tuesday's news 14th may includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

tuesday's news 14th may includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

HIGH PRICE TO PAY ... Andy Carroll

Hammers
strike blow
Exclusive

WEST HAM could lose their entire strike force on Sunday with Carlton Cole and Andy Carroll both likely to depart.

Long-serving striker Cole will say his Upton Park farewell against Reading having failed to win a new contract.

The former Chelsea ace, 29, joined the Hammers in 2006 but rejected new terms last season.

Now, after just two goals this season, Cole will be the first summer casualty of boss Sam Allardyce’s squad.

Meanwhile, West Ham are at loggerheads with Liverpool over a deal for on-loan striker Carroll.

The Hammers insist they can afford only £10million for the Geordie, who has four goals in seven games.

Carroll, 24, will return to Anfield unless a deal can be struck but Liverpool are holding out for £17m.

Allardyce is eyeing Ivory Coast hitman Wilfried Bony, who plays for Dutch club Vitesse, as a replacement.

Over-priced: The most expensive tickets at Arsenal would cost almost £1,500
Still over-priced: Wigan's DW Stadium has been noticeably empty this season, even though they have the cheapest season tickets at just £278

Fans baulk at season ticket prices with Arsenal supporters shelling out £1,470... while at Wigan it costs less than £300

One in 10 season ticket holders at top-flight clubs will not renew for next season due to the cost, according to a new survey.

A further 22 per cent of fans have yet to decide whether they can afford to commit for another campaign, according to research from the Virgin Money Football Fans’ Index.

The survey also asked fans what they thought was a fair price for a season ticket - with the price stated £200 less than the Premier League average.

The most expensive season tickets are at Arsenal, costing £1,470, and Gunners fans believe £766 would be a fair price, according to the index. At Wigan season tickets are £278 with Latics fans stating £259 as a fair price.

The figures for the numbers not renewing season tickets or still to decide are broadly similar in the Championship and League One.

In League Two, however, only 57 per cent of fans are definitely renewing their season tickets with a further 34 per cent undecided.

Graeme Tones, spokesman for Virgin Money, said: 'Fans remain passionate about their teams and the packed Premier League stadiums show people have been willing to pay the price.

'But clearly many feel they are being overcharged. Money is tight for a lot of people at the moment and football clubs, despite many freezing season ticket prices, risk losing fans.

'The (Premier League) TV deal for the 2013-14 season significantly increases revenue for clubs and that should perhaps be reflected in how tickets are priced to maintain crowds.'

PREMIER LEAGUE SEASON-TICKET PRICES (2012-13)

Arsenal £985-£1,955

Aston Villa £295-£580 (Earlybird), £325-£595

Chelsea £595-£1,250

Everton £399-£597.60 (Earlybird), £443-£672

Fulham £399-£597.60 (Earlybird), £499-£959

Liverpool £725-£780

Manchester City £275-£745

Manchester United £532-£950

Newcastle United £373-£717

Norwich City £547-£608

Queens Park Rangers £499-£949

Reading £375-425 (Earlybird), £525-£595

Southampton £495-£975

Stoke City £399-£599

Sunderland £425-£525

Swansea City £449-£499

Tottenham Hotspur £730-£1,845

West Bromwich Albion £349-£449

West Ham United £600-£850

Wigan Athletic £255-£350

Kevin Nolan ‘delighted’ with Sam Allardyce’s West Ham stay
West Ham captain Kevin Nolan

West Ham captain Kevin Nolan is thrilled Sam Allardyce has finally signed a new deal to stay at the club, and hopes the Hammers can challenge for a European place next season.

Uncertainty had surrounded the future of Allardyce as his contract was due to run out at the end of the season.

But the former Bolton boss put the speculation to bed when he signed a new two-year contract last week.

The West Ham manager has done an impressive job at Upton Park following his arrival back in 2011, and guided the club to promotion back up to the Premier League in his first season at the club.

Allardyce has done even better this season by helping the club comfortably beat the drop in style, as they are in sight of a top-ten finish if they manage to beat Reading in their last game of the season on Sunday.

And Nolan, who has played under Allardyce at Bolton, sees no reason why West Ham cannot build on their achievements and hopes the addition of more players during the summer will see them challenge the teams in the top half of the table.
I'm delighted he's signed, I don't think there's a better man to move this club forward— Kevin Nolan

"I'm delighted that he's signed,” said the Hammers skipper.

“If you want this club to move forward I don't think there is a better man to have at the helm.

“He has deserved it and it puts everything to bed. It's about him now going away and drawing up what he wants for next season.

"I've worked under him at Bolton and I know what he's about. Not just on the pitch but behind the scenes.

“It's fantastic news for him and his family and fantastic news for us lads. I just hope that we can get a few new faces that will help us kick on again next season.

"I think we're good enough to be in the top ten and good enough to persuade the chairmen, who have been fantastic, that we're good enough to push for it again next season.

"It's short steps though and top ten would be a very good finish for us this year and it's what we'll be aiming for again next year, so we've got to make sure we bring in the players that will help us achieve that."

Midfielder O’Neil hoping he’s done enough to earn a new deal

West Ham midfielder Gary O’Neil is hoping that he has done enough to earn himself a new deal at Upton Park after starting the last 11 games in claret and blue.

The former Middlesbrough and Portsmouth man, who turns 30 this Saturday, is out of contract at the club next week, but he is making a battling attempt to stay at the club as they continue to improve.

“I’d love to stay, but I haven’t heard anything yet from the club to be honest,” he said after Sunday’s disappointing 2-0 defeat against Everton at Goodison Park. “There is only a week to go now, so we will have to wait and see.

“I will concentrate on playing next week and then I’ve got my holidays booked for next Tuesday, so I am looking forward to that. I’m just waiting for the club to let me know what they are going to do, I haven’t heard either way.”

Earlier in the season the chances were that O’Neil, one of the few Avram Grant signings still at the club, would be departing when his two and a half year deal ended, but since injury to Mark Noble thrust him into a starting role, he has played an important part in West Ham’s march towards safety and kept his place when last season’s Hammer of the Year returned to fitness.

“I’ve enjoyed it,” said O’Neil. “That is 11 starts on the trot. The manager showed a lot of faith in leaving me in there when ‘Nobes’ was fit again and since I have been in there we have managed to secure safety.

“We were quite close to the bottom before we went and won at Stoke and got other results, while last year when he called me in with 15 games to go we managed to get over the line.

“So I think I have done okay when he has used me and hopefully that is enough for him to want to offer me something.”

TO’Neil and his team-mates certainly had a tough time on Sunday at Everton as the midfielder readily admits.

“It was disappointing, I think we got outplayed a little bit,” said O’Neil. “They are a good side and it was a big occasion for them and we got a little bit overrun at times.

“We couldn’t cope with the way they overloaded the middle of the park, with (Steven) Pienaar coming in there, there was five of them at times.”

O’Neil was replaced by Noble after 64 minutes and the two will be vying for a starting spot against Reading on Sunday for the final match of the season.

“Noble has had a good season, right up until he got injured, but the run of results we had maybe helped my cause when it came to staying in the team,” said O’Neil.

“The gaffer has now got a decision to make, there are plenty of times when he has chosem ‘Nobes’. I was the one lucky enough to have the berth for the last few games. There is one more to go so we will see who gets it next week.”

Whatever happens against Reading and with any potential new deal, the likeable midfielder, who came back from a career-threatening injury to help the Hammers back into the Premier League, has had a great time at Upton Park, adding: “I have enjoyed all my time here, the lads have been great in the two and a half years of my contract and even the time I haven’t played, I have enjoyed being part of the squad.

“The fans have been brilliant too and in the two full seasons I have had, we have won promotion and we are now 10th in the Premier League so two fairly successful campaigns.”

They certainly have been and O’Neil has played his part in that. Whether that deserves a new deal, we will learn in the next couple of weeks.

Monaco are lining up sacked Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini, 48, to take over at the newly promoted French club.
Roberto Mancini

Daily Express

The Times (subscription required)

Manuel Pellegrini, 59, is expected to take over and his first signing as Manchester City boss could be 27-year-old Sevilla winger Jesus Navas.

Daily Star

Striker Wayne Rooney, 27, was booed by Manchester United fans during their victory parade.

Daily Mirror

Rooney is holding peace talks with Manchester United after making a U-turn over his decision to ask for a transfer.

Daily Express

Real Madrid are in 'secret' talks with Manchester United over a potential £33m deal to sign want-away striker Rooney.

Caught Offside

Both Manchester clubs may be without a manager but they are still keen to sign Udinese wonderkid striker Piotr Zielinski, 18.

talksport

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke, 22, will be targeted by Borussia Dortmund to replace striker Robert Lewandowski, 24, if the Pole quits the Bundesliga side in the summer.

Daily Mail

Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, 25, insists he wants to stay at Stoke despite interest from Manchester United and Arsenal.

Metro

Italian side Napoli are interested in signing Sunderland's 25-year-old goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

Talksport

Relegated QPR want Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker, 32, to help them win promotion back to the Premier League.

Daily Mirror
GLOBAL GOSSIP (sourced by BBC Monitoring)

Manchester City have offered Bayern Munich around £17m for 29-year-old Dutch winger Arjen Robben.

Sport

The parade celebrating Paris Saint-Germain's victory in the French league was marred by chaos and violence on Monday, forcing the team to cancel a planned cruise down the river Seine.

Liberation

Jack Wilshere, 21, will miss England's two international friendlies against the Republic of Ireland and Brazil at the end of the season so he can have surgery on his ankle injury.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

http://bitcast-a.v1.lhr1.bitgravity.com ... g/0016.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: tuesday's news 14th may includes west ham

Post by ereford ammer »

Thanks CH, Great babe today! :thup:
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

Cheers CH :thup:
FordLovingHammer

Post by FordLovingHammer »

Nice one CH, cheers.

You are the man.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Cheers CH.

Still the 4th highest ticket prices in the country. Looking forward to getting a prime seat at the OS for much less :P
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH. :thup:
issi

Post by issi »

Cheers CH
So, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man city's cheapest ST's are lower than the cost of our lowest ST.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup: great babe again today
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

:kumb: cheers cockers (©AGxM) Image
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

issi wrote:Cheers CH
So, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man city's cheapest ST's are lower than the cost of our lowest ST.
Well seeing as we have a top 5 or 6 ST price banding, I look forward to being top 5 or 6 spenders in the summer.... :wink:
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers CH. Hopefully we will offer O'Neill a new contract - good squad player, who cleraly wants to stay.

:crest:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

At Wigan season tickets are £278 with Latics fans stating £259 as a fair price.
19 quid. They know their stuff.
Claretandblueyank
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Claretandblueyank »

issi wrote:Cheers CH
Mad isn't it? Shame, but truth is that I can't afford it anymore. Got to get train and tube so that adds another 20 quid a game. Plus the beers. Gets near a £100 day very quickly. I don't think OS will be that different, but we'll see.
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

Good stuff from O'Neil. Sounds like he just wants to play football. Instead of moaning about his contract expiring, he has taken his chance and put him some fantastic performances, with his goal against West Brom the goal of the season for me.

I think he's worth sticking with on a squad rotation basis, but no more than 15 - 20k a week imo.
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Thanks Mate
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Thanks CH :thup: