Jermain Defoe - a poll

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Defoe - would you have him back at West Ham?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

Yes please
64%
Not flaming likely
25%
I dunno
10%

Total votes: 441

simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Re: Jermain Defoe - a poll

Post by simon hammer »

I'd have him back like a shot. He can do the business up front while Ashton regains his fitness/mobility/motivation or whatever it is he's lacking at present in the ressies. Stick with 4-5-1 for the tricky away games with Cole up front and Defoe and Bellamy on the bench then play 4-4-2 against the lesser teams and at home with Bellamy and Defoe up front and Zamora and Cole on the bench. Added bonus is there'll still be a fully fit, mobile, motivated and rearing to go Dean Ashton to come back.

Admittedly there'll be a selection headache for Curbs as to which two out of four does he pick...but it's better than the migraine of only having two fit strikers to choose from and the limited formations that problem brings.
WHJim

Post by WHJim »

Bring him back! Play him in a 4-5-1 formation and watch him score goals. We need a loan ranger striker. :twisted:
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Absolutely. What he did was despicable but I honestly believe, as I did then, that he was just badly advised. He's only ever said good things about the club and I'd definitely take him back. Whether or not he would is a different matter altogether
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

No brainer.
Buskerman

Post by Buskerman »

To be honest, I'd think more of him if he did agree to come back.

You'd have to respect the fact that he was brave enough to do it - obviously straight away I'd want a 'Sun exclusive' featuring a photo of him looking doe-eyed, begging forgiveness and declaring that he's determined to win us all over by scoring the goals that will propel us into the Champions League....

then and only then...i'd let him sit on the bench.
Mad Professor
Has liked: 276 likes

Post by Mad Professor »

It would be even better if we could get him to agree to be photographed by The Sun in a West Ham shirt while still a Spurs player.
Buskerman

Post by Buskerman »

Mad Professor wrote:It would be even better if we could get him to agree to be photographed by The Sun in a West Ham shirt while still a Sp*rs player.
See - now you're talking. :thup:
thamesmeadhammer
Location: Walking in God's Grace, Sunny North Thamesmead, BML Row G 151

Post by thamesmeadhammer »

Get him back.....£8m well spent imo
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Abso-bleeding-lutely.

My concerns would be though;
1. The fee. He is out of contact in the Summer, so how much would someone be expected to pay to buy a 6 month contract, and
2. I don't think he has improved whatsover in the past few years. Still the nuts of a striker, obviously, but he needs to get his game back on track.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Mullet wrote:Even when he was at Charlton he had this "I should be playing somewhere better attitude".

Some may describe his ability as god given but it doesn't give him the right to think he's god himself.
Hmmm, a touch of the Anelka's then?

Herts Iron wrote:1. The fee. He is out of contact in the Summer, so how much would someone be expected to pay to buy a 6 month contract.
I see such things as irrelevant.

Whether he is out of contract in 6 months or 6 years, getting Defoe for a cut price of say, £7-8m or so would be a cracking buy.
It's just the thought that we could get him for nothing in the summer which causes the skepticism, but in reality it shouldn't matter a jot.

If anything, it could also save a fair whack of money as many free transfer players demand a lot more of a wage.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: It's just the thought that we could get him for nothing in the summer which causes the skepticism, but in reality it shouldn't matter a jot.

If anything, it could also save a fair whack of money as many free transfer players demand a lot more of a wage.
There'd also be a lot more competition in the summer.

Indeed.

Many may scoff at the thought of spending £7m when they could obtain the goods for nothing in 6 months, but as I say it doesn't really matter.
Strike while the iron is hot, seize the day, sign the midget... be the ball.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Absolutely. What he did was despicable but I honestly believe, as I did then, that he was just badly advised. He's only ever said good things about the club and I'd definitely take him back. Whether or not he would is a different matter altogether
He handed a transfer request in, he didn't kill Lady Di!*

*we all know that Countryboy did that
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Indeed.

Many may scoff at the thought of spending £7m when they could obtain the goods for nothing in 6 months, but as I say it doesn't really matter.
Strike while the iron is hot, seize the day, sign the midget... be the ball.
Carpe Diem...
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

he's not a Poll, he's English.
chalky

Post by chalky »

I ain't about to try to play the arbiter or otherwise of what is, and what is not, good football.

There are a few players, containing JC, SWP, and Stevie Gerrard that scare the **** out of me whenever they get the ball, they're that talented.They can turn a game. Defoe is just about in that elite group, well, he's knocking on the door? He ain't no slouch for sure.

He's a weasel, a ferret, a sneak, but, if he catches you flat footed or 'ball watching', he'll have you away. A poacher?

A good player.
whufc martin

Post by whufc martin »

Saw Defoe a few weeks ago and said to him "oh why dont you join west ham again" he turns with a disgusted look and says everyone is saying that to me! mind you i was a bit drunk at the time
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Can we dig up an old thread to see what peoples reactions were then as it seems to me everythings changed all of a sudden. He was supposedly badly advised yet i bet ALL of you didnt think that back then. Why forgive the little ****?
leeo272

Post by leeo272 »

I'd like to know how many of the pro-Defoe's were up at St Andrew's the day we went down.