friday's news 6th july includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

friday's news 6th july includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

west ham till i die

Christian Montano to Leave West Ham!

It has been announced (by KUMB, not that Mr Chandos had the decency to mention his source - Ed) that Christian Montano has rejected the offer of a further one year contract with the club. The pacy and skillful Columbian forward signed a one year contract extension last summer and his subsequent public statements were full of confidence that he would make his debut in the forthcoming season. Indeed, things looked very promising in the pre-season, as Montano featured in a number of West Ham's matches, looking sharp, skillful and effective on the ball.

Yet, that was as far as Montano's season went. He fell out of Sam Allardyce's plans on the cusp of the new season and was then farmed out in a perpetual succession of loans deals to lower league clubs. Even when Matt Taylor was injured or suspended and West Ham were crying out for some extra width, particularly on the left flank, Montano never got an opportunity to show what he could do. And that was pretty tough on the youngster and obviously led to him concluding that his chance was never going to come.

Some will argue that Sam Allardyce, and the coaches, had run the rule over Montano, in pre-season, and judged that he was not ready for the first team. Perhaps, but when you are in a situation when options are limited, why not give youth a chance. Montano does not lack confidence (apparently he has recently compared himself to Van Persie on his Twitter account) and it is possible that he would have risen to the occasion and made a positive impact against some decidedly average Championship outfits. Any teenager with the nerve to take the ball off the great Di Canio's boot to score a goal has to have something about him, surely?

Unfortunately, this is what happens when youth is not given its chance. Frustration and negativity sets in and youngsters start looking around at other options. Why did we not play him against Aldershot in the League Cup or Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup? At least that would have given him a chance, a platform to perform. If the youngster had done badly then it would have reinforced the point that he was not ready and needed to keep working at his game. Now it looks like we are to lose a promising forward and none of us are any the wiser if he could have made a positive impact. Of course, it could be that Allardyce and his coaches were right, but it is galling that the issue was not tested in some pretty meaningless cup matches last season.

Montano has said that the decision not to sign again was not about money, in that case it must be about a lack of first team opportunity. So, we lose Montano and at the same time we are trialing a 35 year old, who will potentially take up a place in the squad and block the path of youngsters in to the first team. The worry is that this not just a one-off, but a new Mode of operation at the club. We may well survive the loss of Montano, but what about if it is Hall, Voce, Turgott or Elliott Lee next time.

The famed 'West Ham Way' is not just about attractive, passing football, it is also about developing and blooding our own young players. Or is that deluded or something to be sacrificed on the alter of pragmatism and results? I want to see the likes of Hall get more playing time this coming season, and the use of the 7 man substitutes bench and cup matches to help achieve it. Yes, I know youngsters need to prove themselves and there needs to be a balance between youth and experience, but the truth is that outstanding prospects like Robert Hall have the ability and are ready, all they need is the opportunity. What did Napoleon say, 'talent is nothing without opportunity.' Hall needs to be tested and challenged and that can only come via first team football.

I have been largely supportive of Sam Allardyce, even during the disastrous month of March, when far too many draws killed off our automatic promotion aspirations. I am prepared to accept a tactical 'horses for courses' approach, to grind out results against the top six teams, as long as we turn on the style whenever we can. I like his keep it tight and counter-attack approach away from home, it delivered both results and entertainment last season. And I think that it will make us hard to beat on our travels this season. But I draw a line in the sand at the club blocking the pathways to the first team and letting the fruit of the Academy whither and die on the vine. And I know that a lot of other Hammers fans feel exactly the same.

Sam Allardyce's job is to establish West Ham back in the PL and he is the man to do it. He has my support, for whatever that is worth. But youth progression needs to remain a key factor in his strategy, especially from the bench and in the cup matches. Is that unreasonable? Personally I do not think so, but no doubt others will disagree.

Hall, Potts, Moncur and Elliott Lee are some of the names that need to figure next season. Will they? Hopefully, and especially if we get off to a good start and at the very least manage to stay clear of the relegation danger zone. While the two cup competitions offer obvious opportunities to give them more valuable first team experience.

SJ.Chandos.

Claret And Blues – a good cause!

Guys and Gals, I write this today, asking for your help.

We at Claret And Blues are about to embark on a charity mission. We are aiming to raise as much money as possible for the NSPCC and Cancer Research.

We aim to do this by auctioning of as much signed West Ham United related merchandise as possible. We have already secured the signatures of Julian Dicks and David Gold for the merchandise and will endeavour to gain more names as soon as the pre-season friendlies finish.

So, if you have any Hammers related items laying around that you wouldn’t mind donating to a good cause, please drop us a line via the contact page HERE.

We guarantee that every penny we make from the auction will be donated to NSPCC and Cancer Research and will provide proof.

Thank you all

Matt

daily mail

Ex-Barnet boss Allen takes charge of League Two rivals Gillingham

Gillingham have appointed Martin Allen as their new manager.

Allen has signed a two-year deal and succeeds Andy Hessenthaler, who agreed to step down at the end of last season.

The 46-year-old former West Ham midfielder was most recently in charge of npower League Two rivals Barnet - a third spell at Underhill - preserving the Bees' Football League status on the final day of the campaign for the second year running.

Gills chairman Paul Scally said: 'It has been a very extensive process. We have seen some extremely good applicants but I have got to know Martin very, very well and I am delighted that he has accepted the role.

'I've had over 60 CVs sent to me since May 6. The directors and Andy (Hessenthaler) and I went through them and we saw 16 individuals, some of them for a second time.

Football League blog

'After those meetings we made a shortlist of four and we met with them again. At the end of that process we unanimously agreed to offer the job to Martin.'

Scally added: 'Martin is very determined, he's a football man, he's a winner, he's different, has some different ideas and I think he's going to be a very interesting man to work with.

'He has a lot of ability and experience and with his determination and a bit of luck, hopefully we can achieve our goals this season.

'The target for everyone is to try and improve this season and get promotion. That would have been the same target irrespective of who the manager is.'

good luck mad dog :thup:

Juventus are the new favourites to sign Arsenal striker Robin van Persie, 28, after they moved ahead of both Manchester United and City.

: Daily Mirror

Tottenham are ready to listen to offers for Rafael van der Vaart, 29. A fee of £10m-plus is likely to be enough to capture the Dutch international attacking midfielder.

Daily Mail

Tottenham are contemplating bringing former Chelsea, Arsenal and Portsmouth midfielder Lassana Diarra, 27, back to the Premier League, after he was told he could leave Real Madrid.

The Metro

Brighton want to take Manchester City defender Wayne Bridge on loan next season. The 31-year-old spent the end of last season on loan at Sunderland.

Daily Mail

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas is heading for a war with Sir Alex Ferguson over Manchester United defender Ezekiel Fryers, 19, who is set to sign for Spurs.

Daily Mirror

Former Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko, 35, is set to return to Chelsea to work under owner Roman Abramovich, according to his club side Dynamo Kiev.

The Metro

Liverpool's new purple third kit has divided opinion amongst fans, down largely to the "tribal" panels on the sleeve.

The Metro

babe of the day

http://pban.playboygirls.com/pic0056/ph ... 96JP-4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
El Hierro

Re: friday's news 6th july includes west ham

Post by El Hierro »

cheers ch
Darling

Post by Darling »

The whole Montano situation seems a mystery. From what I've heard he seems to have lots of potential and just needs a run of games. Wish him all the best and hope for his sake the club have made a mistake.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Seems as though Mad Dog is on a mission to have as many managerial jobs as possible before he dies!!! :lol:
BondsOfOslo

Post by BondsOfOslo »

Many Thanks CH, although the soup was a little thin today :wink:

Re Martin Allen new manager at Gills :

Gills chairman Paul Scally said: 'It has been a very extensive process. We have seen some extremely good applicants but I have got to know Martin very, very well and I am delighted that he has accepted the role.

'I've had over 60 CVs sent to me since May 6. The directors and Andy (Hessenthaler) and I went through them and we saw 16 individuals, some of them for a second time.

Wonder if this job is offered through Adeccos try & hire scheme?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

Mad Dog is the new Tommy Docherty!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Seems as though Mad Dog is on a mission to have as many managerial jobs as possible before he dies!!!

Or else he is a **** manager who does a great interview. :lol:

Thanks CH
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Dont you love Mr Chandos, a kid wants to go and play somehwere sunny and its the destruction of West Ham and all it stands for, yeah right, snore.................
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

I find it so depressing when I hear of an academy prospect I had high hopes for, leaving the club.

I feel quite gutted. I couldn't wish failure on the fellah but if he goes on to become a success elsewhere as I suspect he will, then I will feel pig-sick. You can't blame him wanting to go though.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH

Good luck Montano for the future, I'm sure he will develop into a brilliant player.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Cheers CH :thup:

It's a shame to see Montano go as we've had him from such a young age, but if the coaches saw any serious potential i'm sure we would do anything to keep him!! (glad twitch is no longer at spurs or he would of probably gone there!!)
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Ta Sir CH
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

How many of the players we let go of truly make it elsewhere? It's probably a ratio of about 1 in 20 of those who go who only got to the fringes of our first team, if that. In the prem at the moment there is keiron richardson, leon britton, liam ridgewell, john terry.... any more?

We let go of +/- 5 every season. You're looking at a period of about 15 years minimum during which such players have left. Our biggest problem is keeping hold of the ones who do make it with us - cole, carrick, ferdinand x 2, johnson, defoe, lampard etc etc. And the saddest thing is that if we do now raise anyone who is any good we will still have to sell to help keep our heads above water, even after the tens of millions we made on this lot.

You'd have to say that the odds were against montano being any good if he wasn't even close to getting in the first team whilst the likes of sears and nouble did and they weren't up to much. And meanwhile... http://www.whufc.com/articles/20120706/ ... 84_2833681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Cheers C.H, sterling work as ever :thup:

Shame about Montano, but there'll be others come through the ranks I'm sure. And good luck to Mad Dog!
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH, :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cheers mate

from a lazy (for me) but noisy household ~ the nippers have returned.

:lol:

Setting up for a couple of weeks in College Station, my viewing and posting will be a bit curtailed (some might say thank fcku) due to having to work a lot of hours and sleeping when I'm not.

Top man

How close are you to the move ??? Soon I hope (but not probably not more so than your goodselves)
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

How close are you to the move ??

still looking mate
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Sun

Arsenal want to report Manchester City for allegedly 'tapping up' star striker Robin van Persie.
Theo Walcott is ready to follow Robin van Persie out of the Arsenal exit door.
Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric is ready to pull out of a move to Real Madrid.
New Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas will walk straight into a fight with Manchester United after rookie defender Ezekiel Fryers quit Old Trafford.
Wayne Bridge will join Brighton in a stunning deal for the Championship club.

Mirror

Arsenal's two major shareholders were engaged in open war last night, with Robin van Persie the catalyst for hostilities.
Robin van Persie has set his heart on a shock move away from the Premier League - with Italian giants Juventus.
Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo wants to push through the capture of Wigan forward Victor Moses in the next 23 hours in a deal worth up to £10million.
Manchester City are poised to steal a march on the rest of Europe by landing Argentinian wonderkid Paulo Dybala.
Tottenham have been handed the chance to sign Paulo Henrique after his contract talks with Santos broke down this week.
Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas is heading for a battle with Sir Alex Ferguson over Manchester United starlet Ezekiel Fryers.
Hull boss Steve Bruce is looking to sign Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Amos on loan for the season.
Watford have pulled the plug on their move for goalkeeper Tom Heaton.
Huddersfield hope to clinch the signing of Nottingham Forest defender Joel Lynch inside 48 hours.

Star

David Silva is set to snub Real Madrid and sign a new £52million contract with Manchester City.
Arsenal are on the brink of civil war after a stinging attack from two of the club's biggest shareholders.
Brendan Rodgers has told his Liverpool stars to focus on getting back into the Champions League - or leave Anfield.

Mail

Arsenal's turbulent week descended into civil war yesterday after the club's biggest shareholder launched a withering attack on primary owner Stan Kroenke.
Tottenham are considering a £7million bid for Birmingham goalkeeper Jack Butland and are ready to listen to offers for Rafael van der Vaart.
Swansea hope to wrap up the loan of Villarreal midfielder Jonathan de Guzman next week.
West Brom have failed in a loan move for Obafemi Martins from Rubin Kazan.
Aston Villa are keen on Sheffield United right-back Matthew Lowton.
Stoke want Blackburn left-back Martin Olsson.
Fulham are closing on a deal for Cologne left-back Sascha Riether.
Brighton want to sign Wayne Bridge from Manchester City.

Express

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes Gylfi Sigurdsson turned down the Reds for financial reasons but admits there are no hard feelings.
Aston Villa are lining up a swoop for Sheffield United right-back Matthew Lowton.
Villarreal midfielder Jonathan de Guzman is set to become Michael Laudrup's second signing at Swansea.
Bolton say it would take a "totally bizarre" offer to land midfielder Mark Davies.
Newcastle have agreed a deal to sign Coventry midfielder Gael Bigirimana.

Record

Ally McCoist took a thinly-veiled swipe at Old Firm rivals Celtic last night and told them if it's sporting integrity they want Rangers will go to Division Three.