wednesday's gossip 9th march includes west ham updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

wednesday's gossip 9th march includes west ham updated

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Der Hammer loves the Hammers

THOMAS HITZLSPERGER admits he is loving life at West Ham.

The Germany star has played three games since making his long-awaited comeback from injury.

He scored on his Hammers debut against Burnley and in the 3-0 win over Stoke on Saturday.

Hitzlsperger said: "I'm enjoying being back playing again.

"That's three games and three wins, so what more could I ask for?

"I've scored again on Saturday and it's a pure joy being out there.

"The fans are behind us and there is a very good atmosphere."

Hitzlsperger has warned his team-mates not to get carried away with their recent success.

He added: "We're in a difficult phase at the moment but we seem to be handling the pressure very well.

"The business is not finished yet, though. There is a long way to go and we're looking forward to it."

the mirror

Der Hammer urges caution despite Hammers revival

West Ham midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger has urged his team-mates not to rest on their laurels following their recent renaissance.

The Germany international joined the Hammers from Lazio in the summer but did not make his debut until February due to a longstanding thigh injury.

Hitzlsperger's first appearance came in the 5-1 FA Cup fifth-round demolition of Burnley, before helping West Ham to consecutive Barclays Premier League victories over Liverpool and Stoke.

The 28-year-old has netted twice in his first three matches and has become a key part of Avram Grant's side, whose recent form has propelled them out of the relegation zone.

While Hitzlsperger admits he is delighted to be playing again, West Ham still linger dangerously close to the precipice and he knows there are plenty of hurdles still to overcome.

"I'm enjoying being back playing again," he told West Ham TV. "That's three games and three wins, so what more could I ask for?

"I've scored again on Saturday and it's a pure joy being out there. The fans are behind us and there is a very good atmosphere.

"We're in a difficult phase at the moment, but we seem to be handling the pressure very well.

"The business is not finished yet, though. There is a long way to go and we're looking forward to it."

Much of West Ham's change in fortunes has been due to the midfield triumvirate of Hitzlsperger, Scott Parker and Mark Noble.

Speaking on their understanding, he added: "I think there is a very good understanding, even though we haven't played many games with each other.

"All three of us in midfield like to have many touches of the ball and to change our positions and be creative."

the mail

Moving on? Stech could leave West Ham in the summer

Italian side Napoli target West Ham rookie Stech in £2m summer move

West Ham’s rookie goalkeeper Marek Stech is a £2m target for Serie A side Napoli.

The Czech, 21, has yet to make his Premier League debut but has already caught the eye of the Italians.

Hitzlsperger pleased to be back as German eyes Hammers safety

West Ham midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger has urged his team-mates not to rest on their laurels following their recent renaissance.

The Germany international joined the Hammers from Lazio in the summer but did not make his debut until February due to a longstanding thigh injury.

Hitzlsperger's first appearance came in the 5-1 FA Cup fifth-round demolition of Burnley, before helping West Ham to consecutive Barclays Premier League victories over Liverpool and Stoke.

The 28-year-old has netted twice in his first three matches and has become a key part of Avram Grant's side, whose recent form has propelled them out of the relegation zone.

While Hitzlsperger admits he is delighted to be playing again, West Ham still linger dangerously close to the precipice and he knows there are plenty of hurdles still to overcome.

'That's three games and three wins, so what more could I ask for?

'I've scored again on Saturday and it's a pure joy being out there. The fans are behind us and there is a very good atmosphere.

'We're in a difficult phase at the moment, but we seem to be handling the pressure very well.

'The business is not finished yet, though. There is a long way to go and we're looking forward to it.'

Much of West Ham's change in fortunes has been due to the midfield triumvirate of Hitzlsperger, Scott Parker and Mark Noble.

Speaking on their understanding, Hitzlsperger added: 'I think there is a very good understanding, even though we haven't played many games with each other.

'All three of us in midfield like to have many touches of the ball and to change our positions and be creative.'

official site

Spence shines again

Jordan Spence continued his impressive start to his month-long loan at Bristol City by helping them to a second straight win in four days - this time against promotion-chasing Portsmouth.

The Hammers right-back played the full 90 minutes in Tuesday's 2-1 triumph at Ashton Gate, as he had in Saturday's 4-1 win away to Coventry City, and did well against a Pompey strikeforce including David Nugent (pictured)and Dave Kitson. Spence is also benefitting from playing in front of City's England goalkeeper David James.

The 20-year-old is relishing his second taste of Championship football after eleven games at Scunthorpe United last season. He had established himself as the Hammers reserve-team captain this campaign but knew a loan spell would help his long-term hopes of adding to the one senior appearance he has for West Ham.

Spence, who can also play centre-half but prefers the full-back position, said: "I've come here to play games and my aim, first and foremost, is to do well for Bristol City. But it's also a chance to show the people at West Ham what I can do and I'm looking upon the next couple of months as a big opportunity for me personally.

"If the team is doing well and I'm playing regularly, then the rest will take care of itself."

bleacher report

West Ham Captain Matthew Upson Intends to Make Top Player of Da Costa

West Ham United defender Manuel Da Costa is young and dangerous.

In the Hammers’ recent league win over Stoke City, 24-year-old Da Costa scored a brilliant header from teammate Thomas Hitzlsperger’s expertly placed free kick.

It was the Portuguese international’s third goal in claret and blue.

Speaking with West Ham TV after the match, Hammers captain Matthew Upson praised da Costa’s goal, his ability and his potential.

“Da Costa had a very good game. He’s good in the air, got a great leap on him, scored a very good goal,” Upson said.

West Ham acquired the Portuguese defender from Italian Side Fiorentina in August of 2009.

Da Costa made his debut for the Irons in a League Cup defeat to Bolton on September 22, 2009. He scored his first goal for the side in a 3-3 tie to Hull City in November of the same year.

Da Costa has been featured intermittently in West Ham’s line up during the 2010-11 season; he's had seven league starts, one league appearance as a substitute and two League Cup starts. Despite this occasional use, he has two goals thus far for the season from his position in central defense.

“If you gotta criticize him in anyway, you’d say, like experience wise, with his decision making, he could be a bit calmer,” Upson said.

However, Upson went on to state, “When you want someone in a game to go and attack a ball and get physical with someone, there’s not many better. Physically he’s one of the best players I’ve seen. If he just gets that bit of composure and calmness to him he could be a very good player.”

The development of Da Costa may prove instrumental in Avram Grant’s long-term plan for West Ham. The team has taken to playing a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 formation with a combination Demba Ba, Carlton Cole, Freddy Piquionne, Victor Obinna and Robbie Keane up front, Parker, Hitzlsperger, Noble and Gary O’Neil in the midfield, Upson and Tomkins on central defense and Wayne Bridge and O’Neil on the wings, with Jacobsen adding to the defensive structure when called for.

The addition of Da Costa to such a line up adds three important factors—youth, physicality and attacking threat. Youth, well, that’s self-explanatory. All teams need young, developing talent to one day become the central figures of the squad as older, established players retire.

As for physicality, West Ham now has all the key components of an excellent attacking game. Where the squad sometimes lacks is strong, physically intimidating defense.

While Upson and Tomkins play well game in and game out, their supporting cast is only intermittently dependable. The development of Da Costa will give the Hammers a hard man option, someone to put out to play against physical, aggressive attackers like Drogba and Rooney.

Since the addition of Hitzlsperger and Keane, Grant has radically changed the formation of the squad, which now plays very aggressive, attacking football. Da Costa gives Grant an additional attacking option, a defender who can be used on set pieces to increase the Hammers’ scoring potential.

As an experienced EPL hand and captain of West Ham, Upson sees his own contributions to developing the Portuguese international into a top talent as integral.

When asked what his role in Da Costa’s development is, the England international replied, “To speak to him, to try to control him in that way, because he brings a lot of positives to the team. It’s just a case of putting that together in a controlled manner.”

Upson went on to reveal a top secret form of communication he uses with Da Costa, he speaks no English and understands little: eye contact and sign language. Ninja style!

the mirror

Dead body found at football ground

A football fan who went missing during a match was found dead in the stadium three days later.

John Steans, 50, went to Grantham Town's home game against Leek Town on Saturday, February 26, and left his friends at half time, telling them he was going to get some food.

He never returned and was reported missing to police after the match.

Three days later his body was discovered in the toilets at the South Kesteven Sports Stadium.

He was found just hours after police had issued a missing person appeal.

They told local newspaper The Grantham Journal: “The circumstances of Mr Steans’ death and the fact that he had been reported missing are under investigation.

“We are still in the process of establishing the cause of death and the timeline from Mr Steans being reported missing to the discovery of his body at around 3.50pm on March 1.

“The circumstances surrounding his disappearance and the investigation that followed have been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.”

Owners of the ground, South Kesteven District Council said Grantham Town FC was responsible for cleaning and locking up the stadium after games.

A statement from the club said: “Grantham Town Football Club was shocked to learn of the unfortunate death of supporter John Steans at Saturday’s game against Leek Town.

“The thoughts of the club are with his family and friends at this sad time.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Do ... 11782.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video: Non-league player/manager sent off for tackling streaker

Dorchester Town player/manager Ashley Vickers was sent off in the non-league club's defeat at Havant & Waterlooville last night - for aggressively tackling a streaker.

Two of his coaching staff then got their marching orders and two Magpies players followed in wild scenes.

Vickers said: “I’m dumbfounded and speechless. A guy ran on to the pitch without any of the stewards getting near him and I thought I was doing them a favour."

Former Sheffield United youth player Vickers, 38, saw red when the pitch invader, dressed in a Borat-style wig and mankini, interrupted proceedings with 70 minutes gone in the Blue Square Bet South encounter.

After watching the streaker cavort around the pitch untouched for 40 seconds, Vickers took matters into his own hands, catching him in a headlock and throwing him to the floor with such force his hairpiece fell off.

The ref showed Vickers a straight red and then sent assistant boss Phil Simkin and assistant kitman Dan Fuge from the dugout for their protests.

Vickers said: “My only thought was to get hold him so we could get on with the game. I managed to grab him and bring him to the ground and the funny thing was the stewards actually thanked me for it.

“But the ref decided to send me off and it beggars belief. Their players told the ref not to send me off and their chairman even offered to take a player off to even things up.

“The ref lost the game after that and he knew he had made a great error by the reaction of Havant’s players and management. In hindsight I perhaps shouldn’t have done it but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I’m sure people will crucify me for this but I have broad shoulders.”

As the game collapsed into farce, Dorchester defenders Jake Smeeton and Kyle Critchell also received straight reds for fouls.

Added Vickers: “It was Jake’s first foul of the night and it was an incredible decision to send him off.

“Then Kyle was sent off for apparently saying something to the linesman. All he did was ask why Jake had been sent off.

“Havant’s manager Shaun Gale said he will help us with a DVD of the game.

“No one in the ground, players and supporters alike, will have seen anything like that before and no one will see anything like it again."

Do you know the unlucky streaker? Call us on 0800 282 591 or email mirrornews@mirror.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunderland and England Under-21 midfielder Jordan Henderson will snub overtures from Chelsea and Manchester United this summer after expressing his desire to stay with the Black Cats.
Daily Mail

Arsenal are eyeing a double swoop for Everton duo Jack Rodwell and Sylvain Distin - the latter seen as a possible solution to the Gunners' widely-perceived weakness in central defence.
Metro

Striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, on loan at AC Milan from Barcelona, has had a change of heart over his stated desire to end his career at the San Siro, and could now become a target for Chelsea and Manchester City.
Metro

Paris St Germain are considering a £4m bid for Manchester City and England winger Shaun Wright-Phillips in the summer.
Daily Mail

West Ham's rookie goalkeeper Marek Stech is a £2m target for Italian side Napoli.
Daily Mail

The leg injury Manchester United winger Nani sustained in a tackle with Liverpool's Jamie Carragher on Sunday could end the Portuguese's season because of an infection risk.
Metro

Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov has declared Tottenham winger Gareth Bale is "one of the best players in the world" ahead of the second leg of Spurs' Champions League last-16 tie against AC Milan on Wednesday.
The Sun

The Football Association will seek clarification from Fifa on the rules over retrospective disciplinary action in the wake of the controversy over Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney's unpunished elbow on Wigan's James McCarthy.
Daily Mail

Manchester City defender Kolo Toure's hopes of escaping a ban for testing positive for a banned substance appear to be receding after Fifa's general secretary Jerome Valcke said ignorance cannot be used as an excuse for failing drugs test. Toure believes his positive test may be the result of taking what he believed to be an innocent diet pill.
Daily Mail

Tottenham have signed a new £50m five-year kit deal with American company Under Armour.
Daily Mirror

ch's babe of the day

http://www.sport.co.uk/public/AI_PetaTodd.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cockney hammer on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Re: wednesday's gossip 9th march includes west ham

Post by hammer »

Henry Wilt

Post by Henry Wilt »

Cheers CH. :thup:

Obviously they don't clean the ground too well at Grimsby! Feel sorry for that guys family to have to learn he's been dead in a toilet for 3 days.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Thanks CH.Has any one seen Keiron Dyer the last three days ?
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Makes me die that Upson seems to have a view on how Tomkins and DaCosta need to develop. Perhaps Upson should focus on his own performances.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
Cookedskunk

Post by Cookedskunk »

That's got me thinking, I wonder what my longest stint in the khazi was........... probably a guinness & cider related incident.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cheers yet again lads.....

So the Sun and Mirror both carry the same story, which they both nicked from the O/S.

Piece of piss being a journo these days. Either that or one of them nicked the story from the other thinking it was an exclusive...

:evil:
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup: and thanks hammer no3 for me!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Tottenham, Liverpool and Napoli are tracking Roma striker Mirko Vucinic, while PSG want Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.
The Sun

* Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was involved in two tunnel bust-ups after accusing the referee of destroying their Euro dreams after defeat in Barcelona.
* Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov has declared Tottenham winger Gareth Bale is "one of the best players in the world" ahead of the second leg of Spurs' Champions League last-16 tie against AC Milan on Wednesday.
* Meanwhile, United winger Antonio Valencia is back in training and should return for the club's crucial run in.

Daily Mirror

* England boss Fabio Capello has labelled Tottenham's Gareth Bale as the world's best wide man.
* Paris Saint-Germain are interested in Manchester City and England winger Shaun Wright Phillips.
* Spurs, Liverpool and Napoli are tracking Roma striker Mirko Vucinic.
* Tottenham have signed a new £50m five-year kit deal with American company Under Armour.

Daily Star

* Sunderland have opened contract talks with 31-year-old midfielder Steed Malbranque.

Daily Mail

* West Ham goalkeeper Marek Stech is a £2m target for Italian Serie A side Napoli.
* Stoke City winger Jermaine Pennant has revealed he wants to play for the Republic of Ireland after revealing he has an Irish grandfather.
* Manchester City defender Kolo Toure's hopes of escaping a ban for testing positive for a banned substance appear to be receding after Fifa's general secretary Jerome Valcke said ignorance cannot be used as an excuse for failing drugs test.
* The Football Association will seek clarification from Fifa on the rules over retrospective disciplinary action in the wake of the controversy over Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney's unpunished elbow on Wigan's James McCarthy.

Daily Express

* Paul Gascoigne has revealed he pleaded in vain with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to sign him when he was leaving Italian side Lazio.

After Arsenal's 10-0 defeat last night – we know it was technically 3-1 but we're including the goals that Barcelona would have scored if they hadn't effed around and disallowing the one they gave to the visitors because they felt sorry for them – Arsène Wenger has decided he needs an old-fashioned defender. The kind who tackles, heads, marks people at corners, displays positional sense, doesn't air-kick the ball in the six-yard box and maybe, just maybe, can defend. So he'll sign Sylvain Distin in the summer and then snap up Jack Rodwell too because, let's face it, you can't have too many promising young midfielders. That would open the way for Tomas Rosicky to leave the Emirates for ... for ... We can't think of who would buy Tomas so will just leave it there.

Talking of men surplus to requirement, Paris Saint-Germain want to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips. He's out of contract next year, so PSG reckon they could get him for around £5m. "Shaun is the best player in the world ever and actually invented physics too," said his spin doct ... his da ... top football pundit Ian Wright. Or we like to think he did anyway. OK, he didn't. "And England will definitely win the next World Cup too. The boys just need to show some passion."

Talking of right-wingers, the sports secretary, Jeremy "The Bad Word" Hunt, has revealed he doesn't know that much about football. "I am going to start a refereeing course as it was my New Year's resolution. If you asked me what the offside rule was, I couldn't tell you," he said. This is in the Mirror anyway. Did he honestly say that? That's amazing. "I decided to put it right, so the FA is very kindly sending someone to my office tomorrow," he added as Andy Gray and Richard Keys waited patiently outside his office with their Big Book Of Misogyny and a tasteless joke to put him at ease.

Shadow sports minister Ian Austin said: "I don't know if they play football at the fancy public school Mr Hunt went to. But it is staggering that the secretary of state responsible for our national game hasn't got a clue about the rules." The Mill was going to make a joke about how Austin probably went to private school himself but it turns out he was educated in Dudley, so we'll let him off. Then we read Hunt's middle name isn't BAD WORD after all but Streynsham and his dad is called Sir Nicholas Crumbly Cakes Hunt, so we let Austin off again.

Fifa don't look kindly on Kolo Touré's failed drugs test. Its general secretary, Jérôme Valcke, says ignorance is no excuse. "When you know that you are permanently under risk and threat of doping control, there are enough doctors in this team to make sure you ask them to check if this pill is on the list, and if by taking this pill you will be in risk of being positive at doping control," said Valcke, as the Mill spat out the "sweets" it had found on the floor of its local nightclub.

Spurs have signed a £50m five-year kit deal with Under Armour, who supply equipment for many NFL players, opening the way for lots of jokes about American football not being a real sport because you have to wear padding. Although we'd love to see the same smart-arses get hit by an 18st man who can run the 100m in 10.4 seconds and then still claim it's not a real sport.

And finally, Napoli don't have the funds to sign Petr Cech so they'll get West Ham's reserve keeper Marek Stech for £2m instead; Inter are still sniffing around Luka Modric; CSKA Moscow want Arsenal to stump up £12m for Keisuke Honda; and Jordan Henderson likes life at the Stadium of Light so much he'll tell Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City and Juventus to do one.

THE TIMES: Arsenal crashed out of the Champions League in controversial fashion last night as they went down to a 3-1 defeat by Barcelona that could have huge ramifications for the rest of their season.

DAILY MAIL: Robin van Persie slammed referee Massimo Busacca after Arsenal crashed out of the Champions League in the Nou Camp. Also: Harry Redknapp last night told Jermain Defoe he will not guarantee him a permanent place in his Tottenham team.

THE SUN: Arsene Wenger was involved in two bust-ups after accusing the referee of killing Arsenal's Euro dream. Also: Antonio Valencia is set to boost Manchester United's title charge after coming through the latest stage of his comeback.

DAILY EXPRESS: Lionel Messi once again destroyed Arsenal's Champions League dream, but they were left to feel robbed after Robin van Persie was harshly sent off. Also: Gareth Bale was given a boost in his battle to be fit to face AC Milan tonight after being hailed by England manager Fabio Capello as the best winger in the world.

DAILY STAR: Brave Arsenal crashed out of the Champions league by the narrowest of margins in the Nou Camp last night. Also: Fabio Capello last night warned AC Milan: You're up against the best player in the world in Gareth Bale.

DAILY MIRROR: Arsene Wenger suffered Champions League heartbreak as 10-man Arsenal endured a Nou Camp disaster. Also: England boss Fabio Capello says Gareth Bale is the world's best wide man.

THE INDEPENDENT: Arsene Wenger was left fuming in the tunnel with match officials as Arsenal crashed out of the Champions League amid controversy at the Nou Camp last night. Also: Harry Redknapp was yesterday fretting over the fitness of his flying winger Gareth Bale, but the Tottenham Hotspur manager has plenty of other reasons to be optimistic ahead of tonight's Champions League second leg with Milan at White Hart Lane.

THE GUARDIAN: Arsenal were far closer to Barcelona this year and elimination is all the more painful since they stood at 1-1 in this match, with a 3-2 lead in the Champions League tie, before Robin van Persie was shown a second yellow card for playing on after Massimo Busacca had blown his whistle.

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: For a brief moment here last night Arsenal dared to dream. For a brief moment after Sergio Busquets' own goal in the second half, levelling Lionel Messi opener, Mission Impossible seemed on for Arsene Wenger's men. Also: The Premier League is closely monitoring Birmingham City after concluding that the club's financial position is reason for concern.

Tottenham back in for Roma's Vucinic

Clichy waiting to see if Arsenal win anything before signing new deal

PSG plan cut-price swoop for SWP

Wolves boss wants permanent deal for O'Hara

Reading's Chris Armstrong retires after struggle with MS

Players won't be sold to balance books, says Sunderland chief

Sunderland midfielder in talks over new contract

Manchester United target wants to stay with Sunderland

Bolton turf out Gardner to Preston

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez is ready to leave the club for Inter Milan at the end of the season. (talkSPORT)

Arsenal are plotting a double raid on Everton for Jack Rodwell and Sylvain Distin . (Metro)

Aston Villa are leading Villarreal and Zenit St Petersburg in the chase for Basel midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri . (talkSPORT)

Arsenal and Liverpool face a fight to prize Japan international Keisuke Honda away from CSKA Moscow, who are demanding at least £12m for the midfielder. (talkSPORT)

Chelsea and Manchester City have been alerted to the potential availability of Zlatan Ibrahimovic who has apparently decided he no longer wants to finish his career with the Serie A side. (Metro)

Napoli are planning a £2m move for West Ham's young goalkeeper Marek Stech . (Daily Mail)

Newcastle , West Brom and Derby are all chasing Southend's Ireland Under 18 midfielder George Smith. (Daily Star)

Paul Gascoigne has revealed he pleaded with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to sign him when the Geordie star was at Lazio in 1995. (Daily Express)
thamesironworksfc

Re: wednesday's gossip 9th march includes west ham updated

Post by thamesironworksfc »

Bob

Post by Bob »

Big thanks as always CH ( 10 Iron r.i.p) :wink:
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

stech for £2m - hes supposed to be the next petr chech- i wouldnt sell.

hoping he will challenge green for a place this year
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Wright-Phillips eh? :think:
Would look great at our away teams bench, for the next side he signs for.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

Upson - developing our younger defenders - So is he staying now then???
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

FurryDice Upton Boy wrote:Upson - developing our younger defenders - So is he staying now then???

i thought that
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

officail site

Positive progress in Portugal
The Hammers are making the most of mild weather and excellent facilities on their training camp

West Ham United have made the most of fantastic facilities in Portugal this week to step up their training under Avram Grant's watchful eye before the FA Cup trip to Stoke City.

The Hammers are on the Algarve on a three-day training camp, and there has been the welcome sight of Jack Collison getting involved. Collison is coming back after a year out with a serious knee injury but has been able to take part in some of the warm-weather sessions, while Robbie Keane is stepping up from the light training he did at the end of last week.

Senior coach Paul Groves said: "Jack has joined in on the odd occasion and it has been good to have him involved. This trip has been the ideal opportunity for him. We will be cautious as he has been out for a year but it is positive to have him with us. We don't want to rush it, though.

"All in all, it has been a very positive experience so far. The weather has been mild and we have the perfect environment for training. We had a heavy thunderstorm overnight which made the pitch ideal and cleared the air.

"The grass is quick, slick and it is a superb playing surface. I'd say we have seen an increase in our levels of quality. The extra enthusiasm the players get from a good surface and new surroundings is plain to see and we have had some really good sessions."

In all, 27 players have made the trip, including Dylan Tombides - with the manager showing faith in the promising striker after some impressive reserve-team displays. It continued the manager's commitment to giving youth a chance - after several homegrown Hammers previously went on the summer camp to Austria - in the best traditions of the club.

Tombides took centre stage on Tuesday, and not just because he was celebrating his 17th birthday. More noticeable was that he was the only squad member to succeed in a training crossbar challenge - hitting the bar from the halfway line - in a skills test filmed by Portuguese television.

"It is a great atmosphere," added Groves. "We are making use of the fantastic facilities and great accommodation. It has been good to get everyone away and it will help the younger ones to develop. Dylan will benefit from it but also the likes of Mark Noble, James Tomkins and Scott Parker who have been training non-stop will get as much of a lift as well."

The manager has also taken the opportunity to push the positives in Portugal, with special mention of two established names rising to the challenge. Mark Noble has been recognised for adding several assists in recent weeks - he had a hand in all three goals at West Brom, two against Burnley and the first against Stoke City on Saturday - while Carlton Cole has hit a rich vein of scoring form with six goals in eight games.

The Hammers' four winter recruits - Wayne Bridge, Gary O'Neil, Demba Ba and Robbie Keane - have also had their first taste of being away with their new team-mates. As well as the use of the gym and pool facilities, there has been a chance for some to have a round of golf. In the evenings, there has been a quiz and even an impromptu karaoke night to lighten the mood.

"It has been a big plus to help integrate the new players even more," added Groves. "They have come into the fold without a pre-season and this has given them the opportunity to blend in even more. All the little bits of the trip have added to the atmosphere.

"It has bought the group together and solidified the team spirit. Just simple things like eating together and mixing together has made the group even stronger. On the back of the good form, it has kept everything moving forward. The win on Saturday has gone a long way to making this trip as good as it has been."
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Matty

You should have been saying that last year, and a captain's arm around the shoulders of young James after he dropped that awful bollock last year against Wolves wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Day late. Dollar short.