I dream of becoming West Ham boss, says Di Canio - POLL

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Paolo Di Canio - a future West Ham manager in the making?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Yes
46%
No
39%
Unsure
15%

Total votes: 265

Cockney Rebel
Location: Isle of Dogs... with Manhattan in the background...

I dream of becoming West Ham boss, says Di Canio - POLL

Post by Cockney Rebel »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... to=newsnow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fiery former Premier League star Paolo Di Canio has revealed that his dream job is to be manager at his old club West Ham one day.

The news will delight Hammers fans where Di Canio played for four years and where he became an idol for fans with his spectacular goals.

He said: "I am going to retire at the end of the season, I'm a little too old to carry on playing so I will take up managing next year. I hope to have the same success as a coach that I did as a player.

"My dream would be to manage in the Premier League because English football is the best in the world and my dream in particular would be to manage at West Ham - that would be perfect.

"I spent four seasons there and I would love to go back and win something with them. The fans are fantastic there and the atmosphere at Upton Park was always so special.

"Every weekend I watch all the English games on TV but I always look out for the West Ham score, I have a special place for them in my heart.

"When I watch the Premier League I am always proud to see players that were young boys when I was at West Ham - I'm talking about Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand and Trevor Sinclair.

"When I was there they were really young so I saw them grow up into men and players and I am proud to watch them playing at the top level in the Champions League.

"The standard in the Premier League was always good but these players and Jermain Defoe also stand out for me as the best English players."

Di Canio had a remarkable eight years in Britain first with Celtic in 1996 moving to Sheffield Wednesday the following year before joining West Ham in 1999 and staying until 2003.

He left the club after a row with then manager Glenn Roeder and spent a year at Charlton before returning to his boyhood team Lazio where he had also played.

In 2001, Di Canio won the FIFA Fair Play Award after shunning a goalscoring opportunity the previous December when Everton goalkeeper Paul Gerrard was lying injured on the ground. FIFA described the act as "a special act of good sportsmanship."

But the Italian was also remembered for his fiery temper and the infamous incident where he pushed referee Paul Alcock to the ground after he was sent off during a Sheffield Wednesday match against Arsenal.

He said: "I'm a bit different now, I try to keep control of my temper but I sometimes still get a rush of blood." (Di Canio was given a four-match ban last week after insulting a referee last Sunday at his current club Cisco Roma.)

The Italian, who will be 40 later this year, also praised FA chiefs for picking Fabio Capello as the national team squad - despite their previous stormy past.

While on a far East tour in 1996 with AC Milan Di Canio and Capello had a blazing stand up row peppered with f-words in the changing room after the bespectacled coach substituted him at half time.

Di Canio said: "We have had our problems in the past. Capello has a strong character and he is very determined. Things like that happen between players and managers all the time.

"I met him after that and we shook hands and it was all put behind us. These things can happen in football.

"But the FA have made a good choice with Capello. He won in Italy and Spain, everywhere he has been he has won something.

"I think he will do a great job. He is an intelligent man and when he wants something he will work 24 hours a day to get it."

Di Canio starts his year-long manager's course at Coverciano - the Italian equivalent of Bisham Abbey in the summer.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Re: I dream of becoming West Ham boss, says Di Canio

Post by V-M »

The news will delight Hammers fans

Im not so sure. Yes he was a genius on the ball but Im not sure about his temperament as a manager.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

celebrety boxing match between him and billic when we need a new manager?
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

God save us. He's barmy, narcisistic, wouldn't understnd why everone doesn't have the skills of a Maradonna, and would never attend a match north of Watford.

Oh and he's a self proclaimed fascist sympathiser in a multi racial area

Apart from that he'd be perfect I'm sure
Mick4774

Post by Mick4774 »

One of my all time favs but cant help but think he would call the team off the pitch if the ref didnt give us a penalty
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Cockney Rebel wrote:
He said: "I'm a bit different now, I try to keep control of my temper but I sometimes still get a rush of blood." (Di Canio was given a four-match ban last week after insulting a referee last Sunday at his current club Cisco Roma.)

:lol: :lol:

I wouldn't want him here as us being his first club to manage, let him manage someone else and see how he goes.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

I'd sack Curbishley now to get him back.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

I wouldn't want him as manager, particularly, but a lot of the concerns here were shared about Keane when he took over Sunderland and he's probably the most docile manager in the league now.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I think i would prefer Bilic.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Bring him in to coach the strikers definitely but Manager? Umm, think the guy is a legend but not sure he has the temperament for that one. Mind you if he goes off and earns his badges and gets experience, he may turn out to be a fantastic Manager in a few years :think:
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Have to say, i'd love to see him play one more time before he hangs up his boots. I thought he had already retired - he's 40 and has still scored 7 goals this season for AS Cisco Roma http://www.ciscocalcioroma.it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

kitthehammer wrote:Have to say, i'd love to see him play one more time before he hangs up his boots. I thought he had already retired - he's 40 and has still scored 7 goals this season for AS Cisco Roma http://www.ciscocalcioroma.it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It would seem that Cisco Roma beat Tottenham the other day too
TOTTENHAM - CISCO 0 - 1
Tottenham: Button, Hutchins, Berchiche, Martin, Butcher, Cox (dal 20' st Mason), Livermore, Dawkins (dal 20' st Kasim), Pekhart, Fraser, Obika (dal 30' st Hutton)
Cisco Roma: Previti, Formiconi, Conte, Bianchi, Gasperini, Padella, Piro (dal 14' st De Santis), Iovino, Cassandra (dal 22' st Morbidelli), Zanga (dal 46' st Di Pastena), Sola. A disp: Giudice, Chialastri, Barbetti, Cinelli. All. Giovanni Lopez
Direttore di gara: Sig. Assisi di Vibo Valentia
Assistenti: Sig. Pedani di Empoli; Sig. Galeotti di Prato
Recupero: 1 min pt; 2+2 min st

Note: Nel secondo tempo l'arbitro Assisi ha diretto buona parte della gara da solo, causa infortunio di uno dei guardalinee.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Did he ever have a testimonial at Lazio or anywhere does anyone know?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I don't know why everyone goes on about the manager so much, its obviously the easiest job in the world.
west ham dancing shoes

Post by west ham dancing shoes »

id love to have di canio back at the club but just not as manager.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

not after his Nazi salutes.

we don't need that here.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

I loved his legs, loved his goals, but hate his mind... so no thanks!
Having a fascist as a team manager goes beyond most nightmares. Besides his temperament wouldn't do it either.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

west ham dancing shoes wrote:id love to have di canio back at the club but just not as manager.
We could have him as a little IL Duce mascot for a little half time entertainment.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I could say something about blitzing the opposition but waving a little white flag when under the cosh..but I won't.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Our March to Wembley could be interesting.