Tuesday's gossip includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Collins on the way out

Post by prophet:marginal »

Just the musings on someone's blog, or more to this?
RWJ

Post by RWJ »

He's an alright defender, slow on the ground and injured way too much through out his west ham career.

I wouldnt be so sorry to see him go and get a Zola defender in.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote:Just the musings on someone's blog, or more to this?

just that mate
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Not a fan of Collins to be honest. Think he's of the Davenport school of last ditch defending. Send him to Cardiff with £2m and we'll have Ledley.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Had the misfortune to come accross this blog a few times. Scrambled Egg would make this bloke look daft....... :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

davids cross wrote:Had the misfortune to come accross this blog a few times. Scrambled Egg would make this bloke look daft....... :lol:
:lol:
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Collins is an old fashioned centre back who gets shown up against better teams.

I **** a brick when we play someone good with him at the back.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Collins next on the Hammers exit list?

James Collins is the latest Hammers player to be linked with a move away form the club.

The Welshman is said to be on his former Club Cardiff's wishlist. If reports are to be believed, Several Bluebirds moves for Collins have been rejected, both permanent and on-loan deals but the 25 year old has struggled with injuries lately and with Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola impressing in East London and looking to re-build, Collins could be allowed to exit.

It'd be a shame to see him leave. He has been a consistent performer when fit and if truth be told could probably get another bite at the cherry elsewhere in the Premier League.

http://www.clubfanzine.com/west_ham_uni ... p?id=25028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joyful2

Post by joyful2 »

Can't believe he'd want to go back to Cardiff -- is better than that I feel. Isn't his missus an Essex girl -- would be like Gavin and Stacey...

Much respect to the ginger pele, for his performances on the pitch and in the stands against Stoke
BLT319

Post by BLT319 »

i cant believe cardiff can afford him... hes got to be around 4 million
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

Matt of iron wrote:Collins is an old fashioned centre back who gets shown up against better teams.

I sh*t a brick when we play someone good with him at the back.
That's about right,

Great for games like Sunderland away, he'll win headers all day long.

But is in trouble with dribblers, games like Spurs away when Pavluychenko turned him, he's found a bit wanting.

Decent player however who I'd rather keep.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Matt of iron wrote:Collins is an old fashioned centre back who gets shown up against better teams.

I sh*t a brick when we play someone good with him at the back.
You mean like when we played Man Utd last game of the season in the survival year and he was the man of the match (apart from Tevez, obviously :wink: ).

I love short memory syndrome.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Billydinho wrote:
You mean like when we played Man Utd last game of the season in the survival year and he was the man of the match (apart from Tevez, obviously :wink: ).

I love short memory syndrome.

Yeah, you clearly have an incredibly short one if you haven't seen him in his full "I'mgonnathrowmyselfatmymanbecauseilosthimandlookbrave" glory.

I.e Other then that game against a United who were under strength and getting ready for a final he drops some massive clangers.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

At least he isn't dying, like I was lead to believe with the headline of this topic!.
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

Please tell me this isn't true :(

IMO he was the real reason for our improved form from about late December onwards. He's quality and a very underrated player.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

cockney hammer wrote:http://thegamesgonecrazy.blogspot.com/2 ... y-out.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After the Sunderland game at the Stadium of Dim Light, his head must have ached for a week. Time and time and time and time and time again it was Collins rising to head it clear as Blunderland pumped the ball into our box. He has also been incredibly brave whe closing down crosses, throwing himself in front of shots, risking injury in the team's cause.
That game showed both his good and bad points. Yes in the second half he was immense as Sunderland played to his strengths and just lofted balls into our area but in the first he was terrible and really should have lost us that game on his own (he should have been sent off and given away a couple of penalties).

He is a decent enough centre half but not as good as some people make out, I'd play Tomkins over him - especially since Tomkins is only likely to improve. I'd also pick Davenport first but he is likely on his way out as well.
bigfatjeff

Post by bigfatjeff »

For me he is a trier who gets done by the better player. If we are serious about competing for 8th to 5th in the Prem I think we need someone smarter than him. If he stays, I won't be too disappointed as he would be a useful squad member.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Matt of iron wrote: I love short memory syndrome.

Yeah, you clearly have an incredibly short one if you haven't seen him in his full "I'mgonnathrowmyselfatmymanbecauseilosthimandlookbrave" glory.

I.e Other then that game against a United who were under strength and getting ready for a final he drops some massive clangers.[/quote]

So Upson doesn't? Tomkins doesn't? Every defender in our team makes errors. Collins does throw himself at everything but not because of an error he's made. At the start of the season, it was mainly because of errors Neill had made.

Collins gets injured, Tomins deputises well, Collins classed as surplus by fickle fans. How often do we see this from fans? As I said before when there was an issue on this, how can fans preach so much about loyalty in players when fans show a complete lack themselves.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

tbh I think Collins is not that good, in the air decent, on the floor very bad, he just throws himself at the ball but bravery doesn't make a player and in my view he's no where near Upsons level.
Hammer81

Post by Hammer81 »

Collins is a decent pro. If we get shot of him, it wont be the end of the world. I'm sure Zola and co will have someone else lined up as a replacement.

He is strong and is great for a backs-against-the-wall job....but anything else and he does get found out a bit.