wednesday's news 20th june includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

wednesday's news 20th june includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Big Sam ups Holt offer

WEST HAM last night increased their bid for Grant Holt to £5.5million in an attempt to test Norwich’s resolve.

The Hammers’ initial offer of £3m was turned down.

Boss Sam Allardyce wants Holt, who scored 17 goals last season, to beef up his forward line following promotion to the Premier League.

The deal starts at £3.5m but goes up by £2m on appearances.

City have already turned down a transfer request made by Holt at the end of the season.

the sun

READING plan to battle West Ham for Sochaux striker Modibo Maiga.

The French club have rejected a £4million Hammers bid and now Royals officials are set to move for the 24-year-old Mali ace.

ventura county star

Winston Reid turns down Olympic Games spot

All Whites' defender Winston Reid has chosen club over country, turning down the chance to represent New Zealand at the London Olympics.

Reid was set to be named as one of three over-age players - along with Ryan Nelsen and Shane Smeltz - in the New Zealand under-23 team to take part in the Games.

Instead he will turn his focus to cementing his spot in the first team of his newly-promoted English Premier club West Ham United.

West Ham are set to embark on three-game preseason tour of Europe at the same time as the Olympic tournament.

Reid told Radiosport he, not West Ham manager Sam Allardyce, had made the decision to withdraw from selection.

"At the end of the day it was my decision and I felt what I was doing was the right decision."

"I'm not saying I didn't want to go to the Olympics or play for New Zealand, because I would have loved to, but I've got other commitments right now and in the long run that will hopefully benefit myself and New Zealand as well," he said.

Reid joined West Ham from Danish club FC Midtjylland at the end of 2010/11 season.

He made four starts that season as the club were relegated from the Premier League to The Championship.

He cemented a starting spot last season as West Ham climbed back into the top flight and is determined to be regular feature in the Premier League this season.

"It would be different if I'd been at the club for six or seven years and I'd been playing regularly then maybe I could have done it, but I needed to work hard this pre-season and make sure the spot's mine at West Ham," he said.

Reid said he had discussed the dilemma with All Whites' captain and fellow Premier League defender Nelsen.

"I've text Nelly (Nelsen) a couple of times in the past weeks, you could say that maybe I'm in the same circumstances as he was a couple of years back. Of course I'd love to be at the Olympics, but I'll hopefully get the opportunity to take part in one later on in my career."

west ham till i die

A Day of Pouring Cold Water on Hot Transfer Rumours!

Yesterday saw a lot of cold water poured on some of the hottest West Ham transfer rumours. Firstly, it emerged that Yakubu might not be headed down Upton Park way, but rather off to the far more lucrative Chinese League. Then, WBA publicly denied that Jonas Olsson was leaving the club for West Ham or anywhere else. And finally, the Crystal Palace Chairman maintained that there had not been any contact with West Ham over a possible deal for Wilfred Zaha! So, what do we make of these very public denials? Is it just the selling clubs 'playing games' ahead of a deal, perhaps with a view to drumming alternative interest and a possible auction to drive up the transfer fee? Or do our transfer targets, in reality, lie elsewhere?

On the plus side, reports continue to insist that Mo Diame will sign for the club in the next few days.

Elsewhere, congratulations to Hodgson and England on topping their Euro 2012 group and reaching the quarter-finals. Hodgson is a vastly experienced manager, who knows how to organise a side and get the maximum out of his players. He has got them in to a system that they clearly understand and feel comfortable with and it is starting to show. It was not a great performance against the Ukraine, but (a bit like West Ham in the play-off Final) Hodgson's England Team dug in, fought and emerged as winners. Lets hope that they gel further as a team in advance of the quarter-final match with Italy.

Italy will be a challenge, but not as great a one as the Spanish. England are now at the business end of Euro 2012 and Italy, Germany and Spain probably stand between us and the title. It will be tough, but all you can ask is that England play with the organisation and skill to restore some pride after the World Cup debacle in South Africa. Even if we do not win, hopefully this competition will see the Three Lions finally turn the corner to better times.

SJ.Chandos.

clubcall

West Ham to miss out on forward

West Ham are set to miss out on the signature of Blackburn striker Yakubu, who is set to move to China.

The former Everton and Middlesbrough forward, who scored 17 goals last season, wants to leave Rovers after they were relegated to the Championship.
Hammers boss Sam Allardyce was hoping to take advantage of a £1million release clause in the Nigeria striker's contract and take him to Upton Park.
However, reports today suggest that the 29-year-old has opened talks with Chinese club Guangzhou.
The forward is expected to fly to the Far East on Wednesday to finalise the deal, meaning West Ham will have to turn their attentions elsewhere for striking options.

team talk

No contact from Hammers

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish insists the club have had no contact from West Ham about sought-after winger Wilfried Zaha.

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce has been heavily linked with 19-year-old Zaha as he looks to strengthen his squad following their promotion back to the Premier League.

Zaha is one of the hottest properties outside the top flight, scoring nine goals last term on his way to being named the Championship's young player of the year.

But Palace tied him down to a five-year contract in December and Parish says the Hammers have not been in touch.

He wrote on Twitter: "We haven't had any contact from West Ham actually ever about anything. Hope that clears things up."

Manchester United are set to reward Rafael da Silva, 21, with a new contract in a bid to fend off interest from Premier League rivals Chelsea.

Metro

Malaga are interested in signing Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov, 31, after it was revealed he would be leaving the club this summer.

Daily Mail

Croatia striker Mario Mandzukic, 26, has told Everton they will have to wait until the end of Euro 2012 before he sorts out his future.
Dimitar Berbatov

Berbatov could be set to join Malaga

talkSPORT

Manchester City will have to pay up to £30m to land Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente, 27, this summer.

the Sun

Manchester United youngster Zeki Fryers, 19, could be set to leave Old Trafford, with Tottenham, Newcastle and Burnley all interested in the left-back.

Manchester Evening News

Reading are willing to smash their wage structure to land Pavel Pogrebnyak, 28. The Royals have offered the Russia striker a £13m deal.

the Sun

Benfica are ready to reignite their interest in Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner, 24, after he starred for Denmark against Portugal.

talkSPORT

Chelsea are planning a £10m move for Wigan winger Victor Moses, 21.

Daily Mirror

Manchester United are lining up Porto winger James Rodriguez, 20, as a potential replacement for Nani.

Daily Mirror

Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala are keen on signing Liverpool's Slovakia defender Martin Skrtel, 27.

Daily Mail

QPR manager Mark Hughes is considering replacing bad-boy midfielder Joey Barton, 29, with Stephen Ireland, 25.

the Sun

Blackburn striker Yakubu, 29, is in talks over a big-money move to Chinese Super League champions Guangzhou.

the Sun

Three members of the Chelsea staff have been suspended after the Champions League trophy was damaged.

Daily Mail

Bolton defender Zat Knight, 32, is set to sign a new contract at the Reebok Stadium despite their relegation from the Premier League.
Bolton News

Chelsea's Juan Mata says the club have given him permission to play for Spain in this summer's Olympics.
: Daily Mirror

Premier League strikers Robin van Persie and Darren Bent are to set appear in a new series of ITV game show Red Or Black.

BRIGHTON have signed ex-Manchester United keeper Tomasz Kuszczak on a two-year deal.
Follow The Sun on Twitter

The Poland international, 30, played more than 50 times for United before being released this summer.

PHIL NEVILLE plans to follow brother Gary and become a coach.

Gary is involved with England and Everton’s Phil, 35, said: “I’m fascinated by all aspects of coaching.”

SOL BAMBA has left Leicester to join Trabzonspor.

The ex-Hibernian defender is off to the Turkish side after just 18 months at City.

Bamba, 27, scored four goals in 55 appearances for the Foxes.

DENNIS ROFE is the new coach of League One Bournemouth.

The former Bristol Rovers manager and Southampton coach has been handed the role by Cherries boss Paul Groves.

Rofe, an ex-England Under-23 full-back, gave up his position as a Football League regional development officer to take the job.

TOM TAIWO is on Oldham’s radar.The former Chelsea trainee, 22, has snubbed a new contract offer to stay at Carlisle.

Midfielder Taiwo has just become a dad and wants a club closer to his Yorkshire roots.

ITALY have confirmed the punishments following the match-fixing scandal.

Four stars were banned for five years and seven clubs had points deducted.

THE Community Shield between Manchester City and Chelsea will kick-off at 1.30pm on August 12.

MIDFIELDER Jacob Mellis, 21, has agreed a two-year deal at Barnsley after being released by Chelsea.

DEFENDER Zat Knight, 31, is staying at Bolton after agreeing a two-year deal with the relegated club.

NEWCASTLE striker Dan Taylor, 19, has signed for League One Oldham to get first-team action.

babe of the day

http://2.cdn.ddstatic.com/digitaldesire ... 00-jpg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Re: wednesday's news 20th june includes west ham

Post by Jarvo »

Cheers CH :thup:

Must admit, watching England play last night, felt like I was watching West Ham at times! Image
El Hierro

Post by El Hierro »

cheers ch
long time lurker due to not being arsed to get a PROPER Email address.
anyway thanks for years of great service,much obliged.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

..who cares about football!? BOTD = hubba bubba!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Cheers as ever CH.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Thanks CH
Last edited by Hammer Smith on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

El Hierro wrote:cheers ch
long time lurker due to not being arsed to get a PROPER Email address.
anyway thanks for years of great service,much obliged.
WelKUMB mate!

And cheers as always C.H - your dedication to bringing us the news is the stuff that legends are made of :thup:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Jarvo wrote:Cheers CH

Must admit, watching England play last night, felt like I was watching West Ham at times! Image

We never get the luck England had :wink:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Must admit, watching England play last night, felt like I was watching West Ham at times!

Try watching Ireland :oops:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cheerrs CH
Zippycat57
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Zippycat57 »

Thanks CH - I don't post very often but read your round-up every morning.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

On this beautiful sunny morning, cheers CH
BOTD, Hello
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

Must admit, watching England play last night, felt like I was watching West Ham at times!
Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Try watching Ireland :oops:
That's also like watching West Ham at times to be fair..

Thanks CH
TC10

Post by TC10 »

Thanks CH - I don't post very often but read your round-up every morning.
Same. Thanks CH! :thup:
C&B

Post by C&B »

Cheers CH.

Love this quote from Reid too, players WANTING to play for the shirt. :thup:
cockney hammer wrote:
"It would be different if I'd been at the club for six or seven years and I'd been playing regularly then maybe I could have done it, but I needed to work hard this pre-season and make sure the spot's mine at West Ham," he said.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

havent palace now confirmed we are in talks with ZAHA ?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

BOTD, ding dong
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Thanks CH :thup: