Jermain Defoe - a poll

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Defoe - would you have him back at West Ham?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

Yes please
64%
Not flaming likely
25%
I dunno
10%

Total votes: 441

Bryant4114
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Jermain Defoe - a poll

Post by Bryant4114 »

I'm against it, i dont like him, the way he acted was a joke and while i agree the walsall sending off was a joke and a horrible refereeing decision but the fact he got another 2 red cards in all of 4 months or so was shocking. Plenty of better strikers id much rather see at this club rather than that traitorous little *****. He ran out on Charlton, ran out on us and would do it again
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Footballers careers are relatively short if compared to that of a life long supporter. Far too short to hold any grudges.
Defoe's best years are still ahead of him. Given this, I'd rather he spend his best years with us than with someone else. He'll only come back and score at our place year after year. So it's best he does it for us isn't it.

If he's available, get him back.
UptonParker

Post by UptonParker »

Jermaine Defoe, he's a ****, Jermaine Defoe he's a ****
Cake

Post by Cake »

Bring him back? Reading this topic, one could be forgiven for thinking that all we have to do is come calling and he'll be back like a shot. I don't think he'd come back to us, especially after the hideous amount of abuse he took from our supporters when warming up to come on in the Spurs game earlier this season. At the end of the day, he was a silly young kid, who took bad advice, and has been paying for it ever since.

He's an excellent forward and will always get you goals, but all that said, I can't see him ever contemplating a return to the Boleyn, took much history - would you blame him if you where in his postion?
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

Cake wrote:Bring him back? Reading this topic, one could be forgiven for thinking that all we have to do is come calling and he'll be back like a shot. I don't think he'd come back to us, especially after the hideous amount of abuse he took from our supporters when warming up to come on in the Sp*rs game earlier this season. At the end of the day, he was a silly young kid, who took bad advice, and has been paying for it ever since.

He's an excellent forward and will always get you goals, but all that said, I can't see him ever contemplating a return to the Boleyn, took much history - would you blame him if you where in his postion?
I couldn't agree more.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

The Old Mile End wrote:Footballers careers are relatively short if compared to that of a life long supporter. Far too short to hold any grudges.
Defoe's best years are still ahead of him. Given this, I'd rather he spend his best years with us than with someone else. He'll only come back and score at our place year after year. So it's best he does it for us isn't it.

If he's available, get him back.
:clap: The most reasoned post on here.

If he was to come back, knuckle down, work hard and score 15 goals between now and May then would anyone be so bothered that he wanted to leave when we went down?

At least he didn't do what Fatboy did and bad mouth the club at every opportunity.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Yes he was a disloyal ****, but what is loyal nowadays? He would score a bag full for us and thats all i'm intersted in.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

There is ABSOLUTELY no chance he will come back, even if spuds accepted a bid from us

Did you not hear the entire ground erupt into: "Jermaine Defoe, he's a ****, Jermaine Defoe, he's a ****" at the spuds game, followed by the 'goal-like' celebrations and abuse after his penalty miss???

Why put yourself through the humiliation of "ooh yes please, bring him back" every 6 months, when there is no chance of it happening, and BIG POINT: he isn't even that great! His career has stalled and his overall team contribution is barely compensated by his excellent finishing and nimbleness around the box

Please, JUST LET IT LIE AND MOVE ON!!!!

ARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

leeo272 wrote:I'd like to know how many of the pro-Defoe's were up at St Andrew's the day we went down.
Not sure what this has to do with whether we get him back, or does the fact you went to the game give you more an opinion than those that couldn't.

Yes he was an ars*hole for what he did the day after St Andrews, but it didn't mean he didn't put any effort into the game. I seem to remember Joe Cole had already stated that he wouldn't be with us even if we had stayed up, don't believe he gets the same grief Defoe does. Anyone tell me why this is.

I guess everyone on here who is slagging him off has never made a mistake, I know I have (some I'm really not proud of) but the people it has affected have forgiven me (well some have), and this affected them a lot more than a footballer putting a transfer request in. Get a grip of reality folks Headbanger
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

chalky wrote:
I know, I tried to resist, but the temptation of the prompt was just too hard to resist...

:oops:
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

I personally would have Defoe back all day long. Firstly, I think he would be great with Ashton and we really need another striker. Secondly, the partnership with Ashton would be a long-term goal. The short-term aim is signing Defoe and playing him with Carlton or Zamora/Bellamy (when fit) to give Deano a boot up the arse so he can show some movement and prove himself worthy of a place in the side.
poplargeezer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

I remember Gordon Strachan describing Darren Huckerby as 'scorer of great goals, but not a great goalscorer', and I think Defoe is of the same mould.
He scores great individual goals but doies not do it consistently.

He is at his best when he comes on for the last 20 minutes of a game to make a difference.

You look at the season we got relegated - if he had scored half the chances he should have done - we would have stayed up.

So, hope he doesn't come our way.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

poplargeezer wrote:I remember Gordon Strachan describing Darren Huckerby as 'scorer of great goals, but not a great goalscorer', and I think Defoe is of the same mould.
He scores great individual goals but doies not do it consistently.

He is at his best when he comes on for the last 20 minutes of a game to make a difference.

You look at the season we got relegated - if he had scored half the chances he should have done - we would have stayed up.

So, hope he doesn't come our way.
We went down a long time ago!! And I would have money with anyone that if Defoe started the full 38 league games each season he would score at least 15 league goals.
Claretandbluearmy

Post by Claretandbluearmy »

I voted yes, purely because I think him and Ashton as a strikeforce would be phenomenal.

To those saying would he return due to the stick he's got. Surely, even he realises, that he's just a panto villain. He's not a murderer, and I for one would feel comfortable chanting his name again if he's doing the business in a West Ham shirt.
chalky

Post by chalky »

chalky wrote:
I know, I tried to resist, but the temptation of the prompt was just too hard to resist...

:oops
Yeah, I know what you mean, especially if copious quantities of beer have been involved! Everything is funny then? :wink:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1985 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The Old Mile End wrote:Footballers careers are relatively short if compared to that of a life long supporter. Far too short to hold any grudges.

whole heartedly agree !!

(having said that i am managing peterborough on FM 08 and i've just off'ed shawn newton... :oops:)

:lol:
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

i thought he was english :oops:
Duff
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Duff »

Really surprised by the overwhelming majority that want him back, now I'm not a scout so don't have anyone in mind but there must be someone, somewhere in Europe that not only want's to play for us more than this jumped up Judas spud but will also offer more to the team than goal poaching. With the injuries we've got in that dept. and we can probably assume they'll carry on for the rest of the season, we need a TOP quality all round striker.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him, if he'd stayed with us in the championship and banged in the goals he'd probably be a lot higher up in the England ranking's than he is now but it was his decision to 'further his career' elsewhere so good luck.

Would be interested to find out if the people who want him back are the same who slag off our current players, is it just so they have someone to boo :eh: Headbanger
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

Duff wrote:Really surprised by the overwhelming majority that want him back, now I'm not a scout so don't have anyone in mind but there must be someone, somewhere in Europe that not only want's to play for us more than this jumped up Judas spud but will also offer more to the team than goal poaching. With the injuries we've got in that dept. and we can probably assume they'll carry on for the rest of the season, we need a TOP quality all round striker.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him, if he'd stayed with us in the championship and banged in the goals he'd probably be a lot higher up in the England ranking's than he is now but it was his decision to 'further his career' elsewhere so good luck.

Would be interested to find out if the people who want him back are the same who slag off our current players, is it just so they have someone to boo :eh: Headbanger
good post mate - been saying the same stuff

people seem to have an inflated opinion of how good he is. He's a goal poacher, and his overall team contribution is lacking. His career has never blossomed into what some people tipped it might. He might work okay off carlton cole, mind.
DrVenk
Has liked: 360 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

steveyrockstar wrote: people seem to have an inflated opinion of how good he is. He's a goal poacher, and his overall team contribution is lacking. His career has never blossomed into what some people tipped it might. He might work okay off carlton cole, mind.
Something we don't have. Personally, I don't want a team player, I want a selfish little runt who is going to bang goals away. And I doubt we will ever get a full (even full-ish) season out of Bellamy. Defoe currently fits the bill perfectly.