tuesday's news 17th july includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

tuesday's news 17th july includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the mirror

Hammers bid for Berbatov: New boys want the Manchester United misfit

West Ham launch attempt to sign the stylish striker on loan after he voices his frustration at the prospect of another season on the bench

West Ham have made an audacious bid to rescue Dimitar Berbatov from his Manchester United hell.

The promoted Hammers have moved for the Bulgarian hitman as it appears Newcastle are set to win the race for another of their targets, Liverpool and England striker Andy Carroll.

Berbatov, 31, has made public his desperation to quit the Reds in search of regular first-team football next season.

But United have taken out an option to extend his contract by another 12 months in the hope of landing a fee for the striker of around £5million.

The east Londoners want to hand Berbatov a chance to return to London, where he made his name with Tottenham, on loan – at least initially – whereas the deposed champions are looking for a sale.

Berbatov took to Facebook at the weekend to make clear he'd rather cut his losses than stay on the bench for another season at Old Trafford.

Signed for £30m from Spurs four years ago, Berbatov hit 14 goals in his first season at United and 12 in his second.

In his third, he rattled in 20 Premier League goals to share the Golden Boot with Carlos Tevez of Manchester City.

However, the emergence of both Danny Welbeck and Javier Hernandez at United, has since seen Berbatov plummet down the pecking order.

the mail

Hammer time: West Ham are set to wrap up the £7million signing of Modibo Maiga
Carroll singing: West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is keen to sign the Liverpool striker
Transfer hunt: Allardyce is keen to recruit four more summer signings

Maiga set to seal £7m West Ham switch as Allardyce eyes £35m Kop flop Carroll

Sam Allardyce is set to make £7million Modibo Maiga his most expensive West Ham signing to date - and the Hammers boss is ramping up his interest in £35m Liverpool misfit Andy Carroll.

The England international is heading for the exit after less just 18 months at Anfield with new boss Brendan Rodgers prepared to let him leave for a fraction of his British record transfer fee.

Newcastle failed with a loan bid to re-sign the 23-year-old at the weekend. But boss Alan Pardew is ready to return with a formal £13m offer.

Allardyce remains a keen rival for Carroll's service, however, after admitting he is desperate to bring the forward to east London.

While West Ham can't afford to buy Carroll outright this summer, they are prepared to pay his £80,000-a-week wages in full with a view to a permanent deal.

'We would dearly love to have Andy Carroll with us but it is a complex situation and he is in no hurry, he doesn’t have to make a quick decision if he doesn’t want to,' Allardyce told the London Evening Standard.

'If Andy is going to leave Liverpool, he can wait and see how many are interested.

'The fact, though, that Kevin is a good friend of Andy’s is a slight positive because, if he came here, he wouldn’t be going into a strange environment which would make it easier for him to integrate.'

Sochaux striker Maiga, 24, is due to arrive in London to undergo a medical at Upton Park before putting pen to paper on a long-term deal.

The 6ft 1in Mali international, who failed a medical at Newcastle in January due to a knee problem, will end a frustrating period for Allardyce who has been frustrated in his attempts to make new signings.

Having recruited goalkeepers Jussi Jaaskelainen and Stephen Henderson, the 57-year-old manager has only added George McCartney and Mohamed Diame so far this summer.

Along with Carroll, Allardyce has identified a further four arrivals to boost his newly-promoted side ahead of their August 18 Barclays Premier League kick-off at home to Aston Villa.

'We’ve identified a number of players but, as yet, we’ve not been able to sign them because of their demands,' Allardyce added.

'At the moment, we have signed two out of 12 players we have gone for but I believe we need another four players.

'I still believe we will sign the players we need but every day that goes by makes me more anxious.'

the independent

Newcastle to up ante for Carroll amid West Ham competition

Newcastle will return with an improved package in the hope of signing Andy Carroll from Liverpool on a season-long loan deal. Liverpool flatly refused the initial offer of how big a percentage of the player's £75,000-a-week salary Newcastle would agree to pay for the forthcoming season.

It is believed their opening bid was to pay less than half of the salary of a player they sold to the same club 18 months ago for £35m. However, Newcastle are determined to re-sign the 23-year-old England striker, who has told friends he is open to the idea of a return to St James' Park, despite being unhappy at Liverpool's determination to off-load him.

Carroll is currently on holiday and will not return until the end of the week, by which time Derek Llambias, the Newcastle managing director, and Alan Pardew, hope to have steered themselves into pole position to sign him.

The Newcastle hierarchy believe this is simply too good a deal to turn their back on – landing a player they were never completely comfortable with selling – at such an initial bargain price. They also believe that with Carroll, Papiss Cissé and Demba Ba they would have the firepower to maintain last season's dramatic rise, when they finished fifth, above European champions Chelsea and Liverpool, and also compete in the Europa League. Ba's future remains unsure however, with two weeks still to run when the player would be allowed to leave for just £7m.

Newcastle do, however, still face competition from West Ham for the signature of Carroll, who have not given up hope of landing the player. Manager Sam Allardyce and the West Ham board have so far come closer to matching Liverpool's figures – with a provisional figure of £17m being discussed if the deal is made permanent next summer.

west ham till i die

And the Latest Player Allegedly Being Pursured by West Ham is - Dimitar Berbatov!

The Daily Mirror have reported that West Ham's latest transfer target is allegedly Manchester Utd's Dimitar Berbatov. It seems that Berbatov's time at Old Traford is nearing its conclusion and there is speculation that he could be allowed to move for a £5m fee. West Ham could undoubtedly afford that level of transfer fee, but about his his wage package? Berbatov is still a PL quality striker and he needs regular first team football. Are West Ham genuinely interested in him? Perhaps, but it does begs the question will the Board meet his wage demands?

Sam Allardyce's recently reported comments about his fustrations at failing to secure the club's summer transfer targets have been illuminating. It appears, as many of us have suspected, that potential deals are breaking down because the Board will not meet the wage demands of the players. That is a double edged sword, because while it is essential that the club is competitive in the transfer market, no one wants to see the club paying decidely average players heavily inflated wages. The truth is that quality, above and beyond what we already have, will cost the club. As a general rule, there is no getting away from that harsh reality. Yes, it is probably right to take a stand on inflated player wages, but if you are doing it in isolaion, as one PL club, there is every prospect that you will only end up disadvantaging yourself in the transfer market.

Everyone knows how important the summer transfer window is in having a good season. Get it wrong, and you need up on the back foot, trying to pull it out of the fire with expensive and desperate transfers in January. That's exactly what happened in 2010-11, we never recovered from a poor start and the January transfers did nothing to turn the club's fortunes around at the 11th hour.

When history repeats itself, its first as tragedy and then as farce. This club cannot afford another relegation farce this time around. Surely everyone can agree on that? Personally, i am not overly pessimistic about our current squad, the likes of Noble, Collison, Tomkins and Nolan give us a reasonable fighting chance in the coming the season. Especially if the team spirit and togetherness that emerged last season is carried over in to the new season. But to perform better than expected we probably need an injection of extra quality in key positions.

Hopefully, the quality in the current squad, the much improved team spirit and Sam Allardyce's managerial nous will keep us out of any real trouble. But would it not be nice to do a bit better and secure a top ten finish. That is a quality often sorely missing at Upton Park over the decades ....... ambition.!

SJ Chandos.

Arsene Wenger has demonstrated Arsenal still have plenty of ambition by making an offer of £9m to sign goalscoring midfielder Paulinho, 23, from Brazilian club Corinthians.

the Times (subscription required)

Paulinho has made one appearance for the Brazilian national team

West Ham have made a move for Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov, 31, who has become frustrated with life at Old Trafford following a lack of first-team games.

Daily Mirror

Manchester United's pursuit of Lucas Moura hit another financial snag when it emerged that Sao Paulo's asking price could soon increase to £34m.

Daily Mail

Real Madrid believe they are the only club that Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric, 26, wants to join this summer, and the president, Florentino Pérez, has told friends he is supremely confident of closing the deal.

the Guardian

Liverpool striker Andy Carroll, 23, has told his representatives to secure him a return to Newcastle.

Newcastle Evening Chronicle

But the Reds will seek to recoup at least £20m from the sale of Carroll this summer, a valuation that will sorely test Newcastle's aspirations to re-sign the England striker before the new Premier League campaign.

the Guardian

Sheffield Wednesday are preparing for life in the Championship by rivalling Blackburn and Nottingham Forest's interest in taking QPR's Joey Barton on loan.

Daily Mail

Lille and Marseille are hoping to persuade former Tottenham striker Louis Saha, 33, to return to France as the free agent ponders his next move.

: talkSPORT

Argentine midfielder Claudio Yacob, who has previously been linked with Manchester United and Arsenal, is expected to move to West Brom after the 24-year-old's contract expired at Buenos Aires side Racing Club.

Daily Mirror
Claudio Yacob

Claudio Yacob spent six years at Racing Club and was captain of the team

Manchester City appear the only club with the means to pay a huge fee and salary for Arsenal's Robin van Persie, 28, who has announced he will not sign a new contract.

the Guardian

Blackburn are hopeful of completing a £2.5m deal for West Brom striker Simon Cox, 25.

Daily Mail

Four months after walking away from his £5m-a-year job as England manager, Fabio Capello is back in the big time after winning the race to succeed Dick Advocaat as coach of the Russia national side.

the Times (subscription required)

Football Association chairman David Bernstein will defend the Football Association's work in tackling racism when he reports to a committee of MPs in response to their long-running football governance inquiry.

Daily Telegraph

Aston Villa may sell Jean Makoun, 29, because the Cameroon midfielder's lack of English is making it hard for him to get a new work permit.

HULL boss Steve Bruce last night sealed the £2million capture of German striker Nick Proschwitz.

The 6ft 3in hitman, who notched 17 goals in 33 outings for second division side Paderborn last season, has signed a three-year deal with the Tigers.

Bruce said: “His English is perfect — much better than mine!”

LEEDS chief Neil Warnock is set to snap up Rodolph Austin for £500,000 — months after being told the Jamaican midfielder would cost £2m.

Warnock has been tracking Austin since midway through last season when the former QPR chief wanted to take him to Loftus Road from Norwegian club SK Brann.

DUNDEE will be invited into the Scottish Premier League to replace Rangers.

The decision to promote Dundee could spark legal action from relegated Dunfermline, who believed precedents meant they should have been reinstated to the SPL.

CLINTON MORRISON has joined Colchester on a two-year deal.

The former Ireland striker, 33, released by Sheffield Wednesday, said: “I’m a player who likes to be loved and I think I will be here.”

babe of the day

http://pbbb.playboygirls.com/pic0086/pi ... 2GG_11.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
El Hierro

Re: tuesday's news 17th june includes west ham

Post by El Hierro »

Cheers CH
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

berbatov makes a lot of sense ala allardyce picking up older class players
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Mornin' CH! Really can't see either of those stellar names heading for the Boleyn, but hey ho it shows ambition! Surely the majority of the war-chest will go on Maiga anyway?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Ta CH.

Looking at that picture of BFS I can imagine him walking in sitting down and the person next to him thinking 'oh b*llocks'.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

I would rather pay £5M fo Berbatov than £15M for Carroll - even as an ex filth player, I have always rated him.
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

We don't need Berbatov, we have Nolan!
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

Thanks CH, I think The Mirror are on a no story again!
party iron

Post by party iron »

Thanks Ch, Great BOTD :thup:
Trevor Montana

Post by Trevor Montana »

The Berbatov loan deal is a non-starter - his contract runs out at the end of the season so United will be looking for a sale now. He must be on big wages that we can't match and is still good enough to be playing Champions League football, so as I expect this is a complete and utter non-starter.

On the Berbatov v Nolan comment, I know who I'd take and it isn't our skipper :lol:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Doc H Ball wrote:Ta CH.

Looking at that picture of BFS I can imagine him walking in sitting down and the person next to him thinking 'oh b*llocks'.
Thanks CH al Always!

I travelled down in the lift at the Blackpool Hotel with him (I was on the same floor as the team) just the two of us and it was the longest journey in my life, his head down I made conversation and I heard him mumble something in reply each time, now sure what it was though! LOL
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

cheers ch
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

jaybs wrote: I travelled down in the lift at the Blackpool Hotel with him (I was on the same floor as the team) just the two of us and it was the longest journey in my life, his head down I made conversation and I heard him mumble something in reply each time, now sure what it was though! LOL
Probably was saying 'You're the **** that always slags me off on kumb, f*** off'. :wink:
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Cheers CH, as always.

I would rather pay £5M fo Berbatov than £15M for Carroll - even as an ex filth player, I have always rated him.
I agree to an extent but Berbatov is a bit of a loose cannon, didn't we hear Spurs fans say that on here when he moved to Manchester ?

And again... Thanks CH.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Cheers CH :thup: .........we do like a loan with a view to buying, it just worries me slightly that our success rate in getting these deals is piss poor...........Berbatov's doesn't fit our age policy......he's not old enough!!.....we seem like the pissed up bloke staggering around at the end of the evening asking any bird that looks available to dance......and getting ****ed off everytime!!
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Carroll no!

Berbatov yes!

(photo of BFS) Big Sam picturing the game in his mind tactically.

BOTD yes

CH thanks!
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Cheers C.H :thup:
HammerTel

Post by HammerTel »

Seems like we`re getting linked to anyone with 2 legs at the moment,I just hope we can get at least 1 or 2 players of quality in before the start of the season!
The best news I`ve heard today is Formula 1 are interested in tendering for the OS site,I`m sure i`ll provoke the ire of the minority pro O/S brigade but it`s just the way a majority of us feel!
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

HammerTel wrote:Seems like we`re getting linked to anyone with 2 legs at the moment,I just hope we can get at least 1 or 2 players of quality in before the start of the season!
The best news I`ve heard today is Formula 1 are interested in tendering for the OS site,I`m sure i`ll provoke the ire of the minority pro O/S brigade but it`s just the way a majority of us feel!
Ok I am obviously being a bit thick, but what would F1 do with an athletics stadium?