saturday's gossip 19th feb includes west ham updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's gossip 19th feb includes west ham updated

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Hitz is on target

AVRAM GRANT reckons potentially he has the best central midfielder in the Premier League.

And he's not talking about Scott Parker. It's ex-Germany captain Thomas Hitzlsperger, who will make his long-awaited debut for second-bottom West Ham on Monday - eight months after arriving from Lazio.

The 28-year-old, nicknamed 'The Hammer', has been out since picking up a thigh injury three days before the season kicked off.

Now after two reserve games, Grant, whose side host Burnley on Monday, is sending for the Hitzman.

Grant said: "He will play on Monday. If he plays like he did in pre-season, then he is one of the best midfielders in the league.

"He has touch, vision, scores, assists and he defends clever. He was very good in every pre-season game, he scored or provided an assist."

the sun

Karren Brady’s football diary

BREAKFAST in our household is as happy-looking as a cornflakes packet.

Paul's team Burton came out of hibernation last night - eight postponements this term - to win.

And West Ham have been awarded preferred bidder status in the Olympic Stadium fight. So it's off to West Brom but a third of the way through, we're 0-3 down.

Optimistic club solicitor Henri Brandman tells us directors: "It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings."

I feel my waistline and try to explain I can't sing.

At 3-3, it's West Brom's directors looking for an overweight soprano...
Sunday, February 13

IN professional football today, loyalty by and large comes wrapped in pound notes.

Not with the Nevilles, it doesn't. Gary spent 20 outspoken but uncomplaining years at Man U.

Phil says today he owes Everton too much to have given great thought to Spurs' recent transfer approach.

So he'll have been in despair about his team's show at Bolton where a 2-0 defeat is a relegation warning.

It looks like they are snoozing. Every season features a club in freefall.

My pal chairman Bill Kenwright must have real fears, although he's lucky to have David Moyes.
Monday, February 14

MY Valentine card from Lord Sugar is sweet and a tiny bit sour.

On a West Ham background there is a pair of claret-coloured binoculars, making the point that they'll be needed to be able to watch the football when we move to the Olympic Stadium rather than his club, Spurs.

That's OK, Lord Sugar, you'll still be invited to our first match in a stadium that will be the envy of our neighbours - and the world.

Our plan to send the players on a warm-weather break collapsed because the management couldn't find anywhere warm.

But I don't see a great problem in players staying at home, like millions of other working Brits.

With their draw at Fulham, Chelsea all but surrender the Premier League title. Now they have a fight on to qualify for the Champions League. Close to an unbelievable scenario.
Tuesday, February 15

LOVE of playing football is at the heart of every great player.

And I go along with Gerard Houllier who made that point today, aimed at Gareth Barry and James Milner - two ex-Villa men now paid huge sums to be in and out of the Man City side.

I leave the tactics and motivation to Roberto Mancini but I'm sure both would like to be in the team every match.

It would amaze me if they haven't asked themselves the Houllier question: Would I do the same again?

Advertisement

I am given a brief on Robbie Keane's injury. It's typical of our luck that we persuaded Spurs to let us have Keane and now he could be out for six weeks.
Wednesday, February 16

IF I were Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, I'd lock Harry Redknapp up and tell him he can come out only if he promises to stay beyond 2012.

The clamour to make him England boss will be so great, it will take cloth ears to ignore it.

Last night the Redknapp eye twitched in disbelief as he talked of Gennaro Gattuso's Glasgow kiss on his No 2 Joe Jordan.

Today UEFA promise action; a few rounds with Jordan would be appropriate.

Spurs' stunning win is followed tonight by Arsenal's equally meritorious victory against Barcelona. Both have played with verve and style to compare with the world's best.
Thursday, February 17

LEYTON ORIENT chairman Barry Hearn threatens legal action to delay West Ham's projected move to the Olympic Stadium on the grounds that we will be selling cheap tickets.

This smacks of TK Maxx suing John Lewis for holding a sale.

I can understand why he fears the competition from a big neighbour moving in next door.

