wednesday's gossip 2nd march includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

wednesday's gossip 2nd march includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Bridge is Av-in fun at Hammers

WAYNE BRIDGE has blasted critics who accuse West Ham boss Avram Grant of lacking passion.

Defender Bridge, on loan with the relegation-threatened Hammers from Manchester City, said: "Avram is a character.

"Sitting in team meetings, you realise what a positive person and manager he is.

"Everything is geared to making the players feel good about themselves and going on to the pitch with the right attitude.

"Avram wants everyone to be positive on the pitch, to get forward and play attractive, attacking football."

the mail

Collison set to boost West Ham's relegation fight with return to fitness

Jack Collison will hand West Ham’s relegation scrap a major boost by returning to full training next week after being out for 12 months with a knee injury.

Collison, 22, could make his first-team return for the derby at Tottenham on March 19.

west ham ti'll i die

Demba, Demba, have you scored a goal? Yes sir yes sir, so has Carlton Cole!

Typical! So much to say about Sunday’s game and by the time I get to sit down in front of my PC Iain and Mr Chandos have said everything I wanted to say and all the contributors have said all the things I was thinking. Which leaves me yet again to mop up the bits and make the stupid comments.

I would not for one moment want to detract from what was an amazing performance against Liverpool, but I have to say that in 27 years of attending games at Upton Park, that was by far and away the worst Liverpool side I have ever seen.

By my reckoning it’s the first time we have popped three goals past Liverpool in a league game since 1982-83 season (we won 4-1 in the cup in 1988) so the volume of the achievement cannot be underestimated, however the Liverpool of the 1980’s was a different proposition to what we saw on Sunday. (As an aside we also beat Manchester United 3-1 at Upton Park in 1982-83. Bring it on!)

I thought that everyone played superbly, the only possible exception being Wayne Bridge who was constantly being caught missing the overlapping player. Their goal could have been defended better and at 2-1 I could hear 35,000 foreheads being slapped. I would had done the substitutions in reverse order (Cole then Spector), but otherwise an impeccable display from Mr Grant also.

It has been noted here several times before that I am no expert on tactics and formations, and I have never played the game at any level higher than school representation, but I think I know what good looks like, and it’s obvious to me that one of the reasons why the team has looked so balanced in the last two matches has been the arrival, at last of Thomas Hitzelsperger. In my opinion he not only gives the midfield a much needed balance but he also has a range of passing that has been missing, not just accurate but finding some unexpected angles.

That, combined with the power and athleticism of Demba Ba has made us look a lot more promising, but I have seen enough false dawns to know that I should not be lining up eggs and counting my chickens just yet.

Speaking of eggs it had been bothering me for some time who it was that Freddie Picquionne reminded me of, then on Saturday night it came to me whist watching “Cool Runnings” on BBC3. He is Sanka. I wonder if he passes his lucky egg around the dressing room before the game and Wally Downes smacks him on the head just as he comes up the tunnel. “Thanks Coach!”

We have to get rid of that Demba Ba Kumbaya song, it’s cringesome. It makes us sound like a bunch of Girl Guides round a camp fire. I would like to propose an altogether more macho and testosterone-laden song, which my nephew Sam and I composed during the game on Sunday. To the tune of “Baa Baa Black Sheep” it goes something like: “Demba, Demba have you scored a goal? Yes sir yes sir, so has Carlton Cole.” Actually, I must confess that as we came up with it, it was considerably less positive and involved the words “no, no and nor.” However such is the fickle nature of the football fan that I was able to amend it quickly and I hope it gets heard. Maybe.

Ok moving on… I know that ‘bubbles’ is our theme tune and everything but it is really necessary to soak the pitch by tunnel with six tons Fairy liquid before every game? I few bubbles is nice..pretty..but it’s like a Siberian snow-storm out there.

Someone had definitely slipped something into Martin Allen’s half time bowl of water. Whilst I thought he was very funny I could also feel he was in danger of overstepping the mark. Jeremy Nicholas is a mate of mine and I felt for him as Mad Dog made himself the most awkward interviewee since Russell Harty got clobbered by Grace Jones or Rod Hull and Emu chased Parky around the table. It was harsh to call Scotty’s goal a toe-poke. I suspect he’d been at the hospitality sauce, but his opening comments about Germans not being popular in East London etc, made me think Jeremy should have cut to the highlights a few minutes earlier.

There was some bizarre refereeing none more so than the throw-in given to West Ham after Gary O’Neil attempted to take Wayne Bridge’s head off. I’ve not been a huge fan of Bridge since his arrival but that was going a bit far Gary. I don’t think anyone in the ground could understand it – Halsey played it safe all afternoon and showed no courage with his decision making – sadly, as the stakes get higher this type of referring is increasingly endemic. For example, I can’t remember who the defender was but he had a handful of Piq’s shirt. The ball comes over and hits Piq on the shoulder. Ref gives free kick to Liverpool. Gutless.

I would like to join the list of people wishing David Gold a speedy recovery, much as I dislike the man and his comedy-Dave sidekick I I would not wish hospital food on anyone. Interesting though that he had a bile duct infection. Must have used up all his bile in January cursing Grant and O’Neill.

Grant does look a different man, gesturing and even smiling on a couple of occasions. At one point I thought he was going to burst into a chorus of “What a beautiful noise.” Then I realised what has happened. O’Neill did get the job after all but he was so upset and embarrassed by the mess that Gollivan made of it he insisted on doing the job incognito – disguised as Grant. This explains the upturn in form, and the improved body language of the manager. The truth is out there.

The only people who haven’t had a pat on the back after Sunday has been the crowd. We were magnificent. Loud and supportive throughout. and lots of love for Jonjo Heuerman after his walk from Wembley for The Bobby Moore Moore Cancer Trust. Bobby would have been proud of everyone. More of the same next week when it may not be going so well. All together now: “Demba, Demba…”

Daniel Sturridge has hinted he could try to make his loan move from Chelsea to Bolton permanent. The striker has netted four goals in as many games and says he is revelling in the freedom given to him by Trotters boss Owen Coyle.
: Metro

Juventus are preparing a £17m summer bid for Barcelona midfield misfit Javier Mascherano, formerly of Liverpool.
Daily Mail

Fifa's executive committee will begin a two-day meeting on Wednesday to decide on the number of berths each continent will be allocated for the 2014 World Cup.
Daily Mirror

Wolves forward Kevin Doyle believes his side, who lie third-from-bottom in the table, require four more wins to secure their Premier League survival this season.
Daily Mirror

Liverpool are hopeful £35m January signing Andy Carroll will make his debut for the club in Sunday's Premier League home game against leaders and bitter rivals Manchester United.
The Guardian

Tottenham winger Gareth Bale is losing his race to be fit for the second leg of his side's Champions League last-16 tie against AC Milan on 9 March at White Hart Lane.
: Daily Mirror

Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh has revealed his team's Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham was met by a silence in the losers' dressing room, with not even manager Arsene Wenger uttering a word to his deflated players.
Metro

The Gunners, meanwhile, are planning to sell off more land around their Emirates Stadium after announcing a £2.5m half-yearly loss on Monday.
The Sun

West Ham co-owner David Gold is recovering well after being admitted to hospital on Sunday night suffering from cholangitis - an internal inflammation - and blood-poisoning condition septicaemia.
Daily Mail
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Re: wednesday's gossip 2nd march includes west ham

Post by kitthehammer »

The Daily Mail really is ****.
They report everything 1-2 days late and never say anything positive about us.
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers CH. Agree with WHTID about the Demba song. Problem is - it's one of those things you can't get out of your head.

:thup:
West-Beef

Post by West-Beef »

I read this every morning but never say thank you -

so.............er.............thank you!

:thup:
Xander
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Xander »

Cheers CH, absolute legend of a bloke :thup:
Cookedskunk

Post by Cookedskunk »

Cheers CH, hope all's well :thup:
codger
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by codger »

kitthehammer wrote:The Daily Mail really is sh*t.
They report everything 1-2 days late and never say anything positive about us.
Do you actually read the Daily Mail or just criticise for the sake of it?

How about yesterdays very in depth article with lots of performance statistics on "CAPTAIN SCOTT" Parker by Laura Williamson?

Also calling for consideration for player of the year.

Here is a link. very interesting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... front.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by codger on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire 'ammer

Post by Yorkshire 'ammer »

Sheffield United used to do Kumbaya to Michael Brown and it made them sound like complete and utter bell-ends. It's embarrassingly awful and we should stop it - IMMEDIATELY. Ffs.

Headbanger
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Yorkshire 'ammer wrote:Sh*ffield United used to do Kumbaya to Michael Brown and it made them sound like complete and utter bell-ends. It's embarrassingly awful and we should stop it - IMMEDIATELY. Ffs.

Headbanger
Demba Ba>Michael Brown

Also Michael Brown is a sort of tough tackling robust player, Kumbya M'Lord doesn't suit him whereas with Demba it sort of goes.
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

Yorkshire 'ammer

It's not the player, it's the song. Whatever the context or lyrical variation, it sounds ridiculous and it doesn't belong in a football ground...specifically ours.
Myron T Buttram
Probed by aliens

Post by Myron T Buttram »

Yorkshire 'ammer wrote:It's not the player, it's the song. Whatever the context or lyrical variation, it sounds ridiculous and it doesn't belong in a football ground...specifically ours.
Unfortunately Ba Ba Black Man Have You Any Goals would probably get most if us banned by the PC brigade.
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

Yorkshire 'ammer wrote:It's not the player, it's the song. Whatever the context or lyrical variation, it sounds ridiculous and it doesn't belong in a football ground...specifically ours.
Considering probably 40% of football songs are sung to the tune of hymns how does it not belong in a football ground?

Plus I don't think my mates version "Ba Ba Black man, have you any goals..." is going to be a winner.

Edit.
Myron, you must stand near me then. :lol:
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Thanks CH... good to have your pc working again.
Cheers hammer ....

Gorgeous day here in Dublin... looking forward to the Weekend already. :crest:
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

codger wrote:
Do you actually read the Daily Mail or just criticise for the sake of it?

How about yesterdays very in depth article with lots of performance statistics on "CAPTAIN SCOTT" Parker by Laura Williamson?

Also calling for consideration for player of the year.

Here is a link. very interesting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... front.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In depth? You must be pulling our legs here.

**** article, saying nothing interesting or new. The Daily Mail is the Daily Mail. And shall forever be criticised.
aboycalleddave

Post by aboycalleddave »

Good to have you back CH.
WindmillWarrior

Post by WindmillWarrior »

Villa sing a version of Kumbya as well. Its about Paul McGrath i think.
Its not ideal for our fella i agree, but if we can't get anything better it'll have to do I guess...
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Yorkshire 'ammer wrote:Sh*ffield United used to do Kumbaya to Michael Brown and it made them sound like complete and utter bell-ends. It's embarrassingly awful and we should stop it - IMMEDIATELY. Ffs.
:think:

I always thought it originated from the Barmy Army during the 2005 Ashes Series?:

#"Michael Vaughan, my lord, Michael Vaughan"#, etc, etc
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
Yorkshire 'ammer

BSB1 wrote: Considering probably 40% of football songs are sung to the tune of hymns how does it not belong in a football ground?

Plus I don't think my mates version "Ba Ba Black man, have you any goals..." is going to be a winner.

Edit.
Myron, you must stand near me then. :lol:
I'm not averse to hymns being used in football grounds, some work incredibly well. However, this one makes me want to puncture my own ear drums. It's a subjective thing, of course and quite clearly there are people who must like it....but to me it just sounds wrong.