thursday's news 21st june includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Voronin

Re: thursday's news 21st june includes west ham

Post by Voronin »

pezza20 wrote: There's 30m riding on us remaining in the premiership, that's the priority.
:thup:

´t´s about survival first that´s were the real money are, resale value must come second IMO.
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

Cheers CH, sterling work, as always.

BOTD, she is hot :thup:
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Ta Sir CH.

Off on the ramble for a couple of weeks, as I don't have(or want) all those modern communication contraptions. I shall put some food on my hotel balcony in eager anticipation of Sir CH's pigeon news service. You may however save the little hero's wings by not dispatching him should the daily news not contain West Ham.

(p.s. no need for B O T D. Hotel is right on the beach :wink: )
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
5.5mil for Holt? Yeah that's got to be b*llocks, don't think anyone at this club is that stupid.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Muddy wrote:Cheers CH.
5.5mil for Holt? Yeah that's got to be b*llocks, don't think anyone at this club is that stupid.
Really hope not!

Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Cheers CH
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

:thup: CH
Blažo

Post by Blažo »

JerseyHammer wrote:"He's 25 and can only get better," says Sam Allardyce

In previous years I´d have read this as something like "He´s 25 and can only......pick up a pre season injury ruling him out till at least xmas..."
We did buy a player because of whom we must have a defibrilator next to the touchline though, as Wigan had had in every match since 2009, just in case he crashes or dies on the pitch. :)
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

JerseyHammer wrote: CH, I think you should do a poll to find out how many people read your news thread every morning, I suspect the number would be ****ing loads!
Indeed
I couldn't say every morning, without fail, but more often than not. It's certainly become part of my work routine....first chance I get to sit down, take a sip of coffee, open KUMB, click on CH's news thread....
I don't always say thanks, unless I've said something in the thread, but your sterling work, CH, is always appreciated here :clap:

Chuffed about Diame, seems to be just what we needed to add to our midfield
As for Holt, I guess I'm sat on the fence really. A decent player, and we do need someone like him to compete with Carlton. Whether he is the best value deal we can do in that position I dunno, but I wouldn't be against his signing.
I mean, the last big striker we signed from Norwich turned out to be half decent.....!
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Hambrosia Stu wrote: Indeed
I couldn't say every morning, without fail, but more often than not. It's certainly become part of my work routine....first chance I get to sit down, take a sip of coffee, open KUMB, click on CH's news thread....
I don't always say thanks, unless I've said something in the thread, but your sterling work, CH, is always appreciated here :clap:

Chuffed about Diame, seems to be just what we needed to add to our midfield
As for Holt, I guess I'm sat on the fence really. A decent player, and we do need someone like him to compete with Carlton. Whether he is the best value deal we can do in that position I dunno, but I wouldn't be against his signing.
I mean, the last big striker we signed from Norwich turned out to be half decent.....!
Also pleased we got Diame, was getting worried all we were going to sign were over 30s players looking to top up their pension pots at our expense. As for £5.5M for Fat Boy Holt, is he really the best we can get?
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

:thup: CH
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1200 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

Many thanks CH.

Mo Diame is a good signing.

BOTD........................outstanding Zepplins AND a camel toe :D
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

TA muchly CH - botd :thup:
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

5.5 for Holt - no way.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Being a snooty, chattering classes, London-centric kind of transfer gossip column, the Mill has to adjust its stupid ironic hipster glasses, take off its stupid ironic hipster flat cap and stroke its stupid ironic hipster moustache as it ponders an entity called "the north". The Mill is pretty sure it starts just north of the M25, and is populated by polar bears, woolly mammoths and vulgar people who have never heard of star anise. But even with that scratchy knowledge, we're pretty sure Bury isn't in Scotland. And yet, today's Sun reveals that Rangers plan to buy Bury (the club, not the entire town) and play in the Football League.

"They don't know whether they will be in the SPL next season and do not want to go to the bottom of the ladder," whispers a Sun source. "Acquiring an English club would get them the foothold they have always wanted down south."

"It should be pretty easy," said a Mill source. "I've done it in Championship Manager. I started with Bury in League One and eventually we won the Champions League. I can advise Rangers on this Armenian striker you can get for 15k and he's guaranteed to get you 60 goals a season. Oh, and tell them to sign Michael Duff. Although I think that's in the 03/04 or 02/03 version of the game, so they should scout him first. And another time, I got Beerschot from the Belgian firs..." At which point, we cut off our source because other people's Championship Manager stories are incredibly dull.

Meanwhile, no-Championship-in-eight-years-manager Arséne Wenger has got a bit chippy at Italian journalists asking him about Robin van Persie moving to Juventus. "I am certain that Robin will remain with us," he huffed. "If you want to know why, it is because there is no reason in this world why a great player like Van Persie should go and play for you, in Italy and in your competition. Your football is at an inferior level to the Premier League."

Arsène isn't finished there though. Still spoiling for a fight, he'll roll up his sleeves and ask Roberto Di Matteo out for a "man chat" over the signing of Hatem Ben Arfa from Newcastle. If he does leave Newcastle, Ben Arfa is said to be leaning towards Arsenal because a) he would play more regularly there and b) Wenger's longer reach and rock hard abs will favour him in a spot of fisticuffs with Di Matteo.

Having seen Wenger beat up an Italian, Brendan Rodgers is spoiling for a fight too. He's heard that Manchester City are plotting to spirit Martin Skrtel away from Swanse … What's that? Oh. He's heard that Manchester City are plotting to spirit Martin Skrtel away from Liverpool for £20m. Rodgers will battle Roberto Mancini for the defender's future and has even produced a training montage on the Liverpool website, showing him hitting animal carcasses, running up hills with logs strapped to his back and wrestling a water buffalo.

The water buffalo won.

Norwich City's Chris Hughton will return to his former club Birmingham to sign Jack Butland. According to the Mirror, Butland is available for £4m, which is £3.995m more than he was worth before he was called up to the England squad, even though it hasn't made him any better as a player. Anyway, Hughton will make the move because Paul Lambert is planning to take John Ruddy to Aston Villa.

Swansea City are planning revenge on Liverpool for swiping their manager and have come up with an elaborate plan. They'll sign Otman Bakkal, who Luis Suárez once bit on the shoulder, from PSV Eindhoven. They'll then play him against Liverpool, sending Suárez into a feeding frenzy and landing him a ban that will make Joey Barton's suspension look like an after-school detention. Bakkal will also make a decent replacement for Gylfi Sigurdsson who is off to … Liverpool. They'll need to work on another form of vengeance for that one.

And finally, QPR are in talks to sign Fulham's Danny Murphy; Blackburn want Leon Best; and Heurelho Gomes wants to stay at Tottenham now that Harry Redknapp isn't there to shout at him and make him cry.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

THE GUARDIAN: Mario Balotelli has been warned to stay calm and "take responsibility" for his actions in Sunday's eagerly anticipated Euro 2012 quarter-final, with Italy concerned that England's players may seek to exploit the Manchester City striker's combustible temperament when the teams meet in Kiev. Also: Andre Villas-Boas is threatening to pull out of talks about replacing Harry Redknapp at Tottenham Hotspur because he is angry the club are planning to speak to other candidates at the same time as talking to him about the job.

DAILY MAIL: Roy Hodgson has called on his England players to cast off the burden of past failures and show the mental toughness to win at penalties. Also: Mario Balotelli has been told to grow up if he is to fulfil his potential as one of the great players of Euro 2012.

DAILY MIRROR: Italy's players claim England blundered by getting rid of manager Fabio Capello. Also: Ashley Young has given England an injury scare ahead of Sunday's quarter-final.

DAILY STAR: Roy Hodgson last night warned Italy: Wayne Rooney will hit top form against you. Also: England yesterday started some frantic research on Italy - because they were convinced they would face Spain in the last eight.

THE INDEPENDENT: The Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli was warned yesterday by Italy midfielder Daniele De Rossi that he must behave and accept the authority of the coach Cesare Prandelli or risk undermining his team in their Euro 2012 quarter-final against England on Sunday. Also: Roy Hodgson admitted in the aftermath of England's progress to the Euro 2012 quarter-finals that Italy remain an unknown quantity to him and that he had not watched their 2-0 victory over the Republic of Ireland on Monday night, because of the likelihood that his team's quarter-final opponents would be defending champions Spain.

DAILY EXPRESS: Mario Balotelli has been told to grow up and stop rebelling against Italy coach Cesare Prandelli. Also: Roy Hodgson has put his players down for extra penalty practice as he leaves nothing to chance in his bid to finally put an end to England's shoot-out hoodoo...Britain's medal hopes at the London Olympics have been hit by a new triple blow.

DAILY TELEGRAPH: Roy Hodgson is acting the ghostbuster, fighting spectres that have long haunted England. Having banished one banshee by surviving a goal-line controversy against Ukraine, Hodgson now faces up to another of England's demons with the chilling prospect of penalties against Italy in Sunday's Euro 2012 quarter-final in Kiev. Also: It spoke volumes for Wayne Rooney's competitive zeal that he was annoyed at being replaced during England's 1-0 win over Ukraine.

THE TIMES: Mario Balotelli has been warned to be on his best behaviour for the European Championship quarter-final between England and Italy after one of his Manchester City team-mates said that he will attempt to provoke the controversial striker on Sunday. Also: Theo Walcott claimed last night that England can beat any of the remaining teams at Euro 2012.

THE SUN: Alan Shearer has told Wayne Rooney: Smash my England goals record. Also: Rangers are looking at an astonishing plan to buy out League One club Bury - so they can play in England...Euro 2012 is gearing up for one of the most explosive match-ups of the tournament so far: Wayne Rooney v Mario Balotelli.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DAILY MIRROR

Italy's players claim England blundered by getting rid of manager Fabio Capello.

Rangers owner Charles Green is putting together an emergency plan to move the Glasgow giants to England as he battles for the club's future.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is pressing ahead with his deal for Jan Vertonghen.

Arsene Wenger has insisted Robin van Persie will not move to Juventus because he doesn't rate Serie A.

Brendan Rodgers faces his first major battle as Liverpool boss with Manchester City ready to move for defender Martin Skrtel.

Blackburn are making a £2million bid for Newcastle striker Leon Best.

Arsenal are battling Chelsea to sign Hatem Ben Arfa.

Victor Moses has been urged by Dave Whelan to think about his future rather than his agent.

QPR boss Mark Hughes is in talks with Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy.

Birmingham are giving Lee Clark a second interview this week after being put on hold by Roy Keane.

Norwich boss Chris Hughton is in the bidding for Jack Butland - to open the door for Paul Lambert to return for John Ruddy.

THE SUN

Rangers are looking at an astonishing plan to buy out League One club Bury - so they can play in England.

Arsene Wenger has told Juventus there is no way Robin van Persie would leave Arsenal for an "inferior" club.

Heurelho Gomes wants to stay at Tottenham now Harry Redknapp has left.

Louis Saha admits a move to Sunderland is on the cards.

Yakubu is set to land a bumper £5million-a-year move to China.

Wigan are ready to double Victor Moses' wages to keep him out of Chelsea's clutches.

DAILY MAIL

Swansea are keen to sign PSV Eindhoven midfielder Otman Bakkal.

Fulham have offered £1.6million for Vitesse Arnhem left-back Alexander Buttner.

Manchester City are to press ahead with interest in Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel.

Besiktas are hoping to sign Blackburn goalkeeper Paul Robinson, who is leaving Ewood Park following relegation.

Newcastle have entered the race for Manchester City's John Guidetti.

DAILY STAR

Wolves are facing a triple-pronged attack from Stoke, Southampton and West Ham to get England winger Matt Jarvis out of Molineux.

Southampton are ready to hijack Celtic's £2million deal for Newcastle goalkeeper Fraser Forster.

DAILY EXPRESS

Chelsea are set to offer £5.5million for Victor Moses of Wigan.

Manchester City may make a move for unsettled Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel.

Fulham have turned down a £1million bid for teenager Kerim Frei from Turkish club Galatasaray.

Steve Kean's job at Blackburn is safe despite the club's relegation from the Championship.

THE GUARDIAN

Andre Villas-Boas is threatening to pull out of talks about replacing Harry Redknapp at Tottenham because he is angry the club are planning to speak to other candidates at the same time as talking to him about the job.

DAILY RECORD

Charlton are planning a swoop for Rangers star Sone Aluko.

Former Hearts striker Kevin Kyle has been invited to relaunch his career with Hibernian.
Aloysius

Post by Aloysius »

pezza20 wrote:If Holt performs as he did last year 5.5m is peanuts - he scored more goals than our top scorer did in the Chumps league, has been pretty consistent and is exactly the type of striker BFS likes, big, strong, powerful but can hit the back of the onion bag. I think he'll alternate Cole and Holt if he signs as Holt generally doesn't last 90 minutes so may be an impact sub or start games for Cole to replace. The sell on value is also irrelevamt since he's being bought for the here and now, which is more important than spending 10m on someone else unproven or 2m on someone who might improve in the future. There's 30m riding on us remaining in the premiership, that's the priority.
This is what a lot of people are not getting in my opinion. If we pay 5.5m and he scores 17 goals for us next season in all likelyhood he will have helped us to stay up and that is worth the money alone. The re-sell value is irrelevant in this instance