Quarter Finals Costa Rica v Netherlands

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hambrosia Stu

Re: Quarter Finals Costa Rica v Netherlands

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

_fortunes_ wrote:I missed this game..so what the hell did Krul do? What was he doing that was unsportsmanlike?
Every Costa Rican penalty taker, he was waiting at the penalty spot, totally in their faces, practically shouting in their faces, gesturing, doing everything he could to put them off, but in a nasty cynical totally OTT way

Sure, we all expect a bit of mind games in a penalty shoot out, but that went a country mile further than anything I've ever seen. Completely against the spirit of the game, imo

Seemed totally disrespectful of the opposition. And completely unnecessary

This sort of shyte:-

I'm still surprised no one from Costa Rica made more of it. I guess they were trying to keep their focus on the spot kick they were about to take, but even so, I'm still surprised no one reacted, not even their 'keeper. If that was me, I'd have made a point of grabbing him by the collar and forcibly marching him backwards to his goal line

Sums up a lot of what is wrong with the game, imo. The Dutch were favourites, both in the match, and in the shoot out, but still had to stoop to "gamesmanship" to give themselves the edge
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1850 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Krul was saying "I know, I know where you'll put it" to the takers.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Krul was saying "I know, I know where you'll put it" to the takers.
Which is fair enough
You often see a 'keeper gesture to where the penalty taker's favoured spot is.
It's one thing bobbing about on your line, alluding to where the kicker is going to place his kick.
Another altogether to be stood on the penalty spot waving hands in players faces., as they are trying to place the ball on the spot........

Kick #1

Kick #2

The one in my previous post is kick #3.....
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

so just to recap, so far we've got: bruno martins indi being the dirtiest player of this tournament, krul being unsportsmanship like and cheating during the penalties, robben being number one diver and cheater overall and the dutch national team being the worst of the worst of the worst..oh and let's not forget that wonderful piece by romford in which he portrayed the entire nation as nazi adoring scum

frankly, I'm past caring about it now cause people will always perceive and see what they want to perceive and see but some of you lot absolutely disgust me.
no matter what happens tomorrow night or indeed if we were to 'cheat' our way into the final (and god forbid if we win it) or we won't win..apart from the robben penalty i'm proud of the endeavors of my national team, nobody expected us to even go through the group stages let alone get this far..louis van gaal has performed miracles with this squad which (like england's) is filled with a lot of inexperienced young heads. we've shown team spirit, never-say-die attitude and scored plenty of goals.
so you can all just do one, plenty of discussion about things that you perceive to be cheating by us but you turn a blind eye every time it happens to us (*cough two undeserved penalties*) if this was west ham or even england you lot wouldn't and couldn't care less.

i'm out, houdoe kut!
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

claretcloggy wrote: people will always perceive and see what they want to perceive and see but some of you lot absolutely disgust me.
claretcloggy, rustig, godverdomme! :wink:

I couldn't disagree more. As I've probably mentioned, I have a lot of love for most things Dutch. Lived in Holland for more than a couple of years, had a wonderful time there, met and worked with some great people, met Ms Hambrosia in a bar in Limburg.... so I'm not looking for reasons to dislike the Dutch football team.

The complete opposite actually. I started off really wanting the Netherlands to go all the way. And once England were inevitably out of the competition, the Dutch were my favoured team out of those who had a realistic chance of winning it (I mean, following Costa Rica, or Colombia, whilst nice, never felt like I was wanting them to win the whole thing)

And whilst I was rooting for Costa Rica in that game, I also had at the back of my mind that the Dutch were far more likely to actually win the thing, so I was kind of expecting them to win the match, and my allegiance. I was expecting to be fully behind the Dutch had they come out victorious, fairly, due to their superior talent. But it just doesn't feel like that

I guess I have a real bug-bear with cheats. My earliest football memory is of the 1980 FA Cup Final, but it's not Sir Trev's glancing header that sticks in my mind, but the injustice of that tackle by Willie Young on the 17 year old Paul Allen that I remember so clearly.

So, I'm not looking for reasons to diss the Dutch. The opposite really. I was hoping to have been fully behind the men in oranje by now.
I'm just so very disappointed that the team I thought I'd be right behind feel the need to stoop to such low tactics. It's even more disappointing considering the talent in their squad, the potential they have to win a game of football both fairly, and with true class (as was the case in the game vs Spain).

I'll shut up now about it, but I do feel saddened that the game has gone the way it has.
If it's any consolation, I'll always favour the Dutch ahead of the Germans....
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

claretcloggy wrote:but some of you lot absolutely disgust me.
'kinnel cloggy, relax!
is it such a big deal a few posters don't like your national football team, whatever the reason?
just take the piss out of their national team of spoilt (but oh so honest!) brats who managed the grand total of one point scoring two whole goals in 270 minutes of football and have a laugh!
you're in the semifinals ffs! (undeservedly, of course, and i hope you crash and burn :D )
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

I'm still gutted when of the one Costa Rica players scored their pen they didn't run at him and get in his face.