thursday's gossip 17th feb includes west ham updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

thursday's gossip 17th feb includes west ham updated

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

I’ll raise the Ba with my pal Carlton

DEMBA BA believes his partnership with Carlton Cole can save West Ham from relegation.

Ba struck twice and Cole once as the Hammers came back from 3-0 down to salvage a draw at drop zone rivals West Brom on Saturday.

The Senegal hitman, a £6million January buy from Hoffenheim, said: "I definitely think myself and Carlton can work together.

"With Carlton it was very nice because we have a certain friendship.

"I'm very happy with my two goals but very tired as it is a long time since I played from the beginning."

the sun

Orient's Olympic Stadium anger

BARRY HEARN says he will fight Premier League and government "bullies" over West Ham's move into the Olympic Stadium.

Leyton Orient chairman Hearn claims he has not been contacted by anyone from the Premier League or government to discuss the impact on his club.

And he will take legal action if they refuse to consult with Orient before the move is rubber-stamped by London Mayor Boris Johnson.

Hearn has talks with Premier League chief Richard Scudamore tomorrow.

The O's Brisbane Road ground is close to the Olympic Stadium, and Hearn fears West Ham could put Orient out of business.

He said: "We have not been shown respect by the Premier League or government. They are big bullies, who just think they will get their way.

"This is a matter of life and death - and they've picked on the wrong guy."

the mirror

Leyton Orient chairman asks PM to step in over Olympic Stadium row

Leyton Orient chairman Barry Hearn has written to Prime Minister David Cameron and London Mayor Boris Johnson asking them to look again at the decision to award West Ham the Olympic Stadium and is taking legal advice over the possibility of a judicial review.

West Ham were named the preferred bidders by the Olympic Park Legacy Committee - a decision which must still be ratified - but as the club closest to the site, Orient believe their very existence would be threatened by the arrival of the Hammers.

Hearn is in talks with his legal team about a judicial review, which could significantly delay the process of confirming West Ham's tenancy, and has outlined his concerns to Cameron and Johnson as well as Jeremy Hunt, secretary of state for Culture, Media and Sport, and Hugh Robertson, Minister for Sport and the Olympics.

Hearn said: "It's a question of due process and whether the Olympic Park Legacy Committee, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and even the Prime Minister have given consideration to Leyton Orient in these discussions."

Hearn continued: "The government has a responsibility to take into account all the effects of any ruling they take.

"We are awaiting what I assume is a rubber-stamp decision from Boris Johnson and the DCMS to award West Ham the stadium.

"But I find it incredible they would even consider making the decision before undergoing due process in regard to the effect on the incumbent football club."

Hearn's major concern is with the suggestions from West Ham that they would offer free and heavily discounted tickets upon their arrival in the new ground.

Their current average attendance is just over 30,000, with the Olympic Stadium likely to hold around double that after re-development.

Hearn fears the incentives on offer to locals to fill the ground could force his club, based within a mile of the Olympic site, to the wall.

"The comments last week about the number of complimentary tickets available and family tickets for the price of a single ticket have grave implications for our club," Hearn said.

"Leyton Orient has been in existence for 130 years and by any stretch of the imagination we are the incumbent club.

"To have a giant like West Ham on our doorstep offering discounted and free tickets would seriously bring into question the survival of Leyton Orient.

"We have asked our lawyers about the benefits or otherwise of a full judicial review where we will be challenging the right of the government to make that decision.

"I have written to David Cameron, Boris Johnson, Hugh Robertson and Jeremy Hunt asking them not to rubber-stamp West Ham's move at this stage and at least give us the respect, the decency and the right to put our case forward about the continuation of our football club."

the daily mail

Barry Hearn threatens PM David Cameron with legal battle if he gives go ahead to West Ham stadium move

Barry Hearn has warned Prime Minister David Cameron not to rubber-stamp West Ham's proposed takeover of the Olympic Stadium or he will be risking a protracted legal battle.

The Leyton Orient chairman is also threatening proceedings against the FA Premier League if they, too, sanction the move - a course of action which he believes is against Premier League rules. He will meet its chief executive Richard Scudamore tomorrow to discuss his club's position.

Hearn said: 'I do not blame West Ham. They are only looking after their own interests. The culprits here are the Government and the Premier League. I am asking the Government not to rubber-stamp the decision before they undergo due process in taking into account the effects on the incumbent resident football club.
Eyes on the prize: Orient chairman Hearn (centre) says the club will challenge the Olympic Park Legacy Committee's decision

Eyes on the prize: Orient chairman Hearn (centre) says the club will challenge the Olympic Park Legacy Committee's decision

'To have a giant of West Ham's stature on our doorstep offering discounted and free tickets would seriously bring into question the survival of Leyton Orient. Let's be frank, the floating fan at a school in this area is going to be much more impressed by Premier League football than by League One.

Hearn revealed that Orient had discussions about moving on to the Olympic site four years ago but could not agree to architectural plans which would give no possibility for covering the athletics track with retractable seating for football matches.

In addition to Cameron, he has also written to London Mayor Boris Johnson, Minister for Sport and the Olympics Hugh Robertson and Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.
Future vision: West Ham were recommended as the preferred bidder for the Olympic Stadium

Future vision: West Ham were recommended as the preferred bidder for the Olympic Stadium

He added: 'I expect replies from all four gentlemen. This is a very difficult time for Leyton Orient Football Club. We have been in existence for 130 years and we have been at this ground since 1937. By any stretch of the imagination we are the incumbent local club.

'I don't like being bullied by the big boys. The only way to front up a bully is to push him on the back foot. I find it absolutely staggering the lack of respect for Leyton Orient.

'I'm not looking to be controversial or antagonistic. My efforts are solely aimed at the sustainablity of this club. No-one wants a judicial review but football is a focus point of communities in this country and has a voice which deserves to be heard.

'Rules are not made just to read and ignore. Rules are made to govern. The governance of the Premier League and the control they have of being able to say yes or no makes them financially liable for any breach of those rules themselves.'

the telegraph

West Ham forced to wait to discover whether they have gained Government backing for Olympic Stadium bid

West Ham were selected as the preferred bidder for the stadium by the Olympic Park Legacy Company last week. The decision needs to be ratified by the London mayor Boris Johnson and ministers Jeremy Hunt and Eric Pickles before final negotiations over the deal can begin.

The ministers have promised to make an announcement to Parliament and had hoped to do so this week, but the Commons rises on Thursday lunchtime and is in recess until Monday February 28.

Sources have indicated that no statement is expected before the recess, leaving West Ham and the OPLC in limbo until at least a week on Monday.

The government and mayor have given strong indications that they intend to ratify West Ham’s selection and there is no indication at this stage that there is any reason for delay other than due process.

The pause will please some however including Leyton Orient chairman Barry Hearn who said today he has written to the Prime Minister and Johnson requesting that they think again about agreeing to West Ham moving so close to Brisbane Road.

“This is clearly a very difficult time for Leyton Orient,” Hearn said. “In our view, the move of West Ham to the Olympic Stadium has great implications for our club here.

“We have been here since 1937, we are the incumbent local club. To have a giant of West Ham’s stature on our doorstep would seriously bring into the question our surival. This is something, as the chairman of my local team, I take very seriously.

“Let’s be honest, the ‘floating voters’, the youngsters coming into the area are going to be more impressed by the Premier League than by League One football.”

Hearn is meeting Richard Scudamore, the Premier League chief executive, on Friday to raise the club’s grievances.

“The rules of the Premier League are, to my untrained legal eyes, black and white,” he said. “They say they will not grant a PL club consent to move ground if it would adversely affect clubs having their grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location.”

Hearn is also considering judicial review of the OPLC process.

premiership talk

Premier League manager sack race betting

With Everton being dragged into a relegation battle, Chelsea faltering in defense of their Premier League crown, and West Ham struggling for any sort of consistency it is surely only a matter of time before the next Premier League manager is sacked.

In terms of patience shown towards managers this has been a relatively good season for those occupying the Premier League dugouts. “Only” four managers have been sacked as we enter the final third of the season.

Sam Allardyce and Chris Hughton were, admittedly, at the time, ludicrous decisions, but Roy Hodgson was given more than enough time to prove himself at Liverpool and it’s hard to defend Roberto Di Matteo’s disastrous run towards the end of his West Bromwich Albion tenure.

But the patience of a chairman and his board is only ever a few bad results away from snapping. After all, as we are often reminded, football is a results driven business.

In fact, had West Ham not completed a miraculous comeback – that, incidentally, was not give nearly enough credit due to the previous week’s shenanigans – then we may have seen our fifth managerial departure of the season in Avram Grant.

As it is, he remains in a job but is the bookmakers favourite at odds of 4/5 to be the next Premier League manager to leave his post.

Although the Everton betting odds on relegation remain a lengthy 18/1, the Toffees’ captain Phil Neville has this week admitted that his team are in a relegation battle, while David Moyes described the loss to Bolton as “one of the worst performances” of his nine year career.

