So who will you follow now?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Charles Berstad

Re: So who will you follow now?

Post by Charles Berstad »

Lee_WHU wrote: But it is silly though isn't it? It's been a fantastic WC so far.
Indeed it has.

Germany for me.
WalthammerUSA

Post by WalthammerUSA »

Hoping for Dutch v Krauts and a Dutch win
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Nobody. Four teams full of c**** left.... :thdn:
beckton

Post by beckton »

Argentina to win it now, the lesser of 4 evils left in this tournament. They'll probably unfurl a Malvinas banner in the final though just to piss me off.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Morocco Mole wrote:All the European sides leave me cold......
Interesting comment .

Most of them are clinical , playing to a formula, kind of like a Status Quo song .You know what you are going to get etc etc , just not that exciting .

Maybe it's because we are very familiar with them as sides or at least their players .

However, someone really needs to ask if Germany, Holland, France and Spain really are that much better than say England, Italy, Sweden ?

Yet certainly Germany and possibly Holland always seem to out perform us in tournament football .

Do they have more depth , more structure or a stronger national bond ?

Honestly if the Jerrys win this it will be the end for me , I don't think I could take it .Functional yes, thrilling, no.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

That is exactly what the Germs are after - this time they want to win it and not come second or third as in recent competitions. Löw said so himself. He doesn't give two monkeys whether they place nice or not, they want to lift the cup. Suppose they're sick of sucking up to the rest of the world by playing nicey-nice only to lose the crucial game.

I reckon Oranje vs Germs.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

beckton wrote:Argentina to win it now, the lesser of 4 evils left in this tournament. They'll probably unfurl a Malvinas banner in the final though just to piss me off.
Yup, if you had to push me I guess I'd rather Argentina win it now (now there's a sentence I never thought I'd write). Of the four they seem the least snidey/cheatey/niggly (weirdly enough) and I suppose Messi sort of deserves it, the growth hormone-addled freak.

I'm with you Pinky on Jerry. Anyone but. They've rumped us too many times and just have the permanent look of cheats even when they're not cheating....
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

No Neymar AND Thiago Silva? There's no way I see this now below-average Brazil team can beat the Germans.
The Argies and Dutch will go to pens.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

beckton wrote:Argentina to win it now, the lesser of 4 evils left in this tournament. They'll probably unfurl a Malvinas banner in the final though just to piss me off.
Against the grain I'd rather the Germans win than the Argies (though they would be second choice). The 'joy' of Brazil winning will be unbearable and the Dutch have become such cheats Robben and his diving and Martins-Indi the dirtiest player in the whole competition

The German's for me are the nearest to us, yes Muller has a face you'd never tire of punching but they have not dived everywhere, play proper football and (though not perfect) have more positives thank the other three.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Deutschland ...... although, I suspect they'll contrive to f*** it up in the final.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:
No Neymar AND Thiago Silva? There's no way I see this now below-average Brazil team can beat the Germans.
The Argies and Dutch will go to pens.
That's the way I see it too. Brazil were taken all the way by Chile and were heavily assisted by a poor referee in the quarter final win against Colombia and now without their two most key, influential players, this very experienced German team will call time on this tournament for them
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

the pink palermo wrote:

Honestly if the Jerrys win this it will be the end for me , I don't think I could take it .Functional yes, thrilling, no.
The end?........end of what Pinks??

The end of the tournament. :?
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Morocco Mole wrote:Nobody. Four teams full of ***** left.... :thdn:
Indeed.
Not one team I feel an iota of support for.

I guess I might get behind Brazil if I happen to be watching, they're obviously under-strength and the Germans are battering them.... but only really because I can't stand the Germans....
And I haven't seen a lot of the Argy's in this tournament, so haven't built up such an intense dislike as I have for the others..... but they are still Argentina....

Shame that the best world cup of my lifetime has ended up being between 4 teams with so little in the way of redeeming features
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

the pink palermo wrote:However, someone really needs to ask if Germany, Holland, France and Spain really are that much better than say England, Italy, Sweden ?

Yet certainly Germany and possibly Holland always seem to out perform us in tournament football .

Do they have more depth , more structure or a stronger national bond ?
Bundesliga clubs invest twice as much in youth football, spend 51% if income on player wages (vs 71% in EPL), have twice as many homegrown players and keep their managers for twice as long.

They've also created a system where majority fan ownership is mandatory, so the committed, long-term ownership this engenders means the priorities of football governance change.

Our clubs are a hotchpotch collection of investment assets, highly indebted basket cases and oligarchs’ playthings. We could learn an awful lot from our Teutonic cousins.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

My ideal scenario is Holland beat the Argies tomorrow, thereby gaining revenge for 1978 final defeat and then follow this up with victory in the final against ze germans, thereby gaining revenge for 1974 final defeat. Sweet as.
m-h

Post by m-h »

The Nederlands, simply because they would be first time winners of the tournament.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

m-h wrote:The Nederlands, simply because they would be first time winners of the tournament.

My dislike for Robben and Martins-Indi stop me going for them. Both are cheats but in different ways.
m-h

Post by m-h »

wolf359 wrote:

My dislike for Robben and Martins-Indi stop me going for them. Both are cheats but in different ways.
Thing is i don't put the Eredivisie in in the same league as the cheaters week in week out in the La Liga or Serie A with their soft refereeing. That said i don't like Robben and never have (Chelski) and don't condone his antics or Kruls. That said, they have been there or there abouts for many World Cups and would like to see them finally get to win one as opposed to the Germans or Argentinians.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

ABG
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:ABG
THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS.