Impressions so far??

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

artlin

Re: Impressions so far??

Post by artlin »

The one thing I don't like is:

A) The constant slo mo bits during the pauses. (Just let us watch the game, please)

and

2)The irritating focusing on pretty young girls in the crowd. (Not really football supporters are they?)

Mind you, slo mo on pretty young girls is acceptable!!!!!!!!
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

If the worst thing as this world cup is close ups of pretty Dorris' then we're laughing

I think it's on course for being the most entertaining WC ever. Do not want it to end
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

artlin wrote:The one thing I don't like is:

A) The constant slo mo bits during the pauses. (Just let us watch the game, please)

and

2)The irritating focusing on pretty young girls in the crowd. (Not really football supporters are they?)

Mind you, slo mo on pretty young girls is acceptable!!!!!!!!
Is that you Rolf?
OFT
Has liked: 3192 likes
Total likes: 1831 likes

Post by OFT »

The biggest effect the whole thing has had on me is to confirm the feelings which have been lurking in my mind for some time that in the main I no longer like footballers and football in general. Outside of West Ham United it's just of no interest to me whatsoever.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Old Fat Tits wrote:The biggest effect the whole thing has had on me is to confirm the feelings which have been lurking in my mind for some time that in the main I no longer like footballers and football in general. Outside of West Ham United it's just of no interest to me whatsoever.
Really, it has had the opposite affect on me, made me love football more, tonight's game aside, but that was due to a weak ref
OFT
Has liked: 3192 likes
Total likes: 1831 likes

Post by OFT »

Been brewing up for a good few years and I've supressed it but I just can't bear the individuals and their antics anymore.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I have heard that apart from the handful of teams who are still left in this competition, those who have that long left the shores of Brazil and who have returned home, have either ditched their manager's, or they had the balls to chuck it in, except in the case of poor ol' Postman Pat, who is still clinging onto his job as manager of Russia, but who now has to face an inquisition before the Russian parliament to explain away Russia's timid showing. Personally, I think the same should be happening here, with Woy. Perhaps not before parliament, but I think the public deserve a little more than his just bemoaning his luck.
e17

Post by e17 »

Puff, I like the idea of "The Hodgson enquiry"

Imagine the outcry from the pews when he sits Rooney to the left or Gerrard spills water everywhere at a key moment
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Puff Daddy wrote:I have heard that apart from the handful of teams who are still left in this competition, those who have that long left the shores of Brazil and who have returned home, have either ditched their manager's, or they had the balls to chuck it in, except in the case of poor ol' Postman Pat, who is still clinging onto his job as manager of Russia, but who now has to face an inquisition before the Russian parliament to explain away Russia's timid showing. Personally, I think the same should be happening here, with Woy. Perhaps not before parliament, but I think the public deserve a little more than his just bemoaning his luck.
Well you do have to come up with a replacement* and that is difficult - quite different when discussing whether BS should go as then there is a much wider choice most of whom we won't have heard of. Although I think he made mistakes On balance I do think Hodgson should remain rather than change everything again though I'm very disappointed at the way he seems to listen to what is popular rather than what he necessarily wants to do.

*My choice would be Hoddle though I would never have let Tony Blair sack him in the first place and to be honest I can't ever see him getting the job again.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

bobcar wrote:

Well you do have to come up with a replacement* and that is difficult - quite different when discussing whether BS should go as then there is a much wider choice most of whom we won't have heard of. Although I think he made mistakes On balance I do think Hodgson should remain rather than change everything again though I'm very disappointed at the way he seems to listen to what is popular rather than what he necessarily wants to do.

*My choice would be Hoddle though I would never have let Tony Blair sack him in the first place and to be honest I can't ever see him getting the job again.
I'm not saying Woy should necessarily be sacked, but I do think we all need to hear him say something new about how he intends too move us on
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

He's going to encourage all the big clubs to buy English players, then he'll be able to pick them.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

fjthegrey wrote:He's going to encourage all the big clubs to buy English players, then he'll be able to pick them.
I realise you're joking but the big clubs buying English players and then not playing them is one of our biggest problems.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

Impressions so far: I'll be honest, after the scintillating group stage and the mostly-decent second stage, it's fallen a bit flat for me up at what's supposed to be the sharp end of the tournament. A largely dull bunch of quarters, and despite the semis being filled with sides for whom I've traditionally got a lot of time, I've found Germany and Argentina lacking... I dunno, something this time around, I've found Brazil to be pretty-much everything I dislike about football; they've been the anti-Brazil in a lot of ways, and I was excited by the Dutch initially but they've become more cynical as the competition's gone on. So some cruddy matches have spawned some uninspiring victors and set up some unexciting-looking semis. I think that of the four left, I suppose I'd rather the Germans won. Not that bothered though anymore.

Ah well. These four sides are at least capable of putting on a match so who knows? Maybe the Argies and Bosche will get exciting, the Brazilians and Oranje will remember why they're (usually) thought of so highly, the semis will be fantastic and we'll be back on track with what was, just past the group games, the best WC in years.

Wouldn't it have been something else if Chile had stayed in?
AndyCarrollsBarber

Post by AndyCarrollsBarber »

Decent group stages, boring knockout matches other than sporadic periods where the players seem to momentarily wake up.

You just know that as soon as Brazil go out in the semi that their fans will remember they're supposed to be protesting, not enjoying, and go back to rioting.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

best group stages i can remember, then you have that feeling of things going as they're "supposed" to.

nickkarkie wrote:Really, it has had the opposite affect on me, made me love football more, tonight's game aside, but that was due to a weak ref
yeah because in the other games they've been strong... :thdn:
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

This tournament for me has just driven home, yet again, what we already knew. And that is, that footballers these days are nothing but girls blouses. Pansies the whole f*cking lot of them with their falling over at the drop of a hat. GET UP OFF THE GROUND YOU F*CKING RETARD YOU ARE MAKING THE GAME AN ABSOLUTE JOKE! :thdn:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Think this could now well be an all European final. Can't see Brazil beating ze Germans and unless they have a Messi moment, l think the Dutch will take Argentina
AndyCarrollsBarber

Post by AndyCarrollsBarber »

The Brazil v Fritz match really needs Howard Webb in charge. He's the only ref with enough arrogance to not be affected by the occasion, the crowd, or the cheating Brazilian players.
e17

Post by e17 »

Completely the other way for me Puff - I see home advantage pushing Brazil through & the efforts of the Costa Rica win giving the Argies a significant advantage

1970s Leeds (Brazil) v Messi final for me
kielhammer

Post by kielhammer »

I would agree with you if it weren't for the final last time,which he seemed affected by the occasion and let it get completely out of hand.

I am really curious though to Arsène Wengers comments on the French team,since he is allways on about sportsmanship and protecting football : I wonder if he has publicly condemned Matuidi and Sakho.