saturday's news 14th july includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's news 14th july includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the mail

No worries: Andy Carroll is set to reject a move to West Ham United

Carroll to deliver Hammer blow as England striker pledges future to Liverpool

Andy Carroll will reject interest from West Ham and is ready to fight for his Liverpool future.

The England international is also wanted by Fulham and Newcastle, but Carroll does not want to leave Anfield and is determined to win Brendan Rodgers over.

Liverpool’s manager has not given Carroll, 23, any assurances over what his role will be, but he is ready for the challenge and will speak with Rodgers when he returns from holiday.

West Ham co-owner David Gold said earlier this week that official talks hadn't taken part between the two clubs, but admitted the London side are interested in signing Carroll.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Gold said: 'I am not aware of any talks between ourselves or Liverpool over Andy Carroll.

'But that's not to say we don't have an interest should he become available.'

thame gazette

Sam aims to be the man again at West Ham

Sam Baldock is determined to establish himself as a Premier League footballer as he gears up for the new season with West Ham United.

The diminutive Aylesbury-born striker opened his pre-season account with a goal in the Hammers’ 3-1 defeat against Austria Wien on Saturday.

Life at his new club started so well for Baldock with five goals in his first five games helping him strike an instant rapport with the club’s fans.

But, having been left out of the starting lineup for much of the second half of last season, the former MK Dons star is itching to force his way back into manager Sam Allardyce’s thoughts and make an impact in the world’s top league.

“I don’t see why I can’t take this opportunity to stake my claim,” Baldock told http://www.whufc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“Everyone knows that during the second half of last year I was very frustrated.

“I’m a footballer who wants to play football at the end of the day.

“I’ve been working hard and hopefully I’ll be given a chance to show what I can do.”

Focusing on his goal, Baldock revealed that he had been slightly fortunate to score, but that there was no luck involved in him being in the right place at the right time to meet Carlton Cole’s far-post cross.

“I wasn’t particularly pleased with my performance but I don’t think anyone can say they played particularly well - it was more about getting a run out and seeing if you can get that match-sharpness after six days of training. It was a good end to the trip in a nice stadium with a good atmosphere and quite a few travelling fans, which was nice to see.”

goal.com

Taylor: Survival is first aim for West Ham

The Hammers bounced back to England’s top flight through the Championship play-offs at the first time of asking last season under Sam Allardyce.

And Taylor, who was promoted with Portsmouth in 2003, believes the east London outfit must now target the 40-point mark which is generally accepted as enough to avoid the drop.

"From previous experience, when you get promoted or are a team that has less financial resources than the top teams in the league, you want to stay up first and foremost,” the 30-year-old told West Ham TV.

“That will be the first aim, as it will be for the teams not in the top six this season.

"We want to make sure we get to that magical 40 points as soon as possible and, if you look at the teams who came up last season like Swansea and Norwich, then you see that anything is possible.

"We don't want to talk too much about where we want to finish next year - obviously we want to stay in the Premier League and if we can achieve that as quickly as possible then that would be a good season."

The Hammers have had less time off than some of their Premier League rivals due to their presence in the end-of-season play-offs, but Taylor says he will not be using that as an excuse.

"I think it was long enough [the break], yes," he added.

"The whole point of last season was to get back to the Premier League and we've started earlier than the other teams because we want to hit the ground running. Hopefully we can do that and we can have a long summer next year."

West Ham have avoided any meetings with the so-called Premier League big four in their first six games of the new season, but Taylor insists that the Upton Park side will be taking nothing for granted.

"There are no easy games in the Premier League,” he said.

“A lot of teams might go into a game against Manchester United in a different mindset to a game against a lesser team, which I personally think is wrong.

"We're going to go into every game this season believing we can win, because if you don't have that winning mentality then I don't think there is any point in playing.

"For me, every game in the Premier League is not an easy game. I've never played in an easy game in the Premier League and this season will be the same."

west ham till i die

Modibo Maiga to Sign Next Week?

A number of media sources have gone with the story that West Ham expect to sign Sochaux striker Modibo Maiga for €7 million early next week. Maiga, 24, is the latest striker linked with West Ham, but it appears that there may actually be some substance to the rumour on this occasion. The only potential 'fly in the ointment' is that last January he was due to sign for Newcastle Utd, but the deal collapsed due to a failed medical. We will just have to wait to see whether fitness is an issue this time round?

Maiga has scored 24 league goals in the past two seasons with Sochaux, since joining from Le Mans. He is described as a pacy and skllful striker who can also play out wide if required. Is he of the pre-requisite class to make a positive impact in the EPL? His signing is probably a bit of a gamble, but one that Sam Allardyce must feel worthwhile. And there is encouragement in the fact that Allardyce has a good prior track record of successfully introducing overseas players in to the EPL. In his Sky interview, broadcast today, Allardyce admitted something that we fans have long suspected, that West Ham have been unsuccessful in securing many of their priority targets so far this summer. Hence, no Zaha, Elia, Krasnic, etc, regardless of being the first club linked with them. So, it is possible that Maiga is some way down Allardyce's transfer target list. Still never mind, if he signs, he becomes an Hammer and we will get behind him and give him every encouragement to succeed. Who knows, he could have a major impact like Vaz Te had last January!

It seems that the indications are that Andy Carroll wants to stay at Liverpool next season. The deal's stil not 100% dead in the water, but the vibes that came from Allardyce, in today's Sky interview, were not positive. If Carroll stays put, we could do a lot worse than to put in an alternative bid for Fulham's Clint Dempsey. Dempsey is an experienced centre-forward, who is good both on the floor and in the air, something that cannot also be said of Carroll. He is in the last year of his Fulham contract and Wes tHam could get him for a reasonable fee, but they have the will to go out and make it happen.

I know that Maiga (if he signs) can play out wide or as part of a front three, but are we strong enough on the flanks? The Zaha, Elia and Krasnc deals have not materialised, so perhaps we need to make a definite move for a player like Matt Jarvis or seek to get Adam Johnston in on loan from Man City. Johnston would be a realy exciting loan signing and he might be prepared to come to Upton Park to get regular first team football next season. But again, we need to move quickly to tie up a deal. Otherwise, go for a quality wide player like Gamst Pedersen at Blackburn Rovers, surely he is a realistic target for the club? I do not believe that Kassim-Richards is the answer for West Ham and believe that we need to look elsewhere.

There are rumours that Palace's Nathan Clyne is in discussion with an unnamed PL club, although the general indicators are that it is not us. Well, we should be pulling out all of the stops to get this very promising young right-back, for what should be a nominal fee. Unfortunately, the Zaha deal now seems increasingly unlikely, mainly because Palace are being obstructive, as is their right with regard to a contracted player. So, perhaps the cub have now firmly decided to discontinue their overtures for his signature. We also need another centre-back and although we have been linked with a number of players, there has been no progress to date. Christopher Samba would be my first choice, but he is likely to prove too costly an option, even if his Moscow club can be persuaded to let him go in the first place. Although undeniably experienced, Gallas is also a bit injury prone these days. Nothing has happend on a potential move for Roger Johnson, at Wolves, or Scott Dann, at Blacburn Rovers, so we are left wondering where the centre defensive reinforcements are to come from? The latest name to surface is Curtis Davies at Birmingham City. Davies was a very well thought of prospect a few seasons ago, but his career stalled after leaving Villa. He has the ability and West Ham could be a good place for him to get back on track?

Finally, there are positive signs that Ravel Morrison is shaping up well in training and has applied himself in the two pre-season matches to date. If Morrison could emerge as a force this season it would be a huge added bonus for West Ham and a really positive development for England. A player of his technical ability should be a star for both club and country, he just needs to focus on his football and not be distracted by other factors. West Ham want him to succeed, to guarantee the gamblehey took on him last January, and if he applies himself and performs he can force his way in to the first team in the coming season.

SJ. Chandos.

the sun

£126 to see Gooners[/color]

ARSENAL fans will have to stump up £126 for the most expensive tickets at the Emirates next season.

Ticket prices for ‘A’ category games, like the two against Tottenham and Chelsea before Christmas will be on average £62 — up by 23 per cent.

But the top price will be £126, applying to around one per cent of available tickets in the ‘A’ band.

The lowest priced matchday ticket for next season will be £25.50.

Gunners chief executive Ivan Gazidis insisted: “We constantly aim to strike the right balance between offering tickets at affordable prices — while also ensuring that we have sufficient income to re-invest in the squad.”

:shock:

West Ham are close to a £5m move for 24-year-old Sochaux striker Modibo Maiga, who almost joined Newcastle in January before the deal collapsed amid concerns over a knee problem.

Full story: Daily Mail

Portuguese champions Porto have told Manchester United and Tottenham they must pay £30m if they want midfielder Joao Moutinho, 25, this summer.

Metro

Manchester United are preparing to make a £10m offer to secure left-back Leighton Baines, 27, from Everton.

The Times (subscription required)

Blackburn and Wolves have joined the £2.5m chase for Leeds striker Ross McCormack, 25, as they target an instant return to the Premier League.

Daily Mirror

Birmingham have opened talks with Arsenal over a loan move for England Under-19 striker Benik Afobe.

talkSPORT

Norwich manager Chris Hughton wants to go back to his former club Birmingham to sign defender Curtis Davies, 27.

Daily Mirror

John Terry, 31, and Anton Ferdinand, 27, could face disrepute charges from the FA when it assesses the evidence disclosed during the court trial that found the Chelsea captain not guilty of racially abusing the Queens Park Rangers defender.

the Guardian

Football is on trial and will pay a heavy price in the fallout of the Terry trial, according to Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor.

Daily Mail

Chelsea won £47.3m prize money by winning the Champions League in May, almost £20m more than Manchester United, who failed to reach the last 16.

the Guardian
Sunderland's Lee Cattermole

Cattermole has made 73 appearances for Sunderland since joining from Wigan in August 2009

Jody Craddock's Wolves career is in doubt after the 36-year-old missed out on the club's pre-season trip to Ireland.

Full story: Express & Star

Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill wants to tie Lee Cattermole, 24, who is out of contract next summer, to a new deal at the Stadium of Light.

Daily Mail

Michael Laudrup has admitted Swansea will have to wait until the Olympics are over before they can tie Scott Sinclair, 23, down with a new contract.

South Wales Evening Post

Alberto Aquilani's agent insists Liverpool's 28-year-old Italian midfielder will remain at Anfield for the coming season.

the Guardian

Stoke's Danny Higginbotham, 33, is bracing himself for crucial talks with manager Tony Pulis which will decide his future at the Britannia Stadium.

Stoke Sentinel

In an attempt to drive season ticket sales at Selhurst Park, bikini-clad Crystal Palace cheerleaders have been taking part in an energetic pre-season warm-up and have shot a video of themselves performing to chart-topping hit 'Call Me Maybe' by Carly Rae Jepsen.

London Evening Standard

Rangers, used to playing in some of Europe's finest stadiums, will be forced to play on a sloping pitch with a wide shale track around it when they visit Berwick Rangers' Shielfield Park - also home to Berwick Bandits speedway club - next season.

COVENTRY CITY have signed French defender Kevin Malaga on a three-year deal.

Malaga, 25, was a free agent after his contract with Nice expired.

He is League One Coventry’s fourth signing of the summer after Kevin Kilbane, John Fleck and Stephen Elliott.

BRENTFORD have signed Millwall’s Tony Craig for £100,000.

The 27-year-old, who can operate at left-back or centre-half, has agreed a three-year deal.

Craig made 212 appearances for the Lions and helped them win promotion to the Championship in 2010.

babe of the day

http://pbff.playboygirls.com/hyb0023/pics/10387JP_9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: saturday's news 14th july includes west ham

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

Thanks CH...

BOTD :raver:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH
Galwayman
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Galwayman »

Thanks CH.... looks like we are getting a lucky escape from Carroll!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

[quote="Ticket 2 Ryde"]Thanks CH...

BOTD : /quote]

botd pulls down her knickers as ch enters the room :lol:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

Would love to see Baldock come good in Prem this year - save us a few bob too!

BOTD :thup:
Doctor Mopp
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

Cheers CH :thup:
Kent-Hammer15

Post by Kent-Hammer15 »

Thanks CH
morrisey is a hammer

Post by morrisey is a hammer »

Harry Kewell of to swindon on sky sports. Cheers CH.
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Thank you CH for your wonderful news threads.

Some utter weasel pinched my phone out of my jacket pocket in a bar last night, and after sorting everything out at the police station etc. (which took over four hours in total), the first thing I did was head straight onto KUMB for the latest news thread. Admittedly I skipped past the news and straight onto BOTD, but you get the point... the fact that your match thread was the first thing I thought of when so utterly tired and pissed off is all the testament your work needs. :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Rocket wrote:Some utter weasel pinched my phone out of my jacket pocket in a bar last night,
Rocket let that be a lesson to you about the perils of alcohol .Should you make the mistake of adding sampling of female flesh to your sins , Hell and damnation will surely follow . :lol:

Toe rags aren't they ? Had my ipod nicked in a bar in cardiff last year , very annoying .

£126 to see the Arsenal in a 60,000 seat stadium , with the cheapest seat at £25.50 .

Yet another warning to those of us opposed to Stratford that the lure of supposedly cheaper tickets will be no more than an illusion .
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Galwayman wrote:Thanks CH.... looks like we are getting a lucky escape from Carroll!
Yea, missing out on England's best target man is proper lucky :?

Cheers CH
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

BOTD : /quote]

botd pulls down her knickers as ch enters the room :lol:[/quote]

and says, look at the state that oldham has left me in ch
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: sampling of female flesh .
Dr Chao, Chase Farm hospital, 11am Monday. Don't be late this time.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Cheers C.H - have a good weekend mate :thup: