

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Claretdave wrote:A slight side issue, but I cannot think of many players that would divide supporters so much (going by the poll here).

Should that have been a consideration of Pards?
No. He is paid to bring success to the club. If he thinks Bowyer is the best way to do that then so be it.

The whole not signing kanoute because of the fans was a PR stunt. He didn't sign him as he only manages 20 games a season!

I'd be worried if Pardew listened to what the fans think TBH.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

I posted last night and reading whats been said since i completely agree with Major & RichieRiv, nice posts lads :niceone:
Iron worker
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Iron worker »

I think it's a good bit of business, i just wonder how him and NRC get on when he starts barking at him, i think Pardew can keep him in line. Hopefully, they'll make a perfect pairing in the middle, Bowyer allowing Nige to burst forward as he likes to do.
window74
Location: 5000 miles away in NC & yet only minutes away from Wembley!
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by window74 »

However much i have always said i did not want the rtacist twat here,Pards has decided to bring him in & in all honesty Pards has normally beeen spot on with his signings,on his day Bowyer is certainly a player with alot of class with the added bonus of being able to score a few goals & so as he is now a West Ham player he will get my support.
I hope he does well for us & has left all his baggage behind him.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Dont want to get caught up into the politics of the signing but Pardew has signed another player who has some roots in the area and on paper at least feels he wants to put something back .................now Pard go get John Terry !
Harewood-3.16

Post by Harewood-3.16 »

Perspective peoples, he cost nothing!!!!!!, we can throw him out on his ass tomorrow if we felt like it and it wudnt matter to us. He has taken massive paycut to be here (anyone care to give me 50% of there wage)

If someone can find any better player then Bowyer we can get on a free and on 20k wages give him Pards number
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

window74 wrote:However much i have always said i did not want the rtacist twat here,Pards has decided to bring him in & in all honesty Pards has normally beeen spot on with his signings,on his day Bowyer is certainly a player with alot of class with the added bonus of being able to score a few goals & so as he is now a West Ham player he will get my support.
I hope he does well for us & has left all his baggage behind him.
Well said. Best post I've read on the subject all day!

The only thing I could possibly add is that he'll also add a bit of bite to our midfield
herofix

Post by herofix »

What I like about this: Extremely good business for the money and the areas he can cover. He has local roots, supports the club, and that always feels good to have those people in your team.

What I don't like about this: I am afraid that the team spirit we had last year could be affected, and I defy anyone to tell me that team spirit wasn't important to our success this past season.

I hope I'm wrong about that, and I hope what I think about Bowyer is wrong. He has a chance to redeem himself in my eyes, not just on the pitch, for what it's worth I think Bowyer should make a point of trying to proactively (for lack of a less wanky word) clear his reputation that some people like me think he's earned. I'm sure if he did, Pete would find it in his heart to forgive him. :wink: But he does need to earn my respect, whereas I would give most players respect straight away until they did something to lose it.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Before I ask this, I will say that Im quietly pleased with this signing so Im not kicking off.

But if he is this local lad who has been West Ham all his life etc etc etc, then why did he not stick around once we went down to try to help get us back.?
SxHammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by SxHammer »

herofix wrote: But he does need to earn my respect, whereas I would give most players respect straight away until they did something to lose it.
What's he done to lose your respect?
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Herts Iron wrote:Before I ask this, I will say that Im quietly pleased with this signing so Im not kicking off.

But if he is this local lad who has been West Ham all his life etc etc etc, then why did he not stick around once we went down to try to help get us back.?
Probably because we were in free fall and slashing our playing budget
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

herofix wrote:What I like about this: Extremely good business for the money and the areas he can cover. He has local roots, supports the club, and that always feels good to have those people in your team.

What I don't like about this: I am afraid that the team spirit we had last year could be affected, and I defy anyone to tell me that team spirit wasn't important to our success this past season.

But he does need to earn my respect, whereas I would give most players respect straight away until they did something to lose it.
I agree. He will have to prove himself from the start, but going on the reported comments, he obviously feels he has something to prove

Re:-team spirit. Again I agree. It may seem like a gamble, but at the end of the day, Pards isn't the sort of manager to put up with ****. I also feel Pards is the type to get the best out of Bowyer. The bottom line is he will be on trial, until he's proved himself, so if he steps out of line, straight in the stiffs!

All the pluses I can see are on the pitch. All the negatives seem to be based on people's opinion of him as a person. Whatever our opinion, I feel we have to give him the benefit of the doubt until we see how he shapes up in claret n blue
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Herts Iron wrote: But if he is this local lad who has been West Ham all his life etc etc etc, then why did he not stick around once we went down to try to help get us back.?
Would you if you could get twice as much money, play European football and stay in the England reckoning by going elsewhere?

Given the squad and the manager, he must have seen taht we wouldn't be back anytime soon!
herofix

Post by herofix »

SxHammer wrote: What's he done to lose your respect?
:roll: Should I take the bait?

He has behaved like a spoilt brat on a few occasions. Let's just say that. Whether he had any other motivations other than being a spoilt brat, I can't say for certain. Unlike some, I have a hard time getting behind a player if I don't think they are a decent bloke. If he is a decent bloke, I'm sure that will become clear in due time.

Like Stu says, let's just hold our breath. I voted 'no' on the poll, but in Pards we trust.
Budinski

Post by Budinski »

IMO the bloke is a grade A Lawro who I always had firmly opsitioned in the R Savage camp......BUT....

...he is a very good central midfielder and IF he keeps his head down (on and off the pitch), doesn't f*ck about with the team spirit and doesn't get sent off every other game then we've made a good signing. Big 'IF' granted.

Prove me wrong Bowyer and show us your still the player you think you are. You'll be getting the benefit of the doubt from me for first dozen games anyway...

Pards has his work cut out cos he's on a hiding to nothing unless Bowyer has a very good season
SxHammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by SxHammer »

herofix wrote: :roll: Should I take the bait?

He has behaved like a spoilt brat on a few occasions. Let's just say that. Whether he had any other motivations other than being a spoilt brat, I can't say for certain. Unlike some, I have a hard time getting behind a player if I don't think they are a decent bloke. If he is a decent bloke, I'm sure that will become clear in due time.

Like Stu says, let's just hold our breath. I voted 'no' on the poll, but in Pards we trust.
Not really an answer is it? in what way has he behaved like a spoilt brat?
munchie400
Yellow card - abuse

Post by munchie400 »

Harewood-3.16 wrote:Perspective peoples, he cost nothing!!!!!!, we can throw him out on his ass tomorrow if we felt like it and it wudnt matter to us. He has taken massive paycut to be here (anyone care to give me 50% of there wage)

If someone can find any better player then Bowyer we can get on a free and on 20k wages give him Pards number
****ing right on.

Oh yeah lets not sign him as he's had 'past'. We signed Paulo cheap cos he was a potential troublemaker, he pushed over a ref ffs, and now he's a WH legend.

This kid has halfed the money he was on, and I'm guessing will be on best behaviour and fighting for his place, instead of fighting the team. If he cocks up everything then I was wrong but I think come January, these 'bowyer outs' will be cheering him on every week. :roll:
P.G TIPS A.Pe

Post by P.G TIPS A.Pe »

Supersoulfighter wrote: Since when did our Costa Rican cousin become violent? :lol:
Them gangly legs of his had a mind of their own
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Supersoulfighter wrote: Since when did our Costa Rican cousin become violent? :lol:
Or a legend for that matter?