saturday's gossip includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Memorial Ground

Re: saturday's gossip includes west ham

Post by Memorial Ground »

Where you getting that from, CH?
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Memorial Ground wrote:Where you getting that from, CH?
His minds eye.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Memorial Ground wrote:Where you getting that from, CH?

never you mind babe :wink:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Hammers yet to decide on Kovac
Czech midfielder's future remains up in the air

By Vasek Kadlec

Radoslav Kovac claims there is still a possibility his loan deal at West Ham will be made permanent.

The Czech Republic international joined the Hammers on a short-term agreement from Spartak Moscow in January.

He played a regular role in Gianfranco Zola's plans towards the end of the 2008/09 campaign and did not look out of place among the Premier League elite.

Speculation has suggested that West Ham are unwilling to meet Spartak's asking price, despite his impressive showings, but Kovac insists an agreement could yet be struck.

"Let's not make conclusions yet," he told deniksport.cz.
Options

Spartak's valuation is said to be around €4million (£3.5m), a figure the Hammers are reluctant to pay.

However, Kovac's agent claims his client has plenty of other options to consider, should his time at Upton Park come to an end.

"It is still open (with West Ham)," said Pavel Zika.

"Radek's loan spell at West Ham is to expire at the end of June and, should the two sides fail to reach an agreement, he will start pre-season training with Spartak Moscow on 1st July.

"We have also received approaches from England, Germany and Turkey."
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

derek zoolander wrote:
His minds eye.
more like his brown eye :wink:

Ok, so we're in talks with a keeper and a CB...can I be the first to jump on the Upson and Green are off bandwagon?

As far as I'm concerened, City would have to offer £16m+ to take upson. He's a regular (now) England international and unlike Barry, they would not be able to get him for free next summer. £16m-£20m or f*** off you arab c**** is what I say.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

dyl even the japs eye i know someone had to say it :wink:
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

cockney hammer wrote:dyl even the japs eye i know someone had to say it :wink:
I never claimed to be original CH :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

lol :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

The Lee Bowyer Obituary

Lee Bowyer has had two spells with the club and, frankly, has hardly covered himself in glory on either occasion. In fact, I reckon he was as much to blame for our relegation in 2002/03 as Roeder and Breen. In a similar way to Neill having an effect greater than his playing performances in helping us to escape the drop, so the negative effect Bowyer had on our dressing room was, I believe, far greater after he joined the struggle against the drop than any mistakes he might have made on the pitch. David James came as close as he could to saying that "the black lads" in the dressing room didn't want Bowyer at the club but their concerns were ignored. But Paulo Di Canio was probably delighted to see another blackshirt in the dressing room I suppose.

I must confess that I find it difficult to be objective when it comes to Bowyer. I don't want to risk a legal action so I copy and paste from the net:

"AFTER being cleared of causing grievous bodily harm to an Asian student, Leeds United footballers Lee Bowyer and Jonathan Woodgate learned yesterday that they could find themselves in court again when the family of Sarfraz Najeib announced a civil action against the players and their club.

The family of Najeib, who was "within inches" of being beaten to death by a drunken mob, plans to allege that the attack was racially motivated, an element which was ruled out at two lengthy criminal trials which ended last week.

Although the two players were cleared by a jury of causing grievous bodily harm to Najeib, both admitted they were drunk and Woodgate was found guilty of affray. They could now be punished financially in a civil action, where the burden of proof is based on balance of probabilities rather than beyond reasonable doubt. The players already face legal costs of up to £1million from the criminal trial.

While one of the players’ friends was sentenced to six years in jail for causing Najeib’s injuries, Woodgate was given 100 hours community service - a punishment which the Najeib family described as "shocking."

Najeib, 19 at the time, suffered fractures to his nose, cheekbone and left leg as well as a bitten cheekbone after being chased by a gang in Leeds city centre on 12 January, 2000. He spent eight days in a hospital.

Suresh Grover, spokesman for the family, said Najeib was still suffering 23 months after the attack.

"He finds it difficult to proceed with normal life," Grover said at a news conference. "He was within inches of being killed. The mental and physical scars will live with him for the rest of his life."

Grover described last week’s court verdicts as "illogical." He said the family would continue its search for justice by pursuing damages against the players and the club.

"The family believes that this action is necessary now to ensure lasting justice for Sarfraz and [his brother] Shahzad but also to ensure that these incidents are treated with the seriousness they deserve and that they do not occur again," he said.

"The family also believe that Leeds United football club failed to control their players and were involved in a cover-up."

Najeib’s father, Mohamad Najeib, said the family was stunned by last Friday’s verdicts.

"After consulting my lawyers, we have decided that my sons have no choice but to proceed with a civil action and to bring those responsible for the attack to justice," said Najeib snr.

Bowyer is a thug on the pitch and, seemingly, a thug off it too. Who can forget that disgraceful on pitch brawl with Kieron Dyer back in their Newcastle days? In 51 starts plus 9 as sub, Bowyer managed to rack up as many as 18 yellow cards and one red. The only surprise about that statistic is that he saw red just the once - but I wonder how many of his 19 substitutions were to prevent the probability of a second yellow?

In his first spell with the club, Bowyer failed to contribute a single goal but second time around he did a bit better, chipping in with 5 goals in 40 starts. However, a glance at the opposition he scored against puts this into perspective: Wigan, Miserableborough, Derby County and Macclesfield. His second spell has been blighted by injury (inevitably) and he has been asked to play out of position, wide on the right or left, far too often. He lacks the pace to play wide and his greatest strength is arriving late in the box to get on the end of crosses, so successive managers have failed to use him to best effect.

Bowyer's best game for us was probably that 5-0 victory at Derby, when he scored twice. Less happy memories include the six goal thumpings at Man Utd and Reading.

I can't see many tears being shed about Bowyer's departure. Mind you, the Newham branch of the BNP might fly their Union Jack at half mast on the day he finally signs for Birmingham.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

That's absolute b*llocks about Bowyer.
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

Tel The Hammer wrote:That's absolute b***ocks about Bowyer.
Yeah, CH.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

do not have a go at me lol it is from our mate should have stuck the link up http://thegamesgonecrazy.blogspot.com/2 ... tuary.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

I knew it wasn't from you CH. :wink:

That article has been half-lifted from The Guardian years back.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

masters time again

Post by cockney hammer »

http://www.whufc.com/page/News/0,,12562~1679529,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

United fight Bayern Munich for French international

West Ham United Football Club face a fight for Rod Fanni.

The Hammers are keen to add the France international defender to their squad this summer, but Bayern Munich are amongst a host of other clubs also interested.

"It's true that we have spoken to West Ham scout Roger Cross who has asked about information on Rod," agent Dominique Six told skysports.com.

“West Ham would need to speak to Rennes. We believe England would be a good option for Rod, but there is also interest from clubs in Spain and Bayern Munich."