Semi Finals: Brazil v Germany

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Re: Semi Finals: Brazil v Germany

Post by sendô »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Watching that 10 minutes was surreal. Brazil imploded. Against any other team, they may have been able to regroup, but the Hun were like a pack of lions surrounding a wounded gazelle.

Do I want the Boche to win the cup? Well it depends on the winners of tonight's game:

The Dutch: No
The Argies: Yes

I am no German fan, just dislike the Malvinas Chasing buggers more
Pretty much sums it up for me.

I'd just like to add that I am delighted that Brazil got stuffed. Sick to the back teeth with the Brazil love in on BBC and ITV despite how incredibly average they'd been.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Also, the incredible German walkathon after the match by Shearer and Ferdinand showed, for me, just how stupid some of these pundits are. Basically stating that Germany must now be clear favourites, and that Brazil were blown away by them, without really noting that every single one of Germany's goal could be attributed to poor or suspect defending, and that none of the goals came from moments of brilliance or that no defence could have stopped them.

Will the Dutch or even the dirty Argies afford the Gurman front line that much time and space? I doubt it somehow.

(Note I thought the Germans played very well and took all the opportunities presented to them calmly and fully deserve their place in the final, but they've not suddenly gone from a well organised team with no stand out players to far and away favourites on the strength of one match against a Sunday league level defence)
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

As someone who lives in Brazil I can honestly say... that was ****ing brilliant.

Non-stop for months I have been hearing how it was their god-given right to win the cup. How it was already theirs. Even the TV shows and adverts have been calling them "6 time world cup winners" for ages now. You could not get a coherent conversation about football from a Brazilian as it was all "this time in a month we will be celebrating winning the world cup and everyone will forget their problems".

Not to mention throughout the tournament the noise whenever Brazil scored or won a game. The roar would go up around the city, and people would let off fireworks (huge illegal ones) scaring the dog to **** each time. When they won, this noise would continue, with loud 'funk' music and car horns blaring, until 5 or 6am. Last night was the best night of sleep I have had in a month. The city was deadly quiet.

It was so good to see them taken down a peg or 50. f*** 'em.

Also there is a strange Brazilian love-in with David Luiz. They STILL love the guy, even though by my reckoning, last night he was at fault for at least 5 of Germanys goals, and a total failure of a captain. I laughed hard seeing him being interviewed, crying so hard that he couldn't speak.

I am trying to behave myself but I just can't resist rubbing it in their stupid, smarmy faces. Twats. :scarfer:
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

sendô wrote:, without really noting that every single one of Germany's goal could be attributed to poor or suspect defending, and that none of the goals came from moments of brilliance or that no defence could have stopped them.
Whilst totally agreeing with your post, I have to argue that Schurrle's shot off the bar from a fantastic reverse pass, WAS a brilliant goal
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

It wasn't a brilliant goal because as shown on BBC, Luiz chased the balled out to the sideline and left he whole centre back area free, then from the long throw he couldn't be bothered to sprint back until he saw schurrle was clean through, great finish though
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Didn't know the Brazil squad were Masochists.
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

bobby0303 wrote: I am trying to behave myself but I just can't resist rubbing it in their stupid, smarmy faces. Twats.
If you really want to rub it in remind them about MK taking the top scorer mantle from Ronaldo and then run like f*ck :lol:
AndyCarrollsBarber

Post by AndyCarrollsBarber »

I walked home carrying a Germany flag last night. We walked past one gang of irate Brazilians, and the exchange wasn't particularly polite. If I hadn't been with Mrs ACB I think I may have ended up beaten senseless.

Scousers, Geordies, Brazilians... all take football far too seriously. It's a game, not a religion.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Torquemada wrote:
If you really want to rub it in remind them about MK taking the top scorer mantle from Ronaldo and then run like f*ck :lol:
That has been on my List of Facts to Annoy a Brazilian With. Right after Humiliation, 7-1, Biggest Semi Final Loss EVER, Brazil now having conceded the most goals in the entire world cup of any team, and having to play for 3rd place... at home.

Strangely though the conversation seems to come to an end before I can reach the subject of Ronaldos record...

Ronaldo was co-commentator on last nights game here, his face at the end was a real picture, let me tell you.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

AndyCarrollsBarber wrote:I walked home carrying a Germany flag last night. We walked past one gang of irate Brazilians, and the exchange wasn't particularly polite. If I hadn't been with Mrs ACB I think I may have ended up beaten senseless.

Scousers, Geordies, Brazilians... all take football far too seriously. It's a game, not a religion.
so, how many bratwurst did you manage to eat?
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

bobby0303 wrote:As someone who lives in Brazil I can honestly say... that was ****ing brilliant.

Non-stop for months I have been hearing how it was their god-given right to win the cup. How it was already theirs. Even the TV shows and adverts have been calling them "6 time world cup winners" for ages now. You could not get a coherent conversation about football from a Brazilian as it was all "this time in a month we will be celebrating winning the world cup and everyone will forget their problems".

Not to mention throughout the tournament the noise whenever Brazil scored or won a game. The roar would go up around the city, and people would let off fireworks (huge illegal ones) scaring the dog to **** each time. When they won, this noise would continue, with loud 'funk' music and car horns blaring, until 5 or 6am. Last night was the best night of sleep I have had in a month. The city was deadly quiet.

It was so good to see them taken down a peg or 50. **** 'em.

I am trying to behave myself but I just can't resist rubbing it in their stupid, smarmy faces. Twats. :scarfer:
I understand just how you feel! You sound just like me, mate. I was in France when they won in 98 and you coudn't get any sense out of them for 4 years until they imploded in 2002 and went home not having scored a single goal. How I laughed. Schadenfreude is an exquiste pleasure.....
AndyCarrollsBarber

warp wrote:
so, how many bratwurst did you manage to eat?
Just the 3. I started to queue for a 4th but Mrs ACB looked on disapprovingly, so decided not to risk incurring her wrath. :lol:
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

I am not ashamed to admit I enjoyed watching David Luiz cry. Karma.
AndyCarrollsBarber

God obviously wasn't listening.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Dyl

Post by Dyl »

AndyCarrollsBarber wrote:God obviously wasn't listening.
Lol I'm sure they'll decide it was all 'part of his plan' :lol:
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Just saw this tweet someone posted about this match. Sort of funny.

Most Embarassing Semi since I watched Brokeback Mountain with my Dad.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

In my World Cup lifetime (1990 onwards), Brazil have always had a good squad, with some hard-workers helped out by one or two genuine world class attacking players to catch the eye and create some genuine magic.

You'd have the class and flair of Careca, Romario, Bebeto, Rivaldo, Denilson, Ronaldo, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Kaka, Ronaldinho and Robinho balanced by pragmatic workers like Dunga, Gilberto Silva, Cesar Sampaio, Aldair, Ricardo Gomes, Emerson and Juninho (not the two the played for Boro', the other two).

They always had plenty of quality players in reserve, especially up front. The difference with this squad is they have one true talent (neymar), one player who is organised (Thiago Silva) and the rest are bang-average and their striker are ****. Fred and Jo wouldn't get in most Premiership sides, they shouldn't be anywhere near the Brazilian national team.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The last time the Dutch defended like that against the Germans, they lost control of their country for 5 years.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Denilson was *****.