thursday's news 5th april includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

thursday's news 5th april includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Big Sam: You’re talking b******s!

SAM ALLARDYCE last night stepped up his war with West Ham fans by telling them: ‘You’re talking b******s.’

It was the manager’s latest salvo after he branded supporters ‘deluded’ over their criticism of his tactics.

And big Sam admitted he could face the chop if he does not win promotion.

That was despite vice-chairman Karren Brady’s assurance that his job will be safe if the Hammers fail to go up.

Allardyce, whose side are four points off second place, said: “Negativity has been very much in the forefront recently, which is strange because we have lost one in 12.

“You get opinions about our results like ‘James Tomkins shouldn’t be playing in midfield because he is a centre-half.’

Video: Sam: We have to win at Barnsley
Football

SAM ALLARDYCE says West Ham must win to keep automatic hopes alive

“You get all that b******s. What happens is I look at the performance of every player and say to everyone who says that: ‘You’re talking b******s.’

“He played in that holding role for three games when we had 10 men — so that is how short memories are. That is how much b******s is talked in football.

“I don’t listen to that drivel because what bothers me is that James Tomkins plays well.”

West Ham have slipped from top to third in six weeks and a major factor has been poor home form.

They lost 4-2 to promotion rivals Reading on Saturday to end a run of five draws at Upton Park.

But West Ham are better away than at home, and Allardyce is desperate for a win at Barnsley tomorrow.

the mirror

Allardyce: West Ham fans are talking b***ocks

Under-fire West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has launched a foul-mouthed attack on fans who criticise his team selection.

Big Sam labelled unhappy Hammers supporters "deluded" after a recent game against Peterborough and repeated that attack in a press conference before last week's loss to Reading.

Now, as West Ham face having to try for promotion back to the Premier League via the play-offs, he has gone further.

"Negativity around here has been very much in the forefront recently, which has been strange for me because we have lost one in 12," said Allardyce.

"You get opinions about our results like, "James Tomkins shouldn't be playing in midfield because he is a centre-half.' You get that b***ocks that goes round.

"What happens is I look at the performance of every player and say to everyone who says that, 'You're talking b***ocks.'

"He played in that holding role for three games with 10 men, so that is how short memories people have. That is how much b***ocks is talked about in football.

"I don't listen to that drivel because what bothers me is that James Tomkins plays well."

the star

SAM ALLARDYCE GOES ON SECOND FAN RANT

WEST HAM manager Sam Allardyce last night accused the club’s fans of “talking b******s” as he admitted he could be sacked if he fails to win promotion.

Big Sam’s outburst is his latest salvo after he last week branded supporters deluded over their criticism of his tactics in the Championship.

And in the week when vice-chairman Karren Brady told Allardyce his job will be safe, even if they fail to go up, the West Ham boss is bracing himself for the worst.

He said: “Negativity around here has been very much in the forefront recently, which has been rather strange for me because we have lost one in 12.

“You get opinions about our results like, ‘James Tomkins shouldn’t be playing in midfield because he is a centre-half’.

“You get all that b******s that goes around. What happens is I look at the ­performance of every ­player and say to everyone who says that, ‘You’re ­talking b******s’.

“He played in that holding role for three games with 10 men, so that is how short memories people have. That is how much b******s is talked about in football.

“I don’t listen to that ­drivel because what ­bothers me is that James Tomkins plays well.”

Allardyce is under huge pressure to go up and he believes any other club’s fans would be over the moon at their season so far.

Ahead of tomorrow’s clash against Barnsley, he said: “We have drawn too many, we know that.

“But we put ourselves in a magnificent position, which we have allowed ourselves to slip from because of a small fraction away from winning to drawing.

“But that is what the pressure of West Ham brings – everybody expects us to do well and get promoted.

“Other teams have dipped off far worse than we have. We are still in a very good position.”

Brady went public in ­saying they had the right manager in place at Upton Park.

But Allardyce added: “You never know when your job is on the line. You can never guess.”

london 24

West Ham fans split over Hammers’ hopes of automatic promotion

West Ham fans discuss all things Hammers with our correspondent Nathaniel John.

Join in the discussion on Twitter @Nathaniel_John This week, Hammers fans react to their team’s Reading defeat and whether West Ham are now destined for the play-offs.

It was a hard to take defeat because at 2-1 down we brought on a defender with three strikers left on the bench – @Holland_78

It was hard to take as we played them off the park in the first half, but didn’t kill off the opposition again. We will definitely be in the play-offs – @willoverall

We literally got to 40 minutes and self-destructed against Reading. Not something normally associated with Big Sam’s teams. It looks like the play-offs for us – @Hammers_1974

We’ve got a chance but we need to go full out and there is still a chance that Southampton or Reading will crack under the pressure – @JeganWHU

Our home form has to drastically improve if we’re to have a chance of automatic promotion. Reading have some tough fixtures, it can be done – @KwamsMoriarty

We need to win at least four games and draw two to get automatic promotion – @Syaher_Ammers

Defeat was a kick in the teeth as we should have buried them in the first half, but somehow went in 2-1 down at half time – @DavidChapman66

Automatic promotion will only happen if players play in their proper positions and we play two up front. How can Lansbury and Maynard be only on the bench? – @rossihammer78

It’s not over until it’s mathematically impossible. The play-offs do seem more likely though, especially if we don’t beat Birmingham – @popey75

Reading have a tough run-in so I believe we still have a chance but we’ve got to worry about our own results – @GeoffGaler

We can do it but I would imagine only if we get 18 points from our six games – @pudderst

Utterly foolishly, I’m quite looking forward to the play-offs now! That said, I still think we could nab an automatic promotion place – @olliedearn

We can still do this. It’s going to be tough but we have to believe – @debmobile

It’s 50/50 as to if we can do it, but what annoys me is that some of our ‘supporters’ seem to want us to fail just so they can say ‘I told you so’ – @louisb91

We can still get automatic promotion, remember Reading still have to go to Southampton, Brighton and Birmingham –

london 24

Tony Cottee Column: Forget draws, every game is now a must-win for West Ham

There is no getting away from it, Saturday’s result at home to Reading was very, very disappointing. After the highs of securing a win at Peterborough, it looked like the Hammers had got their season back on track.

However, sloppy defensive errors gifted the Royals three vital points in their race to secure automatic promotion in West Ham’s biggest game of the season so far.

With Reading now four points clear of the Hammers it is somewhat out of their hands, but Brian McDermott’s side have a hard run-in and must still go to Southampton, Brighton and Birmingham and those games will not be easy.

And yet it started so well for West Ham, who scored in the seventh minute through Carlton Cole.

However, after that we just couldn’t get that second goal that would have killed the game off.

Instead, two defensive errors in as many minutes and Reading go bouncing in at half time with a 2-1 lead that they didn’t deserve on the first 45 minutes.

And then things went from bad to worse when we lost Mark Noble to a thigh injury.

Hopefully it won’t be too bad an injury as I think that Mark has been one of our best players this season.

Sam Allardyce decided to move James Tomkins into midfield and bring on Danny Collins in defence and I think that disrupted our flow.

Some would argue that it was a negative move when we were losing 2-1 and I would agree. James is a fantastic footballer but he is much better in defence than midfield.

The Hammers then went on to gift Reading a further two goals and I think that that is what makes the defeat so hard to take.

It wasn’t as if the Royals came to Upton Park and outplayed us, we simply gifted them the opportunities and they punished us by taking them.

The one thing that we mustn’t do is dwell on the defeat though. We have to move on and focus on the remaining six games of the season.

Allardyce has said that he is targeting six wins out of six and that is what we should be aiming for.

However, having closely looked at each of Southampton’s and Reading’s remaining games, I think that four wins and two draws could be enough to guarantee a top-two finish.

And of course, the top two are still to play each other next Friday which will be a huge game.

For now though it is important that the Hammers win at Barnsley tomorrow (Friday) and then follow that up with a big victory at home to Birmingham City on Monday.

Now is the time for the players to really stand up and be counted.

I was at Barnsley a couple of weeks ago and I saw them get beat at home by Reading 4-0, so I am confident that the Hammers can go there and do the same.

Of course, as has so often been the case this season, I expect Barnsley to come out all guns blazing against us. West Ham will just have to weather the storm like they did at Peterborough and then take their chances when they come along against a side that has had a poor run of form.

Monday’s game will be different against a side just one place below the Hammers.

Birmingham are only six points behind us and we don’t want them to narrow that gap. If we are to be in the play-offs, we need to make sure that we finish in third place.

Tony Cottee was talking to Nathaniel John

the mail

High-flying Saints eye £500,000 move for unsettled Stoke defender Upson

Southampton are ready to rescue wantaway Matthew Upson from his Stoke nightmare as manager Nigel Adkins begins plans to strengthen his squad for next season.

With six games left to play this term, the Saints lead the Championship by two points above promotion rivals Reading and six ahead of third-placed West Ham in the race to reach the Premier League.

Former Hammer Upson has been identified as one of Southampton's leading transfer targets this summer, according to The Sun, with Adkins hoping to sign him for £500,000.

One-time England international Upson, 32, is keen to quit the Britannia where he has struggled to cement a first-team place under manager Tony Pulis since his arrival from Upton Park last year.

The former Arsenal, Reading and Birmingham centre-half has started just four games in 2012 fuelling his apparent desire to seek a fresh future elsewhere.

Former France international and World Cup winner Marcel Desailly has urged Arsenal to swoop for 21-year-old Rennes sensation Yann M'Vila, at any cost. "You will see he is the best midfielder," said Desailly. "Better even than Patrick Vieira."
Jacob Butterfield

Barnsley's young captain Jacob Butterfield could be heading to Newcastle in a £2m deal

Daily Mail

Newcastle could fork out £2m for young Barnsley captain Jacob Butterfield, despite the midfielder's knee ligament injury ruling him out of action until the start of next season. The Magpies are still willing to sign the player, agree compensation with the Tykes and take up Butterfield's rehabilitation programme.

Daily Mirror

Promotion-chasing Southampton and Europe-chasing Newcastle have both made bids for Burnley's in-form striker Jay Rodriguez. Burnley manager Eddie Howe admits the 22-year-old could be on the move this summer. "I'm sure there'll be clubs looking at him," admitted Howe. "We'll wait and see on that one."

Daily Mirror

Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov, expected to leave Old Trafford in the close season, may be headed for Turkish side Galatasaray.

caughtoffside.com

Italian giants Juventus are plotting a £40m summer swoop on Manchester City for Argentine forward Carlos Tevez. The 28-year-old has been linked with big-money moves to Serie A in the past, with Inter and AC Milan previously the supposed suitors.

talkSPORT

Veteran Stoke midfielder Salif Diao has been told he can leave the Britannia at the end of the season. The 35-year-old Senegalese wants to continue playing in England as his family are settled.

talkSPORT

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has admitted the Tottenham job would interest him if Harry Redknapp vacated it to take up the role as England boss. "They are a major club with a bright future," said the former Everton defender.

Metro

Slaven Bilic fancies the job at Tottenham, should Harry Redknapp depart to lead England

However, Juventus coach Antonio Conte is apparently the real favourite for the Spurs job. The 42-year-old former Italy international midfielder has guided the Old Lady on a 30-match unbeaten Serie A streak.

Daily Telegraph

Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic, who has been out this season with a serious knee injury, says he always knew his United colleagues would win the title this season. "The manager is the best at replacing players and the team still win titles and trophies," explained Vidic. "That is why Manchester United are so special."

the Sun

Bolton manager Owen Coyle has commanded his on-loan Arsenal winger Ryo Miyaichi to rest and recuperate after a hectic period for the teenager. "There has been an awful lot asked of the kid," Coyle admitted. "We will need to get him rested up as best as we can."

Daily Mirror

Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh, 28, says he has no intention of leaving Emirates Stadium at the end of the season. "I have spoken to [Arsene] Wenger and I will stay at Arsenal," predicts the Moroccan.

Metro

Former Norwich and England goalkeeper Chris Woods has backed current Canaries stopper John Ruddy, 25, not to let talk of an international call-up affect his club performances. "He's a great reader of the game, a great presence," Woods said. "He's just proved to everyone how good a keeper he has become."

Daily Express

Leeds United manager Neil Warnock has endeavoured to lift the spirits of his squad... by taking them on a day-trip to popular North Yorkshire theme park and zoo Flamingo Land, where the average adult entry fee is £28.50.

ARSENAL, Manchester United and Liverpool are all chasing Crystal Palace whizkid Jonathan Williams.

Fulham skipper DANNY MURPHY, 35, wants to carry on playing for at least another season.

Wolves’ Irish winger STEPHEN HUNT is poised to be ruled out for the rest of the season with a hernia.

Championship

IAN HARTE is chasing a new deal at high-flying Reading. he said: “My contract expires at the end of the season so I have six games to earn a new one.

Derby boss NIGEL CLOUGH has won his fight to stop the club hiring a director of football. Chief exec Tom Glick said: “We won’t be making the appointment.”

Eddie Howe says striker JAY RODRIGUEZ may quit Burnley for the Premier League this summer. Clarets boss Howe said: “It will be hard to keep him.”

Cardiff striker ROB EARNSHAW'S move to MLS side Vancouver Whitecaps could be back on this summer.

babe of the day

http://pban.playboygirls.com/pic_Britta ... 20GG_8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: thursday's news 5th april includes west ham

Post by poplargeezer »

Cheers CH
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.

Is Allardyce losing the plot? :lol:
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers Gov

:thup:
ymcahammer

Post by ymcahammer »

Poor Sam the pressure is getting to him...
DerHammerReturns

Post by DerHammerReturns »

Extremely unprofessional from Sam here I have to say. Some of our fans may spout a load of b*llocks but to bring it into the public light in this manner, f'ing and blinding, is just not helpful. When Steve Kean was under lots of pressure and abuse at Blackburn he probably wanted to say a few things about the fans but he kept a lid on it and he was professional. Things have now got better for him but with Allardyce I would say that if we are not promoted he'll just walk out and if we are not promoted I would be happy with that. :think:
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Thanks CH.

Upson.
:lol:
Galwayman
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Galwayman »

Thanks CH....

To answer those above - yes sadly BFS crumbling in front of us.... just a matter of time now....

Upson - presume that's a typo - would suspect it's 500,000 Lira (not £'s)....
BondsOfOslo

Post by BondsOfOslo »

Thanks a lot CH

So Warnock is taking them Leedsplayers to zoo Flamingo Land :think:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Thanks CH

Big Sam appears to be cracking, and he calls us delusional?
Upson to Soton, haha! I thought he was a brilliant player who deserved better? :wink:

bondsofoslo wrote: So Warnock is taking them Leedsplayers to zoo Flamingo Land
Flamingo Land was the nuts when I was a nipper!
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Thanks CH

Sam has Lost The Plot! and with his selections and tactics long before this senseless outburst! he is a disgrace to Our Club, there is no need for it at all, I though he was big Sam?
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

For the majority of our existence we've not played this wonderful football, infact we didn't even start to play it until the early 60's and since it's been a sporadic sprinkle of what we call pretty football but Europe (Holland/Spain) and some of South America have only really ever played the lovely flowing technical stuff, ours is just mongrel version which stands out amongst the usual English physical stuff, and we've had one English player come through the ranks with a true 'unlock's defences football brain' and that was Sir Trev, the only one to come close is Devo and he was bought from the lower leagues, the rest have been imports Yossi, Berko, DiCanio.

Our best goal ever was a punt out the back to the wing, who then punted it into the box which was sublimely finished off by DiCanio.

Just a couple of pointers of how we are perceived by some outside of the Lego Towers.

Sam crumbling, losing the plot? Nah just seen us from the outside for many years and not been taken in by the bull, and he probably don't see why he should be pulled out, when we've let this facade cover up the lack of investment by this clubs previous ownerships over the years to the point where we can't keep up.
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

There's nothing like getting the fans on side, what a complete ********

Cheers CH :thup:
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

I'm gonna say it, BIG FAT SAM you are tw*t... Promotion or not your tenure at the BG has been unpleasant to say the least. I was lead to believe that you was a professional football manager yet your outbursts about our yes our club and it's supporters is nothing short of crass. Yes the booing is not nice however I thought you was bigger than the mud slinging through various media outlets you have decided to partake in.
Bad darts IMO!

Thanks CH.....
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

Side of Ham wrote:Our best goal ever was a punt out the back to the wing, who then punted it into the box which was sublimely finished off by DiCanio.
The technique Sinclair used to pass that ball on purpose to Di Canio was far from a punt into the box.

Edit: Just watched it again and i advise you do aswell. So too pick you out on this but your very wrong. Foe passes it with the side of his foot to Sinclair who then looks up and plays a perfect ball to Di Canio.

BFS is turning out to be very different to what i thought.

Cheer CH
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

unsettled Stoke defender Upson, bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, grass isn't greener after all is it you utter c**t

ta ch :thup:
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

Well clearly we havnt got the results of late, so something is wrong with the way we set out to play.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

500k for Upson? Seems a bit steep.

Thanks CH
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Upson.......the bloke with a yellow streak down his back finds another manager with the brown stuff in his eyes :D
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Nearly forgot.....thanks CH :thup: