saturday's news 26th november includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Re: saturday's news 26th november includes west ham

Post by Denbighammer »

Matt of iron wrote:Image

Who needs 'Babe of the Day' when you've got breasts like that?! :lol:

What a magnificent photo, thanks CH. Cheered me up that has!
loftyboy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by loftyboy »

Rio back as a player? We don't need another crock, well past his best which he certainly would be in 12 months time. Back as a coach though - that would be a different matter, but equally unlikely
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I am sorry to say that Karren Brady has got her facts wrong if not her time periods.

Football was a "hot bed of racism", and at many grounds the National Front were a fixture. I wouldn't say the East End was any different from most inner cities across the country.

I work a lot with Red Card Against racism and it seems to have been at its worst around the "hooligan" period often politically motivated.

If you ask Leroy Rosenior, he will tell you it was worse at away grounds although some of our lot were equally ignorant. Shaka Hislop told me of fans abusing him at UP and when he turned up at a nearby petrol station to fill up his car the same fans asked him for an autograph. It seemed as if inside the ground all bets were off.

I don't remember ever seeing a player "showered" with bananas, although I have seen bananas thrown.

For balance though Christian Roberts, John Barnes and others will tell of similar problems.

It still exists today, and at Blackburn vs Man Utd, a couple of years ago as a guest I heard some Blackburn supporters abusing the black Man Utd players, led by a vocal ginger haired youth. The Man Utd fans started singing back to the fan, kick out the Ginger at which point several Man Utd fans were ejected by a steward.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I am sorry to say that Karren Brady has got her facts wrong if not her time periods.

Football was a "hot bed of racism", and at many grounds the National Front were a fixture. I wouldn't say the East End was any different from most inner cities across the country.

I work a lot with Red Card Against racism and it seems to have been at its worst around the "hooligan" period often politically motivated.

If you ask Leroy Rosenior, he will tell you it was worse at away grounds although some of our lot were equally ignorant. Shaka Hislop told me of fans abusing him at UP and when he turned up at a nearby petrol station to fill up his car the same fans asked him for an autograph. It seemed as if inside the ground all bets were off.

I don't remember ever seeing a player "showered" with bananas, although I have seen bananas thrown.

For balance though Christian Roberts, John Barnes and others will tell of similar problems.

It still exists today, and at Blackburn vs Man Utd, a couple of years ago as a guest I heard some Blackburn supporters abusing the black Man Utd players, led by a vocal ginger haired youth. The Man Utd fans started singing back to the fan, kick out the Ginger at which point several Man Utd fans were ejected by a steward.
I appreciate what you was saying. Back in the 70s, the NF would try to recruit outside football grounds. Support was never really given at West Ham, and certainly not at the level it was at Chelsea. During the days of the ICF, I can think of at least 3 prominent ICF members that were black.

There has always been racism in football and the community, but to say the East End, and West Ham, was a hot bed of racism is both a lie and an insult.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

i remember the twats selling that **** paper nf news ****ing muckworms
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1985 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cheers mate...

I was there in and around all of that time and Besty was a hero because he was a good player. I like to think we accepted players in general on their abilities. Yes, racism was, and still is, rife in places but I think that we were one of the ones that accepted players of colour easier than a lot.

Rain of bananas ? Be interesting to read what the great man has to say about it..

And BFS bigging up the crowd ? Wasn't it just a short time ago that he was bollocking us for not appreciating the team when the crowd gave the team few boos wasn't it against Bristol City ??? ??? Cor some people's memories are very selective...
Come_On_You_Irons

Post by Come_On_You_Irons »

cockney hammer wrote: sadly i remember cyrille regis saying he could of opened a fruit and veg stall with the stuff he had thrown at him at upton park :thdn:
I can remember our fans shouting "Leave the club you bl*ck b*stard" to George Parris in the first games I went to with my dad in the late 80's early 90's.
Last edited by Come_On_You_Irons on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Karren telling us what racist fans we used to be and Sam telling us what we want at the Boleyn ('winning football')

Sigh.

Whilst a massive amount seems to have changed for the better at the club these continued noises do take the gloss off for me somewhat - karren with her 'it was **** before I was here' self publication (I think she'll find there is some more work to do before we can compare where we are now with 70's or 80's) and Sam and his 'we're playing great football' brainwash attempts.

Cheers CH :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 807 likes
Total likes: 3020 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I've mentioned it in the KB thread but it bears repeating .

I do not believe it is appropriate for the clubs vice chair to publish her column in a National newspaper .
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

THE SUN: Wayne Rooney has slammed calls for the sacking of Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas. Also: Andre Villas-Boas would rather quit Chelsea than work with Guus Hiddink. Also: Fabio Capello insists he is not talking to Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala.

DAILY MAIL: : Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas last night admitted for the first time that he is fighting to save his job.

DAILY MIRROR: Andre Villas-Boas last night conceded he is fighting to keep his job after Chelsea's nightmare slump.

DAILY EXPRESS: . Also: Andre Villas-Boas has admitted he is fighting for his job as manager of Chelsea.

DAILY STAR: Andre Villas-Boas last night admitted he WILL face the sack if Chelsea's slump continues. Also: Luis Suarez has been granted more time by the FA to prepare his defence against allegations of racism.

THE GUARDIAN: A defiant Andre Villas-Boas has claimed he does not need Guus Hiddink's help to transform Chelsea's season and that Roman Abramovich is still fully supportive despite a dire run of form that will become three consecutive defeats if Wolverhampton Wanderers win at Stamford Bridge this afternoon.

THE INDEPENDENT: Roberto Mancini yesterday insisted that he would not buy another striker in January, despite Manchester City's Spanish scout having met Napoli's Edinson Cavani this week and Milan contacting the manager directly to discuss Carlos Tevez.

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: Chelsea players have been told by the board that Andre Villas-Boas enjoys the total backing of the club's owner, Roman Abramovich.

THE TIMES: Andre Villas-Boas believes that he has the full backing of Roman Abramovich and his Chelsea players after meetings this week to discuss an alarming slump.
Starkey

Post by Starkey »

I'm sorry but the leaflet campaign is flawed in my opinion. Can't ask for a simple yes or no when you cant analyse a full and comprhensive business case for Stratford including the pros and cons for both staying at UP and moving to Stratford.

I would vote for THAT.
WestHamIFC

Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand 'considering return to West Ham

Post by WestHamIFC »

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/882952-man ... o-west-ham

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand is being linked with a return to West Ham, the club where he started his career as a 14-year-old schoolboy.

The former England captain has 18 months still to run on his contract at Old Trafford, but there is speculation that he could be shipped out at the end of the current campaign.

Rio Ferdinand's days at Manchester United could be coming to an end (Getty)

While big-money moves to the US or the Middle East are likely to be options for the centre-back, he is believed to be considering a switch back to east London.

Goal.com has revealed that Ferdinand, 33, still holds the Hammers close to his heart and rents a private box at their Upton Park home, which he uses whenever he is in the capital. He is also good friends with David Gold and David Sullivan, West Ham's co-owners, who have spoken to him about making a romantic return.

Ferdinand has found his position in the United team under increasing threat, with the likes of Nemanja Vidic, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling all at times preferred to the ex-Leeds man.

How far he falls down Sir Alex Ferguson's defensive pecking order will be a key factor in speeding up a departure from the club and a source close to the player said he will agree to leave if the Scot tells him his first-team days are over.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Re: Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand 'considering return to West Ham

Post by cockney hammer »

done it in the news thread mate :thup:
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

I would have him back if he wasn't on huge wages
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

He is not good enough for Man United anymore and I have been saying this for the last 2 years. Gone is his pace and gone is his judgement too. From what I have seen of him in the centre of their defence, I have felt sorry for him being thrust in there by Fergie Too often exposed, by clever forwards, only too mindful of this, he shouldn't be anywhere near their first team, but would I take him back for us? Hell yes
Hackney Hammer

Post by Hackney Hammer »

No thanks.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Hackney Hammer wrote:No thanks.
Agree mate, we should be going after younger players not old ones who are after one last payday.
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

His name is Rio... used to love hearing that sung.

Thanks CH West ham legend.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

RyanWHUFC wrote:... we should be going after younger players not old ones who are after one last payday.
Faye won't be good enough for next season and I'm convinved the owners would like some experience yet still for the young-uns.