sunday's news 13th may includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

sunday's news 13th may includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Jack back for final

The midfielder’s shoulder problem is healing quicker than anticipated and he is confident of being available for next Saturday’s Wembley showdown with Blackpool.

Collison, 23, was forced off in last Monday’s semi-final win over Cardiff with a suspected dislocated shoulder and boss Sam Allardyce declared him ‘doubtful’ for the final.

But a Hammers insider said: “Jack’s shoulder popped out but it also popped straight back in and as far as he is concerned he is there, ready and desperate to play.”

the mirror

My Blackpool rock - but we're in for Sam fight in the play-off final

West Ham have probably outspent us four to one to get to Wembley and, as one of England's biggest clubs, belong in the Premier League. Plus how I see Seismic Sunday
In with a shout: My lads can beat anybody on their day In with a shout: My lads can beat anybody on their day

I’m not planning to walk away from Wembley as a beaten man next weekend. And I am sure Sam Allardyce isn’t either.

But while my Blackpool team will be second favourites to be promoted to the Premier League when we face West Ham for the richest prize in football, there is one thing I am certain of.

If Blackpool fail to upset the odds against the Hammers in the Championship play-off final, will I be sacked? Absolutely not.

The only thing my chairman demanded from me this season was to keep Blackpool in the ­division.

That’s not to say that Karl Oyston will not be desperate to see the Tangerine dream come true for the second time in three years - anyone who knows him will tell you that he’s not the kind of bloke to turn his nose up at 90 million quid.

In fact, Mr Oyston is so careful with the cash that I reckon we will be up against a team that has a budget at least four times bigger than the one I was handed this season, despite making millions from our one ­season in the Premier League.

If the final Championship table was measured on how much money the respective managers have been given to spend, I ­reckon Blackpool would be well below halfway.

We might even by in the relegation positions!

But the one thing that I do have at Bloomfield Road is the freedom to work without any pressure from the top.

Our fans go to games with more expectancy than they used to have because of what we’ve achieved over the past three ­seasons.

Contrast that to the ­Sam’s position.

West Ham have 30,000 fans who believe they follow one of the biggest clubs in England – and they’re right.

The Hammers are one of the most famous names of the game, an academy of football that built England’s World Cup ­triumph of 1966 with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.

And in Big Sam they have a manager steeped in Premier League quality and experience.

He took Bolton to Europe, he took charge of one of the biggest clubs in England when he went to Newcastle.

He was even in the running to become England manager a few years ago – and in my opinion, the FA made a big mistake by not giving him the job.

When Big Sam arrived at Upon Park last summer, his remit was to get the Hammers back to where they belong.

That’s not to say there will only be one man under pressure at Wembley next week.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that all the pressure I work under comes from my own ­burning ambition to succeed and show people that despite what they might think of me I do have a talent for this job.

The way we beat Birmingham 3-2 over two games to reach the final makes me trust my players 100 per cent to take the biggest step of all.

To withstand Birmingham’s late onslaught and to break through the incredible wall of sound built by the St ­Andrew’s fans was an achievement in itself.

I have never witnessed an ­atmosphere like it.

And the way the ­Birmingham’s supporters clapped my team off the pitch at the end despite their own disappointment left me ­absolutely gobsmacked.

I believe life is about ­trying to make a difference – and on Saturday we have got the opportunity to make a difference to the lives of a lot of ­people.

West Ham will be big favourites.

But the team I have got can beat anybody on their day.

And I just hope with all my heart that it’s our day again at Wembley.

the star

SAM ALLARDYCE: VAZ TE’S MY £90M MAN

WEST HAM manager Sam Allardyce could return to the Promised Land on the back of a player he rescued from the “wilderness”.

Big Sam believes the stage is set for Ricardo Vaz Te to prove his big-match credentials.

And they don’t come bigger than the £90million winner-takes-all Championship Play-Off Final at Wembley on Saturday.

Allardyce’s side take on one of his many former clubs, Blackpool, with the £90m prize the amount a club going into the Premier League can expect even if they return the following season.

His lucky omen is first-team coach Wally Downes, who has secured promotion or Wembley success with ­previous clubs Reading and Southampton.

But Allardyce sees Vaz Te, 25, as another charm.

He signed him at Bolton after the youngster paid his own fare from Portugal when he was 16 to try his luck in English football.

Allardyce said: “He left his family and came to live on his own and by the time he was 18 we saw him as an exceptional talent.

“People don’t realise the enormity of doing what he did at such a young age, dealing with the change of culture and leaving the parental home.

“We gave him a really good contract and he got into the first team and started to show his ability.

“Then he picked up a serious knee ­injury that hindered his progress.

“He went on loan for a short while to Hull City but then he got cast into the wilderness.

“Sometimes that’s no bad thing but he ended up playing in Greece and with Hibs in Scotland.

“He suffered the shock of knowing, ‘I am in Greece, then Scotland and I am only earning ­hundreds of pounds instead of thousands’.

“It was the same for him at Barnsley and that ­experience is why he has matured and looks to have a really good career developing.

“There is a lot more to come from him and hopefully he will continue to prove to be a very, very good player.

“I can’t wait for the play-offs. It’s a big one-off game. It’s unique and that means two teams going head-to-head in what is a cup final. We all know what cup finals produce on a one-off basis and league results mean nothing.”

Blackpool know how to win one-off games after beating Cardiff 3-2 in the 2010 Play-Off Final – but Allardyce is sure his men can deal with the big occasion.

He added: “We lived with the pressure of being ­favourites for promotion all season. It’s just a case of trying to manage the euphoria that comes with playing in that big arena.

“The prize is massive for us and all we have strived to do all season rests on this one game.

“West Ham fans think we shouldn’t be down here in the first place and perhaps don’t have the same joy others might have at winning ­promotion.

“Every fan has a greater ­expectation than reality. But ­football isn’t in the real world, so reality doesn’t matter. It’s ­fantasy land. Football is all about dreams and the fans’ dreams are sometimes way ­beyond reality.

“For a club that has done very little in honest terms, West Ham get crowds that are bigger than you might expect.

“The fans have had fleeting moments of looking like being successful but that has ­never been ­sustained.

“But they are very passionate because as ­youngsters they have been brought up to be ­passionate about their football club.

“It’s why I came here. I wanted to gain promotion and build a team for the Premier League.

“Given enough time we can get Champions League football here in about six or seven years.

“If we don’t go up, I will not regard it as a failure. I have a two-year contract to get us up and we might do it in a year.”

the express

RICARDO VAZ TE CAN WIN £90M BATTLE

IT’S a game that is worth around £90million to the winners – and West Ham are banking on a £500,000 bargain buy who plays like Cristiano Ronaldo to pocket it for them.

Ricardo Vaz Te has made such a meteoric impact since his cut-price move from Barnsley in January that he is being compared to the Real Madrid superstar.

Now the Portuguese winger, who is displaying many of the attributes of his charismatic countryman, is set to complete a sensational comeback from a crippling injury to try to fire the Hammers back into the top flight at the first attempt by beating Blackpool in next Saturday’s Championship play-off final at Wembley.

Manager Sam Allardyce threw Vaz Te a lifeline four months ago after he remembered just how good he was when he signed him as a 16-year-old boy wonder for Bolton.

That was nearly nine years ago when the youngster followed in Ronaldo’s footsteps and left his family behind to make his fortune in England.

But the comparisons came to a cruel halt when damage to his knee ligaments turned Vaz Te’s dream into a nightmare.

We saw him as an exceptional talent at Bolton and gave him a really good contract
î

He was, as Allardyce recalls, “thrown into the wilderness”, drifting from Hull to Greece and then Hibs, in Scotland, before his old boss spotted him languishing at Barnsley – who had signed him on a free transfer only last summer.

“We saw him as an exceptional talent at Bolton and gave him a really good contract,” the Hammers boss remembered.

“But then he picked up a serious knee injury that never really got cleared up, I left and I don’t think he ever played for Bolton again.

“For a young man at a Premier League club who think they have an exceptional player on their hands he had an exceptional salary.

“Then all of a sudden he goes into the wilderness and that becomes only hundreds of pounds instead of thousands.

“That experience is why he has matured and looks to have a really good career developing.

“He has had to fight his way back and that has made the player for me. And there is still a lot more to come from him.”

Vaz Te, who has scored 11 goals in just 17 appearances in the Hammers' promotion push, is Allardyce’s surprise prize asset this season.

But no matter what the 25-year-old and his team-mates do next Saturday, the manager has warned them not to expect any thanks.

“We are expected to go up and if we don’t we will be criticised and if we do it is nothing more than we are expected to. We have to live with that,” says Allardyce.

“I told the players that from the start, not to expect too much praise because they are expected to go up.

“Whether they are capable of doing it is immaterial – they are West Ham and they are expected to do it.SDRq

Allardyce has also warned his players they will underestimate Blackpool at their peril.

“We can’t think we just have to turn up. This is a unique, one-off game that’s like a cup final and we still have to earn a place in the Premier League,” he said.

“Blackpool know the arena they are going into because they have been there before and that is an advantage to them.

“I just have to hope that it doesn’t affect any of my players adversely and frightens them a bit. The old freeze scenario can happen.

“The prize is massive for us and all we have strived to do all season rests on this one game.

west ham till i die

Cottee Praises Nolan's Role This Season!

Hammers legend Tony Cottee has identified Kevin Nolan's role as being vital this season. Cottee has been quoted as stating that:

“Kevin has had his fair share of criticism this season but I don’t think you can argue with what has been a strong season from him. “He has scored some crucial goals over the course of the season – and his work off the pitch is just as important. “I think he has been a tremendous leader for the side this season and it hasn’t been easy for him.”

There is no doubt that Nolan has contributed goals from midfield and has exercised strong leadership in his role as Club Captain. Tony Cottee's comment about Nolan having his share of criticism is surely a reference to critical comments by certain sections of Hammers supporters throughout the season. Some even suggested, at times, that he was not worthy of his place in the team!

Is that criticism unwarranted and should we, follow Cottee's lead, in recognising the importance of Nolan's role this season?

SJ. Chandos

forever west ham

Give the Big Man some credit!

Sam Allardyce has tactically mastered his way through to the final of the play-offs after watching his side thrash Cardiff City 5-0 on aggregate.

Big Sam tarnished with his “hoof ball” tag, was beginning to frustrate the Hammers faithful but is starting to win them over again, following some attractive free flowing football that has seen his West Ham side win six out of the last eight fixtures racking up an impressive twenty three goals in the process.

He has finally found a settled team and formation and it is paying dividence as the football on show in recent games has left the home faithful on their feet. The Hammers have been spraying the ball around with ease, and they find themselves one step away from promotion; Sam Allardyce’s main objective upon his arrival.

Since that famous chant “we play on the floor” away at Peterborough the style of play has been completely different to that we were experience early season. The Hammers are in the face of the opposition and when the win the ball back rather than hopelessly pumping the ball forward, they play it along the back until an opening is in evidence. This approach has seen the Irons hitting fine goal scoring touch at the right time, and finding form in front of their own fans. The partnership of Ricardo Vaz Te and Carlton Cole, as well as the fine form of Gary O’Neil has meant West Ham have found a fine balance of attack and defence. A real credit to Sam Allardyce and his coaching staff, as when the

team steps over the white line they know their role in the team.

I admit I was beginning to get frustrated with our predictability at times in games, but I have been proven wrong just at the right time, the Hammers have found some vital momentum as the season came to a close, and then followed it up with a two legged semi-final hammering (excuse the pun) of Cardiff. The stick of Sam Allardyce is finally starting to dwindle and there is even a thread on KUMB stating that “We are West Ham’s Claret and Blue army” should be changed to “We are Big Sam’s claret and blue army”. A show that he starting to slowly starting to win the faithful over. I think that most Hammers fans accepted that West Ham had to win at all cost, and professionalism over style was important, but the grumblings around the ground as a long ball was easily headed away, showed that there was still some deliberation to whether it was for the best.

But let’s be honest, Big Sam didn’t get of the best of starts endearing himself to the West Ham way, during his first press conference he slated the West Ham way, saying “as far as I’m concerned they haven’t played it for years, the recent West Ham way is losing isn’t it?” But is the new West Ham way an improvement? Professional and efficient whilst playing an attractive style of play is appealing to the fans in the stands.

Sam Allardyce is now just one step away from his objective and towards the end of the season he has done it in style. As the Hammers faithful take over Wembley, his calm and measured way will leave the fans confident of another win.

I for one think he has done a good job, and a win at Wembley on the 19th will mean he has done a superb job. He has come to a team with little confidence and quickly instilled a winning mentality, brought in a proper captain in Kevin Nolan to replace Matthew Upson, and has settled a new team down and made it a winning team and hopefully a promotion team.

Come on you free scoring rip roaring Irons!

Tweet me @Bowdenwhu.

Robin van Persie's wife has indicated the Arsenal talisman will reject any potential summer move away from the Gunners. Bouchra van Persie insists the family are happy with life in London - suggesting the Dutch striker will stay at the Emirates.

Sunday Mirror

Lille are preparing themselves for a £35m bid from Manchester City for Eden Hazard. The 21-year-old playmaker has indicated he is leaving the French side by saying on Twitter: "Two games more to play in the colours of Lille."

the Sun on Sunday

Real Madrid are prepared to pay £15m for Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic - the Blues will sell but value the 27-year-old at £20m.

the Sun on Sunday

Chelsea also face losing Brazilian defender David Luiz. The 25-year-old is interested in an approach from Barcelona and should the Spaniards table a bid, Luiz is likely to urge his club to accept it.

Sunday Times (subscription required)

Premier League new boys Reading are aiming to beat a host of clubs to Blackburn forward Junior Hoilett, 21, by making a £5m bid for the Canadian.

talkSPORT

Manchester United are considering a £10m bid for Fulham's attacking midfielder Mousa Dembele, 24.

Mail on Sunday

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was in Berlin on Saturday night to watch Japanese striker Shinji Kagawa score one goal and set another up as Borussia Dortmund beat Bayern Munich 5-2 in the German Cup final. Kagawa, 23, is also being tracked by Arsenal and Chelsea.

the Sun on Sunday

AZ Alkmaar midfielder Adam Maher, who was voted Holland's young player of the year, would be open to a move away from the club. Manchester City, AC Milan and Barcelona are reportedly interested in the 18-year-old.

nsidefutbol.com

Chelsea and Liverpool have been told to forget about trying to sign Partizan Belgrade's 18-year-old attacking midfielder Lazar Markovic during the summer transfer window.

Metro

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has been reminded by his coaching staff this week about his promise to have the club's crest tattooed on his leg if the Blues win the Premier League title.

Sunday Mirror

Mancini wants to repeat his Inter Milan success by winning seven trophies in four years at City.

the Sun on Sunday

Norwich City striker Grant Holt thinks he has done enough this season to earn himself a place in England's Euro 2012 squad.

talkSPORT
Ferdinand joined Manchester United for £30m in 2002

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has opened talks over a new contract - but has been asked to take a £50,000-a-week pay cut by the Old Trafford club.

Goal.com

Bolton manager Owen Coyle has admitted the club have been spending beyond their means as they go into a relegation decider at Stoke.

Mail on Sunday

New England manager Roy Hodgson has given the seal of approval to Wolves's appointment of Stale Solbakken as their new boss. Hodgson managed former Norway international Solbakken when he was a player at Danish side FC Copenhagen.

Express and Star

Former Blackburn caretaker boss Tony Parkes says ex-chairman Jack Walker, who was at the helm when Rovers won the Premier League title in 1995, would be "turning in his grave" at the club's current plight.

Lancashire Telegraph

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish faces crunch talks about his future with chairman Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner as the pair start their summer inquest into a season of struggle.

Birmingham Mail

Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao, fresh from scoring two goals in Wednesday's Europa League final, has gone face-to-face with Carla - a 250kg Bengali tiger - on the Spanish side's pitch.

101 Great Goals

Shakhtar Donetsk manager Mircea Lucescu was left an unhappy man after his side clinched the Ukrainian league title - because his celebrating players soaked him with water.

DALGLISH COY ON SUMMER PLANS
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is only looking to strengthen over the summer.

MARTINEZ LOOKS TO THE FUTURE
Roberto Martinez has insisted he is fully committed to Wigan.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 'COULD SWAY RVP'
Arsene Wenger feels Champions League football could persuade Robin van Persie to stay.

AGENT: TIME FOR HULK TO LEAVE
Hulk's agent thinks this is the moment for Porto to sell the striker.

VORM STAYING AT SWANSEA
Reported Arsenal target Michael Vorm has ruled out a summer move away from Swansea.

McLEISH: WE NEED MORE QUALITY
Alex McLeish admits Aston Villa will look to sign more quality players this summer.

OLSSON STALLING ON FUTURE PLANS
Jonas Olsson wants to know who West Brom's new boss is before deciding on his future.

VAN BOMMEL CONFIRMS PSV RETURN
Mark van Bommel will leave AC Milan and has revealed his intention to return to PSV Eindhoven.

STEPHEN KELLY EYES NEW DEAL
Defender Stephen Kelly will hold contract talks with Fulham next week.

LUIS ENRIQUE CONFIRMS ROMA EXIT
Luis Enrique will take a year away from football after confirming his departure as Roma coach.

SOLBAKKEN BACKED FOR WOLVES SUCCESS
Wolves have appointed the right man in Stale Solbakken, according to his former employer.

RICHARD O'KELLY LEAVES HEREFORD
Richard O'Kelly has resigned as Hereford boss following their relegation from League Two.

RANGERS TAKEOVER TALKS 'VERY ADVANCED'
Rangers' administrators are in "very advanced" talks with two interested parties.

TIME RUNNING OUT, CLAIM BLUE KNIGHTS
The Blue Knights have told Duff and Phelps time has almost run out to save Rangers.

DI MATTEO CALM OVER CHELSEA FUTURE
Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo has insisted he does not feel like a dead man walking.

REDKNAPP RUBBISHES EXODUS TALK
Harry Redknapp insists there will be no mass exodus of Tottenham's stars this summer.

SOLBAKKEN APPOINTED WOLVES BOSS
New Wolves manager Stale Solbakken is relishing the chance to revive their fortunes.

MOYES FEAR OVER SELLING PROSPECTS
Everton manager David Moyes fears he may have to sell players to keep pace.

McLEISH VOWS VILLA CAN GO FORWARD
Beleaguered Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish is defiantly planning for next season.

KEAN BRACED FOR BLACKBURN EXITS
Steve Kean is bracing himself for other clubs trying to "pick off" Blackburn's best players.

DEFOE ASKED TO LEAVE SPURS
Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe admits he asked to leave the club in January.

LOMAS OUTLINES FUTURE PLANS
St Johnstone boss Steve Lomas claims he may have to recruit a whole new team this summer.

SKACEL EXPECTING HEARTS FAREWELL
Rudi Skacel expects to leave Hearts in the summer and hopes to win the Scottish Cup beforehand.

DUNDEE UNITED: NO BIDS RECEIVED
Dundee United say they have received no bids amid reports of interest in some of their youngsters.

SHIELS WANTS DECISION OVER KILLIE FUTURE
Kenny Shiels has called for a swift conclusion to discussions over his future at Kilmarnock.

GOODWIN URGES DUTCH DUO TO COMMIT
Jim Goodwin has urged Jeroen Tesselaar and Nigel Hasselbaink to show loyalty to St Mirren.

ARNASON AIMS FOR NEW DONS DEAL
Aberdeen midfielder Kari Arnason hopes to secure a compromise deal that allows him to stay.

MASON IN DARK OVER PARS FUTURE
Gary Mason admits the Dunfermline squad are still in limbo after being relegated.

TOKELY PREPARED TO FIGHT FOR PLACE
Inverness defender Ross Tokely is determined to stay and fight for his place.

POSH WON'T GIVE LITTLE TO MILLERS
Peterborough have rejected an undisclosed offer from Rotherham for defender Mark Little.

GROVES GETS JOB ON PERMANENT BASIS
Bournemouth have appointed Paul Groves as manager on a permanent basis.

LUIS ENRIQUE LEAVING ROMA
Roma have announced that Luis Enrique will not continue in charge of the club next season.

PETERBOROUGH NET KNIGHT-PERCIVAL
Peterborough have signed Wrexham defender Nat Knight-Percival on a two-year contract.

MAGATH OPENS DOOR TO DIEGO
Wolfsburg manager Felix Magath is looking forward to welcoming Diego back with open arms.

VENKY'S RUBBISH BLACKBURN SALE TALK
Blackburn's co-owner says the club is not for sale despite relegation from the Premier League.

WENGER PLAYS DOWN M'VILA TALK
Arsene Wenger has poured cold water on reports linking Yann M'Vila with Arsenal.

DI MATTEO MUST WAIT OVER FUTURE
Roberto Di Matteo has been told his future will be decided after the Champions League final.

MARTINEZ NOT EXPECTING MOSES EXIT
Roberto Martinez doesn't expect any of his contracted players to leave Wigan this summer.

SOLBAKKEN PLAYS DOWN WOLVES LINK
Stale Solbakken has refused to confirm or deny if he is in England for talks with Wolves.

JUAREZ SET FOR CELTIC EXIT
Celtic boss Neil Lennon says Mexico international Efrain Juarez is set to leave.

SERGIO DECISION SET FOR JUNE
The future of Hearts manager Paulo Sergio may not be clear until next month.

MAGENNIS EXTENDS ABERDEEN DEAL
Northern Ireland international Josh Magennis has signed a one-year extension at Aberdeen.

JIM JEFFERIES: I WON'T JUMP SHIP
Jim Jefferies has no qualms about staying at Dunfermline despite their relegation.

BURTON HAND REINS TO ROWETT
Gary Rowett has been confirmed as League Two Burton's permanent new manager.

NESTA TO LEAVE AC MILAN
World Cup-winning defender Alessandro Nesta will leave AC Milan at the end of the season.

ADVOCAAT CONFIRMED AS PSV COACH
Dick Advocaat has been appointed head coach of PSV Eindhoven on a one-year deal.

SLAVEN BILIC TO LEAVE CROATIA JOB
Slaven Bilic will step down as coach of Croatia's national team after Euro 2012.

FENLON PUTS OFF HIBS SQUAD TALKS
Pat Fenlon is set to wait until after the Scottish Cup final to reform his Hibernian squad.

FORBES TO LEAVE FIR PARK
Motherwell midfielder Ross Forbes has revealed he will leave Fir Park this summer.

HUGHTON COY ON BLUES EXIT TALK
Chris Hughton dismissed talk of his future after Birmingham's Championship play-off exit.

O'NEILL TO ASSESS MEYLER OPTIONS
Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill has promised to address midfielder David Meyler's situation this summer.

SHIELS KEEN TO EXTEND KILLIE DEAL
Kenny Shiels expects to discuss his future as Kilmarnock manager next week.

BUTCHER URGES HAYES TO STAY
Terry Butcher has told Jonny Hayes to remain a central figure at Inverness and reject a move.

SAUNDERS EYES UP 'INTERESTING' REEVES
Doncaster manager Dean Saunders has expressed an interest in Altrincham striker Damian Reeves.

WILLIAMS SIGNS NEW PALACE DEAL
Crystal Palace starlet Jonathan Williams has been rewarded with a new five-year deal.

CLINGAN COVENTRY EXIT CONFIRMED
Coventry have confirmed Sammy Clingan will leave this summer after failing to agree a new deal.

WARNOCK TELLS LEEDS TRIO TO HURRY
Leeds boss Neil Warnock has told three players to make a decision soon on their futures.

FREIBURG SWOOP FOR KRUSE
Freiburg have made their first signing of the summer with midfielder Max Kruse arriving from St Pauli.

STEVE KEAN: I'M HERE TO STAY
Steve Kean insists he is at Blackburn for the long haul and denies he has lost the dressing room.

NEW GERS DEAL COULD BE DONE THIS WEEK
Rangers' administrators expect to know on Thursday whether a deal can be done this week.

RAUL HEADING TO QATAR
Qatari club Al Sadd have confirmed the signing of former Spain striker Raul from the start of next season.

PEP GUARDIOLA SIGNS OFF WITH DRAW
A review of the weekend's action so far in the Spanish Primera Liga.

GUARDIOLA SIGNS OFF WITH DRAW
Seydou Keita earned Barcelona a 2-2 draw with Real Betis in Pep Guardiola's final game.

Davis hails players' composure
Crewe boss Steve Davis hailed his players' composure after their win over Southend in the first leg of their League Two play-off semi-final.

DAVIS PRAISES PLAYERS AFTER NARROW WIN
Post-match reaction to Crewe's 1-0 victory over Southend.

SOCIEDAD END SEASON WITH WIN
Real Sociedad ended the Primera Division with a 1-0 victory over Valencia.

DORTMUND ROUT BAYERN FOR DOUBLE
Borussia Dortmund thrashed Bayern Munich 5-2 in the DFB-Pokal final to secure the double.

Alex earn narrow advantage
Adam Dugdale's header earned Crewe a 1-0 advantage over Southend in the first leg of their League Two play-off semi-final at Gresty Road.

NARROW WIN FOR CREWE
Crewe beat Southend 1-0 to take the advantage in their League Two play-off semi-final.

BROWN FEELS THE FRUSTRATION
Post-match reaction to the 0-0 draw between Aberdeen and St Mirren.

BUTCHER WANTS TO KEEP GOING
Post-match reaction to Inverness' 2-0 victory over Hibernian.

SHIELS REVEALS ENGLISH INTEREST
Post-match reaction to Kilmarnock's 2-1 victory over Dunfermline.

AGENT: TIME FOR HULK TO LEAVE
Hulk's agent thinks this is the moment for Porto to sell the striker.

VAN BOMMEL CONFIRMS PSV RETURN[url]
Mark van Bommel will leave AC Milan and has revealed his intention to return to PSV Eindhoven.

FA TROPHY JOY FOR YORK
York beat Newport 2-0 to win the FA Trophy final at Wembley.

KILLIE SECURE WIN WITH LATE SHOW
A review of Saturday's action in the Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League.

Grayson delighted by victory
Simon Grayson hailed Huddersfield's 2-0 play-off semi-final first leg win at MK Dons as the Terriers' best display since he took over.

GRAYSON DELIGHTED WITH VICTORY
Post-match reaction to Huddersfield's 2-0 victory over MK Dons.

MATUIDI ENJOYS 'GREAT SEASON'
Blaise Matuidi says this has "been a great season" for PSG before the Rennes game.

CORREA: EVIAN ARE NOT THUGS
Evian boss Pablo Correa says his side are not thugs ahead of the game at Nice

babe of the day

http://hostedgalleries.adult.com/galler ... to/008.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: sunday's news 13th may includes west ham

Post by prophet:marginal »

:thup: Nice one CH
party iron

Post by party iron »

Cheers ch :thup:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Morning CH thanks for that. Can't help reflecting that though the £90m is talked up it never does any promoted clubs any good as they have to splash it all to have any hope of staying in the safety zone. Newcastle seem to have built something mind. Anyway, onward to glory and greater TV coverage!
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

:thup: Cheers CH. Sunday mornings just wouldn't be the same..coffee and the footie news. Sterling effort as always!!
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

cheers Ch good work as alaays.. Yeah the £90 M chesnut comes out again-- you can get there fairly easily, however if you think that its over four-five years, and nolan's contract alone is north of £10 Million over the same period, it can soon go!

We need stability, and before everyone said we had stability with curbs, I mean stability in terms of a settled team & squad & a coupld of gloriously tedious 9 -12 th places!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

MAIL ON SUNDAY

Sir Alex Ferguson has warned neighbours Manchester City that their title challenge has made him feel three years younger and only increased his desire to continue as manager at Old Trafford.

Also: John Terry is still sweating on his place in England's Euro 2012 squad, with the former captain expected to receive a call from new manager Roy Hodgson tomorrow to discuss whether he will be in the final 23.
papers
THE SUN

Roberto Mancini cranked up the heat on Alex Ferguson by vowing to win seven trophies in four years.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Roberto Mancini will be challenged by his staff to honour a title tattoo promise.

Also: Liverpool are preparing for life after Kenny Dalglish.
DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Liverpool's US owners are hugely impressed with Wigan boss Roberto Martinez.

Also: Sir Alex Ferguson and Roberto Mancini both hope to have something to laugh about at just before 5pm today.
DAILY EXPRESS

Sir Alex Ferguson has warned Premier League champions elect Manchester City: 'You don't frighten us.'

THE SUNDAY TIMES

Also: The position of Kenny Dalglish as Liverpool manager is under review.
THE OBSERVER

Also: Sir Alex Ferguson fears the noisy neighbours may be about to turn up the volume.
SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted that the odds are stacked against his Manchester United side.

THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY

Sir Alex Ferguson has sent a defiant message to his club`s rivals: 'We`re not going away and I`m not either'.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Cheers CH.
Let's hope this time next week we are reading the reports of a win! :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Liverpool's US owners are hugely impressed with Wigan boss Roberto Martinez.

Former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is part of a consortium trying to rescue Rangers.

Middlesbrough centre-back Stephen McManus is a target for Bristol City.

Crystal Palace want to snap up Preston striker Jamie Proctor.

Liverpool are set to make Wigan midfielder Momo Diame their first signing of the summer.

David Moyes will fight tooth and nail to keep hold of Leighton Baines amid interest from Manchester United and Bayern Munich.

Former Acrington Stanley chairman Ilyas Khan wants to buy Blackburn.

THE SUN

Vincent Kompany will be rewarded with a five-year £120,000-a-week deal after leading Manchester City to the brink of the title.

Steve Kean will plead for his job when he meets Blackburn's owners next week.

Jose Mourinho will raid former club Chelsea for Bosnian defender Branislav Ivanovic this summer.

Spurs have stepped up their bid to sign £16million Marseille striker Loic Remy.

Anthony Gerrard is a £350,000 target for both Leicester and Ipswich.

Millwall's Hamer Bouazza looks set to quit the club.

Sheffield Wednesday are poised to snap up Caolan Lavery.

Manchester City have been given the green light to launch a £35million raid for Eden Hazard.

THE PEOPLE

Gareth Bale wants to join Real Madrid if Spurs fail to qualify for the Champions League.

Liverpool are considering a dramatic shake-up with Roberto Martinez hot favourite to take over as boss from Kenny Dalglish.

Liverpool are ready to make Wigan enforcer Momo Diame their first summer signing.

Paul Scholes will go on holiday before deciding whether to play on next season.

Steve Kean will ask Blackburn's owners for a new backroom team as he plots a return to the Premier League.

Randy Lerner wants a director of football at Aston Villa - and Damien Comolli is in prime position for the job.

Joe Cole could be a shock inclusion in England's Euro 2012 squad.

Atletico Madrid's Colombian hotshot Radamel Falcao is Chelsea's new top target.

Newcastle stasr Hatem Ben Arfa is a target for Inter Milan.

Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill is tracing Chelsea left back Ryan Bertrand.

Middlesbrough want Portsmouth striker Luke Varney, who has already held talks with Leeds.

Reading have agreed a deal to sign Nottingham Forest's Garath McCleary.

Southampton are keen on Wolves winger Michael Kightly.

Everton will try to sign Jamie Mackie if QPR are relegated.

Scott Dann will leave Blackburn this summer and could finally end up at Aston Villa.

Crystal Palace boss Dougie Freedman is determined to win the race for Manchester United's 19-year-old hot shot Will Keane.

Stoke want Wigan striker Franco Di Santo.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Liverpool are preparing for life without Kenny Dalglish.

Sir Alex Ferguson flew into Berlin on Saturday to check out Borussia Dortmund star Shinji Kagawa.

Ritchie De Laet and Matty James are heading to Leicester in a £2million double deal.

Former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is one of the backers behind an English consortium linked with a move for Rangers.

Roy Hodgson has persuaded Ben Foster to come out of international retirement.

Martin Olsson is being lined up as the £7million successor to Ashley Cole at Stamford Bridge.

MAIL ON SUNDAY

John Terry is sweating on his place in England's Euro 2012 squad.

Manchester United are considering a £10million bid for Fulham's attacking midfielder Mousa Dembele.

SUNDAY EXPRESS:

Sir Alex Ferguson has warned Premier League champions elect Manchester City: "You don't frighten us."

SUNDAY TIMES:

The position of Kenny Dalglish as Liverpool manager is under review.

THE INDEPENDENT:

Sir Alex Ferguson has sent a defiant message to his club`s rivals: "We`re not going away and I`m not either".

SUNDAY MAIL:

Charles Green last night promised Rangers fans he wasn't another Craig Whyte after revealing he's been named the club's preferred bidder.

Rangers skipper Steve Davis is a target for Southampton.

Craig Levein has closed the Scotland door on Steven Fletcher.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

smuts wrote:Cheers CH.
Let's hope this time next week we are reading the reports of a win! :

i thought that when i was doing the round up mate :thup:
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

thanks CH as always for your hard work for us." COME ON YOU IRONS" :raver:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

the mirror

Hammered! West Ham will need almost entire new team if they go up warns Dicks

Club legend writes off everybody apart from Green, Noble and Tomkins as not good enough for the Prem AND criticises Allardyce's tactics
Happy Hammers: But Dicks warns promotion would have to spark a clear-out Happy Hammers: But Dicks warns promotion would have to spark a clear-out

Sam Allardyce has been warned he will need to significantly bolster his West Ham squad merely to survive in the Premier League if the Hammers gain promotion.

Club legend Julian Dicks is adamant that ­Allardyce will need a massive transfer kitty to bring in new faces and ship out the dead wood.

In a frank assessment of his former club, Dicks has blasted some of the ­current crop of stars and insists only THREE ­players have the credentials to make an impact in the top flight.

Dicks also hit out at the style of play that Allardyce has ­employed since he took control and ­accused some of his players of being out of touch with supporters.

Allardyce’s outfit face a make-or-break play-off clash with Blackpool, with the promotion-clinching encounter worth up to £90million to the victors.

And while Dicks has ­applauded the team's ­arrival on the brink of success, he says drastic action would be needed in the summer to create a squad that could flourish at the next level.

Dicks said: “Every ounce of my being will be backing West Ham to get ­promoted.

“Allardyce has done what has been asked and we still have the chance to get back to the ­Premier League after missing automatic promotion.

“But the football he has West Ham playing isn’t the best and I have come away from games frustrated at the lack of quality and desire and scratching my head at the tactics.

“Next season concerns me - if we go up. Out of the squad he has at his ­disposal, only three players are really good enough to make a ­difference at the top level - keeper Rob Green, young midfielder Mark Noble and defender James Tomkins.

"People talk about Kevin Nolan and Carlton Cole, but I’m not so sure they are up to it.”

Out of my league? Dicks isn't convinced Nolan can still hack it in the top flight
Clive Mason

Dicks, who made 315 ­appearances for West Ham in two stints at the club, says some of the inept displays by highly-paid players have left him angry and sympathetic ­towards the paying public.

He added: “West Ham have amazing fans and they are being let down in many ways. Some players go through the motions, collect their wages and leave the ground in their flash ­motors without even an ­autograph for waiting fans.

“They are out of touch with the real fans and have no ­affinity with the club.

"At West Ham that is ­important, the fans demand it.”
cowelly2006

Post by cowelly2006 »

Thanks CH.

Annoying that he mentioned Champions League football. We won't manage it in 6-7 years, this needs to be corrected to, "we can reach the champions league with £500 million"
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Cheers Ch.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Family Ties: Mrs RVP with the news that every Arsenal fan wants to hear

Eastern promise: Fergie pays personal check on Japan star Kagawa

Cole v 2.0: Chelsea enter chase for in-demand Blackburn defender

The £70m man? Juventus to make massive move for Arsenal's Van Persie

Ba-rgaining chip: Europe will help Toon attract more stars, says Pardew

Spur of the moment: Tottenham step up chase for Marseille striker

Clint not going Eastward: Fulham boss insists US star is not for sale

Fox hunt: United agree deal to sell two starlets to Leicester

Old School: Veteran Davies won't be short of offers to play on, says Pulis

Walk on... Frustrated Skrtel wants to leave Liverpool (report)

In-demand Lille star Eden Hazard has Tweeted he only has two games left for the club (The Sun)

Real Madrid will offer £15m for Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic (The Sun)

Manchester United could offer £10m for Fulham's Mousa Dembele (Mail on Sunday)

Spurs will step up their bid for £16m Marseille striker Loic Remy (The Sun)

Chelsea defender David Luiz wants to move to Barcelona (Sunday Times)

Manchester City will offer skipper Vincent Kompany a new five-year, £120k-a-weel deal (The Sun)

Chelsea and Liverpool have been warned off Partizan Belgrade's 18-year-old attacking midfielder Lazar Markovic (Metro)

West Ham will move for Blackburn's Scott Dann if they're promoted (Daily Mail)

Rio Ferdinand has been told to take £50K-a-week pay cut if he wants a new Man United contract (Goal.com)

Reading are hoping to land Blackburn forward Junior Hoilett for £5m (talkSPORT)

Manchester City, AC Milan and Barcelona are tracking AZ Alkmaar's 18 year-old star midfielder Adam Maher (Insidefutbol.com)
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

cowelly2006 wrote: Annoying that he mentioned Champions League football. We won't manage it in 6-7 years, this needs to be corrected to, "we can reach the champions league with £500 million"
He also said this in the same article....... But ­football isn’t in the real world, so reality doesn’t matter. It’s ­fantasy land. Football is all about dreams and the fans’ dreams are sometimes way ­beyond reality.

We can dream cant we...... :D
Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

Cheers CH :thup:

Julian popping up at just the right time Image
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Agree with Cottee about Nolan at first struggled to warm to him but have been very impressed with a true leader for once, makes a change from wimps like Upson etc.
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

Cheers CH, have a great day :thup: