mondays gossip 7th march includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

mondays gossip 7th march includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

West Ham 3 Stoke 0

AVRAM GRANT'S rejuvenated Hammers flew off to Portugal yesterday for some winter sun - and straight into heavy showers.

It sums up West Ham's season that grey clouds have never been far away, although maybe the outlook is brightening up just a little after a second successive win.

As a treat for taking six points in a week, manager Grant has taken the squad to the Algarve until Wednesday for some training and a little R 'n R - and that's nothing to do with relegation.

It meant a 5am start yesterday morning but the West Ham players were so excited that they were checking the weather forecast before the Premier League table immediately after demolishing Stoke.

Skipper Matthew Upson joked: "I think it's raining. This is more of a break in terms of change of scenery. If it is raining, so be it.

"We've been struggling a bit with the pitches at the training ground. They get a bit over-used.

"So it will be nice to go and get a different facility, a nice bit of grass and some good training facilities for three days.

"I've been there before. I've been around there on holiday. A couple of lads I think, have got houses not too far from there.

"I think we'll get some golf in, definitely. It's a big part of it. This stage of the season, everyone's been working hard and training hard for six, seven months now. So it's nice to get that mental relaxation as well as physical.

"It has a value, absolutely. There's a place for it. If you get the time and the right scenario and the right group and get it together, there's a definite advantage in doing that with the team."

The four-day jaunt is a step up from an afternoon out go-karting at Newmarket two weeks ago after which West Ham blitzed Burnley 5-1 in the FA Cup to set up another meeting with Stoke next weekend in the quarter-finals.

As the lads hit the departure lounge yesterday West Ham were out of the bottom three for only the third time all season with Sunday's Cup trip to Stoke very much a luxury item as Premier League survival is paramount.

The pitches at West Ham's outdated Chadwell Heath training ground have appalling drainage and may be part of the reason why the team has picked up so many injuries this season.

Inspirational midfielder Scott Parker almost missed last weekend's shock 3-1 win over Liverpool after falling on the rock-hard turf and damaging his shoulder.

No surprise, though, that everyone reported fit for duty on the Algarve in Portuguese defender Manuel Da Costa's backyard.

For once Parker was overshadowed on the pitch by a young centre-back with an eye for goal and a stomach for a fight.

Alongside captain Upson, West Ham's defence issued a clear statement that they would not crumble before Stoke's physical brand of football.

Da Costa, 24, scored a goal and then dovetailed into the reshuffled back four despite his lack of match practice caused by a long-term injury.

Striker Demba Ba scored his fourth goal in four starts for West Ham and set the tone for a rare whitewash as the Hammers hit three and kept a clean sheet for the first time since New Year's Day.

Da Costa got the second with a well-taken header from a free-kick and new boy Thomas Hitzlsperger rammed home No 3 which suggests a long-awaited wind of change at Upton Park. Upson said: "What Manu brings is a real physical edge to the game. If you're going to criticise him in any way, you'd say experience-wise and his decision-making, he could be a bit calmer at times.

"I try to speak to him and try to control him in that way, because he brings a lot of positives to the team and it's just a case of putting that together in a controlled manner.

"But when you want somebody in a game to go and attack a ball and get physical with someone, there's not many better. Physically, he's one of the best players I've seen.

"And if he just gets that bit of composure and calmness into his game as well, I think he could be a very good player.

"It was a good tempo, we started off very well, passed the ball. I've been saying all week that if we pass the ball well against these teams, we'll beat them.

"I was a bit surprised when I saw their team come out and it was only Carew and Walters up front. I thought that we dealt with it well.

"Manu's very, very good in the air, has got a great leap on him, scored a good goal. So, a good day for him.

"It is great to get the clean sheet. The win's the most important but clean sheets are vital.

"From now until the end of the season, the more clean sheets we can manage, the better chance we give ourselves."

DREAM TEAM RATINGS

SUN STAR MAN - MANUEL DA COSTA (West Ham)

WEST HAM: Green 6, Tomkins 7, Upson 8, Da Costa 9, Bridge 8, Noble 7, Parker 7 (Gabbidon 5), Hitzlsperger 7, Piquionne 7, Cole 7 (Obinna 5), Ba 8 (O'Neil 5). Subs not used: Boffin, Spector, Hines, Jacobsen.

STOKE: Begovic 5, Wilson 4, Huth 5, Shawcross 5, Pugh 5, Pennant 5 (Etherington 5), Delap 6 (Jones 5), Whitehead 5, Whelan 5, Walters 6, Carew 5 (Fuller 6). Subs not used: Sorensen, Collins, Diao, Wilkinson. Booked: Wilson, Shawcross, Pugh.

REF: A Marriner 6

the mirror

West Ham 3-0 Stoke

The Upton spark is burning bright – and it was a Potters reject who scorched visitors Stoke.

Demba Ba didn’t make the grade for Tony Pulis in the transfer window.

But he kept Avram Grant’s ­Hammers revival rolling with the opening goal yesterday – though it was another West Ham ‘new face’ that is driving the Irons upswing.

It is just too emphatic a change in fortune for it to be a coincidence.

After six months of injury-induced frustration, Thomas Hitzlsperger has made a quite stunning contribution to a West Ham season that was threatening to dissolve into a disaster.

Three games ago the German midfield player was able to return. The results tell their own story. Burnley were beaten 5-1 in the FA Cup while Liverpool were convincingly defeated in the Premier League a week ago. And yesterday the scalp of Stoke City was added after a performance in which Hitzlsperger was little short of inspirational.

Now there is daylight between West Ham and the bottom three. There is also the chance of unlikely glory with a cup quarter-final next Sunday at Stoke - an outfit who are dangerous on their own turf but who will also have to improve considerably if they are to exact revenge for yesterday’s hammering at Upton Park.

It was a win that was deserved and also featured more than occasional glimpses of the brand of football for which this East London parish is renowned. At the hub of it all is a midfield trio that can match up to many in the top flight. Allied to Hitzelberger’s intelligence,touch and range of passing is the energy of Scott Parker and the ever-maturing presence of Mark Noble.

Stoke just could not handle them - just as they struggled to cope with Demba Ba. Now there’s a name which will send a few shivers down the spines at Stoke. They had first option on the Senegalese striker but he failed to pass the medical. West Ham gambled and how that has paid off handsomely. He has scored four goals in his last four matches - and the irony of the latest would not have been lost on Stoke manager Tony Pulis.

“I thought we were well in the game until they scored,” said Pulis whose team are on a quite dreadful run of away form, with six successive defeats on their travels. But all the pre-match planning in the world cannot legislate for the mix-up between goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and Marc Wilson as they attempted to snuff out the danger posed by a through ball from Noble in the 21st minute. Unfortunately, neither succeeded and when the ball broke to a West Ham player, it just had to be Ba.

No hard feelings from Pulis, though. “That’s football,” he said. “We did what we did in good faith.”

He was less philosophical about the second strike eight minutes later. With the height and physique so apparent throughout their line-up, set-pieces should be the least of their concerns. But it was from a Hitzlsperger free-kick that Stoke were found wanting as an expert delivery found Manuel da Costa unmarked at the far post and the header was accurate and powerful.

Stoke sharpened up in the second half but West Ham retained their composure - and after Carlton Cole was a fraction wide with a fearsome shot, the clincher came seven minutes from time. Parker opened up the Stoke defence and his cross was driven goalwards by Frederic Piquionne. The shot was blocked but only as far as Hitzelsperger on his favoured left foot.

Only one outcome there. Welcome back Thomas.

the star

WEST HAM 3 STOKE CITY 0: AVRAM GRANT LOVES HIS IRONS BA

AVRAM GRANT claims justice was done when it comes to Demba Ba.

The West Ham striker hit the opening goal to show Stoke what they missed when they passed on signing him from German club Hoffenheim in January.

But Irons boss Grant insists he was the first person to spot Ba’s potential and that he ended up in the right place by signing on at Upton Park.

Grant accused the Potters of trying to steal the Senegal striker from under his nose – only to hang him out to dry by making it public he had failed a medical.

The Israeli said: “I think justice was done, yes. I don’t try to steal players from other teams.

“I don’t say that Stoke did that but no-one knew Ba before we wanted to sign him.

“I’ve followed all the leagues in Europe for many years and they were in first place last season and he played very well.

“I will look in my book to say when I first spotted him!

“The minute that his name was in the paper, everyone wanted him. I am very pleased that he came here.

“I believe in this when a player does not change his mind and from the first day he said that he wanted to play for us.

“He failed a medical, but he played plenty of games in Germany this season. It can’t be that a player who
played so many games like that could have a problem.

“I believe in the books of the medics – but if you only think by the books, you will be a writer not a coach.”

Ba certainly proved a point to Stoke boss Tony Pulis, who denies it was him who leaked the news about the 25-year-old’s medical.

Since the Potters passed on him, Ba has played in four Premier League games for West Ham, scoring four times.

But Pulis insists he does not regret refusing to sign him, despite his side equalling a club record of five straight away
games without a goal following this defeat.

He said: “We didn’t sign him because of his medical. I don’t think it was us that made that public. But he came to the football club and he failed the medical.

“Was he extra fired-up today? Not at all. I’ve seen him in previous games and, actually, the game before I thought he did better than he did today.

“But he is a good player.”

Ba pounced on a mistake by Marc Wilson and Asmir Begovic to break the deadlock in the 21st minute, and Manuel Da Costa made it two shortly afterwards.

By the time Thomas Hitzlsperger settled it late on the home side could have had a hatful.

So the West Ham revival continues – they have taken 11 points from their last 18.

But for Stoke the opposite is true.

They are in free-fall after losing their sixth away game in a row and desperately need their strikers to stand up and be counted.

Pulis said: “We haven’t done too badly away from home this season.

“That’s the first time we’ve conceded three goals all season.

“So we’re disappointed, but we’ll dust ourselves down and get on with it. The players are committed.
public. But he came to the football club and he failed the medical.

There’s no-one out there who has cheated the club.

“They’ve just made mistakes and West Ham have capitalised on that.”

Potters keeper Begovic added: “There’s a lot of teams in the relegation battle, of course, and we are not safe by any means.

“We have to pick ourselves up and start picking up points fast, to push away from the relegation zone.”

West Ham fly to Portugal for some warm weather training and team bonding before facing the Potters again in the FA Cup on Sunday.

Defender Matthew Upson said: “It’s more a break in terms of a change of scenery.

“It’s nice to go and get a good training facility for three days.

“I think we’ll get some golf in, definitely. It’s a big part of it.

“At this stage of the season, everyone’s been working hard so it’s nice to get mental relaxation.

“Fulham went there and I think they’re unbeaten since. It has a value, absolutely.”

the mail

West Ham 3 Stoke 0: Hammers on the rise after back-to-back victories

As he walked back to the dressing room with victory secure, Avram Grant pulled off his claret-and-blue scarf and threw it into the crowd. Just a few weeks ago, they might have flung it right back. This time, they scrambled for the prize.

With back-to-back victories, seven points from the last nine and the relegation places finally below them, times are changing at Upton Park. The pressures which almost buried Grant are now bearing down on Tony Pulis and Stoke.

The table only hints at their vulnerability, for their form is abject and their confidence fragile. Without the belief which they once bore like a banner, they have little to offer. Crude, muscular and predictable, there is more than a touch of desperation about them.

‘Everyone’s worried about the relegation situation,’ said Pulis. ‘We have to get to 40 points as quick as we can, then take a look around. It’s a tough old league.’

He also offered the view that: ‘We need a goal to go in off somebody’s backside.’

A difficult trick to bring off but at least it shows original thinking. Which is more than they could offer yesterday. For West Ham made them seem slow of mind and heavy of foot. Once or twice in the first half, there were cries of ‘Ole!’, as West Ham strung together a move of six or seven passes.
We need a goal of someone's backside!

Stoke have failed to score away from home in the Premier League in the last 8hrs 10mins of play and it has contributed to a run of seven matches in which they have won once.

If they continue at that rate they will be in serious relegation trouble.

‘We need a goal to go in off somebody’s backside,’ said manager Tony Pulis, whose side have lost their last six on the road.

Their four shots on target at West Ham were no consolation.

Stoke scarcely assembled that number of passes in the entire 45 minutes. They attempted little and achieved less.

The nimble West Ham midfield core of Mark Noble, Scott Parker and Thomas Hitzlsperger simply dissected them with sure touch and intelligent movement.

The two-goal margin they enjoyed at the interval was a miserable reward for their unchallenged control. The decision to play three central defenders in the back four had the home announcer marvelling at ‘the tallest West Ham team I’ve ever seen’.

But against this Stoke side, they looked as slick as Barcelona. The first came when Noble’s through pass saw Marc Wilson contesting with Demba Ba.

The Stoke defender distracted his keeper Asmir Begovic, who took a wild swipe at the ball and made no contact. Ba went stumbling on and stubbed the ball into the empty net. Stoke’s discipline started to fray.

After 27 minutes, Wilson was booked for bringing down Carlton Cole. Two minutes later, the ponderous Ryan Shawcross was similarly punished for cutting down Parker.

Hitzlsperger steered the free-kick to the far post, where Manuel da Costa headed the simplest of chances. Der Hammer: Thomas

Stoke lifted their game for a stretch of the second half but still their only flutter of pressure sprang from the neanderthal ploy which has Rory Delap heaving that preposterous throw. That apart, they had little to commend them.
MATCH FACTS

WEST HAM (4-5-1): Green; Tomkins, Da Costa, Upson, Bridge; Piquionne, Noble, Parker (Gabbidon 90min), Hitzlsperger,
Ba (O’Neil 82); Cole (Obinna 86). Subs (not used): Boffin, Spector, Hines, Jacobsen.

STOKE (4-4-1-1): Begovic; Wilson, Shawcross, Huth, Pugh; Pennant (Etherington 51), Whelan, Whitehead, Delap (Jones 68); Walters; Carew (Fuller 65). Subs (not used): Sorensen, Collins, Diao, Wilkinson. Booked: Wilson, Shawcross, Pugh.

Referee: A Marriner (W Midlands).

West Ham had no fear of losing the ball, since they knew that Stoke would return it soon enough, so poor was their collective touch. In any case, Parker was now organising
affairs to his own satisfaction; tidy, quick and incisive.

The first authentic Stoke chance emerged in the 70th minute, when Kenwyne Jones headed wide a cross from fellow substitute Matthew Etherington. But there was never a time when Stoke seemed capable of retrieving the match, and the third West Ham goal summed up much of what had gone before.

It arrived after 83 minutes, with Parker busily on the overlap to collect a Noble pass and run into the box at an angle which defied a tackle. He cut the ball back, Frederic Piquionne thrashed a shot which was blocked and the ball ran wide to Hitzlsperger, whose drive tore into the roof of the net.

It was the kind of goal that Upton Park had feared it might not see again and it was far too much for Stoke.

‘The momentum is there,’ said Grant. ‘There is competition for places. The injured players are coming back. I believe in the football we’re playing. We knew we could compete against good teams.’

They have a daunting number of good teams still to meet, including Spurs, Chelsea and Manchester City away and Manchester United and Villa at home. But results like this will promote belief. Does Grant really think they can survive?

A rare smile: ‘I had confidence when we were five points behind the rest at the foot of the table,’ he said. ‘I’m more confident now.’

He may have done his share of worrying for this season. Time for others to start to sweat. Already Tony Pulis is mopping his brow.

the express

WEST HAM 3 STOKE 0: IRONS AT THE READY

AVRAM GRANT took his ­players away for a four-day break in Portugal last night. He claims it is a working ­holiday – but maybe someone needs to tell his players.

With their first back-to-back wins since February last year, West Ham hauled themselves out of the bottom three and there were smiles all round at Upton Park as they packed their bags and their golf clubs.

Avram Grant says their Algarve base will have better pitches to work on than at their worn-out Chadwell Heath training ground.

So why then were his players all busy checking the weather reports from the Vale de Lobo (known for its golf, apparently)?

It’s more of a break in terms of a change of scenery

Defender Matthew Upson gave the game away, saying: “It’s more of a break in terms of a change of scenery. We’ll get some golf in, definitely. It’s a big part of it.

“Everyone has been working hard and training hard for six, seven months now. It’s nice to get that mental relaxation as well as physical. I’m looking forward to it.”

Grant has other ideas however. “We are taking them to some very good pitches to train. That is the main reason,” he said. “We did it two weeks ago. Maybe there will be some bonding. In their free time they can do what they want.”

At least the Hammers will head off with a spring in their step. This was the most comfortable of victories to follow up last Sunday’s win over Liverpool. And after a dark, dismal autumn and winter, Grant has gradually gathered together a squad that can score goals.

Senegal striker Demba Ba almost signed for Stoke in January but failed a medical and ended up at West Ham instead. How Potters chief Tony Pulis might end up regretting that.

Ba, with four goals in four games now, was superb on Saturday, scoring West Ham’s first goal when he pounced on a misunderstanding between Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and defender Marc Wilson. He was a handful all afternoon.

Defender Manuel da Costa nodded a second before half-time and the third came from a player who looks set to be equally important in the club’s battle against the drop – German midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger.

In only his second game for the club after getting injured in pre-season, the former Lazio player’s range of passing and anticipation gave West Ham’s game another dimension. When he smashed the ball in after the always excellent Scott Parker’s run, it was no less than West Ham deserved.

With Ba, Carlton Cole, Victor Obinna, Frederic Piquionne and Robbie Keane all fighting for places in attack, suddenly the Hammers look to have the firepower to survive. And they will need it, with games coming up against Tottenham, Manchester United and Chelsea.

Grant said: “I don’t remember a player who has had such a big impact in their first games in the Premier League as Demba Ba.”

Stoke, who have now gone 500 minutes without an away goal, were wretched and are close to being in the relegation fight. Begovic said: “We must start picking up points fast. We’re by no means safe.”

West Ham (4-4-2): Green 7; Tomkins 6, Da Costa 7, Upson 7, Bridge 7; Piquionne 7, Noble 7, Parker 7 ­(Gabbidon 90), Hitzlsperger 7; Ba 8 (O’Neil 81), Cole 7 (Obinna 86). Goals: Ba 21, Da Costa 29, Hitzlsperger 83.

Stoke (4-4-1-1): Begovic 7; Wilson 5, Shawcross 6, Huth 6, Pugh 5; Pennant 5 (Etherington 50, 6), Whelan 6, Whitehead 6, Delap 6 (Jones 68, 6); Walters 6, Carew 6 (Fuller 64, 6). Booked: Wilson, Shawcross, Walters.

Referee: A Marriner (West Midlands).west ham 3

stoke 0

the telegraph

West Ham United like it hot as goals rain in against Stoke

Matthew Upson predicted that it would be raining in Portugal when West Ham’s players spend a week away from Chadwell Heath, their quagmire of a training ground.

Upson’s pessimism did not reflect the mood of renewed hope at the club following this emphatic win over Stoke. Now it’s positively raining goals at Upton Park where there was, until recently, a drought.

The West Ham captain flew yesterday with his team-mates in search of grass to train on and some R & R ahead of an FA Cup quarter-final tie, away to Saturday’s visitors, and the continuing fight against relegation.

They are staying at the same Algarve resort where Fulham recently spent a short break – and have not lost since. West Ham, after scoring 20 goals in seven games, will train every day and hope the change of scene will enable them to continue their good form.

“I think it’s raining there at the moment,” said Upson. “It’s more of a break in terms of change of scenery. If it is raining, so be it.

“We’ve been struggling a bit with the training pitches at Chadwell Heath because they get a bit overused. So it’s nice to go and get a different set-up, a nice bit of grass and good training facilities for three days.”

The very reason for going to Portugal was highlighted on Saturday when captain Scott Parker aggravated a shoulder problem by clattering into advertising boards. The midfielder, who held his arm in discomfort, sustained ligament damage when he slipped as he turned in training 10 days ago.

Grant added: “We have a problem with our training pitch. It is not good and it was one of the reasons why Scott was injured last week. We are taking them to some very good pitches to train on in Portugal.”

One player who will feel at home is Manuel da Costa, the Portuguese Under-21 international who was outstanding against a woeful Stoke side.

Da Costa scored the second goal after Demba Ba had given West Ham the lead and was then instrumental, alongside Upson, in securing their first Premier League clean sheet since New Year’s Day.

“What Manu brings is a real physical edge to the game,” added Upson. “If you’re going to criticise him in any way, you’d say his decision-making could be a bit calmer at times. But physically he’s one of the best I’ve seen.”

Thomas Hitzlsperger completed the scoring with his second strike in three games. Hitzlsperger and Ba were signed by Avram Grant and both have impressed hugely.

The irony of Ba’s latest goal was not lost on Stoke or manager Tony Pulis. He failed a medical at the Britannia Stadium in January before arriving at West Ham and Grant knows there were others ready to pounce for the striker.

“No one knew Ba before we wanted to sign him,” said the West Ham manager. “The minute that his name was in the paper, everyone wanted him.’’

As for Stoke, who were outplayed for much of the game, there is cause for anxiety especially as they have lost their last six away games. They can seek revenge on Sunday when the clubs meet again for the right to play in a Wembley FA Cup semi-final, but Pulis accepts Premier League survival is still a concern.

“We need to get 40 points as quickly as possible,” Pulis admitted, “then look over our shoulder.”

the guardian

Demba Ba torments poor Stoke as West Ham climb out of relegation zone

West Ham United's Demba Ba falls in anguish after being fouled by Stoke City's Jonathan Walters West Ham United's Demba Ba falls in anguish after being fouled by Stoke City's Jonathan Walters. Photograph: Nigel French/PA

This victory was as comfortable as the position to which it propelled West Ham. Anywhere outside the relegation zone can be considered cosy given the season that Avram Grant's team have endured and they now sit 17th. Tony Pulis might settle for finishing there, given that Stoke are sinking alarmingly. They are four points clear of the drop, but their performance was feeble enough to confirm they are among the teams in danger of demotion.

It took a blunder to bring this game to life. Until the 21st minute there had been but aimless skirmishing, before a lapse in communication in the Stoke defence gifted West Ham the lead. Mark Noble flipped a pass through the middle and Demba Ba set off in chase. The defender Marc Wilson and goalkeeper Asmir Begovic got to it ahead of the striker but they left the ball to each other, with the result that neither dealt with it. So Ba tapped into the empty net from close range to claim his fourth goal in four league games.

Ba could have joined Stoke in January rather than West Ham. Pulis was on the verge of signing him from Hoffenheim but aborted the transfer after a medical examination raised concerns about the striker's knee, which Pulis described as "a ticking timebomb". Ba was certainly too explosive for Stoke's defenders, his power and clever movement continually perplexing the visitors, but Pulis insisted he did not regret his decision. "We did what we had to do in good faith and you never criticise people for that," he said.

In the 29th minute Wilson brought Ba down some 30 yards out. Up stepped Thomas Hitzlsperger to flight a free-kick to the far post, where Manuel Da Costa arrived to butt a header into the net. Now West Ham had momentum.

Scott Parker, Noble and the outstanding Hitzlsperger provided a level of class from midfield Stoke simply did not have. Hitzlsperger, the German international whose return from injury has, along with Ba's arrival, been a major factor in West Ham's improved recent form, nearly scored before the break, bringing a fine save from Begovic with a swirling shot from the edge of the area.

Two minutes into the second half Ba barged through defence and won a corner. Noble delivered and Da Costa headed against the outside of the post.

Stoke threatened only sporadically. In the 55th minute Delap forced an awkward save from Rob Green with a long drive. Two minutes later Carlton Cole went even closer for the hosts, curling a delicious shot from the corner of the area towards the far corner of the net. Begovic dived full length to save. The keeper denied Cole again three minutes later after another mix-up in the Stoke defence.

The Stoke substitute Kenwyne Jones headed wide in the 67th minute and Green was twice called into action to foil Jon Walters, but in truth Stoke never looked worthy of a point from this game. Hitzlsperger made absolutely sure they did not get one by crashing the ball into the roof of the net in the 83rd minute after a run down the right by Parker.

"Even when we were last in the table and five points behind everyone else I was confident that we would survive and I still am now," said Grant. Pulis, having watched his team suffer their sixth successive defeat and their fifth in a row without scoring a goal, admitted to being "concerned" about the prospect of going down. "We need to get to 40 points as quickly as we can and then see how the table looks," he said.

Next Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final brings respite from the league. But perhaps not from Ba, given that Stoke's opponents are West Ham.

THE FANS' PLAYER RATINGS AND VERDICT

NEIL FAIRCHILD, Loveinthetimeofcollison.blogspot.comThat was excellent, really good. We made a couple of changes – Da Costa and Cole came in – and we played a different formation. It was a bit of a surprise at the start but it worked really well and it was a brilliant performance. As soon as we scored we got a second and we coasted really from then. It all looks more promising, we needed the last two wins and we now have a better chance than we did this time last week. The manager does like to tinker. I would like to think he believes this is the way to play and he will stick to this formula and we will play the same team next weekend.

The fan's player ratings Green 7; Tomkins 7, Upson 7, Da Costa 9, Bridge 6; Piquionne 7, Noble 8, Parker 8 (Gabbidon 90 n/a), Hitzlsperger 9; Cole 7 (Obinna 86 n/a), Ba 8 (O'Neil 82 n/a)

RICHARD MURPHY, Author, Stoke City On This Day Poor all round. We started OK but one ridiculous mistake and we never looked like getting back in it really. That mistake gave West Ham a lift and our heads dropped. I don't know the solution – we played well up to a point but it's not going right and it's a bit frustrating. We looked a bit better with Fuller on but you cannot rely on one man. Also he doesn't look as good when he starts as when he comes off the bench. We've got West Ham again next weekend [in the FA Cup] but we've got to start picking up points. We're two or three wins away from safety but we're throwing away points and chances, and we're sliding into it.

The fan's player ratings Begovic 5; Wilson 6, Huth 7, Shawcross 7, Pugh 6; Pennant 6 (Etherington 51 8), Whelan 6, Whitehead 6, Delap 5 (Jones 68 7); Walters 6, Carew 7 (Fuller 65 7)

the independent

Grant's belief in new blood pumps fresh life into West Ham

West Ham 3 Stoke City 0

One team kept a clean sheet and scored with a towering header from a set play, the other was struggling from the moment its defence conceded a comedy goal. If the good news for West Ham United is that they have taken on some of Stoke City's battling qualities, the bad news for the team from the Potteries on Saturday was that, at times, they resembled the east Londoners at their most unconvincing.

The league table suggests that Stoke are also in danger of sliding into the relegation danger area that has been West Ham's habitat for most of the season unless they rediscover their identity away, where they have now lost six successive league games.

This was West Ham's first clean sheet since New Year's Day, and it appears it will be the reinforcements in midfield and forward strength that keep them up.

Avram Grant, their manager, finally has competition for forward places, with Demba Ba, who arrived from Hoffenheim in January after failing a medical at Stoke, scoring his fourth goal in four league games. And Thomas Hitzlsperger, the summer signing whose debut was delayed until last month by injury, has given them a valuable left-footed midfield presence.

It was his free-kick that was headed in by Manuel da Costa to double the lead and his thumping finish that sealed the victory in the second half.

"I don't remember a player that has such a big impact in their first games in the Premier League as Demba Ba," Grant said. "Demba and Hitzlsperger I have followed for a long time and I believe in them."

Stoke can take revenge on Sunday, when the teams meet in the FA Cup sixth round, and Tony Pulis, their manager, is not panicking yet. "We haven't done too bad away from home this season; that's the first time we've conceded three goals. I think we were the only Premier League club not to do that. So we're disappointed today, we dust ourselves down and get on with it."

Scorers: West Ham Ba 21, Da Costa 29, Hitzlsperger 83.

Subs: West Ham O'Neil (Ba, 81), Obinna (Cole, 86), Gabbidon (Parker, 90). Stoke Etherington 5 (Pennant, 51), Fuller 5 (Carew, 65), Jones 4 (Delap, 68).

Booked: Stoke Shawcross, Wilson, Pugh.

Man of the match Noble. Match rating 7/10.

Possession West Ham 60% Stoke 40%.

Attempts on target West Ham 10 Stoke 5.

Ref A Marriner (West Midlands). Att 33,066.

talk sport

Exclusive - Cole: 'Top ten finish still the aim for West Ham'

West Ham striker Carlton Cole has outlined the club’s aim of finishing in the top ten this season.

Despite battling against relegation all season the east London side have moved out of the relegation zone thanks to back-to-back win against Liverpool and Stoke City.

And Hammers top scorer Cole has told talkSPORT that the aim at Upton Park is now to build on the recent good form and push up the Premier League table.

He told Call Collymore: “We all know what we can do, we’re all professional players and we’ve been in the game for quite a while.

“Sometimes the manager doesn’t need to say anything, we know. We’ve come into the changing room and we’ve lost a game and we know what’s needed of us.

“Some of the performances this season have been unacceptable but the players have got together, shown great team commitment and we’re brushing it under the carpet.

“It’s now time to work hard, look to the positives and get ourselves out of the mess that we’re in.

“We’re still on the road to where we want to be, that was the top half of the table and hopefully we can still get there because it’s a funny old Premier League season.

“We can really push on with the form we’re in at the moment.”

Bayern Munich are in the race for Aston Villa's England star Ashley Young and are set to make a summer swoop if he fails to agree a new contract at Villa Park.
Daily Mirror

Spurs boss Harry Redwanker has joined the chase for Argentina's new teenage superstar Juan Jose Vea Murguia after the River Plate attacking midfielder decided he wants to come to England.
Daily Mirror

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway has hailed Chelsea striker Fernando Torres as one of the world's best players but doubts even he is worth the £50m the Blues paid Liverpool to secure his services.
Daily Mirror

West Ham striker Carlton Cole believes the Hammers can still finish in the Premier League top 10 this season.
Talksport

Didier Drogba could be given the chance to revive his Chelsea career against Blackpool on Monday night after being a substitute in three of their last four matches.
Daily Mail

Aston Villa Gerard Houllier has blamed the zonal marking system he inherited from former manager Martin O'Neill for his side's defeat against Bolton and claims he won't be able to fix the leaky defence until the end of the season.
Daily Mirror
beckton

Re: mondays gossip 7th march includes west ham

Post by beckton »

Cheers CH.

Carlton must have been taking some of what the Pink Palermo is on and what a great picture of Noble celebrating Ba's goal before he's even scored it. :D
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

cockney hammer wrote:
West Ham striker Carlton Cole believes the Hammers can still finish in the Premier League top 10 this season.
Talksport

Carlton has a mad "Top Ten" theory.
Pinky has a mad "Top Ten" theory.

I've never seen Carlton and Pinky in the same room together at once.
But they "both" regularly appear at the Boleyn.

Carlton is built like a tank.
Pinky spends a lot of time "spinning".

"Palermo" is an ancient Mexican slang term, meaning "over-chuffed". Probably.

Could it be...? ("thinking" emotty here)

Cheers CH, as ever :thup:
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

yet another reference to how our training pitches are causing injuries - will they move the training ground - or renovate it - when we move to the OS?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Carlton Cool is a wise man .Top half finish : so likely you can no longer get a price at Paddy Power .

And LC, if you think he's built like a tank ? :lol:
TWalkley

Post by TWalkley »

Thanks CH.

So according to the papers, we played either 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or even 4-4-2. :think:
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

thamesironworksfc

Post by thamesironworksfc »

Cheers CH long time reader but 1st time poster, you are a massive part of my daily routine so just like to say thank you :thup:
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

the pink palermo wrote:Carlton Cool is a wise man .Top half finish : so likely you can no longer get a price at Paddy Power .

And LC, if you think he's built like a tank ? :lol:
Yes Pinky, the nickname's taking off!

Carlton Cool and Avram Great are taking the Irons into Europe!
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

thamesironworksfc wrote:Cheers CH long time reader but 1st time poster
71 posts already, mate? You've been busy this morning :wink:
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Well done CH... top man.
and hammer... !!

Had a great day in London Saturday, very short... too short really and I was feeling the effects yesterday !!
But we are playing wonderful football right now, we look like a top 4 team..
I know I've said it before but when we are on song we are just awsome.

Just glad that I got to see West Ham at their best, on what could well be one of my last trips to the Boleyn before the move.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup: Awesome performance from Tomkins on saturday
DownunderHammer

Post by DownunderHammer »

Cheers CH,,,
<<So it will be nice to go and get a different facility, a nice bit of grass and some good training facilities for three days>>

My sort of a few days away... hope someone remembered to pack the Rizzlas :raver:
chill out lads....still a lot of graft to be done
vind

Post by vind »

Cheers CH, interesting news on the training ground, weren't we meant to be moving to a new site, also in the accounts it mentioned we have a lease on a new piece of land

Wonder what will happen now OS is top priority
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Tiit Hämarik

Post by Tiit Hämarik »

:thup: CH!
Ercans
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Ercans »

Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Thanks for the updates, and babe 1 is smokin
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

See the Mail had us playing 4-5-1 the Express 4-4-2 I thought it was quiet obvious we played 4-3-3 for the best part of the game.
I sometimes wonder if these journos actually go to the match. By the way, I think I'm turning queer, did you see the thighs on Da Costa.?