Any move from Bill Kenwright to sack Moyes would come as a massive shock given all that the Scot has achieved for Everton in the past, however there could come a time when the pair sit down to discuss the best plan of action for the club.

The lack of funds available to Moyes in the transfer market has been a sore point at Goodison Park for some time, and there may come a point when he decides that he has done as much as he can with the current group of players. Moyes is 5/1 to be the next Premier League manager to be sacked or resign.

Third favourite to become the next manager to be given the boot is Carlo Ancelotti at odds of 8/1.

The Italian led Chelsea to their first ever domestic double in his first season in charge. However, following a dismal run of form over the winter period, the Blues are now in genuine danger of finishing outside of the top four. Winning the Champions League remains Roman Abramovich’s dream but if their poor league form continues they may need to win it to be involved next season.

With the season drawing to a close and a number of teams failing to live up to their respective aspirations it is surely only a matter of time before the next Premier League managerial casualty. But just whom will the axe fall on next?
Last edited by cockney hammer on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
damiant
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: thursday's gossip 17th feb includes west ham

Post by damiant »

cheers ch
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Ta CH. Where do you keep the crash barrier anyway?
Xander
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Xander »

Thanks CH :thup:

Apart from anything else Hearn is showing no respect to the O's fans; they wont all suddenly think "ooo West Ham, must go support them now". I have followed West Ham practically all my life, when we have been relegated, all the times we play like an utter shower of ****. I have never once thought "sod this, I'm going to support Chelski/Arsenal/Spurs". Money grabbing, twat of a man.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
Go on Hearn my son, help us out here.
Deptford Hammer

Post by Deptford Hammer »

Xander wrote:Thanks CH :thup:

Apart from anything else Hearn is showing no respect to the O's fans; they wont all suddenly think "ooo West Ham, must go support them now". I have followed West Ham practically all my life, when we have been relegated, all the times we play like an utter shower of sh*t. I have never once thought "sod this, I'm going to support Chelski/Ars*nal/Sp*rs". Money grabbing, twat of a man.
I am sure that must be right in respect of existing fans. Surely Hearn is worried about young, potential fans who have yet to settle on a club or "floating" fans - people that just like to go to a game and don't follow a particular team. I don't know how you quantify that though in terms of loss of bums on seats
MrMum

Post by MrMum »

Market forces Mr Hearn, if you were that concerned why didn't you enter a bid for the stadium?
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

MrMum wrote:Market forces Mr Hearn, if you were that concerned why didn't you enter a bid for the stadium?
I believe Hearn did look at an Olympic Stadium option but he refused to accomodate the running track.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Good work CH... thanks mate :crest:
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

CH :thup:

Image -2°C

hammer's BOTD 1 18+
hammer's BOTD 2 18+
hammer's BOTD 3 18+

P.S.
Muddy wrote:Go on Hearn my son, help us out here.
drama lama Image
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Tottenham are set to beat Italian teams AC Milan, Roma and Juventus for the signature of Seville's Brazil international striker Luis Fabiano, who is valued at £14m.
Full story: the Sun

England winger Shaun Wright-Phillips is resigned to leaving Manchester City this summer after almost departing on loan during the January transfer window.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Liverpool are in a five-way chase for St Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi, with Roma, Juventus, Fiorentina and Schalke also in the hunt.
Full story: talkSPORT

Inter Milan are poised to make a move for Tottenham midfielder Sandro following his stunning performance against their arch rivals AC Milan in the Champions League this week.

Blackburn are planning an audacious £20m summer move for Roma striker Mirko Vucinic.

Liverpool are lining up a £10m move for Lille forward Gervinho this summer.

Blackburn are willing to let flop midfielder Herold Goulon leave on a free transfer just months after signing him.

Tottenham's unsettled striker Roman Pavlyuchenko is a big-money target for Sunderland this summer.
Full story: Metro

West Brom sporting director Dan Ashworth says the club made bids for 29 strikers during the January transfer window. (Daily Star)

Manchester United will demand left-back Marcelo from Real Madrid as part of any deal to take Patrice Evra to the Bernabeu.
Full story: Caughtoffside

Russian club Volga expect Marc Crosas to complete a medical and sign a three-year contract to complete the midfielder's £300,000 move from Celtic. (Various)

Dundee player-manager Barry Smith says he is not surprised that midfielder Craig Forsyth is being targeted by Hibernian, Motherwell and St Johnstone. (the Sun)

OTHER GOSSIP

The agent of Gennaro Gattuso has claimed the Italian was verbally provoked by Tottenham coach Joe Jordan before retaliating with a head-butt in the Champions League last-16 match on Tuesday.
Full story: Daily Telegraph

Tottenham striker Peter Crouch says Spurs are genuine contenders for the Champions League following their 1-0 win over AC Milan at the San Siro.
Full story: Guardian

Spurs team-mate Vedran Corluka fears he could be out for the season following a two-footed tackle from Milan midfielder Mathieu Flamini.
Full story: The Sun

Qatar Holdings, the company owned by the Qatar Royal family, says it is not in discussions to buy Manchester United.
Full story: Daily Telegraph

Former Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor has risked the wrath of Gunners fans by urging skipper Cesc Fabregas to quit the club for Real Madrid.

Promising Manchester City Ivorian youngster Abdul Razak is waiting to discover whether he will be allowed to remain in the UK by the Home Office. (the Times)

Liverpool teenage striker Raheem Sterling was nicknamed "The Magician" by QPR's head of youth development because of his talent during his time at Loftus Road.
Full story: Daily Mail

Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville is to blood the new generation at Old Trafford by coaching the club's youngsters.

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard says the Champions League is a bigger priority for the Blues than the Premier League.

Plymouth players are to engage in further Professional Footballers' Association talks as January wages remain unpaid.

Hamilton manager Billy Reid has accused the Scottish Premier League of treating his club as second-class citizens after their match away to Dundee United was postponed two hours before kick-off. (Daily Record)

Aberdeen forward Sone Aluko has accused captain Paul Hartley of costing their side a point against Motherwell - and possibly a top-six finish - by being sent off during Tuesday's 2-1 defeat. (Daily Record)

A delegation from Mexican club Santos Laguna are visiting Celtic this week to finalise a feeder-club arrangement with the Glasgow outfit. (Daily Mail)

AND FINALLY

England's footballers have added charities Help for Heroes and Cancer Research UK to their good causes list.

Organic food shops? Check. Smug media types? Check. Painfully cool indie bars exclusively showcasing bands so obscure that their own guitarist won't have heard of them for another three years? Check. Yes folks, north London has it all. Including a pair of football clubs who have just given Milan and Barcelona what for.

How anyone could want to leave such a place is beyond simple folk like the Mill, and yet escaping is exactly what Tottenham Hotspur had been trying to do before their bid for the Olympic Stadium was snubbed last week. Having failed in that audacious attempt to relocate wholesale, the new plan seems to be to slip away one at a time. Roman Pavlyuchenko will get the ball rolling by stepping out under cover of darkness and catching a train to Sunderland.

If this morning's gossip is to be believed, he will shortly be followed out of the exit door by the young Brazilian midfielder Sandro – wanted by Internazionale – as well as Niko Kranjcar, who is on his way to Liverpool. Still, Harry Redknapp won't be too distraught as Sevilla are finally ready to flog him their Brazilian striker Luís Fabiano in the summer. Plus Karren Brady revealed in her letter from the future last week that he'll be taking the England job before too long anyway, so he can lead the nation to World Cup glory in 2014.

But Tottenham and Sunderland aren't the only ones seeking attacking reinforcements – Blackburn Rovers' search for a high-profile new striker also continues apace. The Roma and Montenegro star Mirko Vucinic could be available for £20m in the summer and is supposedly ready to give up dispiriting Champions League defeats to Shakhtar Donetsk at the Stadio Olimpico in favour of dispiriting Premier League defeats to Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium. In the meantime Rovers will let the midfielder Hérold Goulon leave on a free transfer.

One player who won't be going anywhere, on the other hand, is Manchester City's Michael Johnson, who has been told he can't join Leeds United or Crystal Palace on loan. The City manager Roberto Mancini has big dreams for the player, including one where they slay an army of orcs while riding on a pair of unicorns, and another where Johnson gets a run-out in Sunday's FA Cup replay with Notts County.

Elsewhere, Valencia are trying to palm off the Portugal defender Miguel on either Newcastle United or Aston Villa, Derby County are preparing a banner to welcome imminent loan signing Rob Edwards from Blackpool, and Juventus are after the Fiorentina striker Alberto Gilardino.

Blackburn are plotting a £10m summer swoop for Brazilian star Luis Fabiano, while Shaun Wright-Phillips is resigned to leaving Manchester City.
.: Andrey Arshavin fired Arsenal to an historic Champions League win against Barca to leave boss Arsene Wenger roaring with pride.
Harry Redknapp has blasted claims Joe Jordan racially abused Gennaro Gattuso.
Joey Barton has urged Newcastle owner Mike Ashley to spend - and spend big - this summer.
Shaun Wright-Phillips fears he will be leaving Man City this summer, following talks over his future with Roberto Mancini.
Michael Owen is facing another spell on the sidelines after damaging his groin in training.
..: Andrey Arshavin completed an incredible fightback to send Arsenal to the Nou Camp with a priceless lead.
Blackburn plan an audacious £20million move for Roma striker Mirko Vucinic as the Indian owners seek a marquee summer signing.
Shaun Wright-Phillips is resigned to leaving Manchester City this summer - but has vowed to give his all until the end of the season.
Birmingham boss Alex McLeish says he's in no position to offer the likes of Scott Dann and Roger Johnson improved contracts.
Hull are stepping up their bid to sign Wolves winger Michael Kightly on loan.
Blackburn boss Steve Kean will let French midfielder Herold Goulon go on a free transfer.
..: Arsenal produced a sensational comeback to beat Barcelona last night.
Milan thug Gennaro Gattuso is facing an eight-match ban for head-butting Tottenham coach Joe Jordan.
Blackburn are plotting a £10million summer swoop for Brazilian star Luis Fabiano.
Gary Taylor-Fletcher has boosted Blackpool in the battle to avoid the drop by insisting he wants to stay.
Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has denied he has a dressing-room revolt on his hands.
..: Arsene Wenger was bursting with pride after Arsenal fought their way back to beat Barcelona, the team he hails as the best in world football.
Tottenham first-team coach Joe Jordan has been accused of insulting AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso in the 'most cowardly and unspeakable terms' at the San Siro on Tuesday night.
Roberto Martinez wants Middlesbrough midfielder Julio Arca to join the five-strong Latin American enclave at Wigan.
Blackburn are considering a £16million move for Roma striker Mirko Vucinic.
..: Arsenal gave their fans a night they will never forget, coming from behind to beat tournament favourites Barcelona in their Champions League last-16 clash.
AC Milan captain Gennaro Gattuso is facing a potential eight-match ban after UEFA launched an investigation into his butt on Tottenham's first-team coach Joe Jordan.
..: Gennaro Gattuso will consider a defence of provocation if, as expected, he is charged by UEFA's disciplinary committee for butting Tottenham Hotspur assistant manager Joe Jordan.
..: Jimmy Calderwood is poised to be named Ross County's new manager.
Kennet
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Kennet »

Deptford Hammer wrote: I am sure that must be right in respect of existing fans. Surely Hearn is worried about young, potential fans who have yet to settle on a club or "floating" fans - people that just like to go to a game and don't follow a particular team. I don't know how you quantify that though in terms of loss of bums on seats
And that is the very reason why we had to bid for it! Not just floating fans but the youth catchment issue!
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Re: thursday's gossip 17th feb includes west ham updated

Post by kitthehammer »

Stratford is barely any more Leyton Orient territory than it is West Ham. The difference is about 1/4 mile, if that.

And so Mr Hearn are you saying that Leyton Orient should have the Olympic Stadium instead and pack it out every other week with less than 5000 fans?
Or would you rather have tottenham move in from 6 1/2 miles away, bulldoze the stadium and have 2 premier league teams within 4 miles?
Or are you saying that no team should move into the Olympic Stadium and it barely gets used being a White Elephant until it is bulldozed anyway and UK athletics going back to Crystal Palace?

What a twat.
Some people just wont accept that they have lost or they missed an opportunity.
iamakka
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by iamakka »

I have to say I read the Orient story and said "What?"
Why would the Premier League be talking to them about the Olympic stadium? Surely if anyone were to consult with them over the proposed move of any club closer to their ground, it would be the FA?
Why would the government be consulting with them? They had the option to get involved in the bidding for the stadium. If they had concerns I would have thought the onus would be on Orient to bring these to their local council or MP?
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

Cheers CH! :thup:
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Cheers CH :thup:
LondonPride

Post by LondonPride »

Orient can go **** themselves.

Never have I heard a more hypocritical, money grabbing, one sided, twisted, stupid, vague, selfish, greedy, manipulative argument from anybody like I have heard from Hearn and Orient. It annoys me quite a bit that I once considered them a second team.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

vietnammer wrote:Ta CH. Where do you keep the crash barrier anyway?

in the cupboard it is a long bit of tube you used to lean against i would take another photo but i have a new phone and i have to set it up
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

On the subject of 'crash barriers' etc

I wonder how many of us will want our own little piece of the Boleyn after the last game..?

Maybe a chair from the Paulo DiCanio suite, a flat screen tv from one of the bedrooms :wink: ,
personally I would love the home dressing room door.
That would look sweet on our bathroom.

Steve how big is this crash barrier then..?