But does he really believe the stadium should be empty for eight months of the year just because his average crowd of 3,000 might be affected?

He's also asking if O's could occupy the 15,000-seat hockey stadium. Yes, with one proviso.

We plan to put the proceeds of the Upton Park sale into the stadium conversion. Shareholders will not make a penny profit.

I look forward to Hearn, who owns Brisbane Road, making a similar gesture.
Friday, February 18

THIS is where I clamber on to a hobby horse of mine. A half-empty stadium on match day is among the most hateful sights I know, along with an expanding rump and a balance sheet in the red.

Sadly these days, the FA and League Cups are in steep decline and the single way to arrest it seems to me to be cheap seats, particularly for families. Good idea? Pity is away clubs often stand in the way as their receipts - these are shared - may be hit.

In effect, this means the away club can decide the home club's pricing structure. For tomorrow's game at Upton Park, I wanted season-ticket holders of both clubs to pay £10 but Burnley wouldn't go lower than £15, so that's how it stands.

the sun

Eddie: I know Howe you feel, Avram

EDDIE HOWE has plenty of sympathy for under-fire West Ham boss Avram Grant - but says he has not faced REAL pressure.

The Burnley chief believes the task of trying to prevent former club Bournemouth going bust - and keeping them in the league after a 17-point deduction - has prepared him for anything.

Howe, 33, not only kept the Cherries afloat two years ago, he also got them promoted to League One last season. That is why Burnley came calling last month.

Burnley have lost just one of seven games under Howe, and he is looking forward to Monday's FA Cup fifth round tie at Upton Park.

He said: "When I took the job at Bournemouth, we were aware if we went out of the league the club would probably have gone under.

"That is probably the biggest pressure I'll ever work under.

"We've all heard the stories about Avram Grant being in danger of the sack. It doesn't give me any satisfaction to see any manager struggling."

the sun

Andy’s ready to ’roll at Boleyn

ANDY CARROLL has targeted the trip to West Ham a week tomorrow for his Liverpool debut.

The England star had been pencilled in to make his bow in the clash against Manchester United on March 6.

The £35million striker, 22, has been sidelined with a torn thigh muscle since December.

He has been working hard on his rehabilitation, desperate to defy gloomy suggestions that he might not play again this season.

A friend told SunSport: "Andy is really pleased with how it's going.

"It is not impossible that he could play at Upton Park and he is now focusing on that game."

Reds manager Kenny Dalglish added: "He's a good lad, down to earth.

"You say the punters cannot relate to players and vice versa, but that's not a problem for him."

the mirror

Grant warns against major meddling with FA Cup format

Avram Grant has warned the magic of the FA Cup will disappear with big changes to the format.

The Israeli, who led Portsmouth to the FA Cup final last year, insisted the oldest club knockout competition has special appeal around the world.

And although the West Ham boss is open to minor adjustments, he insisted the 139-year history must by protected.

“I like the tradition of the FA Cup, I like it very much,” Grant said. “If there is something that would make it more exciting then I say: ‘yes’.

“But I don’t think it will change much. I don’t feel it needs to because it is unique.

“We have a problem because games are becoming more and more demanding but we must always think about the people who are coming to watch the game.

“They like the tradition of the game, they like the tradition of the past.

“I always say to be open to change but I don’t like changes if they are only for people to say they have changed something.”

Grant will finally be able to unleash Thomas Hitzlsperger for his West Ham debut on Monday – eight months after joining the club.

The former Aston Villa midfielder signed from Lazio on a free transfer last June but tore his thigh muscle in pre-season.

Grant said: “He played 70 minutes in a reserve game against Chelsea and did well. He will play on Monday. I don’t know for how long but he will play.”

the mirror

Hitzlsperger will be smash hit - West Ham's Grant

Avram Grant believes Thomas Hitzlsperger is capable of becoming one of the best midfielders in the Premier League after revealing the German will make his long-awaited West Ham competitive debut on Monday.

Hitzlsperger was the Hammers' marquee summer last summer, leaving Italian giants Lazio to join the Londoners on a free transfer.

The former Aston Villa midfielder starred in the club's pre-season campaign and looked set to be a fixture in the side before he pulled his calf while playing for Germany against Denmark in August.

He returned to training eight weeks later but suffered the agony of having the muscle come off the bone completely, ruling him out for four months.

After two starts in the reserve team, Grant is ready to throw Hitzlsperger into action in the Hammers' FA Cup fifth-round clash with Burnley and predicts the Germany captain's quality and experience mean he will become a vital asset in the club's bid to avoid relegation.

"He will play on Monday. I don't know how long but he will play," Grant said.

"If he is like he was in the [pre-season] training camps and preparation he will be one of the best midfield players in the league because of his vision, touch and ability to score goals and provide assists.

"He knows how to defend, he's clever, he was very good in every game - he scored or gave an assist.

"This is one of the reasons why they made him captain of German team."

How exactly Grant intends to fit Hitzlsperger into the team for the rest of the season is unclear.

The former Aston Villa man has limited experience of playing down either flank and his favoured position is in central midfield, where Scott Parker and Mark Noble have developed a good partnership for the club this season.

That does not worry manager Grant though, who is happy to have another experienced head available for what has so far been a disappointing campaign for the Upton Park club.

"He can play in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 as holding midfielder or as an attacking midfielder," the Israeli said.

"I have had a headache for most of the games this season because of the number of injuries.

"Against Blackpool we were missing five or six players. This is another kind of headache. It is not easy but I like it more."

Grant plans to name a strong side for Monday's match against the npower Championship team and is hoping a cup win will take the focus off his side's season-long fight against relegation.

Grant has fond memories of the FA Cup having overcome the odds to take Portsmouth to the final last year when they lost 1-0 to Chelsea.

A leaked memo this week suggested that organisers are planning to change the competition's format to scrap replays and move the final kick-off to the evening.

Grant is a big fan of how the competition is now though.

He said: "I like the tradition of the FA Cup, I like it very much.

"I don't feel it needs to change because it is unique.

"We have a problem because games are becoming more and more demanding but we must always think about the people who are coming to watch the game.

"They like the tradition of the game, they like the tradition of the past."

the mail

Grant: There's no doubting Thomas will be a big Hit at West Ham!

Thomas Hitzlsperger is to make his long-awaited West Ham debut as manager Avram Grant once again attempts to combine a relegation battle with a lengthy FA Cup run.

The Germany midfielder, 28, suffered a torn thigh on international duty in the 2-2 draw against Denmark in August, just days before the Barclays Premier League season kicked off.

The free transfer from Lazio came through a reserve outing against Chelsea in midweek and has been confirmed as being in line to play against Burnley in Monday's FA Cup fifth round clash at Upton Park.

Grant said: 'I don't know how long but he will play.'

The former Aston Villa man joins the fray with the Hammers second from bottom in the League, but Grant says Hitzlsperger could help change matters.

He said: 'He is one of the best midfield players in the League because of his all-round vision, touch, ability to score goals and make assists. He knows how to defend and is clever. This is one of the reasons why they made him captain of the German team.'

Having lost to Birmingham in the Carling Cup semifinals, Grant, who steered Portsmouth to the FA Cup final last season as they were relegated, is keen to continue his cup pedigree.

He said: 'We are more efficient in the cups. In the league we have had some good games but we were not so efficient.'

east london advertiser

Tony Cottee Column: West Ham should consult fans over Olympic Stadium

“It will be hard to convince myself and other West Ham fans that a running track will work in a football stadium, seats over the track or not”

IT’s good West Ham are set to be awarded the Olympic Stadium especially after it ended up being between us or Tottenham.

A lot of people at the Hammers have put in a lot of time and effort to make sure everything went to plan, but in reality the easy part has been done and the hard work begins now.

It will be hard to convince myself and other West Ham fans that a running track will work in a football stadium, seats over the track or not.

Now is the time for the owners to talk to the fans over their plans of what to do with the Olympic Stadium and it is vital they take their concerns on board.

From a transport of view of course a move to Stratford is in the clubs best interests, because the links are so good from there, while the opposite can be said for getting to the Boleyn at the minute.

For a long time I have been concerned that young supporters who want to go and watch matches are being priced out of the game and moving into a 60,000 arena will help.

You can charge cheaper tickets for youngsters, with kids for a quid and other initiatives.

There are a lot of people who don’t believe West Ham can fill the stadium, but I think that is utter nonsense and if the club are successful 60,000 won’t be enough.

I do feel for Orient and everything must be done to make sure lower league clubs are protected.

I would like to see West Ham sit down with Barry Hearn and Daniel Levy and try to address the fears they each have.

footballfanscast.com

Are West Ham really stepping on their toes?

The Matchroom Stadium, Brisbane road. Leyton Orient's groundThe decision on the outcome of the Olympic Stadium is still not over, much to my dismay. Yesterday Barry Hearn, chairman of Leyton Orient, said that he will challenge the decision of West Ham to move into the stadium, taking legal action if needs be.

“The rules of the Premier League, … say they will not grant consent for a club to move grounds if it would adversely affect clubs who have their registered ground in the immediate vicinity”, Hearn said.

Barry Hearn is concerned that West Ham’s move from their 35,000 seater Upton Park to the 60,000 Olympic Stadium could cause Leyton Orient to dissolve. The point being, that with so many new seats to fill, West Ham are likely to offer discounted and free tickets to try and encourage more people to come. The effect of this, in the long run, will be that kids who may have supported Leyton Orient will instead go on to support West Ham, and could bring about the downfall of Leyton Orient.

I can see where Hearn is coming from.

But I think, what Hearn is really worried about is the fact that West Ham are expanding, and not the fact that they are moving grounds. He is using their relocation as a pretence to argue over their expansion.

Let us imagine West Ham have knocked down their current stadium and are redeveloping Upton Park to a capacity of 60,000. They would be completely within their rights to do so. The long-term effect on Leyton Orient would be the same; West Ham would try to sell more tickets, targeting the younger people of the community and conceivably offering cheaper tickets to instigate new interest. But would that make it wrong for West Ham to redevelop? No.

In terms of geography, I think the potential effects are being overstated. Leyton Orient are based in the London borough of Waltham Forest. Upton Park is in the old London borough of West Ham. The Olympic Stadium is also in the old London borough of West Ham. So West Ham are just relocating to another site within their own ‘patch’.

At the moment they are about 3 miles from Brisbane Road. The Olympic Stadium is just 1 mile from Orient’s stadium. Is 2 miles going to make that much difference? No.

The fact is that Hearn doesn’t want West Ham to expand. He is playing the victim to try and prevent their expansion. The law on which he is going to argue was made after the Wimbledon to MK Dons fiasco. It intended to prevent the franchise system of American football taking hold of England, where the rights to a club can be bought and then the club relocated. It was not created so that a Premier League football club could not expand by moving up the road.

I sympathise with the Orient fans, but I do not trust Barry Hearn, and I don’t think he has a valid argument. You can stop a club form moving into your territory, but you can’t stop them from relocating within their own territory. In truth, the two have existed on the same ‘patch’ for years.

Hearn has even said he would be willing to go into negotiations with the Olympic committee over a potential move to the Olympic Hockey stadium. This is just 500 yards away from the Olympic Stadium! If he was really concerned about being in the shadow of West Ham, this would only make them problem worse.

Remembering that Hearn, chairman of Matchroom, already owns the ground at Brisbane Road, you have to ask, is he really worried about losing his fan base, or is he just worried about making money for a club that he owns so much of?

So, in response to the question, is the move going to affect Leyton Orient? The answer has to be yes. But, when you ask; are West ham really treading on the toes of Leyton Orient? The answer is no.

Barry Hearn is fighting a losing battle. It is the expansion of West Ham football club that Hearn really fears, not their moving to Stratford.

Liverpool are lining up a £9m summer swoop for Barcelona's Dutch midfielder Ibrahim Afellay, who is said to be frustrated at his lack of first-team action.
Caughtoffside.com

Manchester United are poised to make a £16m bid for Toulouse's French international Moussa Sissoko.
Caughtoffside.com

Newcastle tell AC Milan they will have to spend £12m to buy full-back Jose Enrique.
Goal.com

Manchester United will announce next week that defender Patrice Evra has signed a new three-year deal.
Daily Mail

Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp is confident that midfielder Gareth Bale can return in time for the Champions League return leg against AC Milan on 9 March.
Daily Express

Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs is set to retire at the same time as manager Sir Alex Ferguson after signing a new one-year deal with the club.
Metro

Chelsea's Frank Lampard says Spurs boss Harry Redknapp would make a "great" England manager.
Daily Telegraph

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says his FA Cup opponents Crawley Town are 'the best non-league side for years'.
Daily Telegraph
Last edited by cockney hammer on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damiant
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: saturday's gossip 19th feb includes west ham

Post by damiant »

cheers ch

will be good to see hitz on monday :thup:
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Cheers, CH.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

cheers ch

Lets hope Hitz comes through Monday unscathed.
jevs
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

ANDY CARROLL has targeted the trip to West Ham a week tomorrow for his Liverpool debut.

The England star had been pencilled in to make his bow in the clash against Manchester United on March 6.

The £35million striker, 22, has been sidelined with a torn thigh muscle since December.

He has been working hard on his rehabilitation, desperate to defy gloomy suggestions that he might not play again this season.

A friend told SunSport: "Andy is really pleased with how it's going.

"It is not impossible that he could play at Upton Park and he is now focusing on that game."

Reds manager Kenny Dalglish added: "He's a good lad, down to earth.

"You say the punters cannot relate to players and vice versa, but that's not a problem for him."
You just know what's coming doncha :( How many do you think he'll get against us....hatrick ? double hatrick ?
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers mate - much appreciated

:thup:
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Thanks CH.So Brady couldnt find any where warm to take the players? didnt want to spend the money more like !
Hugh Jargon (Old)
Location: The Isle of Lesbos, Cuba- Tottenham redondo corriente con el pene que cuelga fuera

Post by Hugh Jargon (Old) »

433- and a midfield of Parker, Noble and Hitzelnuggerburger

442 add- O'Neil looks decent enough?

Strikers look good...

Oh ****...the defence..Bugger. Pardon?
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Maybe if we played Parker,Noble and Hitzenburgerlurger in defence :?

Thanks CH and hammer fine work as always gentlemen...
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Thanks mate
jacko67

Post by jacko67 »

Cheers CH :thup:
GingerJohn

Post by GingerJohn »

hammerjohn wrote:Maybe if we played Parker,Noble and Hitzenburgerlurger in defence

Thanks CH and hammer fine work as always gentlemen...
Why not, we play spector in midfield :arry:

Cheers CH
JJB13

Post by JJB13 »

Brady: "This smacks of TK Maxx suing John Lewis for holding a sale."

:lol:

Sometimes I love that woman!

Cheers CH
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

has the sun got a closet intellectual as a picture editor? Manet's 'Olympia'

Mrs West Ham Olympic

a fearsome ball-breaking double act :lol:
good article this week

cheers CH!
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
Got to say i'm looking forward to seeing Fritz playing on monday.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Atletico Madrid are planning a shock summer move for Manchester City's homesick winger David Silva.
: Daily Mail

Manchester City are also bracing themselves for a move from Barcelona or Inter Milan for striker Carlos Tevez.
the Sun

Liverpool are lining up a £9m summer swoop for Barcelona's Dutch midfielder Ibrahim Afellay, who is said to be frustrated at his lack of first-team action.
caughtoffside.com

Manchester United are set to renew their interest in Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell and could bid £15m for the 19-year-old.
Daily Mail

United are also poised to make a £16m bid for Toulouse's French international Moussa Sissoko.
caughtoffside.com

Sao Paulo have slapped an astonishing £80m price tag on rising star Lucas in a bid to ward off interest from Manchester United and Real Madrid for the 18-year-old playmaker.
talksport.co.uk

Everton are preparing a move for Liverpool striker Nathan Eccleston in the summer.
Daily Mail

Newcastle have told AC Milan they will have to spend £12m to buy full-back Jose Enrique.
Goal.com

The Magpies, meanwhile, are planning a £6m swoop for Sevilla's Argentine midfielder Diego Perotti.
Daily Mail

Aston Villa are lining up a summer offer for Basel winger Xherdan Shaqiri - but will face stiff competition from across Europe for his signature.
talksport.co.uk

Striker Roque Santa Cruz is facing life back in Manchester City reserves next season as Blackburn are struggling to agree a fee to make his loan deal a permanent one.
Daily Mirror

Arsenal a targeting a £17m double Dutch summer raid for Ajax keeper Maarten Stekelenburg and his defensive team-mate Jan Vertonghen.
goal.com

Chelsea are said to be keeping tabs on Galatasaray midfielder/winger Arda Turan.
inside futbol

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has cast doubt over his Blues future by saying he would not "want to train a team that is not in the Champions League". His side are currently fifth in the Premier League table.
the Guardian

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger believes Arsenal can win the quadruple after their Champions League win over Barcelona.
Daily Mirror

Manchester United will announce next week that defender Patrice Evra has signed a new three-year deal.
Daily Mail

Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp is confident that midfielder Gareth Bale can return in time for the Champions League return leg against AC Milan on 9 March.
Daily Express

Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs is set to retire at the same time as manager Sir Alex Ferguson after signing a new one-year deal with the club.
Metro

Chelsea's Frank Lampard says Spurs boss Redknapp would make a "great" England manager.
Daily Telegraph

Manchester United boss Ferguson says his FA Cup opponents Crawley Town are "the best non-League side for years".
Daily Telegraph

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has revealed how young Gunners star Jack Wilshere was too nervous to ask for world player of the Metro

Crawley Town boss Steve Evans will present Manchester United manager Ferguson with a £250 bottle of wine ahead of their FA Cup clash at Old Trafford on Saturday.
Daily Mirror

One dedicated Crawley fan will travel 11,000 miles from New Zealand to Manchester to see his side in action in the FA Cup.
Daily Mirror

Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and Aston Villa are all tracking Real Madrid's Lassana Diarra, while Matthew Upson is ready to quit West Ham.
The Sun

* : Roberto Mancini insists his Manchester City players are fully behind him after rumours of a revolt.
* Arsenal and Holland are heading for a row over striker Robin van Persie who has been called up by his national side to face Turkey later this month despite not playing since August 28 due to an ankle injury.
* Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and Aston Villa are all tracking Real Madrid midfielder Lassana Diarra who is rated at around £10m
* Winger Adam Johnson is set to be offered a new deal by Manchester City reportedly worth £65,000 a week.

Daily Mirror

* : European champions Inter Milan could make a move for Tottenham's Gareth Bale after his recent displays against them in the Champions League.
* Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez is in line for a shock return against West Brom on Sunday after a thigh injury.
* Manchester United will watch Napoli target Marek Hamsik when the midfielder plays against Liverpool in the Europa League tonight at Anfield.
* Spurs are tracking French striker Nolan Roux and are considering making a cut-price £3m move.
* West Ham and England defender Matthew Upson is set to leave Upton Park on a free transfer at the end of the season after rejecting a new deal.
* Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has warned the club's new director of football strategy Damien Comolli that he will have final say on transfers and team selection.

Daily Express

* : Spurs boss Harry Redknapp insists Gareth Bale is not for sale at any price.
* Calls are growing for Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton to be picked by England.

Daily Mail

* : Liverpool and Aston Villa are battling it out to sign Preston's £4m-rated defender Sean St Ledger.
* Everton boss David Moyes is set to hand striker Jose Baxter a three-month loan stint at Scunthorpe to gain experience.
* Sheffield United manager Gary Speed is trying to sign Manchester United defender Ritchie De Laet on loan again after Blades captain Chris Morgan was ruled out for the rest of the season.

Daily Record

* : Striker Gary Hooper claims referees are biased against Celtic.

DAILY MAIL: Carlo Ancelotti insists he has the backing of his Chelsea players as the club enter 10 days that could define their season. Also: Manchester United's summer spending will be kicked off with a £15million bid for Everton teenager Jack Rodwell.

THE SUN: Manchester City are facing another battle to keep Carlos Tevez. Also: Ryan Giggs will celebrate 21 years as a Manchester United player by agreeing a new deal for next season.

DAILY TELEGRAPH: Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard is desperate to see his uncle Harry Redknapp become the next England manager. Also: Leading Premier League managers have joined the criticism of ticket prices for the Champions League final at Wembley.

DAILY EXPRESS: Crawley Town players have been ordered not to be tempted to have a special bet offered by a leading bookmaker involving their FA Cup fifth-round tie at Manchester United.

DAILY MIRROR: Arsene Wenger believes Arsenal can with the quadruple after their Champions League victory over Barcelona. Also: Sir Alex Ferguson has challenged Wayne Rooney to use his superb derby-winning overhead kick as the launch pad for a goalscoring spree.

DAILY STAR: Arsene Wenger yesterday insisted for the first time that Arsenal can pull off a sensational four-timer. Also: Crawley players have been caught up in a betting storm ahead of the biggest match of their lives.

THE TIMES: Sir Alex Ferguson believes that Crawley Town's run to the fifth round of the FA Cup has helped to preserve the competition's appeal.

THE INDEPENDENT: Carlo Ancelotti, the Chelsea manager, claimed yesterday that Didier Drogba remains part of the club's future, and not just a major figure in the recent past, following the £50m signing of Fernando Torres.

THE GUARDIAN: There mere fact that Crawley Town will take their place at Old Trafford today to play Manchester United should encapsulate the unifying soul of football, as nourished by the FA Cup.

United legend Giggs signs on for another year

Santa Cruz facing life back on City bench as Rovers struggle to agree a fee

Mowbray bringing Stoke defender back to Boro

Canaries to swipe Blackpool stopper from under Derby noses

Atletico Madrid are planning a shock summer move for homesick Manchester City star David Silva (Daily Mail)

Barcelona and Inter Milan are preparing summer bids for Carlos Tevez (The Sun)

Manchester United are set to bid £15m for Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell (Daily Mail)

Newcastle are planning a £6m swoop for Sevilla's Argentine midfielder Diego Perotti (Daily Mail)

Everton are preparing a summer move for Liverpool striker Nathan Eccleston (Daily Mail)

Newcastle are looking to take 17-year-old French striker Alister Tangane on trial next month (Daily Mail).

Barcelona will offer young midfielder Thiago Alcantara to Arsenal in an attempt to lower Cesc Fabregas ' transfer fee in the summer (Goal.com)

Inter Milan are planning to revamp their forward line with a summer swoop for Arsenal stars Robin van Persie and Andrey Arshavin according to reports in the Italian press (Goal.com)

Liverpool are lining up a £9m summer swoop for Barcelona midfielder Ibrahim Afellay (caughtoffside.com)

Manchester United are poised to make a £16m bid for Toulouse's French international Moussa Sissoko. (caughtoffside.com)

Sao Paulo want £80m for 18-year-old playmaker and Manchester United and Real Madrid target Lucas (talkSPORT)

Newcastle full-back Jose Enrique will cost AC Milan £12m (Goal.com)

Aston Villa want Basel winger Xherdan Shaqiri (talkSPORT)

Arsenal will spend £17m on Ajax keeper Maarten Stekelenburg and defender Jan Vertonghen (Goal.com)
Faubert's Boot
Total likes: 26 likes

Re: saturday's gossip 19th feb includes west ham updated

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Upson rejects another contract.. good can't wait for him to be out the club
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

cockney hammer wrote: * West Ham and England defender Matthew Upson is set to leave Upton Park on a free transfer at the end of the season after rejecting a new deal.
About time we stopped handing him the Captains armband then! :evil: