saturday's gossip 5 march includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's gossip 5 march includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Now it’s a Cole new ball game

CARLTON COLE is back in form to dish some damage on Stoke today.

The West Ham striker feels confident after scoring four goals in his last three games.

And he said his team-mates are gunning for three Upton Park wins on the spin.

He said: "The team is buzzing. I think the boys are in a good mood and we could do some damage.

"Morale is the best it has been for a while and I'm happy with the manager's attitude towards us.

"We're bonding as a team. That's what we need."

West Ham also face Stoke a week tomorrow in the FA Cup - away.

But Cole says they cannot read too much into what happens today.

He said: "Everyone is going to put their all into every game, whether it be the first match or when we've got them in the FA Cup.

"We're not going to take anything lightly, we know they will come gung-ho and we need to capitalise on all their mistakes."

the sun

Grant to snub pal Roman

AVRAM GRANT is ready to snub his pal Roman Abramovich to stick with struggling West Ham.

The Hammers boss has been linked with his old director of football job at Chelsea.

But Grant said: "I love this club and I have a contract here.

"I enjoyed it as director of football but I enjoy it now as a manager, except when we are not winning.

"I really, really believe in this club.

"First step, we have to stay in the league but I came here to build something and I am sure we can do it."

Grant faces a battle to keep his post regardless of whether the Hammers stay up.

But West Ham's bid has been lifted by Demba Ba.

The Senegalese striker, 25, failed a medical with today's rivals Stoke before joining the Londoners on a pay-as-you-play deal worth up to £6million.

West Ham have paid just a £500,000 deposit on him because of his dodgy knees.

And Ba has responded with three goals since signing from Hoffenheim.

Grant added: "We were always first choice. Despite our situation, we are a good club and players like our football.

"I think a player, just like me, always has a point to prove."

the sun

Karren Brady’s football diary

ANOTHER dive on the emotional rollercoaster.

Nothing against Wolves but their victory over Blackpool today twists the relegation plot yet again and, even though it's still only February and I'm having a few days somewhere where the sun shines, my nerves are well frayed.

I've dropped a few pounds and I'm feeling quite good on the beach when I bump into a Premier League director who I've never seen eye-to-eye with - although that's probably because he's at least a foot shorter than me!

'Are you worried about being 'papped', he asks.

"Who's likely to give me a double-page spread?" I reply, rather proud that the tan and non-drinking have worked a little magic.

Later I see him tipsy at the bar and he confesses his wife thinks he's in Moscow on business.

He's on business all right - the monkey type.

Oh well, at least he'll be good for a loan signing next season as I do some pap work with my mobile!

And how he'll explain his tan to his missus is anyone's guess.
Sunday, February 27

HOW can a team who played like West Ham today be in the relegation zone?

Our win against Liverpool burned all the blues away.

And, writing of the Blues, what a wonderful League Cup win for my old club.

Few outside the St Andrew's faithful will understand what it means to them. Congratulations, too, to manager Alex McLeish and all the staff there.

I had been warned that a training-ground injury to Scott Parker might mean he would be missing.

But he was there all right, scoring the first goal and proving again that he is a true pro and the best English midfielder. I love to see people fight back.

Robert Green has done so - one save today was amazing - and, on a different level, so has referee Mark Halsey.

He is excellent today but that's not the point.

When you have confronted your own mortality through serious illness, as he and I have, you appreciate the gift of hope and the power it can provide. Useful tools for a career in football!
Monday, February 28

OH, heavens above, I can't believe it.

I WAS papped on the beach (see Saturday's entry) and the photo appears in a newspaper today.

Looking at it, it looks as if the only pounds I've lost are from my wallet and I now regard it as an act of cruelty for a picture of anyone over 25 on the beach to be published.

David Beckham is clearly less bothered about who sees his body whether in underpants or displaying wildly unsuitable tattoos.

He's unveiled a new one on his chest, Jesus being carried by three cherubs, starring himself as the saviour and his three sons as the chubby fellas.

It isn't for me to tell Beckham what he should do with his body, especially in light of my picture, but I can have an opinion.

His chest art might be worthy of the Louvre but I wouldn't let it out of the loo.

It's the time of the season where a clearly offside West Brom equaliser at Stoke sends waves through every relegation-fearing club. It's going to be that tight.
Tuesday, March 1

PETERBOROUGH have gone really posh with their offer of a £15,000 season ticket to sit in the director's box at every match.

I've been in boxes where I'd have paid that much to stay out - and one from which I was banished for being a woman.

Posh have acted with enormous initiative and I have always believed that no matter how many avenues are closed another is round the corner.

There was a terrific reaction when we started our 'kids for a quid' scheme at St Andrew's and some derision when I even managed to find a sponsor for the naming of subs as they ran out.

It all helped to keep revenue rolling in and we stayed in the black, as we are on turnover at West Ham.

Sir Alex Ferguson is bemoaning the fact that Brazilian David Luiz was not sent off at Stamford Bridge tonight, yet he originally defended Wayne Rooney for a non-carded elbow against Wigan.

Fergie has a peculiar problem with his eyes - he can see only red.
Wednesday, March 2

THE Premier League have written to me and other chairmen defending their judgment in fining clubs who in their opinion do not field the strongest available team.

Their thinking is wrong as well as naive, if you ask me.

They talk of maintaining the honesty and integrity of each result as if managers are impressionable boys unable to make such judgments.

Wolves and Blackpool have both been punished for this alleged offence and that's no accident.

With respect, clubs with lesser squads are bound to be more at risk in the league's system which is founded on the number of games in which a player appears.

Advertisement

Hasn't it struck them that Wolves and Blackpool don't rotate players as, say, Manchester United and Arsenal do, because they turn out the so-called best team among their registered 25-man squad far more often than either?

Mick McCarthy and Ian Holloway made the decision that the clubs and the integrity of the league would be best served by the teams they fielded on the day.

This surely is the proper test.

And remember this, the Wolves team at Old Trafford last season performed most capably while Blackpool were within a whisker of getting a draw away to Aston Villa.

The logical question is this: Why is the League not threatening to punish clubs who field knackered footballers because they have played too much?
Thursday, March 3

AN historic day for West Ham as London Mayor Boris Johnson and the Government approve our move to the Olympic Stadium.

After the closing ceremony in 2012 we will take over the greatest stage in world sport and our promise is that it will remain at the heart of competition in this country.

We have been bequeathed the sporting equivalent of the crown jewels. We promise to keep the shine on them.

And now the real work begins - planning the move and then completing it by 2014.

A few words to Spurs and chairman Daniel Levy: I absolutely believe ours was the best bid by miles - but no hard feelings.
Friday, March 4

COMPETITION for the Premier League title is about to become political and there's no greater expert in the cuter arts of deflecting pressure than Sir Alex.

Actually, I suspect he's already at it.

When the going gets tough the Man U manager reaches into every nook and cranny for ways of taking the weight off his players and adding more of it to his rivals.

Maybe I'm wrong but the current attack on referee Martin Atkinson owes as much to easing the tension on his players as to fury at debatable decisions.

Meanwhile, a man who has learned about Fergie's techniques at some cost, Arsene Wenger, stands in his way and surely must expect a few rapier blows should Arsenal stick around to examine United's championship credentials.

I don't see another team capable of doing it.

Against Sunderland on Saturday, Wenger's team have to beat the shivers that beset them so often when they near the big prizes because they could all but be in the box seat should Liverpool beat United on Sunday.

the mirror

West Ham's Grant aiming to be a giant-killer

West Ham manager Avram Grant has warned the rest of the Barclays Premier League's relegation battlers that his men intend scrapping for every last point in their fight to stay up.

The Irons host Stoke tomorrow, boosted by last weekend's 3-1 victory over in-form Liverpool that saw them reduce the gap on safety to a single point.

With fixtures ahead against Premier League leaders Manchester United, Champions League hopefuls Tottenham and Manchester City and champions Chelsea, Grant could be forgiven were he to target 'easier' matches for the points he needs.

However, now with the luxury of a nearly complete squad for the first time, the defiant Israeli maintains all opportunities are there for the taking.

"Sometimes, I know people lose their belief when they are at the bottom, but we never did it. We were always seeking to do it our way," Grant said.

"I am very happy that we took the points against Liverpool, but now we have a lot of games ahead of us that we want to continue with these performances and to keep winning."

Grant added: "Of course, we need to win those games against teams around us, but we will not give up in any game.

"We showed we are a class team against Liverpool, in the beginning of season against Tottenham and in the Carling Cup against Manchester United.

"If we are at our best, we are not an easy team to beat. We have a good chance to stay up if we keep playing as we have been playing the last games and taking points."

Grant is not concerned with how the table looks now, only when they come to tot up the points in May.

The Irons boss said: "I know that last year was 35 points, the year before was 38, but the last time West Ham were relegated it was with 42 points.

"It depends, because this season there is not a weak team - every team is taking points. It will be difficult to predict how many points you need.

"But I am not looking about this because if we do what we need to do, we don't need to look at this."

Demba Ba has certainly made an impact since his January transfer from Hoffenheim.

The Senegal forward - who almost signed for Stoke - has chalked up three goals in as many games, vindicating Grant's decision to push the transfer through.

"I have followed him for a long time in the Bundesliga. He did well," the West Ham boss said. "He is a kind of player I like - a player with movement, intelligence. He knows how to score goals as you saw in the last games.

"I can tell you that he's not yet at his best because he didn't train for a long time. Every game he's becoming better."

Grant maintains there are plenty of reasons for everyone associated with West Ham to remain positive, as the club look forward to their move to the Olympic Stadium, hopefully still as a top-flight side.

"It is a big challenge to be in this club. I knew it before, I know it now," said the Irons boss. "But, I believe in this club and I believe this club can be in a better place, not where it is now."

On the outlook after 2012, when the Hammers expect to take over the Olympic Stadium, Grant added: "It is a big opportunity for our club to make two steps ahead - off the pitch and on the pitch.

"We will do everything to take this opportunity to take West Ham forward. We need to be in the Premier League and I believe that we can be.

"Now that we have the squad which we didn't have before, I think it will be easier - even if the games ahead of us are not easy."

the mirror

West Ham to unleash Ba on the club that snubbed him

West Ham have no fresh injury worries for the visit of Stoke in the Barclays Premier League.

Demba Ba, rejected by Stoke earlier this season over medical issues , is expected to lead the attack having netted three goals in as many games, while midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger is a welcome addition in the squad again following his injury lay-off.

Junior Stanislas (hernia) is doubtful while Jack Collison (knee), Kieron Dyer and striker Robbie Keane (both thigh) remain out, although all three are closing on a return.

Team (from): Green, Jacobsen, Tomkins, Upson, Bridge, O'Neil, Parker, Noble, Hitzlsperger, Piquionne, Spector, Ba, Cole, Boffin, Reid, Da Costa, Boa Morte, Hines.

the mirror

Grant: Ba passed up Stoke's long ball play

Avram Grant has claimed Demba Ba always wanted to sign for West Ham because they play better football than long-ball Stoke.

And the Irons boss insisted his own “love” for the East End means he wants to remain at Upton Park next season – even if they are relegated.

The Hammers face Stoke in the first leg of a league and FA Cup double-header today with the Senegal striker leading the line.

Ba, 25, failed a medical on a £7million move to the Britannia Stadium in January – and then joined the Hammers on a pay-per-play deal after an initial £500,000 payment to Hoffenheim.

He has repaid a large part of that with three goals in his first three appearances.

Grant claimed: “Demba Ba is a player we wanted and he wanted us from the ­beginning.

“He almost got away from us. Everton and other teams also wanted him. When I met him he said he wanted to play at West Ham and I think he made the right choice.”

And Grant insisted players like Ba want to sign for the club be because they “like our football”.

He explained: “I believe in this ­football and that the supporters enjoy it and the players enjoy playing (it).

“If we do it in the right way you also enjoy it and can get results.”

Grant was yesterday again linked with a return to Chelsea as director of football next season but said: “I love this club and have a contract.”

Ryan Shawcross is on a mission to ­gate crash Fabio Capello’s England squad after passing his Emirates exam.

The Stoke defender was Public Enemy No. 1 after facing Arsenal for the first time since his challenge broke Aaron Ramsey’s leg but said: “I may look back and remember it was a game in which I moved on to another level.”

the mail

West Ham talisman Parker scoops player of the month award as Wenger is named top boss for February

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and West Ham midfielder Scott Parker have been named as the Barclays Premier League manager and player of the month for February.

Arsenal won three of their four league games in the month, with the one they did not win being their 4-4 draw at Newcastle, a match they had led 4-0 with 22 minutes remaining.

It is the 11th time that Wenger has won the award.

Parker enjoyed a fine month, helping West Ham haul themselves off the foot of the table with stellar performances in their 3-1 wins over Blackpool and Liverpool.

'It is certainly a great honour,' Parker told West Ham's official website.

'Things are obviously going well personally and I'm absolutely delighted to win this award and am very pleased with the way things are going. Personally, it's very good.

'To get this award is very pleasing, so hopefully we can now pick up some results and stay up to round it off.'

West Ham host Stoke on Saturday in another must-win game for Avram Grant's side.

After beating Liverpool at Upton park last weekend, Parker praised the fans saying their support will make the difference in the club's battle for survival.

'It makes a massive difference when you're out there and your fans are behind you,' he said.

no one deserves it more well done scott :thup:

the mail

WEST HAM v Stoke: Avram Grant with no new worries ahead of Potter clash

Demba Ba is expected to lead the attack having netted three goals in as many games, while midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger is a welcome addition in the squad again following his injury lay-off.

Junior Stanislas (hernia) is doubtful while Jack Collison (knee), Kieron Dyer and striker Robbie Keane (both thigh) remain out although all are closing on a return.

Team (from): Green, Jacobsen, Tomkins, Upson, Bridge, O'Neil, Parker, Noble, Hitzlsperger, Piquionne, Spector, Ba, Cole, Boffin, Reid, Da Costa, Boa Morte, Hines.

the independent

Grant pledges his loyalty to Hammers despite link with Chelsea

Avram Grant has underlined his commitment to West Ham United by insisting he would stay at the club if Chelsea approached him over a return to Stamford Bridge as director of football.

The 56-year-old has been linked with the role as a result of the impending departure of Frank Arnesen, the sporting director, to Hamburg at the end of the season. But Grant, whose team are in the Premier League relegation zone ahead of today's game against Stoke at Upton Park, said: "I love this club and I have a contract here. As long as I can achieve what I think I can achieve with this club, I love it here. I really believe in this club. First step, we have to stay in the league, but I came here to build something and I am sure we can do it."

Grant previously held a director of football post at Portsmouth but is focused on West Ham's survival campaign rather than heading back to the club he took to the Champions League final in 2008.

"I cannot tell you I did not enjoy it as a director," he said. "I enjoyed it. I had the opportunity to change and create things. But I enjoy my job very much now, except when we are not winning."

The Hammers are looking for their first back-to-back league wins of the season against Stoke today. Senegal striker Demba Ba was set to join Tony Pulis's squad in January before the deal collapsed over a failed medical, allowing West Ham to resurrect their interest. "We were always first choice," said Grant. "He was very brave because many players can use it for their own good in negotiations but Demba said it.

"I think he made the right choice. Everton and other teams wanted him, and our target here is to have players that many teams want."

Grant believes the style of football at Upton Park has given him a bargaining tool in the transfer market. "West Ham, despite our situation, are a good club and players like our football. Robbie Keane, Wayne Bridge and Thomas Hitzlsperger could choose other teams but came to us.

"Even though we are at the bottom, players like the football we play and the environment inside."

daily express

WEST HAM, GRANT ME MY WISH, SAYS AVRAM

AVRAM GRANT has pledged his loyalty to West Ham, with Chelsea having shortlisted him to become their director of football.

Grant wants to stay at Upton Park, even though the club may still remove him from his job whether they stay in the Premier League or are relegated.

He said: “I love it at West Ham. I love the club, when you have a vision like I do about something, then you just have to believe.

“And, so long as I can achieve what I want, then I am here.”

Grant had a successful spell at Stamford Bridge as caretaker manager after the sacking of Jose Mourinho, when he took Blues to the Champions League final.

He also has a close association with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and since the departure of Frank Arnesen, the club have a vacancy at the top tier of their management.
ì
Avram Grant has a close association with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich
î

Grant, whose Hammers side host Stoke today, added: “I did enjoy it at Chelsea but I believe in what we are attempting to build at West Ham and the progress we are making.”

Having filled a similar director’s role at Portsmouth under Harry Redknapp Grant is seen as a safe pair of hands in the direction and maintenance of club affairs.

But he added: “I like being a team manager and I like what I am doing. We have a long-term vision here, we have many options and competition. And I enjoy the challenge.”

Blues may want an answer from Grant before his and West Ham’s fate is decided this season, but the Israeli remains positive his men will escape the drop.

His latest transfer coup, Demba Ba, faces a Stoke side who rejected the Senegalese striker in December because of a knee problem.

Ba has scored three times in four games to boost West Ham’s survival hopes and Grant said: “He decided to join us because he preferred the football we play.

“Players understand what we are trying to do at the club and it is the reason Robbie Keane and Wayne Bridge decided to join us.”

Hammers paid just under £1million for Ba after Stoke had agreed a £7m fee with Bundesliga side Hoffenheim, only to pull out of the deal over injury fears.

West Ham now pay for Ba per game and Grant added: “From the very beginning, even though he was nearly a Stoke player, he wanted to come to us.

“We nearly didn’t get him, it wasn’t an easy deal to set up. Everton were also after him, but he preferred us after watching us.”

Hammers have not won back to back league games for 13 months, but three points today will greatly assist their bid for safety and haul Stoke back into trouble.

Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross, meanwhile, is on a mission to force his way into Fabio Capello’s England squad, after passing his Emirates test last month.

Shawcross was called up for the friendly against Egypt last March and gave an impressive display against Arsenal, in front of Capello, despite a hostile reception.

Gunners fans refuse to forgive Shawcross for the challenge which broke Aaron Ramsey’s leg, but he believes the ordeal can help his England chances, saying: “It didn’t hinder me at Arsenal, in fact I think it spurred me on and made me want to go out there and perform even better.

“There is always going to be a villain in the pantomime and at Arsenal that’s what I was. A few years ago it would have bothered me and put me off my game, but I now know that in football these things happen.

“I would love to get back into the England squad. I got in there a year ago and I have always said to myself that I desperately want to be a part of it again.”

official site

Hammers help for heroes

A trio of serving Royal Navy officers are gearing up for a special fundraising Wembley to Cardiff walk between 18 and 24 March - all in aid of Help for Heroes.

Petty officers Andy Gibbs and Robert Brown will be walking the 168 miles, accompanied by support driver, warrant officer Dave Chandler. To mark the occasion, they will be at Saturday's match against Stoke City.

They are aiming to arrive in good time for the Wales-England UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier taking place at the Millennium Stadium on 26 March - a good job, considering they will be bringing with them the matchball.

They first collected the ball from the Welsh Football Association and national-team manager Gary Speed back in January. Once they make it to the Millennium, they will stride on to the pitch to hand it over to the referee.

The trio will walking an average of 35 miles a day between Wembley Stadium, Henley On Thames, Newbury, Swindon, Cheltenham and Monmouth before reaching Cardiff.

All proceeds will go towards the Help for Heroes appeal, with the Wembley to Cardiff walk listed on their website at : http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/wembley-to-cardiff.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chelsea are ready to sell defender Jose Bosingwa and forward Salomon Kalou in the summer.
Daily Mirror

Arsenal full-back Gael Clichy could attempt to force through a controversial move to rivals Spurs or Liverpool amid rumours that talks over a new contract have broken down.
Metro

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce says he will plead with Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson to let him have striker Danny Welbeck on loan again next season.
Daily Mirror

AC Milan are weighing up whether to join Arsenal in the race to sign Southampton's 17-year-old winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
Daily Mail

Aston Villa are leading the chase for £15m-rated Lille striker Gervinho. Liverpool and Tottenham are also interested in the 24-year-old Ivory Coast forward.
Daily Mail

Spartak Moscow are preparing for a £20m bid for Aiden McGeady from Zenit St Petersburg.
Daily Mirror

Liverpool's new striker Luis Suarez hopes his goals can help prevent Manchester United from winning a record 19th league title.
Daily Mirror

As his team prepare to play Liverpool at the weekend, Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs insists there is no better feeling than beating Liverpool at Anfield.
Daily Mirror

Ipswich striker Jason Scotland wants to score against promotion hopefuls Cardiff to help his former club Swansea win promotion.
Daily Mirror

Birmingham's Liam Ridgewell has claimed watching inspirational DVDs helped his team beat Arsenal in the Carling Cup final.
Daily Mirror

Gerrard Houllier has defended his weakened team selection for Aston Villa's FA Cup defeat on Wednesday by admitting that his side are not good enough to beat Manchester City and he did not fancy a replay had the match been drawn.
Daily Express
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Re: saturday's gossip 5 march includes west ham

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Cheers, CH :thup:
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Thanks CH
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

cheers CH.! Great to have the chance of an unchanged team..for once!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

And, writing of the Blues, what a wonderful League Cup win for my old club.

:x
TWalkley

Post by TWalkley »

Cheers CH. And well done Scott Parker.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

prophet:marginal wrote:And, writing of the Blues, what a wonderful League Cup win for my old club.

:x
She's right though..
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I didn't find their even being there 'wonderful', but each to their own.

Not long now, anyway. :thup:
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Cheers and good morning CH :thup:

Good to see AG putting a cap on any speculation about this rumour to Chelsea. The timing of this being dug up, is as usual, designed to plant something negative in hearts and minds at the club. FWIW, this story first came out back in January when the nonsense about MON taking over was being floated.
Xander
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Xander »

Thanks again CH

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Thanks CH :thup:

Hammer - BOTD 5 is lovely, brightened up my morning - let's hope west ham can brighten up the afternoon

Cheers both
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks again CH. COYI :crest:
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

Cheers CH :thup:
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Cheers CH, if Grant keeps us up then I'm more then happy for him to carry on.
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

Summer transfer budget spent:
http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cheers boys..

bit early for me but am working for a friend today..

Lovely day by the look of it, blue skies, little whispers of clouds over the mountains...

Hope when I get home we've got three points in the bag..would make my day...(and everyone else's no doubt)...

BotD #1 please Hammer, although why I keep getting a frog in an ice cube, I have no idea (number 4)
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Thanks CH.
charlysays

Post by charlysays »

Nice to see Brady practically grassing up a fellow director. Short guy that should be in Moscow but is actually indulging in monkey business where the sun shines. She might as well as named him because the clues for his wife are all there.

Is that how we do things the West ham way now !
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Cheers CH :thup: