Jermain Defoe - a poll

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Defoe - would you have him back at West Ham?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

Yes please
64%
Not flaming likely
25%
I dunno
10%

Total votes: 441

WHID to deserve this?

Re: Jermain Defoe - a poll

Post by WHID to deserve this? »

This is all rather academic as I can't see him ever wanting to come back here. A fit Ashton and Defoe would be good but away from home Bellamy and Defoe playing on the break with some pacy wingers would be pretty excellent too. Pity he has not pushed on from when he was with us, really thought he was nailed on as a replacement for Owen in the national team. Nevermind.
Wiztow

Post by Wiztow »

:think: NO WAY is an absolute knober :evil: . After the problems in the past with Bentley boys and how Curbs dealt with them why would he risk signing a tempremental, obnoxious striker like Defo. who if he did play regularly and was on form you know for sure would feck off at the first opportunity he could to someone else who will pay him more. :twisted:
irish_hammer_87

Post by irish_hammer_87 »

Arry will have him i'd put money on it. Not sure if id want him back or not. Yes he is a good player there is no denying that, but there is just too much history between the club and him.
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

This is a no brainer.

For Sale a proven, agile, fit Premier League goalscorer.

So he was a kn*b when we were relegated and he left under less than favourable circumstances. However, things move on.

Currently we need a proven, agile, fit Premier League goalscorer so lets at least make enquiries to see if he wants to come back. He will only join a team in the same "mini league" that we are in, so lets get him here to help us move upwards. If he turns us down fair enough, can't say I'd blame him with the reception he could get the first time he runs out.

But just imagine seeing him in claret and blue scoring the winner at T*tts later this season.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Officer Dibble wrote:This is a no brainer.

For Sale a proven, agile, fit Premier League goalscorer.

So he was a kn*b when we were relegated and he left under less than favourable circumstances. However, things move on.

Currently we need a proven, agile, fit Premier League goalscorer so lets at least make enquiries to see if he wants to come back. He will only join a team in the same "mini league" that we are in, so lets get him here to help us move upwards. If he turns us down fair enough, can't say I'd blame him with the reception he could get the first time he runs out.

But just imagine seeing him in claret and blue scoring the winner at T*tts later this season.
The same could be said for Harewood.
Burningaham

Post by Burningaham »

does anyone know hte history of Defoe when he was at Charlton, how he left, and was Curbs involved/there at the time?
MK HAMMER
Location: Believe in me, cos I dont believe in anything and I wanna be someone to believe, to believe in.
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MK HAMMER »

Burningaham wrote:does anyone know hte history of Defoe when he was at Charlton, how he left, and was Curbs involved/there at the time?

I believe we poached or tapped him up didnt we? didnt we have to end up paying some sort of compo back to them? I remember him beeing booed a good un by the charlton fans when he returned (was a 4-4 draw with a kitson hatrick???) :think:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

tremendous striker as that goal against villa proved.
but i let my heart rule my head on this one and voted NO...

seems he doesn't want to leave anyway, and i think if he DOES go any where it will be with a pouty little attitude that he couldn't make it at a struggling club somewhere in north london.

most times it's better to be a BIG fish in a SMALL pond, rather than the other way around....

he certainly was a big fish here.....
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

hammerbenj wrote:Man City Anyone?
What ? the whole team :lol:
leeo272

Post by leeo272 »

66% in favour of Defoe paired with 59% happy with Curbishley's football. How depressing.

Yet another indicator of the new shallow, short-sighted, win at all costs mentality that too many West Ham fans seem to have adopted.

At least we're tenth in the league though eh chaps.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

jurys out for me on weather i'd want Defoe back, not only his transfer but his overall attitude in his last few months of the club was awful and you just feel to much happened for him to be welcome back.
prince_huggy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

He's had his chance at a bigger club and left us for spurs, no thanks!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

How's that song go?

"Jermain Defoe is a C**t"

Wasn't Curbs at Charlton when he shat on them as a 16 yr old?
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

I dunno.

Take him on loan till the end of the season and see how it goes. He wants a Bosman out of totteringham so that would suit both.

They will not be able to unload him before the transfer window closes so at least they will get him off of their wage bill.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Yes please...
scanlen

Post by scanlen »

I can see why the Tottenham managers don't pick him for their team. He's greedy and doesn't see other players in better positions. He constantly tries to dribble into the penalty area and almost always loses possession. He's short and needs to feed off another bigger centre forward otherwise he gets bullied by opposition CBs. He isn't lightning quick like Bellamy is. In fact he's over-hyped, over-paid and an egotistical tosser with a scouse-brained girlfriend. Hardly things likely to endear him to Curbs! But he scores goals...

Yes I'd welcome him because sooner or later he is going to listen to his coaches and become a real gem. I think him and Cole (or Ashton if fit) would be great. However, with Ashton, Zamora, Bellamy and Camara on the books at least 2 strikers need to go before it's likely Defoe will come here. He only needs to hang around at Tottenham for a few more months to be close to a Bosman or more important, be able to buy his contract out at Tottenham! If he has only 18 months left and is on say £30k pw he can do that for just over £2 million! Then he'd want a huge signing-on fee and £50k pw. Somehow I can't see this one coming to anything...
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Hes a little **** with a right chip on his shoulder. He is a good player but he thinks he is alot better than he is. His attitude stinks and he has no concept of loyalty whatsoever. The little c**** limbs can fall off for all i care.
Eastbourne Hammer

Post by Eastbourne Hammer »

Compare the way he's behaved once he's left with how others have.

I'd take him back like a shot. Especially when you look at the effectiveness of our current front line......
chalky

Post by chalky »

OK, so he's got a bit of a reputation for being a bit of a twat? Hey, so what? You don't have to drink with him, or be his friend. He's a mercenary, as are all the rest. If we feel he'll do a job, and we can afford it, hire the little twat!

Don't forget we poached him in the first place! His request for a transfer immediately after our relegation was prolly not his decision, he was just a very young kid, and didn't we all make bad judgements when we were his age?

Forgive, (and I don't think there is anything to forgive) and forget. If he's good enough, go for it!
Maroonmachine

Post by Maroonmachine »

It's not about him or us, it's only about West Ham United. Could he do a job for us?, I think undoubtedly.Interesting to see that he has the highest strike rate of all the strikers in the PREM, scoring once every 102mins on the pitch.
Personally would love to see a Bellamy/Defoe pairing up front.