Jermain Defoe - a poll

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Defoe - would you have him back at West Ham?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

Yes please
64%
Not flaming likely
25%
I dunno
10%

Total votes: 441

speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Re: Jermain Defoe - a poll

Post by speculator »

One of the funniest things I've seen in football for a while was Crouchie and Defoe standing together waiting to kick off an England game at Old Trafford. Talk about little and large! :D
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

James P wrote: :lol:

Was he b*llocks. The sending off at Walsall was a shocking refereeing decision.

I'd have back in an instant. Excellent player who made a few mistakes as a kid but would benefit the West Ham team immensely.
No it wasnt. I was there and I thought he was off the second I saw it. He deliberatley tried to kick an opponent. the fact that he didnt connect is irrelevent.

Fact is, he'd lost it big time - wasnt in teh right frame of mind to play.

Would I have him back? yes. But id rather have Bent at a reasonable price. (£10m or less)
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: However, if Ashton and Bellamy are fit Defoe doesn't play. He's already proved he won't settle for the bench without becoming a disruptive arsewipe so why would we be interested? As good as his finishing is I really don't think he is what is required.
Says it all, imo

He won't want it, as he'll not be guaranteed a place in the side

And I don't think we'll want him. Not doubt, he's a great finisher. But he has little else to his game. If we are to bring in another striker, it has to be of the pacy variety (ie a similar player to Bellamy). I'm not sure we can afford the luxury of a player picked only for his finishing ability

I doubt he'd be hungry for a place on our bench, so I doubt he'll fit in with Curbs thinking. We'd be better off looking out for a player who is either a hot young prospect, or a foreign talent looking to move to England. Either way that sort of player is likely to remain hungry, despite being down the pecking order. A few months of bench warming will surely leave Defoe anything but hungry
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:This point is very confusing. Because the question is would you take him, and that relies on him agreeing to come being a given. So saying you wouldn't want him because he wouldn't come doesn't fit with the question, because we're assuming he's agreed to come and therefore the attitude you give as the reason for not wanting him would no longer exist. If you get what I'm saying?

It's like catch 22, but backwards or something.
no not really........most footballers want money......if he wasn't offered a new contract at spurs and he didn't get an offer from one of the 'top clubs'.........and we made him an offer that he couldn't refuse, then he could end up finding his way back here

but would he really want to play for us? I'm thinking not.......hence no thanks
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

upton o'good wrote: No it wasnt. I was there and I thought he was off the second I saw it. He deliberatley tried to kick an opponent. the fact that he didnt connect is irrelevent.
I thought that that was the WBA 3-4 defeat? :?
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

There's no way he would come back after the abuse he got this season.

Would definately have him though.
myladswill

Post by myladswill »

No from me, I couldn't bear to see the snivelling little runt in a West Ham shirt again. He's shown us before how little fighting spirit he's got, he's burned his bridges as far as i'm concerned by putting in a transfer request the second we were relegated - he didn't take any responsibility over the relegation at all. all he had to do was keep quiet and say the right things a la David James as it was obvious he was going anyway (got half a season in the championship for his troubles).

(n.b. 3 red cards in 21 championship games for us, no reds in 87 games for Spurs).

It's not going to happen anyway.
Last edited by myladswill on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

I would have him back but not at any price and I simply can't see it happening. He seems to have realised that he has peaked and that there isn't a better bench to warm at the top four clubs. His problem is that probably only Villa have the money and interest and they are not really a bigger club than Sp*ds nor is he assured many more starts.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

If he did come back I think he would be a bigger man than most of us think he is - ready to confront a challenge.

That said I think Newcastle, Villa, City etc are more likely to get him. It gives him a "not going backwards" cop out - besides which Villa and City can probably argue that they are bigger and better than us and Spuds so far this season.

Can't help wondering if Spurs are getting jittery about not even qualifying for UEFA next season - so much for Champions League! :D
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

I would definitely have him back, he is a good player and although everyone seems to hate him for slapping in a transfer request not even 24 hours after we had been relegated he did come out afterwards and apologise, something which not many players who have done such a thing to this club have.
alvin martin

Post by alvin martin »

No.

Anyone see The Sun today, talking about how much he loves the club and THE FANS. And how about having him and his sloshbucket brass in the papers every day. I hope he rots there.
Hammer Laffers

Post by Hammer Laffers »

alvin martin wrote:No.

Anyone see The Sun today, talking about how much he loves the club and THE FANS. And how about having him and his sloshbucket brass in the papers every day. I hope he rots there.
Well what do you expect him to say?? "Yeah, all spurs fans are ****ing c****, I hate them all and I wish they would just die"
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I say that every day.
Hammer Laffers

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Georgee Paris wrote:I say that every day.

So do I but I bet you wouldn't if they were the ones paying you the millions you are raking in :lol:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

Voted no. Nothing to do with the past, I just do not think he will ever be a top class striker as his heart isn't in it.

He is driven by greed and his ego, and it is nearly impossible to keep someone like that happy in the long term.

A huge talent that will end up wasted.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

would love to see him comeback to us quality player imho..
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

upton o'good wrote:No it wasnt. I was there and I thought he was off the second I saw it. He deliberatley tried to kick an opponent. the fact that he didnt connect is irrelevent.
I was also there. The opponent was on his right, he kicked out to his left. It was a kick of frustration, clear as day. However the no name Championship ref saw his chance to take the spotlight and sent him off.

The tackle against West Brom was a late tackle which fully deserved a second yellow card. For some reason though the ref decided to give a straight red which meant an increased ban.

For whatever reason, the Championship refs seemed to want to punish our players particular hard, perhaps they saw it as a chance to get their names in the papers as we were the highest profile team in the division. Maybe they just heard of our players reputations and changed their decisions accordingly. You only had to look at some of the trivial stuff Repka was getting booked for to see this played a part.
alvin martin

Post by alvin martin »

Whether he means it from the bottom of his greedy little heart or not, it is there in print and I never want to see him in our shirt again.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 672 likes
Total likes: 1308 likes

Post by davids cross »

I'm really undecided tbh. A natural goalscorer yes but does he suit the way Curbs plays :think:

When we play a top side or sometimes away he clearly likes the lone striker role and Defoe isn't suited to that. He also hates lazy buggers something that could be levelled at Defoe. If he plays it would have to be with another striker.
I am law

Post by I am law »

Purely from an 'on the pitch' perspective, the answer is 'yes'. Bellamy and Defoe are similar, but with Bellamy injury-prone, in fairness, Defoe would surely get his chance (and he's better than Camara!!)

But I cannot see him even half-wanting to return to UP.