monday's gossip 21st feb includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

monday's gossip 21st feb includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Hammers ready to raise the Ba

AVRAM GRANT has warned Burnley they are going to suffer the best of Demba Ba tonight.

The 6ft 2in new West Ham signing announced himself with two goals against West Brom last week.

And Grant insists the former Hoffenheim striker is really revved up for the FA Cup.

He said: "Ba knows all about the FA Cup. He's followed it for a long time."

Grant's Portsmouth side twice played at Wembley last season.

And the Israeli - now Hammers chief - noticed that his foreign stars such as Ivorian Aruna Dindane turned in some sparkling performances in the cup, because of its reputation overseas.

Now Grant thinks French-born Senegal star Ba has been bewitched by FA Cup magic.

Grant added: "In other countries cups are not so important but here it's something which is connected to tradition.

"When I was at Portsmouth the players from other countries were even more excited just to be in the semi-final. They were so excited to go to Wembley - the temple of football."

And of the player he signed two weeks ago, Grant added: "He always scores, he is always moving and he hits the target.

"That is what you want from a striker."

the mirror

Ba has got the air of the Drog, claims Hammers boss

And the West Ham boss insisted the Senegal striker, who scored twice on his full debut last week, will only get better as he finds his form and full fitness in the English game.

Ba, 25, signed last month from Bundesliga side ­Hoffenheim after failing a medical at Stoke which reportedly found knee problems.

He hit a post after coming on as a sub against Birmingham before scoring twice at West Brom. And tonight the Senegal international will get his first taste of the FA Cup, against Burnley at Upton Park.

“He’s a very good player, perfect for the Premier League – big and powerful,” said Grant.

“He’s like Didier Drogba and I hope he will be as good for us. I followed him for a long time in the German league. He always scored, he is always moving.

“It’s very difficult to mark him and he hits the target. That is what you want from a striker. He can play anywhere – right, left, behind. He’s good and isn’t in the best shape yet because he had a break from December 21 and we are building him slowly, slowly.”

Grant reached the FA Cup final with Portsmouth last year and revealed Ba is also keen to leave his mark on the world’s oldest club competition.

“He knows all about the FA Cup,” said the Israeli. “I was in contact with him for a long time and he is a player interested in ­everything.

“Don’t think only people in England know about the FA Cup. After we got to the semi-final last year I got calls from everyone in the world. Everybody follows the FA Cup, more than any cup in the world. In other countries it’s not so important but here it is connected to tradition and everybody wants to be at Wembley.

“When I was at Portsmouth last year the players who came from other countries were even more excited just to be in the semi-final. They were so excited to go to Wembley, the temple of football. The word is connected to good things – apart from the grass.”

After a team-bonding session in Suffolk on Thursday where they tried clay-pigeon shooting, the Hammers will return to the happy hunting ground of the cup tonight.

In 27 Premier League matches this season, Grant’s team have won five. In nine cup matches – including the run to the Carling Cup semis – they have eight victories.

“I think we’re a bit more efficient in the cup competitions,” he said. “Also the football is different except the game against Manchester United of course. That was exceptional. It was a very good standard. In the league we’ve had some good games but we were not so efficient, unlike in the cup.

“I think the players know our situation in the league and feel they don’t deserve to be bottom. That’s why you saw the spirit in the second-half against West Brom and the game against ­Blackpool and I want to see this spirit in the next games.”

Although Robbie Keane is out for another month, Grant will be able to call on Thomas Hitzlsperger for the first time since the injury-dogged Germany midfielder signed last June. And after making four signings in January, the Hammers boss is facing the unusual selection dilemma of having too many players.

“I hope I have this headache all my life,” Grant joked. “Most of the games this season I had the headache that I didn’t have players because of so many injuries.

“Even against Blackpool, we were missing five or six. This is another kind of headache. It’s not easy but I like it more.”

the star

AVRAM GRANT: DEMBA BA IS BRILLANT

AVRAM Grant is convinced Demba Ba has what it takes to become West Ham’s Didier Drogba.

The Hammers certainly need a goal-machine, as they try to combine a relegation battle with an FA Cup run.

Robbie Keane and Victor Obinna are injured and Carlton Cole is struggling with a long-term knee problem.

But January addition Ba has netted twice in his two games so far and will look to add to that against Burnley tonight.

The FA Cup fifth round clash will be the first time Hammers fans will have seen him start.

And Grant reckoned the Senegal hitman, 25, would continue to impress after his double at West Brom last week.

He said: “Is he like Drogba? Yes. He is a very good player.

“I followed him for a long time in the German league. He always scored, he is always moving.

“He is very difficult to mark and he hits the target. That is the most important thing for a striker.

“And he can play anywhere – right, left, behind. He is not in the best shape yet and we are building him slowly.”

Ba was hot property in Germany for a while thanks to 37 goals in less than 100 games for Hoffenheim.

But a knee problem saw moves to Stuttgart and then Stoke collapse because of failed medicals.

That was fine as far as Grant was concerned as it meant West Ham could afford him.

He said: “I saw him but I didn’t think we could bring him in.

“His value was £15m, but because he has problems in his knee we could take him.

“For the first time an injury helped me!”

And Ba is delighted to be playing regular football again.

He said: “I have always said from the beginning, the only answer I can give is on the pitch.

“I am very happy. It has been a while since I started a game.”

Thomas Hitzlsperger will also make his long-awaited debut for the Hammers.

The German midfielder has spent six months on the sidelines, after picking up a thigh injury on international duty last August.

Meanwhile, Burnley centre-half Clarke Carlisle insists his side have what it takes to cause an upset at Upton Park.

The Championship side have enjoyed a new lease of life under new boss Eddie Howe.

And a confident Carlisle said: “There would be no point turning up to a game if you didn’t have the belief you could win.

“We are in good form at the minute and the squad is feeling confident. We have enough quality to cause any team problems.

“We just need to make sure we produce that quality on the day and are solid defensively.

“If that happens, we’ll be in with a fantastic shout.”

the mail

Blow for Hammers as skipper Upson is ruled out for rest of the season

West Ham captain Matthew Upson is out for the rest of the season with a damaged achilles.

The club have been told that the former England defender, who is out of contract in the summer, will play no further part in their battle for Premier League survival.

It leaves manager Avram Grant and defensive coach Wally Downes with limited options - Portuguese Manuel Da Costa, homegrown James Tomkins and New Zealand signing Winston Reid.

Upson, who is 31 and has been capped 21 times, limped off in the 1-0 home defeat to Birmingham 15 days ago when he played despite fears about his injury. The gamble backfired and the Hammers, who play Burnley in the fifth round of the FA Cup with a quarter-final visit to Stoke at stake, must continue without their most experienced defender.

Midfielder Scott Parker will be the skipper for the rest of the season.

While Grant has defensive problems, he is hoping January signing Demba Ba will turn out to be the new Didier Drogba up front.

The real Drogba may be finding life suddenly not what it used to be at Chelsea but Senegal international Ba, 25, has already made an impact since signing from German side Hoffenheim with two goals on his first start.

The teams: West Ham v Burnley

That was at West Bromwich last week, when a 3-0 half-time deficit was turned into a 3-3 draw, and Ba will look to continue that form at Upton Park.

Grant said: 'Is he like Drogba? Yes. He is a good player. I followed him for a long time in the German league. It is very difficult to mark him and he hits the target. He can play anywhere - right, left, behind. He's not in the best shape yet but we are building him slowly.'

Ba scored 37 goals in just under 100 games for Hoffenheim but a knee problem saw moves to Stuttgart and then Stoke collapse because of failed medicals.

Yet that was good news as far as Grant was concerned as it meant the player was now in West Ham's price bracket, with a £6million deal concluded with the Bundesliga side.

Grant said: 'His value was £15m but because he has knee problems we could take him. For the first time an injury helped me!'

Ba is delighted to be playing regularly again. He said: 'At the moment, I'm excited about every game we play.'

Ross Wallace, meanwhile, only has to think back to the day he got the silent treatment from Roy Keane to know how much West Ham will hurt if Burnley win. The Burnley winger played alongside Keane when Celtic were beaten 2-1 by Clyde in 2006.

'It's a horrible feeling when you get beaten by a lower league side,' said Wallace. 'I know from experience. Roy Keane made his debut and it was live on TV. He was really quiet afterwards. I'd rather have had him ranting as the really quiet ones are the worst.'

the mail

West Ham boss Grant fires warning to relegation rivals over debutant striker Ba

Avram Grant has warned West Ham's rivals that the best is yet to come from in-form striker Demba Ba.

Ba completed his move to Upton Park from Hoffenheim last month after walking out on the German side, with whom he enjoyed two-and-a-half prolific seasons.

Grant was reluctant to throw the 25-year-old straight into action as he had not played since December 18, but a calf injury to Robbie Keane meant he was handed his first start against West Brom last week.

The 6ft 2in striker did not disappoint, scoring twice to help the Hammers rescue a vital point in a six-goal thriller against their relegation rivals.

He also impressed during a brief substitute appearance against Birmingham the previous week and is likely to start alongside Carlton Cole in West Ham's FA Cup fifth-round clash against Burnley tomorrow night.

The Hammers have scored just 30 times in 27 matches this season but Grant thinks that Ba has the right attributes to make a big impact on the club's attempt to move out of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone.

'He is a very good player. I followed him for a long time in the German league,' Grant said.
Something to smile about: Grant will be hoping Ba can bring him some joy and fire the Hammers out of the relegation zone

Something to smile about: Grant will be hoping Ba can bring him some joy and fire the Hammers out of the relegation zone

'He always scored, he is always moving. It is very difficult to mark him and he hits the target. That is what you want from a striker.

'Those are the most important things for a striker - movement and being able to hit the target - and that is what he did against West Brom.

'I think they cleared off the line from him twice last week.

'He can play anywhere - right, left, behind. He is good and he is not in the best shape yet because he had a break from December 21 and we are building him slowly, slowly.'

Grant will be hoping to reach the quarter-finals of the FA Cup for the third time as a manager tomorrow when the Hammers take on Eddie Howe's npower Championship side.

The Israeli made the last eight with Chelsea in 2008 and reached the final last season with Portsmouth before losing 1-0 to the Blues.

On both occasions his squad included a number of foreign footballers, and he insists that they understand the history and traditions associated with the competition as much as the home-grown players who grew up watching the competition in Britain.

'Demba is aware of the importance of the FA Cup, he knows about it.'

'Don't think only people in England know about the FA Cup.

'After we got to the semi-final last year I got calls from everyone in the world - everybody follows the FA Cup, more than any cup in the world.

'In other countries, cup competitions are not so important but here it is connected to tradition and everybody wants to be at Wembley.

'When I was at Portsmouth last year the players who came from other countries were even more excited just to be in the semi-final.

'They were so excited to go to Wembley. Wembley is the temple of football,' added the Irons boss.

Grant is expected to field a strong side for tomorrow's match but admits a group of fringe players will get a chance to impress, mainly from the bench.

Benni McCarthy, who has been battling weight problems during a torrid 18-month spell at the club, had been tipped to start but he suffered a dead leg in a reserve match against Chelsea in midweek and could miss out.

Pacy 17-year-old striker Paul McCallum signed for West Ham from non-league Dulwich Hamlet on deadline day and has been tipped for greatness by Hammers co-chairman David Sullivan, who said his capture 'could be the signing of the (transfer) window.'

Grant admitted one 'very young' player could feature tomorrow.

When asked if he was thinking of playing McCallum, the 56-year-old replied: 'Maybe.'

the independet

Sam Wallace: The wrangle over the Olympic Stadium must not end up in the courts. This is what the FA is for

Talking Football: What Hearn surely wants is compensation. He knows that if he complains enough, Orient might get a deal over the Olympic Stadium from West Ham

On Friday afternoon, a group of us tried to explain to Arsène Wenger the squabbling and turf war behind the dispute that Leyton Orient have with West Ham United over the latter's future occupancy of the Olympic Stadium.

"But it would have been the same problem with Tottenham, no?" Wenger said, bemused. "What do Leyton Orient want? Do they want the stadium as well?"

"No, they just don't want West Ham to have it," someone replied.
Related articles

Wenger contemplated another of English football's uniquely intractable problems, one connecting history, politics, tradition and, of course, money. He has seen a few in his time. He laughed. "I can't sort out that problem as well."

Only in England could we spend £547m of public money on a brand-new stadium and then, in the process of trying to gift it to a football club, descend into a bitter row that has found its endgame in what poor old Leyton Orient claim is their potential ruin. Orient, who drew with Arsenal in the FA Cup fifth round yesterday, deserve to be heard and – if necessary – protected. But solving this problem is not easy.

West Ham are not simply the bad guys. They want to fill their new 60,000-capacity home when they move in and they recognise it might take discounted tickets to do that as well as all sorts of initiatives that Barry Hearn, the chairman of Orient, fears will mean an apocalyptic future for his League One club situated due east of the Olympic site.

So what does Hearn want? He said he would have preferred Tottenham Hotspur at the Olympic Stadium because they would have been less of a threat than West Ham, but that argument does not quite add up. Spurs on Orient's doorstep, especially playing Champions League football, would potentially be just as much of a drain on Orient's fan base as West Ham offering discounts to watch their less glamorous fare.

What Hearn surely wants is compensation. He knows that he cannot fight the political imperative to have a major tenant in the Olympic Stadium and neither is he powerful enough to block a bigger club when it has the chance to move into a ready-built ground. He knows that if he complains enough, Orient might get a deal from West Ham.

What Hearn must be angling for is some kind of financial recompense calculated on God-knows-what basis. Perhaps some agreement based on a percentage of West Ham's earnings from the stadium over a certain level. But it is complicated. West Ham will point to proposals a couple of years ago that Orient might relocate to Harlow in Essex as evidence that their location is not as important to them as they now argue.

It is at this point that we search around for a respected, even-handed, independent governing body that all parties would have confidence in to come to a fair decision. The last thing English football wants is for this one to end up in the courts, especially when the Government has got its claws into the game's governance.

So the question is: has the Football Association got the courage to step in? It cannot be the Premier League which makes the decision because Orient have no stake in that body. The same goes for the Football League with West Ham (although that might change by the end of the season). As for the Government, it really should have more important things to do.

The case of Orient, West Ham and the Olympic Stadium would be an ideal opportunity for the new FA chairman, David Bernstein, to step forward and solve a complex problem. Will it be easy? No. But if the FA aspires to be a force on the tricky major issues of the modern game then negotiating a settlement on this issue would be a start.

It was noticeable that of all the bodies to which Hearn said he will write this week – the Premier League, the Government, the Prime Minister and the Mayor of London's office – as he went nuclear on his publicity about the possible effects of West Ham moving into Orient's zone of influence, he did not mention the FA. That should tell the governing body something.

It should tell it that on these difficult judgement calls which encompass interests right through professional football's hierarchy, when politics are involved too, it is not perceived as having the final say. The more the FA fails to step in to resolve these kinds of problem, the less relevant it will be to the professional side of the game.

It was an FA-appointed independent commission that gave permission in 2002 for Wimbledon to move to Milton Keynes. Since then the Premier League has introduced a rule of its own (Section I, Rule 6 in the handbook) to prevent clubs "adversely" affecting rivals, including those in the Football League, by moving grounds. But that rule, much quoted last week as if it was Hearn's trump card, is just one of six elements to that section and therefore only one part of any consideration.

Either way, West Ham are moving to the Olympic Stadium barring a monumental change of heart by the Government. The question now is: what can be done for Hearn and Orient?

In England's capital city, where professional clubs are thick on the ground, it is not inconceivable that another London club may wish to move soon. What price Chelsea moving closer to Queen's Park Rangers? Or Tottenham moving closer to Barnet, or even Stevenage? It is not reasonable to insist that clubs should always stay in the same place as they search for bigger, more profitable stadiums.

This requires governance, difficult choices made clearly and compensation awarded accordingly. Telling people what to do is not always easy – and it will not make you popular with everyone – but that is surely what the FA is there for.

the independent

Grant backs prolific Ba to rescue West Ham's season

Avram Grant has warned West Ham United's rivals that the best is yet to come from Demba Ba. Ba completed his move to Upton Park from Hoffenheim last month after walking out on the German side, with whom he enjoyed two and a half prolific seasons.

Grant was reluctant to throw the 25-year-old straight into action as he had not played since 18 December, but a calf injury to Robbie Keane meant he was handed his first start against West Bromwich last week.

The 6ft 2in striker did not disappoint, scoring twice to help the Hammers rescue a vital point in a six-goal thriller against their relegation rivals. He is likely to start alongside Carlton Cole in West Ham's FA Cup fifth-round clash against Burnley tonight.

But while Ba offers West Ham options in attack, there are mounting problems in defence as it was last night reported that captain Matthew Upson is out for the rest of the season with a damaged achilles. The centre-half was withdrawn at half-time against Birmingham on 6 February, and that could represent his last action for the club as he is out of contract in the summer.

The Hammers have scored just 30 times in 27 matches this season but Grant thinks Ba has the right attributes to make a big impact on the club's attempt to move out of the Premier League relegation zone.

"He is a very good player. I followed him for a long time in the German league," Grant said. "He always scored, he is always moving. It is very difficult to mark him and he hits the target. That is what you want from a striker. Those are the most important things for a striker – movement and being able to hit the target – and that is what he did against West Brom.

"I think they cleared off the line from him twice last week. He can play anywhere – right, left, behind. He is good and he is not in the best shape yet because he had a break from 21 December and we are building him slowly, slowly."

Grant will be hoping to reach the quarter-finals of the FA Cup for the third time as a manager tonight when the Hammers take on Eddie Howe's Championship side.

west ham ti'll i die

Parish Notice

I thought I would follow up on some of the points made in the previous post by S J Chandos. Let me say from the outset that I support what he wrote. He did it off his own bat, but it needed to be said. He’s right, in recent months I have several times thought about closing down this blog. I stopped my political blog in December for a number of reasons, but one of the reasons was that I didn’t enjoy doing it anymore. Running two blogs over the last five years has by definition meant that I have incurred a lot of criticism. People who stick their heads above the parapet always do. I don’t mind criticism when it is constructive but when it gets personal and downright nasty, that’s when I draw a line. A commenter in the previous thread called SJ “psychotic”. Is that really the sort of thing he, or I, should have to put up with? I try to keep things civilised on here by banning swearing. By and large people respect that, but there is a small group of people who seem intent on spoiling it for others. This site has had more than 40,000 individual visitors in the last month – that’s 33% up on last year. So I take comfort that 99% of people who visit the site like what they see and keep returning. The small number of people who abuse the commenting faciity are just that – a very small minority.

The whole point of a blog llike this is for different people to give their views – to react to what SJ, Robert Banks and I write. I welcome genuine debate. What I don’t welcome is personal abuse. I brought S J and Robert on board to provide different perspectives to mine, and also because my working life means that I am not able to post as often as I would wish to. I’m the only one who polices comments, and I can’t do that 24 hours a day. I can’t pick up on every unacceptable comment someone makes. So I reply on an element of self policing. But it’s time the silent majority made itself heard. If you haven’t commented before, do so. Help keep this the best, calmest and most considered West Ham forum on the net.

I don’t take kindly to people questioning my own motives for this blog. I started it back in 2006, after a particularly poor home performance – against Fulham if I remember correctly. I wanted a platform to give my views. I had no ambitions for the blog. I didn’t expect it to become as big as it has. I’m not a club insider. I have no wish to be. I am not a star f****r. I have never met the two Davids. I have exchanged about ten words with Karren Brady. I’ve never met a single member of the playing squad. And yet from the way some people write, I’m in their pockets and follow their line hook, line and sinker. People have very short memories. I’ve been highly critical of the owners’ approach, yet because I support the move to the Olympic stadium, people seem to think they have the right to question my motives. Wrong.

I run a successful publishing company. I present a much praised radio show every weeknight on LBC. I do two full time jobs. I work from 9am to 10pm, five days of the week. Frankly I don’t need the hassle that I sometimes get from this blog. I do it in my free time as a labour of love because I know thousands of you value it. And I will continue to do so.

I don’t intend to change the way this blog works, except for one thing. If I ever see a debate becoming too aggressive and angry, I will close down the comments on that thread, or delete comments I consider to be unacceptable without any explanation.

S J and I would like to thank all of you who from time to time get in touch privately to say how much you enjoy the blog. It means a lot. We all have one thing in common. We all love our club. And we should remember that at times when the temperature gets too high. With the way things have been going it is not surprising that tempers get frayed from time to time, but let’s try to keep it at a minimum. OK?

All the best

Iain
Halfwhere
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: monday's gossip 21st feb includes west ham

Post by Halfwhere »

Upson out rest of the season aint good Headbanger
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers CH.

So that's the last we'll see of Upson, if he is going on a free in the summer?
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Barcelona are refusing to give up hope of signing Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas and believe they can land him with a £38m bid.
Full story: Daily Mirror

However, the London club are looking to the future and are weighing up offers for Swedish teenagers Kristoffer Olsson, 15, and Robert Mirosavic, 16, after a successful second trial at the Emirates. Midfielder Olsson plays for IFK Norrkoping, while striker Mirosavic has been offered a youth contract by Helsingborg.
Full story: Daily Mail

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish ran the rule over Celtic left-back Emilio Izaguirre during the Old Firm derby against Rangers on Sunday.

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish is ready to sign United States international midfielder Alejandro Bedoya from Swedish side Orebro and is flying him in for talks this week.

OTHER GOSSIP

Chelsea's under-pressure manager Carlo Ancelotti is set to be offered an escape route from Stamford Bridge by Roma after Claudio Ranieri resigned as boss of the Serie A side on Sunday.

Ancelotti, whose out-of-form Blues side went out of the FA Cup at the hands of Everton at the weekend, has come in for criticism but insists he will not quit the Stamford Bridge club.
Full story: the Guardian

However, Ancelotti may have the decision made for him, depending on his side's result against Copenhagen in the first leg of the last-16 Champions League tie on Tuesday.
Full story: the Independent

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was so furious that his side found it difficult to beat non-League Crawley in the FA Cup that he is ready to ship out Bebe and Gabriel Obertan at the end of the season.
Full story: Daily Star

Marseille manager Didier Deschamps says he was asked by Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish to take over the Reds in the summer before Roy Hodgson was appointed but could not take the job and go back on his word to stay at the French club.
Full story: the Sun

West Ham captain Matthew Upson is set to miss the rest of the season because of a damaged Achilles tendon.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp wants to reward injury-prone defender Jonathan Woodgate with a new contract in the summer.

Rangers boss Walter Smith says his side's performance in the 3-0 defeat by Old Firm rivals Celtic was the worst of his second spell in charge of the club. (Daily Record)

AND FINALLY

Everton's cricket-loving captain Phil Neville says he should have done the Sprinkler dance - made famous earlier this winter by England's Ashes-winning team - after his penalty knocked Chelsea out of the FA Cup.

Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt insists the team's resurgence is down to him taking over the dressing room DJ duties. (the Sun)

Not content with reporting the very important news that a famous actress went on holidays to the Caribbean, a slightly less famous actress went shopping in Manchester, and a singer in a well known girlband has dyed her hair, today's Daily Mail somehow made room for the considerably less important revelation that, in the wake of Claudio Ranieri's latest exit, Roma are about to offer their vacant manager's job to Carlo Ancelotti and report "it is believed he will take it seriously".

Ranieri, known as the Tinkerman due to his penchant for fiddling with tactical formations rather than any predilection he might have for an itinerant existence spent mending pots and pans, is himself a former Chelsea manager, a description that's looks increasingly likely to appear on his compatriot Ancelotti's CV come season's end. The London club's form lurched from bad to worse with their elimination from the FA Cup by Everton over the weekend and success in the Champions League is now their only vaguely realistic chance of winning silverware, despite the smart money suggesting they'll struggle to make it past FC Copenhagen.

With Roman Abramovich believed to be mightily unimpressed with the form of his team and developing an itch in his trigger-finger, Ancelotti is almost certain to at least consider any overtures from Roma, although leaving Chelsea of his own accord would presumably cost him the customary multimillion pound pay-out with which football managers are rewarded for failure.

In other high profile managerial merry-go-round news, Tottenham Hotspur will replace Harry Redknapp with Everton manager David Moyes if their manager is convicted of tax evasion this summer. Redknapp denies allegations that former Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric paid him £189,000 via an offshore bank account during his spell at Fratton Park, but efforts by his solicitors to get the charges dropped ended in failure and he'll have to stand trial. In the event of getting convicted, Harry could get sent down for a spell in the Big House, where it's not difficult to imagine him becoming one of those guys that "knows how to get things".

Arsenal will attempt to bring Ajax duo Jan Vertongen and Maarten Stekelenburg to the Emirates this summer, according to a Goal.com exclusive. Vertongen, a Belgian centre-back reported to be good buddies with his compatriot Thomas Vermaelen, is also being targeted by AC Milan, while Manchester United have made no secret of their interest in Holland goalkeeper Stekelenburg.

Like the nasty repetitive strain injury the Rumour Mill has developed from having to regurgitate the same will-he-won't-he nonsense about the same player, day after day after day after day, for more months and years than we care to remember, those Cesc Fábregas-to-Barcelona rumours just won't go away. Today's Mirror reports that an unnamed Nou Camp "insider" has told them "we still want him and we think he still wants to come back to us, if we bid €45m (£38m) then we will be able to sign him." If he doesn't go this summer, that hunched, disconsolate figure you see shuffling off towards the woods with a bottle of brandy in one hand and a revolver in the other will be the Rumour Mill. Of course even if Fabregas does leave the Emirates, the Mail reports that Arsenal are "weighing up" offers for Swedish teenagers Kristoffer Olsson, 15, and Robert Mirosavic, 16, who have both impressed on trial and could well have a future as big money Barca targets of the future.

With a left-back berth that needs to be filled as a matter of urgency, Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish was in Glasgow yesterday to run the rule over Celtic's Honduras international Emilio Izaguirre, according to IM Scouting. Dalglish will almost certainly have been impressed with what he saw - the 24-year-old has been a revelation since signing for Celtic in August and was outstanding in both defence and attack throughout yesterday's entertaining Old Firm derby. Of course, while the Rumour Mill is prepared to concede the usual caveats that Rangers were appalling and he's only been playing in the SPL, Izaguirre looks the kind of prospect who could conceivably cut the mustard on - whisper it - a cold night in Stoke.

And finally, Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish is wistfully pining for an American central midfielder and "may fly" Alejandro Bedoya, a midfielder with Swedish side Örebro "in for talks this week". Raised in Miami and currently residing in Sweden, it would be nice for Bedoya to finally settle in a more glamourous locale.

iverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has checked on Celtic left-back Emilio Izaguirre, while West Brom are tracking Leeds midfielder Bradley Johnson.
.Carlo Ancelotti last night insisted "I will not quit" as his Chelsea future hung in the balance.
Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp wants to give Jonathan Woodgate a new deal in the summer.
Didier Deschamps has revealed he turned down the Liverpool job because he was committed to Marseille.
Micky Adams has told Jamie Ward he will never play for Sheffield United again.
QPR are set to sign 20-year-old Harrow Borough striker Troy Hewitt, who scored twice for Rangers in a friendly against Crystal Palace.
Brentford are close to naming caretaker manager Nicky Forster as their new boss.
..Barcelona are refusing to give up hope on Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas - and believe they can land him with a £38million offer.
Birmingham boss Alex McLeish is ready to sign US midfielder Alejandro Bedoya from Swedish club Orebro.
Carlo Ancelotti admitted last night that only three of his star players are justifying their reputations.
Harry Redknapp wants to reward Jonathan Woodgate with a new deal in the summer.
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish made a dash to watch Celtic's brilliant left-back Emilio Izaguirre in Sunday's Old Firm clash. The Honduras defender is also thought to be on Manchester United's wanted list.
..Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is to be offered an escape route from Stamford Bridge by Roma, after Claudio Ranieri resigned last night.
West Ham captain Matthew Upson has been ruled out for the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.
Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish ran the rule over Celtic left-back Emilio Izaguirre yesterday.
Arsenal are considering making offers for Swedish teenagers Kristoffer Olsson and Robert Mirosavic.
Aston Villa full-back Habib Beye has turned down a loan move to Ipswich.
Birmingham have handed Orebro SK's Alejandro Bedoya a week-long trial.
West Brom teachnical director Dan Ashworth checked on Leeds midfielder Bradley Johnson on Saturday as the Baggies prepare a summer bid.
..Jose Mourinho has told close friends there is a job waiting for him back in English football next season.
Carlo Ancelotti claims only three Chelsea stars are doing enough to save the club's season.
Sir Alex Ferguson is set to wield the axe on Manchester United flops Bebe and Gabriel Obertan.
..Roberto Mancini last night dismissed Mario Balotelli's latest strop as Manchester City cruised into the fifth round of the FA Cup.
Carlo Ancelotti last night admitted only three of his Chelsea superstars are playing anywhere near their best.
..Neil Lennon watched Celtic rip Rangers apart to go eight points clear at the top and then insisted: "We're in charge now."
..A defiant Carlo Ancelotti has refused to countenance the possibility of his ailing Chelsea side enduring Champions League humiliation to FC Copenhagen.
..Carlo Ancelotti has admitted that Chelsea's season and possibly his own fate hinges on the outcome of their Champions League clash with FC Copenhagen.
..Arsen Wenger expressed his concern last night at the fixture congestion that is threatening Arsenal's quest for glory on four fronts after their FA Cup fifth-round tie against Leyton Orient ended with a spectacular late goal from a French striker he had never heard of.
..Carlo Ancelotti flies to Copenhagen this morning with his Chelsea squad in the knowledge that defeat in Denmark could convince the club's owner, Roman Abramovich, to change his manager before the end of the season.

THE SUN: Leyton Orient's FA Cup heroes were singing Viva Las Vegas after Jonathan Tehoue earned a money-spinning replay at Arsenal....Carlo Ancelotti last night insisted "I will not quit" as his Chelsea future hung in the balance...Shoppers cheered Steve Evans just hours after Crawley's brave Cup exit...Sergio Torres revealed he will frame the turf he pinched from Old Trafford.

DAILY STAR: Arsenal were cut down to size by an overweight unknown yesterday...Carlo Ancelotti claims only three Chelsea stars are doing enough to save the club's season...Sir Alex Ferguson is set to wield the axe on Manchester United flops Bebe and Gabriel Obertan.

DAILY MIRROR: Arsene Wenger admitted he had never heard of Leyton Orient's last action hero Jonathan Tehoue...Manchester City midfielder Patrick Vieira kept his love affair with the FA Cup alive yesterday...Carlo Ancelotti admitted last night that only three of his star players are justifying their reputations.

DAILY EXPRESS: Roberto Mancini last night dismissed Mario Balotelli's latest strop as Manchester City cruised into the fifth round of the FA Cup...Jonathan Tehoue was Leyton Orient's roly-poly FA Cup hero last night as he struck the goal that frustrated Arsenal and kept alive dreams of a quarter-final trip to Manchester United...Carlo Ancelotti last night admitted only three of his Chelsea superstars are playing anywhere near their best.

DAILY MAIL: Leyton Orient celebrated a heroic FA Cup draw yesterday - thanks to a goal from an overweight "supersub" Arsene Wenger admitted he had never even heard of...Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is to be offered an escape route from Stamford Bridge by Roma, after Claudio Ranieri resigned last night.

THE GUARDIAN: A defiant Carlo Ancelotti has refused to countenance the possibility of his ailing Chelsea side enduring Champions League humiliation to FC Copenhagen tomorrow...Barry Hearn will reward his Leyton Orient players for earning a lucrative FA Cup replay with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium by taking them on holiday to Las Vegas at the end of the season.

DAILY TELEGRAPH: Long live the Cup and Viva Las Vegas. Having promised his players a trip to Sin City if they somehow avoided defeat against Arsenal, Leyton Orient chairman Barry Hearn was greeted with a cheeky blast of Elvis Presley on entering the jubilant dressing room...Carlo Ancelotti has admitted that Chelsea's season and possibly his own fate hinges on the outcome of their Champions League clash with FC Copenhagen.

THE TIMES: Arsene Wenger expressed his concern last night at the fixture congestion that is threatening Arsenal's quest for glory on four fronts after their FA Cup fifth-round tie against Leyton Orient ended with a spectacular late goal from a French striker he had never heard of.

THE INDEPENDENT: Carlo Ancelotti flies to Copenhagen this morning with his Chelsea squad in the knowledge that defeat in Denmark could convince the club's owner, Roman Abramovich, to change his manager before the end of the season.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

thanks CH
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Thank you gentlemen....always much appreciated :thup:
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Many Thanks CH ... :thup:
hammer no#1 gets the vote today...
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Had your work cut out today! Cheers CH!
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

"Nightmare on Green Street" - West Ham fans, currently on Eggheads. :)
Xander
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Xander »

Cheers again CH :thup:

I'm ignoring the defence but that's a pretty decent front line

nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Cheers CH and Hammer and hammer BOTD #1 :thup: