friday's gossip 25th feb includes west ham updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

friday's gossip 25th feb includes west ham updated

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

All Ba none

DEMBA BA has gone the long way round from Watford to West Ham.

The Hornets were just one of six clubs to have rejected the Hammers' impressive new striker who is driven to make it in the Premier League.

Ba, 25, said: "I had a good time at Watford, that was why I wanted to come back.

"That was my first taste of English football and it has stuck in my head ever since."

Senegal international Ba has scored two goals in two starts and leads the forward line for Avram Grant at home to Liverpool on Sunday.

It marks the end of a huge road trip for the determined £6million hitman who has been turned down more times than your duvet at home.

Barnsley, Swansea, Stoke, Auxerre and Lyon all declined his services.

But now he gets his big chance in the middle of a relegation battle.

Paris-born Ba, who trekked around Europe's football outposts from the ages of 16-20, added: "I was rejected from Watford and then a few years later I'm playing against Liverpool in the Premier League. It feels good.

"When I want something I will do everything I can to have it. And that doesn't just go for football - that goes for my life.

"I was brought up to have respect for each person you meet in life.

"I know if I don't fight I'm not going to make it because people are not going to give it to me.

"And the best place for me to show the fight is on the football pitch.

the mirror

Lomas returns to West Ham as reserves manager

Steve Lomas is heading back to West Ham – as reserve team boss.

The former Hammers skipper beat several other ex-players to the prestige post following a spell in charge at non-League St Neots Town.

Lomas, 37, left Upton Park in 2005 and jumped at the chance of a comeback.

welcome home shaggy :thup:

the mail

Demba Ba: Pressure to stay up? I don't feel it after my troubles

Sitting next to him at the club's training ground, it was not difficult to see why Demba Ba has been heralded as the man who can save West Ham from relegation.

At 6ft 3in and built like a tank, the Paris-born Senegalese striker has the physical attributes to deal with the bruising nature of Barclays Premier League football.

Avram Grant has likened Ba to Didier Drogba. He is strong, powerful and quick with a knack of hitting the back of the net. Two goals on his first West Ham start against West Bromwich Albion earlier this month backed up the manager's claims.

'Am I the new Didier Drogba? No. I'm Demba Ba!' he says. 'I'm not somebody else. I have so much respect for Drogba. For me he is like an idol. I love Drogba, I love the way he is on the pitch. It was the same with Thierry Henry at Arsenal.

'But I'm not looking at them when I'm playing, I just want to be Demba Ba - nobody else.'

Confident words for someone who is three games into his career in England. But speaking to the 25-year-old, you sense that he always knew the Premier League was his destiny.

To say he was relaxed is an understatement. Dressed in trendy jeans and a chunky knitted jumper, you would not have known Ba was the man Hammers fans were pinning their survival hopes on.

But once you discover the struggles behind his quest to make the grade as a professional, you understand why maybe, just maybe, West Ham have found a striker with the bottle to drag them out of trouble.

The sinking feeling of rejection was something Ba had become accustomed to as a teenager. He was told 'Thanks, but no thanks' after trials with Watford, Barnsley, Swansea, Lyon and Auxerre.

He finally got his big break with French fourth division side FC Rouen, where 22 goals in 26 games earned him a move to Belgian side Mouscron before German club Hoffenheim paid €2.75million (£1.26m) for him in 2007.

'If there is pressure on me to keep West Ham up then I don't feel it because at the end of the day, football is a game,' explains Ba. 'There are far worse things in life than fighting relegation. There was more pressure on me when I was looking for a club.

'I didn't know where my life was going, that was real pressure. I've had so many trials in the past that didn't work out but I still wanted to make it as a footballer.

'I was between 16 and 19 at the time, but for me it wasn't tough. Many people maybe couldn't handle it but if you want something you have to go and get it.

'I don't fear rejection, I know what I'm able to do and knew if I didn't fight, I wouldn't make it. People were not going to give it to me for free.'

But Ba's dream of Premier League football so nearly did not happen. Hoffenheim's refusal to sanction his departure in January led to him going on strike to force through a move.
Enlarge Demba Ba factfile

It worked and he insists he has no regrets, saying: 'People don't know what happened in January. All I can say is I made my choice that I wanted to go. I had the chance to come to England but again it was difficult. When people don't give you respect, why should you still work with them?'

Instead of playing against Liverpool on Sunday, Ba could easily have been lining up for Stoke against West Bromwich a day later.

Playing for Mouscron against SV Roeselare in 2006, Ba turned sharply and injured his left knee, leaving him with a problem that has plagued his career.

He missed the end of last season with Hoffenheim when the injury flared up and a £7.1m move to Stoke collapsed last month after a medical flagged up the problem.

Sportsmail understands West Ham only agreed to sign Ba after structuring a deal that will see the Hammers pay Hoffenheim based on the number of games he plays. The very mention of a problematic knee was the trigger for Ba, just for a moment, to depart from his cool exterior.

He insisted: 'I don't know why we are still talking about it. The knee is fine. I had surgery and the rehab didn't go as well as it should. So it's completely normal the knee isn't 100 per cent. But I can play football, I know how to manage it.'

But now he has fulfilled his Premier League dream could he stick it out with the Hammers in the Championship? His answer was far from convincing.

'We have to look at the next couple of weeks before looking at the next couple of years,' he said. 'I'm not thinking about relegation. I'm only thinking about winning games.'

the mail

How I was nailed by the Hammer! Thomas Hitzlsperger, the new enforcer in West Ham's midfield

I remember Thomas Hitzlsperger from a mark he left on the top of my right foot during a routine Liverpool training session one afternoon.

He was late, very late. I can recall cursing him and swearing in his direction. He was a young teenager on trial, eager to please, and he had made an impact initially because he kept the ball - a useful skill for a midfielder.

He had been invited to join the first team and I remember his close control, his neat passing and, of course, his screamer of a shot with his left foot.
Hammer time: Hitzlsperger opened his account for West Ham, with a stunning long-range strike against Burnley in the FA Cup

Hammer time: Hitzlsperger opened his account for West Ham, with a stunning long-range strike against Burnley in the FA Cup

They are qualities that have since earned him 52 caps for Germany, the armband of the national team and the nickname 'Der Hammer'.

He will be well liked at Upton Park and a good partner for Scott Parker. Having missed the season up until now, his long-range goal against Burnley in the FA Cup announced his arrival in the first team and it will feel like a new signing for Avram Grant.

I know how much Avram was excited by the signing of Hitzlsperger from Lazio in the summer and how much West Ham have missed him, following an injury collected on international duty in pre-season.

I've followed his career since that tackle on me, especially at Aston Villa, when he scored some excellent long-range goals.

West Ham were busy in the transfer window and not everything has gone their way with the injuries to Robbie Keane and Matthew Upson.

But Hitzlsperger is some good news, along with Demba Ba. Both urgently need to make an impact if West Ham are to escape.

the mail

West Ham threaten to sue the FA over Ashton compensation bill

West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan has warned the Football Association he is ready to launch legal action in the bitter fight for compensation over retired striker Dean Ashton.

Ashton‘s career was cut short in December 2009 during what should have been his prime at 26 after the one-time England star was forced to concede defeat in his long-standing battle with an ankle injury.

The problem was picked up on international duty in August 2006 during a training ground incident with Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Although Ashton returned from a long absence and eventually made his England debut in 2008 against Trinidad & Tobago, he never fully recovered from the knock.

The former Norwich forward, West Ham’s record signing when he arrived from Carrow Road in 2006, recently settled a private compensation claim with the FA over the matter.

But West Ham are yet to receive anything since the player’s retirement and Sullivan has now warned he is ready to pursue the matter in the courts.

‘We will have to issue a writ shortly, but it’s the last thing I want to do because I don’t believe people in football should be suing each other,’ Sullivan told The Guardian.

‘For West Ham to get nothing is appalling. Years after the injury and several years after the retirement, they have never offered us a penny. That can’t be right.’

Accusing the FA of not honouring their commitments, Sullivan added: ‘You would think the FA would be honourable and say we accept that he retired as a result of the injury he got training with England.

‘He battled on and played games subsequently but was never the same and, ultimately, the ankle broke down. It’s poor of the FA not to honour their commitments.

‘Their insurance company are trying to argue that because he played 30 games after the injury, even though he retired as a result of the injury, they’re not liable.

’But it’s not like he retired because of anything else other than the ankle, which was smashed to bits because of [Shaun] Wright-Phillips.

‘It was an accident and these things happen, but the FA should pick up the bill.’

the mail

The Firing Line: 'Av that! Avram Grant stumbles upon winning formula in Thomas Hitzlsperger

In one of the rare moments so far this season, West Ham’s win over Burnley on Monday night brought an unfamiliar sight in bringing a smile or two from Avram Grant.

A 5-1 win should be enough to make any winning manager show some positive emotion, but one suspects Grant was grinning for different reasons.

Thomas Hitzlsperger was signed last summer and after spending the whole season injured made an instant impact in the FA Cup match, scoring once and setting up another.

Grant has had to wait a long time to unleash his secret weapon but the German could be the key man to help steer the Hammers away from relegation trouble.

Elsewhere, old habits die hard for Roy Hodgson who after an unconvincing spell at Liverpool in the first-half of the season has carried on where he left off at West Brom.

Loan signing Carlos Vela bailed him out against Wolves but he does not have a lot of time to turn things around.

Each week we bring you our latest chart of the managers under pressure, and those on Easy Street.

Here’s Sportsmail’s sack-race rankings - otherwise known as the Firing Line.

Avram Grant
West Ham - Avram Grant

Has done well in the cups but it’s the Premier League that is the bread and butter stuff. Liverpool at home next will test whether it’s all just cup fever at Upton Park. NON-MOVER

Alex McLeish
Birmingham City - Alex McLeish

The Carling Cup final could be a double-edged sword for McLeish. A win will finally get him into the owners good books, defeat and they might send him to the stocks. NON-MOVER

Wigan Athletic's manager Roberto Martinez
Wigan - Roberto Martinez

No easy return to action with Manchester United next. The Red Devils have won all 12 meetings between the sides but the law of averages has to kick in Wigan's favour at some point. NON-MOVER

MICK McCARTHY
Wolves - Mick McCarthy

Needs to get a positive reaction from his team after conceding a late equaliser at West Brom. It may just prove to be the pivotal moment in Wolves’ battle against the drop. NON-MOVER

Carlo Ancelotti
Chelsea - Carlo Ancelotti

Defeat to Manchester United on Tuesday and in reality it’s just the Champions League left. But as long as they stay in Europe, Ancelotti remains in Roman Abramovich’s good books. UP ONE

Houllier
Aston Villa - Gerard Houllier

Villa have stuttered in recent weeks and have not won in the Premier League for a month. They are still in danger of getting relegated and Houllier is not quite out of the woods yet. DOWN ONE
Steve Kean
Blackburn - Steve Kean

The achilles heel of Kean’s reign so far has been form on the road. Rovers have lost all their away games in 2011 and it’s putting too much pressure on them to deliver at Ewood Park. NON- MOVER
Steve Bruce
Sunderland - Steve Bruce

Spotted on a beach in Barbados at the weekend. Judging by his team’s record of three straight defeats, they have been there for a good few weeks. Everton away next. NON-MOVER
Roberto Mancini
Man City - Roberto Mancini

In reality the treble is still on for Roberto Mancini. City are progressing nicely in the cups and despite the recent derby defeat cannot be ruled out of the Premier League. NON-MOVER
Mark Hughes
Fulham - Mark Hughes

All that good work done beating Tottenham in the FA Cup was wasted after crashing out against Bolton the following round. Time to focus on securing Premier League survival. NON-MOVER

Newcastle: Alan Pardew
Newcastle - Alan Pardew

Probably disappointed with the break last weekend after some cracking recent performances against Arsenal and Birmingham. Will hope his side have lost no momentum. UP ONE

David Moyes
Everton - David Moyes

The Toffees have not had much to shout about this season, but the dramatic win over Chelsea in the FA Cup shows that Moyes can still produce an ace from up his sleeve. DOWN ONE

Tony Pulis
Stoke City - Tony Pulis

Often knocked for making Stoke play a direct style, Pulis shows a strong backbone by ignoring his critics and continuing to make his side very difficult to play against. NON-MOVER
West Brom: Roy Hodgson
West Bromwich - Roy Hodgson

Survived his first game…just. Not an entirely convincing performance in the Black Country derby, and the Baggies boss will need to improve on Monday night away to Stoke. UP ONE
Owen Coyle
Bolton - Owen Coyle

Their league form may have fallen by the wayside but Bolton are within touching distance of Wembley after a fine win at Fulham in the FA Cup. Europe may still beckon after all. DOWN ONE

Harry Redknapp
Tottenham - Harry Redknapp

Now we know why he was so desperate to sign a striker. Spurs were toothless in front of goal at Blackpool and will struggle to secure a Champions League spot on that showing. NON-MOVER

Ian Holloway
Blackpool - Ian Holloway

Crisis, what crisis? Blackpool are not in free-fall after all following the fine lesson they gave Tottenham in counter-attacking. Will the confidence still be there for Wolves next? NON-MOVER

Liverpool: Kenny Dalglish
Liverpool - Kenny Dalglish

Will smell blood after Tottenham’s defeat at Bloomfield Road and will still believe his side can steal a Champions League spot. On course to land fairy tale European trophy. NON-MOVER

Arsene Wenger
Arsenal - Arsene Wenger

As well as closing in on the top of the table, Arsenal look set to end their six year wait for a trophy when they contest the Carling Cup final on Sunday. Life is looking rosy under Wenger again. NON-MOVER
Sir Alex Ferguson
Man United - Sir Alex Ferguson

United have not looked at their best all season but they are still on for a repeat of their unique treble. Wigan and Chelsea in four days will test his squad to the max. NON-MOVER

team talk

Megson rules out Hammers swoop

Sheffield Wednesday manager Gary Megson admits it is unlikely the struggling Owls will bring Benni McCarthy or Henrita Ilunga to Hillsborough.

The Owls held talks about bringing in the West Ham pair who are not included in the Hammers' 25-man Premier League squad.

But Megson told BBC Radio Sheffield: "To be perfectly honest I don't think it is going to happen, certainly in Benni McCarthy's case.

"Whether anything changes with Ilunga's case - we will have to wait and see."

talk sport

Parker wants Olympic Stadium run-out for West Ham

West Ham midfielder Scott Parker admits he would love to play for the club at the Olympic Stadium.

Parker will be 33 when the club move from Upton Park into their new 60,000 venue, but hopes he can still be part of the team when they make their move across east London.

The Olympic Park Legacy Committee announced West Ham as their preferred bidder last week and the news came as a major boost to the club who are struggling to retain their top flight status.

But despite their woeful position in the league, Parker is already looking ahead and knows it will be a historic day when West Ham play their first game at the Olympic Stadium.

Parker said: “It would be great to play at the stadium. Of course, you want to be playing at the best grounds and having been around the Olympic Stadium myself, it is going to be something special I am sure.

“First and foremost it is a great decision for the club – there has been a lot of work behind the scenes to get this and so that has been rewarded.

“It can only be a good thing for the club as it looks to build on for the future.”

sorry it is late them bastards had me up most of the night and i woke up well late i should have been in work half hour ago
Last edited by cockney hammer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mywhufc

Re: friday's gossip 25th feb includes west ham

Post by mywhufc »

:thup:
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers mate!

the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

ta ch, hope you have a good weekend mate :thup:
orpingtonhammer

Post by orpingtonhammer »

Thanks CH..
Cookedskunk

Post by Cookedskunk »

Top man, cheers :thup:
homebrew

Post by homebrew »

Thanks CH, can the old bill not do anything about the twats upstairs?
MrMum

Post by MrMum »

Sorry to hear that CH, a nice win on Sunday will sort you out.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Cheers CH
Cookedskunk

Post by Cookedskunk »

homebrew wrote:Thanks CH, can the old bill not do anything about the twats upstairs?
Old bill don't give a f***, it's a council matter and it takes ages to get anywhere. Sickening.
hammerheadjim
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by hammerheadjim »

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, who wrote that article about Hitz?

Xander
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Xander »

Cheers CH, you're a top bloke :crest:
Matt

Post by Matt »

Cheers CH, much appreciated.
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

Muddy
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH

****ing hell it's disco Avram
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Tottenham's Harry Redknapp is one of several managers monitoring Fenerbahce right-back Gokhan Gonul.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Everton are considering a move for Leicester midfielder Andy King after sending scouts to watch the 22-year-old, who has scored 15 goals to fire Sven-Goran Eriksson's side to the brink of play-off contention.
Full story: Daily Mail

Fulham have joined the race to sign Latvian striker Artjoms Rudnevs from Lech Poznan.

Chelsea full-back Yury Zhirkov could move to Liverpool or Queens Park Rangers after saying he might leave the Premier League champions in the summer.
Full story: Metro

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish is deciding whether to make an offer for American Alejandro Bedoya after the midfielder spent a week on trail at St Andrew's.

OTHER GOSSIP

Cesc Fabregas's fitness trainer says the Arsenal skipper could have played in the Carling Cup final on Sunday, although manager Arsene Wenger has ruled him out of the game.

Fabregas will beg Wenger to change his mind and give him the chance to lead his side at Wembley.
Full story: the Sun

The Glazer family are expected to move to end persistent speculation over the possible sale of Manchester United on Friday, issuing a statement in their latest financial results reiterating their commitment to their ownership of the club.
Full story: Daily Telegraph

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez will stay in Europe for at least three years, says the player's agent Kia Joorabchian.

Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam will see a specialist to try to solve a mystery abdominal injury which flares up after games.

Bolton boss Owen Coyle hopes the future of striker Johan Elmander will be sorted out in the next two weeks.
AND FINALLY

Birmingham will travel to Wembley for Sunday's Carling Cup final without an essential piece of kit - their cup final suits. The Blues had struck a deal with retailers Harvey Nichols for £9,000-worth of outfits for players and managerial staff. But a mix-up over the colour of the suits meant the designers were unable to complete the order in time to produce them for the game.

Referees boss Mike Riley has banned one of his officials in a clampdown on the use of Facebook and Twitter. Mark Brown was suspended for three weeks after posting a football-related jokebook on the social networking sites.
Full story: the Sun

Inter Milan goalkeeper Julio Cesar left his car at the San Siro and walked home after the Italian team lost in the last minute to Bayern Munich in Wednesday's Champions League tie.
Full story: Metro

Bundesliga club St Pauli included one of their press officers in the squad to face Hannover 96 last weekend because of a lack of fit defenders.
Full story: the Guardian

The Mill woke up this morning in a cold sweat witht the realisation that Kia Joorabchian hadn't issued a statement on Carlos Tevez's future for a good few seconds. Luckily the Mail soon popped through the letterbox and after learning that a few pop stars had got out of cars, the real news arrived: Kia Joorabchian had made a statement about Carlos Tevez's future. "Let me make it perfectly clear that Carlos plans to remain in Europe for the next three years, minimum," said Joorabchian, without mentioning he would be at Man City for that time. "After that, no one really knows what will happen. However, Carlos Tevez has great affection for his old clubs, and that includes West Ham," he added, mistakenly placing the Olympic Stadium somewhere off the coast of Africa.

After being rejected by every single player at the school disco, Blackburn manager Steve Kean has noticed Djibril Cissé sobbing on the step outside. Kean has offered him half a can of cider, as many chicken products as he can eat and the bus fare home if he promises to go out with him in the summer. Kean will need to make room on the team coach though, so England Under-21 keeper Frank Fielding has been told to do the proverbial one to Derby County.

If Harry Redknapp had a pound for every time he's been linked with a move for Fenerbahce right-back Gokhan Gonul, he'd have one pound.

Simon Cox used to do this kind of thing, just because he felt like it. Now he prefers to turn down loan moves from West Brom to Bournemouth. There's no accounting for some people's taste.

Rumbelows Cup finalists Birmingham City are considering a bid for USA midfielder Alejandro Bedoya after a week's trial at St Andrew's.

Milk Cup finalists Birmingham City want to sign Crystal Palace defender Nathaniel Clyne but will have to fight off competition from former Worthington Cup winners Blackburn Rovers.

Littlewoods Cup finalists Birmingham City have half an eye on Kenny Dalglish, who has unfurled his wings and is ready to swoop for Scott Dann. He'll leave £10m on Alex McLeish's front doorstep for courtesy's sake. Once that business is done he'll bid for Chelsea's Yuri Zhirkov, whose status has been officially upgraded from "unsettled" to "wantaway".

And finally, Fulham want to sign Latvian striker Artjoms Rudnevs; Charlie Adam will see a specialist about his poorly tummy and Ged Houllier quite fancies a spot of Barcelona's Gabi Milito.

Everton are eyeing Leicester midfielder Andy King, Tottenham are tracking Gokhan Gonul, while Blackburn and Birmingham want Nathaniel Clyne.
.Dirk Kuyt grabbed his first goal in seven games to put Liverpool in the Europa League last 16 and admitted: "It's about time I scored".
Edin Dzeko put on a Jekyll and Hyde performance as Manchester City made the last 16 of the Europa League.
Arsene Wenger has left Cesc Fabregas fuming by ruling him out of the Carling Cup final.
Peter Taylor has been hounded out of Bradford by fan power - just seven weeks after snubbing a switch to Newcastle.
Jonas Gutierrez has warned his Newcastle chiefs they must show ambition - or risk losing star players.
Blackburn will fight with Birmingham to sign 19-year-old Crystal Palace star Nathaniel Clyne this summer.
Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is among several managers checking out Fenerbahce right-back Gokhan Gonul.
Steve Lomas is heading back to West Ham - as reserve-team boss.
..Cesc Fabregas will today beg Arsene Wenger to change his mind - and give him a chance to play in Sunday's Carling Cup final.
Edin Dzeko blasted an early double to send Manchester City into the Europa League last 16.
Dirk Kuyt's late goal sneaked Liverpool into the last 16 of the Europa League.
Barcelona have called Arsenal "immoral" for preying on their academy stars.
Manchester United are poised to become the first Premier League club to break the £100m barrier for annual commercial income.
Jonas Gutierrez wants to stay at Newcastle - and hopes Mike Ashley makes it worthwhile.
..Arsenal skipper Cesc Fabregas is out of Sunday's Carling Cup final.
Dirk Kuyt used his loaf to head Liverpool into the last 16 of the Europa League - and almost certainly sealed himself a new deal.
Edin Dzeko scored twice in the opening 12 minutes to fire Manchester City into the last 16 of the Europa League.
Carlo Ancelotti has told Bolton they have no chance of nabbing Daniel Sturridge in the summer.
Jonas Gutierrez pledged his future to Newcastle - then warned the club is at a crossroads.
Harry Redknapp believes Gareth Bale will be back to boost Spurs' Champions League quarter-finals bid.
Cristian Rivieros is set to end his Sunderland nightmare with a move to Corinthians.
..Arsenal skipper Cesc Fabregas was last night ruled out of the Carling Cup final with a hamstring injury.
Edin Dzeko scored twice against Aris Salonika to seal Manchester City's place in the Europa League last 16.
Kenny Dalglish found himself riding a rollercoaster as Liverpool progressed into the last 16 of the Europa League.
Jonas Gutierrez has joined the growing list of Newcastle players threatening to quit unless Mike Ashley spends cash from Andy Carroll's £35million sale.
Dean Windass is favourite to take over from Peter Taylor at Bradford next week.
Everton are considering a move for Leicester midfielder Andy King.
Bolton manager Owen Coyle hopes Johan Elmander's future will be resolved within the next fortnight.
Fulham are interested in Lech Poznan's Latvian striker Artjoms Rudnevs.
Sunderland fear defender Michael Turner is out for the season.
..Dirk Kuyt rediscovered his scoring touch right on cue to guide Liverpool past Sparta Prague and into the Europa League's last 16.
Edin Dzeko scored twice in the opening 12 minutes to swat aside Aris and take Manchester City into a Europa League last-16 clash with Dynamo Kiev.
Arsene Wenger last night sacrificed Cesc Fabregas' Carling Cup final dream to keep alive his ambitions of an Arsenal quadruple.
Jonas Gutierrez has issued an emotional plea to Mike Ashley to keep Fabricio Coloccini and Jose Enrique this summer.
Everton are tracking Leicester midfielder Andy King.
Portsmouth chief executive David Lampitt has revealed they have up to five different consortiums vying to take control at Fratton Park.
..Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager, wants his team to win the Carling Cup for Cesc Fabregas after the captain was ruled out of Sunday's final through injury.
Kenny Dalglish maintains that little has changed in the game in the 20 years that separate his two spells at Anfield and his argument was bolstered last night when Liverpool proved that the passage of time has not lessened their capacity to produce the most attritional of victories.
..From Boyzone to the Eurozone, Kenny Dalglish has access all areas. One of the Irish pop group's most famous fans, the Liverpool manager enjoyed another night out at a packed, sold-out venue on Merseyside.
..One of the five players banned by the Football Association for betting on the outcome of their own match has told The Independent that the vast gulf in pay between the Premier League and lower divisions is causing Football League players to commit the same offence.
..Arsenal suffered a major blow in their quest for silverware after Cesc Fabregas was ruled out of the Carling Cup final against Birmingham City on Sunday.
Barry Hearn, the chairman of Leyton Orient, will ask for West Ham and the Premier League's assistance in helping his club build a 15,000-seater stadium in return for not disrupting the handover of the Olympic Stadium with legal challenges.
..Walter Smith was given the perfect birthday present in Portugal by a group of players disgusted by their own performances in Sunday's Old Firm derby.
Aiden McGeady played a key role in securing two Champions League places for Scottish clubs in 2012/13.
Celtic midfielder Ki Sung-Yeung is a transfer target for Gwangju FC in his native South Korea.

THE INDEPENDENT: One of the five players banned by the Football Association for betting on the outcome of their own match has told The Independent that the vast gulf in pay between the Premier League and lower divisions is causing Football League players to commit the same offence. ALSO: Arriving at a hefty sum of £27m and billed as one of Europe's most promising strikers, you'd suspect Edin Dzeko didn't need reminding his honeymoon period at Manchester City was already over.

THE GUARDIAN: Arsenal suffered a major blow in their quest for silverware after Cesc Fabregas was ruled out of the Carling Cup final against Birmingham City on Sunday. ALSO: Barry Hearn, the chairman of Leyton Orient, will ask for West Ham and the Premier League's assistance in helping his club build a 15,000-seater stadium in return for not disrupting the handover of the Olympic Stadium with legal challenges.

DAILY EXPRESS: Dirk Kuyt rediscovered his scoring touch right on cue to guide Liverpool past Sparta Prague and into the Europa League's last 16. ALSO: Arsene Wenger last night sacrificed Cesc Fabregas's Carling Cup final dream to keep alive his ambitions of an Arsenal quadruple.

DAILY MAIL: Arsenal skipper Cesc Fabregas was last night ruled out of the Carling Cup final with a hamstring injury. ALSO: Edin Dzeko celebrates at Eastlands as he scored twice against Aris Salonika to seal Manchester City's place in the Europa League's last 16.

DAILY MIRROR: Dirk Kuyt grabbed his first goal in seven games to put Liverpool in the Europa League last 16 and admitted: "It's about time I scored." ALSO: Arsene Wenger last night left Cesc Fabregas fuming after ruling the Spaniard out of the Carling Cup final.

THE SUN: Cesc Fabregas will today beg Arsene Wenger to change his mind - and give him a chance to play in Sunday's Carling Cup final. ALSO: Reputation are important in football. Unfortunately for Roy Carroll, he doesn't have one.

DAILY STAR: Arsenal skipper Cesc Fabregas is out of Sunday's Carling Cup final. ALSO: Dirk Kuyt used his loaf to head Liverpool into the last 16 of the Europa League last night - and almost certainly sealed himself a new deal at Anfield.

THE TIMES: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger wants his team to win the Carling Cup for Cesc Fabregas after the captain was ruled out of Sunday's final through injury. ALSO: Kenny Dalglish maintains that little has changed in the game in the 20 years that separate his two spells at Anfield and his argument was bolstered last night when Liverpool proved that the passage of time has not lessened their capacity to produce the most attritional of victories.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: friday's gossip 25th feb includes west ham updated

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

'Sack Race' :lol: that is just classic,
and nice to see our Avram out in front ... by a mile.

Thanks CH for another great round-up,
and hammer...
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Cheers CH :thup:
JohnnyBoy3000
Location: In a room with a picture of Karren Brady and a West Ham sock

Post by JohnnyBoy3000 »

Steve Lomas?

The type of player he was and experiance he has at international level means he could have the right tools to succeed as a manager.

A Northern Irish accent will help too, imagine him shouting at you, your'd bloody listen.