saturday's news 14th jan includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's news 14th jan includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Karren Brady’s football diary

WOKE up this morning having learned two new things about my husband Paul.

The previous night I had attended the match between Paul's team Burton Albion and Accrington Stanley — whose supporters unfurled a huge banner which read: 'We're the club that refuses to die'.

Not marketing genius, but there you go.

I sat behind the dugout and could hear every cough and splutter.

Firstly, I discovered Paul likes to swear a lot during games and, secondly, he can whistle. Even after our many years of marriage, I never realised he could do either so skilfully.

Afterwards, a lady came up to me in the directors' box and said "Your son is sooooo handsome." I was stunned, as he's still only a schoolboy.

I'd mis-heard. She actually said "Your Sam is so handsome." As my assistant manager who was also at the game with me pointed out, Sam Allardyce has been called many things by many people over the years...

SUNDAY, JAN 8

SAM and the team lost at Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup.

With a stack of injuries and the main objective being promotion I could see why Sam made lots of changes but, still, it was a shame.

As for James Tomkins supposedly putting in a transfer request which one paper reported — not on Sam's watch he hasn't.

James is an extremely polite, likeable young man and still has 2½ years left on his contract.

MONDAY, JAN 9

THIERRY HENRY and Paul Scholes have both come back to star for their clubs in the FA Cup.

Henry's winner against Leeds was a story you would only expect in a Hollywood movie. Amazing.

As for Scholes, he has been sorely missed in the Manchester United engine room.

Now, in the light of their comebacks and our injuries, I'm thinking of making Alvin Martin and Billy Bonds offers they can't refuse. Maybe even Sir Trevor B.

TUESDAY, JAN 10

MET an old colleague at a party this evening hosted by the Sunderland vice-chairman David Miliband.

When I was 18 years old and working in my first job, this former colleague was the Australian chairman of the company.

He came up to me and in his brusque Antipodean way said: "Do you have any Australian in you?"

I replied "no." His eyes lit up and he responded: "Would you like some?"

Back then, I was very naive and didn't have a clue what he meant, until many hours afterwards.

Suffice to say, he went beetroot when I reminded him of his chat-up line.

WEDNESDAY, JAN 11

ANOTHER comeback in London but this time in the dugout as Mark 'Sparky' Hughes takes over at QPR.

His record meant it was only a matter of time before another top job came along.

Hughes will also enjoy the luxury of having a few pounds to spend at the ambitious West London club.

They've had a bad run of results lately but it still came as something of a surprise to see Neil Warnock go, especially after delivering promotion last summer and taking Rangers back to the Premier League after a gap of 15 years.

Even Hughes expressed sympathy with Warnock who can consider himself very unfortunate.

THURSDAY, JAN 12

THE spirit of sacked Sky TV duo Andy Gray and Richards Keys appears to be alive and kicking in East Anglia.

After Ipswich lost at Birmingham, Paul Jewell claimed they had not been given a stonewall penalty. "Everyone to a man thought it was a penalty, but not a woman."

Assistant referee Amy Fearn's crime was not to award a spot-kick. But then neither did referee Robert Lewis. And what has the fact that she is a woman got to do with it?

Amy defused the situation by simply saying Jewell's comments were water off a duck's back. I look forward to her promotion to the Premier League.

FRIDAY, JAN 13

WOKE up on Friday the 13th not with a scare, but a sense of surprise.

What has Avram Grant got that makes club chairmen keep giving him jobs?

Our former manager, who took us down last season and Portsmouth the year before, has just landed the job at Partizan Belgrade — one of the biggest clubs in eastern Europe.

All I can say is that Avram must have one hell of an agent.

the sun

It’s the end of the Rhodes for Sam

SAM ALLARDYCE has written off his chances of landing Huddersfield hotshot Jordan Rhodes this month after having a £3million bid for the 27-goal striker rejected.

West Ham boss Allardyce admitted: "At the moment I would say, yes, we have given up on that."

the mail

Helping hand: Frederic Piquionne will hope to avoid two successive relegations

Piquionne joins Wolves in a bid to help them avoid the drop

Wolves signed striker Frederic Piquionne, 33, on a free transfer from West Ham.

The one-time France international was available of a cut-price fee
. Image

the telegraph

A private investigator retained by Tottenham Hotspur who obtained West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady’s telephone records at the height of the Olympic Stadium bidding process has been arrested on suspicion of fraud offences.

Howard Hill, a former partner at accountancy firm PKF, was arrested on Wednesday in Cheshire and taken into custody. Police searched a residential address and removed documents.

PKF and Hill, a senior corporate investigator, were engaged by Tottenham to carry out unspecified investigations at the culmination of the bidding process for the stadium, which was won by West Ham. Hill resigned from the company in December.

West Ham called in the police after an exposé appeared in the Sunday Times revealing that a director of the Olympic Park Legacy Company had undertaken paid consultancy work for the club.

The story referred to information gleaned from private telephone records, and in a civil action brought by West Ham last November PKF admitted that it did have copies of Brady’s records.

The court heard that PKF admitted Hill and two colleagues had passed the telephone records to the Sunday Times.

In a statement the Metropolitan Police said: “On 11 January 2012 a man, 57, was arrested at an address in Cheshire on suspicion of fraud offences and was taken into custody at a Cheshire police station. He was later bailed to return in Feb. 2012 pending further inquiries. As part of their inquiries detectives conducted a search of the residential property.”

On Friday night PKF said in a statement: “Howard Hill resigned from the firm on Dec 15 and we have not had any communication with him since.”

Two other men were arrested in connection with the case last November, a 29 year-old from Sussex and a 39 year-old from Surrey. Both were bailed until mid-February.

In court PKF and Hill denied being “engaged in any unlawful activity” to obtain the phone records or employing any third parties to do so.

Lawyers for Tottenham told the court that the club had not received a copy of Brady’s phone records, and in a statement denied any involvement in illegal activity.

“Tottenham Hotspur did not instruct PKF to engage in any unlawful activity and PKF have confirmed that they did not,” it said in a statement.

Baroness Ford, the chairman of the OPLC, has also alleged that her board were put under surveillance by Tottenham, a claim denied by the club, which described it as “appalling”.

the mail

Return to management: Grant had been out of work since May last year
poor sods what have you done to deserve this?

New job for Grant as ex-West Ham boss announced Partizan Belgrade manager

Serbian champions Partizan Belgrade have named Avram Grant as their new coach after sacking Aleksandra Stanojevic over a dispute with the club's board.

Grant, the former Chelsea, Portsmouth and Israel boss, returns to management a little over six months after being sacked by West Ham following their relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

Stanojevic was sacked, despite the defending Serbian champions sitting 10 points clear in the league after 15 games, after what the club described as 'violations of the statute and general laws of the club'.

A Belgrade statement read: 'The weight and breach of contractual obligations is such that there has been a permanent and complete distortion of relations and cooperation between the board of the club and Aleksandra Stanojevic and his work at FC Partizan is no longer possible.

'The board of directors is confident that Avram Grant is at the top of his profession and can achieve the results that are expected from our army of fans.'

According to reports in Serbia, Grant has been offered substantial bonuses if the club qualifies for next season's Champions League.

He steered Chelsea to the 2008 Champions League final and was in contention for the Premier League title to the last day of the season, after taking over from Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge in 2007.

But his contract was terminated at the end of the season after he missed out on both trophies to Manchester United.

He then had spells at Portsmouth and West Ham, who were both relegated under his stewardship.

Stanojevic won the Serbian league and cup double last season and also took Partizan to the Champions League group stage for the first time since 2003.

But he fell out with Djuric along with former managing director Mladen Krstajic, who was sacked on Boxing Day after a long-term conflict with the president.

Grant had been out of work since his Upton Park sacking in May 2011.

The Serbian first division resumes on March 3.

offricial site

portsmouth match preview

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20120113/ ... 84_2573433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tottenham are battling to keep Jermain Defoe after the striker complained about a lack of playing opportunities.
Times (subscription needed)

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has offered David Beckham the opportunity to return to the Premier League with Tottenham on a two-month deal.
Metro

Queens Park Rangers are to submit an improved bid of £3.5m for the transfer-listed Chelsea defender Alex.
the Guardian

QPR are also lining up a loan move for former Portsmouth and Sunderland midfielder Sulley Muntari. The Ghana midfielder's contract with Inter Milan expires at the end of the season.
Daily Star

Brazil Under-20 star Henrique is set to join QPR on an 18-month loan deal.
Lancenet (in Portuguese)

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes has confirmed the club's interest in Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez but he concedes that pulling off the deal remains "highly unlikely".
Metro

Argentina international Tevez is willing to take a 40% pay cut, to £120,000-a-week, to force through a transfer to Italian side Inter Milan this month.
Goal.com

Chelsea and Manchester United have been given a major boost in their pursuit of Lille's Belgian star Eden Hazard after he let it be known he would be interested in a move to the Premier League.
Daily Mail

Aston Villa are considering a loan move for Slovenia midfielder Armin Bacinovic, who plays for Italian club Palermo.
Daily Mail

Manchester City's Serbian full-back Aleksandar Kolarov is a target for Juventus.
Daily Mirror

Sunderland are eyeing Fulham striker Bobby Zamora as the Cottagers negotiate with Catania over Argentina forward Maxi Lopez.
Daily Mirror

Norwich City boss Paul Lambert has admitted his frustration at being unable to bolster his squad in the January transfer window.
Eastern Daily Press

Fulham have entered the race for Watford striker Marvin Sordell, and now look to be the favourites to land the England Under-21 star.
talkSPORT

Bolton are set to replace Chelsea-bound Gary Cahill with United States defender Tim Ream. The 24-year-old, who plays for New York Red Bulls, would cost around £2.5m.
Daily Mail

The agent of Real Madrid midfielder Esteban Granero has said that the 24-year-old could move to Liverpool in the summer.
International Business Times

Sir Alex Ferguson has paid tribute to Manchester City's phenomenal start to the league campaign, describing their results in the first half of the season as one of the best performances in a long time.
the Guardian

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has admitted that, although he's loving life at White Hart Lane, he would have to consider any offer he received to become England boss.
talkSPORT

New Everton signing Darron Gibson has revealed he was convinced to move to Goodison Park by former Manchester United team-mate Wayne Rooney.
Liverpool Echo

New QPR manager Mark Hughes is furious with Fulham manager Martin Jol who has accused him of lacking staying power.
Daily Mail

Bolton midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker says players no longer know how they are allowed to tackle.
Daily Mail

Chris Samba's future at Blackburn has been plunged into doubt after he missed training on Friday. The £12m-rated centre-half told a French newspaper on Thursday that he wanted to leave Ewood Park.
the Sun

Brazilian World Cup winner Rivaldo is set to join Angolan first division club Kabuscorp.

babe of the day

http://www.nuts.co.uk/images/gallery/20 ... k_176_.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 435 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Re: saturday's news 14th jan includes west ham

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Cheers, CH.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Cheers CH

If The Mail is ever to write a truthful story please let this one have legs. Please Piq f*** off. If you need a lift up to the midlands leave a message on here, I am sure you won't be short of offers.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Well done Karen. Criticise Grant for taking two clubs down, failing to recognise you appointed him after one relegation, and failed to change him when the downward trajectory was clear.......

Why not just write blah blah sexism blah blah embarass the club every week?
sion

Post by sion »

Great start to weekend if the Mail story is true.

cheers CH :thup:
Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

Cheers CH :thup:

Picky moving on? Image
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

BOTD is a treat.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Corrected for The Mail -

Helping hand: Frederic Piquionne will hope to avoid three successive relegations

CH :thup:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Does Tomkins have two and a half years left? I thought it was 18 months, but I'm sure Karren wouldn't lie...
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Claretdave wrote:Well done Karen. Criticise Grant for taking two clubs down, failing to recognise you appointed him after one relegation, and failed to change him when the downward trajectory was clear.......

Why not just write blah blah sexism blah blah embarass the club every week?
.... and whilst about it, suppose she has a word with her costume designer too. Not sure a woman of her age should be wearing that
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Pins and breasts.. :oops:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Its a fetching picture.

Just wonder whether its right to head up an article in a 'page 3 paper' where she's making a point about sexism.

But what would I know? I'm not a successful businesswoman.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

'All I can say is that Avram must have one hell of an agent.'

So have you Karren. He's called David Sullivan.
blaze.s8n
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by blaze.s8n »

Bye Piq. You could've done much better, if you weren't so lazy. 2 goals in 20 apps...in the championship! :clap:
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

prophet:marginal wrote:Its a fetching picture.

Just wonder whether its right to head up an article in a 'page 3 paper' where she's making a point about sexism.

But what would I know? I'm not a successful businesswoman.
For the naive among you, the pictures used are not picked Ms Brady but rather by our erstwhile colleague CH.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I don't buy the Sun, Dapablo, so would have had no way of knowing that.

I actually asked once re the source of the picture and got no response.

Can I ask what erstwhile means in the context of your message? Has he been fired in the last ten or so minutes?
Last edited by prophet:marginal on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

I thought Brady's comments (if actually her's and not ghosted) on Grant were pathetic and lacked class both on her part and that of the club. I didn't realise that she was not involved in his appointment at West Ham.
kaybee15

Post by kaybee15 »

dapablo wrote:
For the naive among you, the pictures used are not picked Ms Brady but rather by our erstwhile colleague CH.
I really, really hope you mean 'our ESTEEMED colleague CH' sir...
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH again. :thup:
dixie1978
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by dixie1978 »

BOTD could have been Ms B in that fine picture!