thursday's news 8th sept includes west ham updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

thursday's news 8th sept includes west ham updated

Post by cockney hammer »

west ham till i die

Guest Post: New Upton Park or SBOBet Stadium by Roshi

By Roshi

I have had my visit to the New Upton Park and disappointedly have to report my visit into the stadium was scuppered due to a “security situation” which personally, along with others think this had more to do with Lord Coe checking out all was going to plan for Seb’s big day out rather than the imminent discovery of Colonel Gadaffi lurking about under the seating.

I did however have a good tour of the Olympic Park and as such got a good close up of the stadium, it is big, very big and my initial thoughts echoed that of the rest of my tour group, “how the bleeping hell are you going to fill that up” was the general opinion being directed at me, even the most hardened blinkered Hammer would have to agree, it seems an impossible dream.

I was neither for or against the move, I think the season as it unfolded last year ultimately gave me a couldn’t care less attitude about a lot of things revolving around West Ham, but as it has panned out I think it was meant to be and as a club we have now turned the corner and are moving in the right direction as such my thoughts are beginning to change. If we are to get significantly better we have to get bigger, which means we have to get a stadium that suits our ambition.
The Olympic Stadium will do that, it would be magnificent if our club found itself in a home that would be without doubt the most impressive football facility in Europe, not just the stadium, but the infrastructure around it, the unrivalled transport links of Tube, DLR, Mainline trains, high speed links and of course an airport just up the road, what could possibly go wrong.

Well, the football on a pitch so far away from the spectators could go wrong, an atmosphere representing a League 2 match on cold night in January would be awful and the transition to a new home that seems to take the fans and players forever to get used to ie The Emirates, do we want that? I quite like the cramped and tired old Upton Park, I was brought up in it, but I guess everything changes.

The running track will have a seating structure built over it to take us closer to the action, the roof will be extended over the running track area which will hold noise in, the capacity will be reduced considerably, and the stadium facilities will be second to none. If our owners pull it off, we will be able to consider ourselves very lucky indeed. Financially it will cost a fortune, but what doesn’t now? I’m sure there has been due diligence taken as to the financial risks and I am sure they will stack up in the long run but it’s gambling at the highest level and although it’s difficult for many to say, our owners should be applauded for taking that risk. Council loans aside, it is still a risk only blue chip business men or fools would make. Take your pick.

What are my thoughts now after being so close to the our new home? I’m still seething that I did not get in. I even had an old faux silk circa 1976 scarf to lift aloft and in my mind give the first “come on you irons”. My thoughts are, memories are great but the future is more important and I am sure that all our fears regarding the the track and atmosphere etc will be addressed, because this venture will have to work. If it doesn’t we could possibly be looking at the demise of West Ham as we know it. So after much thought and and soul searching I have come down in favour of the move, but only just.

Judge for yourself. Public tours are free on selected weekdays and at weekends, by prior appointment. Phone 0300 2012 001 to book your place.

give me football

West Ham United striker Carlton Cole has paid tribute to his team-mates after a stunning start to the current campaign.

The Hammers hitman has scored three goals in the last three Npower Championship fixtures, notching in the 4-0 win at Doncaster, the 2-2 draw against Leeds and 4-1 win at Nottingham Forest.

Whilst happy to take the plaudits, the England international made a point of praising the effort of a squad which remains perfect away from home this season, and is well-placed in the division's play-off places after the opening month.

"Anybody would be happy with three goals in three games. Credit to the lads for producing the performances and creating the chances," Cole told West Ham United TV.

"Obviously I'm chuffed to be getting my name on the scoresheet again, but it's about other stuff as well. I think I've worked hard and created some chances for my other professionals as well and hopefully I will do again in the next game."

"We set ourselves a standard at Watford when we won 4-0 and we wanted to emulate that at Forest on Sunday. It was a really professional performance from the lads and I can't praise them enough."

Portsmouth are the next team to arrive at the Boelyn Ground on Saturday, with home form the only concern for Sam Allardyce after the opening day defeat to Cardiff City and last-minute equaliser against Leeds.

Cole is confident the Hammers can turn things around in East London though, and doesn't predict the issue to be a long-term problem during a season where promotion is the minimum requirement.

"I don't think there is a big issue with our home form - we just need to see out games and be professional. That is all it is really, we've just been a bit naïve," the striker continued.

"We just need to see out games like we did at Nottingham Forest. We got the goal we needed to settle our nerves, because sometimes when it is 3-1 we can lose a lead - it happened to us loads of times last year when we were comfortably in the lead and the other team got a goal and were all of a sudden back in the game.

"We saw it out nicely and the boys did really well. I was celebrating on the bench when the fourth goal went in. It was an emotional rollercoaster but that's how it goes sometimes. We got the goal to settle our nerves and it really took the pressure off us."

london 24

West Ham’s ‘Little’ Sam is ready to step up to the next level

The diminutive, speedy forward, who has already scored six goals this season, signed from MK Dons in a £2million deal two weeks ago and he is determined to add more firepower to West Ham’s promotion push.

“It is a big step up,” admitted the 22-year-old striker this week. “But I’ve settled in well and I’m already learning from some quality players here.

“The squad is full of Premier League players, but hopefully I can bring something different to the squad.”

Baldock reportedly turned down West Ham’s Championship rivals Southampton to come to Upton Park, but the player himself had no doubt where he wanted to go.

“Things have been reported elsewhere, but for me as soon as West Ham showed an interest they were the only club I wanted to come to,” admitted Baldock.

“I didn’t even have to speak to the manager about it. West Ham is a massive club and Sam Allardyce has done so much in the game.

“I spoke to him about my role and he told me it allowed the team to play with two strikers. It has been going pretty well with just the one striker at the moment, but I am ready to play wherever he wants me.

“The strikers here are good, but so are the midfielders too. I see myself as a player who can make runs and work really hard and when you have players with the quality of Kevin Nolan, Mark Noble and David Bentley threading balls through to you, I hope I will be able to do something with them!”

Baldock has only really played up front with one big man in the past – Aaron Wilbraham – who is now at Norwich, but a lot of the time this season he has been a lone striker.

Now he is likely to be pitched alongside the likes of Carlton Cole, Freddie Piquionne and John Carew, who he has been training with since his arrival at the club.

“The training is different to Milton Keynes,” he said. “It is about being sharper and stronger and that is coming along well for me. Milton Keynes have a very good training regime though as well, so I think I am pretty fit already.”

Baldock is likely to be on the bench against Portsmouth on Saturday unless Allardyce decides on a radical change to his formation from the previous games they have played this season.

But Baldock’s arrival adds pace to the team and if things are not going well then the little man could thrive in a 4-4-2 set-up and help West Ham grab their first home win of the campaign.

all i could find today no newspaper news

babe of the day

http://wopb.playboygirls.com/pic00117/p ... 2JP_14.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cockney hammer on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Re: thursday's news 8th sept includes west ham

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Cheers, CH.
Xander
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Xander »

Cheers CH :thup:

How "diminutive" is 'Little Sam'? Are we talking Tony Cottee MkII?
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Yep. I think he is about 5'7".
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Cheers CH.

BOTD = Filth :thup:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

All this no news is upsetting me. I think the Greek Goddess of Gossip is wating till we are very happy - then she will strike!
Coker

Post by Coker »

Olympic stadium is a good read, cheers :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

DL's BOTD

http://tinypic.com/r/2cqlatk/7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

cockney hammer wrote:
... without doubt the most impressive football facility in Europe...
Without doubt.

The key to building a truly great football stadium is apparently to build one specifically unsuited to football and put scaffolding behind the goals. Perhaps they should knock the Nou Camp down and start again?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Cheers CH.

That quote obviously wasn't from you (I know your thoughts on the OS) but from Roshi over at Tory HQ.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Dyer's Leg wrote:DL's BOTD

http://tinypic.com/r/2cqlatk/7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Entertaining DL...

What worries me is the 'other images you may enjoy' below your bird of choice... Very random...
Stoeff.at

Post by Stoeff.at »

Dyer's Leg wrote:DL's BOTD
just creamed my pants!
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

Hmmm...I must have been at a different Doncaster away, pretty sure we only won that one 0 - 1.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

I'm afraid Roshi lost me with ' new Upton Park ' , was he having a tour of a new tube station ?
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Cannot remember scoring 4 at Donny :?

Cheers CH
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH as always.

Another no news is good news day.