poets day news 24th may includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

poets day news 24th may includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Cole shortage: West Ham have released striker after seven years

US of Yay: Carlton Cole set to snub Southampton, Stoke and Hull for MLS

Carlton Cole is turning his back on the Premier League for a future in Major League Soccer.

The former Chelsea and England hit-man, freed by West Ham after seven years at Upton Park, is heading for America - despite interest from the top flight.

Southampton, Stoke and newly-promoted Hull are all keen to offer Cole, 29, deals following his release by the Hammers.

Leeds and relegated QPR, who will be Championship rivals next season, also want to sign the Croydon-born striker.

But Cole, who notched 57 goals in 237 outings for the Hammers, has decided to continue his career in the United States.

DC United, San Jose Earthquakes and Houston Dynamo are all ready to tempt Cole with a lucrative contract offer, but LA Galaxy is his preferred destination.

David Beckham’s old club are favourites to land Cole and are expected to open talks with him in the next 24 hours.

Image[
Massimo Ambrosini looks like he will end his long association with AC Milan in the summer

AC Milan midfielder Massimo Ambrosini's agent plays down West Ham talk

Massimo-Ambrosini-looks-like-he-will-end-his-long-association-with-AC-Milan-in-the-summer Massimo Ambrosini looks like he will end his long association with AC Milan in the summer

The 35-year-old is nearing the end of his career although made 24 appearances last season.

Reports in Italy indicate he is being lined up with a move away from the San Siro, but Ambrossini's agent, Moreno Roggi, denied he has held talks with West Ham.

"Yesterday I was in London, but I have not spoken with West Ham," Roggi's agent told Italian website Tuttomercatoweb.

"The situation of my client has not changed – everything remains open.

“Even a renewal with Milan is possible.

West Ham, Massimo Ambrosini, AC MilanWest Ham have already agreed a deal for Razvan Rat

“The player appeals to many clubs abroad though, especially North America."

West Ham have already agreed a one-year deal for Razvan Rat who passed his medical.

West Ham United re-enter Douglas race
Douglas

The 25-year-old, who will be available on a free transfer when his contract expires next month, is also being chased by Liverpool, Newcastle United and Lazio.

According to talkSPORT, the Sam Allardyce is looking to bolster his defence in the summer, naming Douglas as his number-one target.

The Brazilian-born defender has a Dutch passport, so would not require a work permit if he was to move to the Premier League.

He arrived at De Grolsch Veste from Joinville in his homeland 2007, going on to establish himself as one of the best defenders in the Eredivisie.

Kevin Nolan wants West Ham to target European place next season
West Ham midfielder Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan has urged West Ham to bring in some big name signings during the summer and give them every chance of challenging for a European spot.

The east London club enjoyed a solid season back in the Premier League and managed to secure a top 10 finish.

Sam Allardyce has wasted no time strengthening his squad with the signing of Romania captain Razvan Rat and hopes to conclude a £15m deal for Liverpool forward Andy Carroll.
We want to push on and get into cup finals and push for Europa (League)— Kevin Nolan

With Allardyce also pledging his long-term future by signing a new two-year deal last week, Nolan feels everything is in place to enjoy bigger things over the next few years and hopes they can attract more quality players over the summer.

The West Ham captain said: "We are glad he (Allardyce) has signed his deal now because we feel as a squad we can move forward and hopefully with a few new faces in the summer we can kick on again.

"If he gets the chance here to bring in the players he wants and the quality he wants I am sure we'll be playing for the higher echelons of the Premier League and that is what the fans want and I think that is what the owners want. We have to make sure we finish in the top ten again.

"We want to push on and get into cup finals and push for Europa (League) because that is what myself and Sam produced at Bolton and with the quality we have got in the squad we can get this club back to where it belongs."

West Ham line up move for Spanish star
Real Betis star Benat

West Ham could hijack Athletic Bilbao's move for Real Betis midfielder Benat.

talkSPORT told you earlier this month that Athletic were nearing a deal for the 26-year-old, who has been linked with Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester City in recent months.

But the Betis man, who is out of contract next year, has not put pen to paper yet and West Ham are considering a late move.

The Hammers have scouted him several times in recent weeks and will send club representatives to watch him during Betis' penultimate match of the season against Real Zaragoza on Sunday.

Benat, who hails from the Basque region of Spain, has scored four goals and set up eight more in the league this season.

Aston Villa's Darren Bent on the substitutes bench.

West Ham, Fulham and Liverpool in running to sign Aston Villa misfit

Transfer news: West Ham and Fulham are believed to be among the clubs alerted by news that Aston Villa will sell striker Darren Bent this summer and take a considerable hit in the pocket.

The 29-year-old is the Villans record signing but has fallen out of favour under manager Paul Lambert and is set to be sold off for far less than the £18million the west Midlands side paid Sunderland for him.

The Birmingham Mail today confirmed that the forward will be allowed to leave despite having two years on his current deal.

Liverpool appear top the list but West Ham could make a bid if their endeavours to sign Andy Carroll from the Reds comes to nothing.

Fulham, Hull and Cardiff have also been linked for the Tooting-born hitman who has also played for Charlton and Tottenham.

West Ham United's Guy Demel (left) and Reading's Nick Blackman jump for a high ball during the Barclays Premier League match at Upton Park, London.

May blossoms once again for West Ham full backs

On May 19, 2012 there was a sense of relief for West Ham as they secured their place back in the Premier League with a play-off final win, and exactly a year on, full backs Guy Demel and Joey O’Brien were in a mood to celebrate again.

The Hammers had secured manager Sam Allardyce’s season-long aim of 10th spot after the weekend’s 4-2 win over relegated Reading and both full backs enjoyed a solid season back in the top flight.

“When we started pre-season, 10th place was the main goal when the gaffer sat us down in Portugal. We are really proud of ourselves because we have achieved our goal. It wasn’t easy but the season was a good one,” said Demel.

“Everyone who has come in has given their best and we have to carry on working hard because next season is going to be harder.

“We will try to enjoy what we have achieved this season now, but next season will be different.”

Left back O’Brien added: “Last season it was a sense of relief whereas today we can celebrate.

“We couldn’t really celebrate last season, it was just utter relief that we were back in the Premier League. It’s a different feeling, but we are celebrating now.”

There was a sense of relief though for Demel, having missed much of his first season with the Hammers through injury, the Ivory Coast international went on to make 32 appearances in claret and blue this term.

And despite many believing he has enjoyed a solid season in the West Ham defence, Demel expects more from himself next season.

“I think it was a good first season in the Premier League for me, it was difficult for me last year as I went through some bad injuries,” he said.

“The season was pretty good and it was a good achievement for us. On the pitch you can feel the difference, so it was pretty easy for me to come back.

“I wasn’t at my best though and I promise I will be much better next season.

“I have played many games and I have had some good games as well so I am happy with that, but without my team-mates that wouldn’t be possible.”

For O’Brien it has been another season at left back, but you won’t see the Irishman complaining.

“The whole season has been great,” said the 27-year-old.

“It probably took me a few games to settle in at left back, but after playing the first couple of matches I was able to settle in to it and I knew what I was doing.

“I have managed to stay there most of the season and that was pleasing for me.”

There is likely to be competition for both the full backs next season as Allardyce looks to strengthen, but it seems that in Demel and O’Brien, the boss has two players that will never let him down.

Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen, 27, has emerged as a surprise target for Italian side Napoli.

talkSPORT

Thomas Vermaelen has won 42 caps for Belgium

French club Monaco are considering a £26m move for Manchester City's 27-year-old captain Vincent Kompany.

Full story: L'Equipe (in French)

Chelsea are weighing up a move for Galatasaray's 27-year-old striker Burak Yilmaz, who has scored 32 goals this season.

Metro

Argentine striker Sergio Aguero, 24, is staying at Manchester City this summer - despite efforts from Real Madrid to lure him to Spain.

Mirror

Paris St-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 31, could be set for a summer move to Manchester City or Chelsea.

Daily Star

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is considering a cut-price move for 25-year-old Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas.

Express
GLOBAL GOSSIP (sourced by BBC Monitoring)

Monaco have signed Porto midfielders Joao Moutinho, 26 and James Rodriguez, 21, for a combined fee of £60m.

A Bola (in Portuguese)

Arsenal target Serge Aurier, 20, says he will not leave Toulouse "unless something crazy happens". Several French clubs are also believed to be interested in the Ivorian defender.

sport24.com

AC Milan supporters' group Curva Sud strongly oppose the rumoured appointment of former Netherlands international Clarence Seedorf, 37, as manager, on account of his lack of experience.

corriere.it (in Italian)

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has denied the club has made contact with former Napoli manager Walter Mazzarri, 51.

lastampa.it (in Italian)

Manchester City's manager-in-waiting Manuel Pellegrini, 59, has been set a target of five trophies in as many years - including the Champions League.

Mirror

Midfielder Marouane Fellaini, 25, has told how his furious Everton manager David Moyes gave all the other players and staff the day off and had him in for a one-on-one training session after he headbutted Stoke's Ryan Shawcross in December.

Mirror

Midfielder Kevin Nolan, 30, has urged West Ham to bring in some big-name signings during the summer to give them a chance of challenging for a European spot.

talkSPORT [
color=#0000FF]

Tickets for the Champions League final between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich at Wembley are selling for up to £14,000 each on the black market.

Metro

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, 40, says he is only interested in bringing "winners" to Anfield this summer.

Liverpool Echo

Pop band One Direction have followed up their recent hijacking of Newcastle's training session by interrupting a Real Madrid workout - in order to meet star defender Sergio Ramos.[/color]

MAARTEN STEKELENBURG could snub a move to Fulham and stick with Roma, claims his agent.

The goalkeeper, 30, has been left out of Roma’s squad for Sunday’s Coppa Italia final amid reports his £4million switch to London is nearly complete.

But agent Rob Jansen said: “Maarten’s still happy with Roma so we’ll see. It can go either way.”

CARDIFF are set to launch a shock £3.5million bid for Danny Graham.

The former Swansea striker, 27, has failed to score in 13 games at Sunderland after arriving for £5m in January.

Cardiff boss Malky Mackay remains keen after giving Graham his big break in 2009, signing the ex-roofer at Watford.

SAN LORENZO plan to take defender Fabricio Coloccini, 31, home to Argentina.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew still hopes to keep hold of his captain.

But San Lorenzo president Matias Lammens said: “I aim to meet Fabricio and talk about the conditions of his arrival.”

COVENTRY are planning to ground-share with League One rivals Walsall for three years.

The Sky Blues are trying to secure a deal to play their home games at the Banks’ Stadium while they build a new ground — Highfield II.

City were booted out of the Ricoh Arena after a rent row with the stadium owners.

PFA chief Clarke Carlisle has hung up his boots. The Northampton centre-back played 542 times for teams including Burnley, QPR and Blackpool.

Carlisle, 33, said: “It wasn’t an easy decision — but my body can’t do what I want any more.”

He must also stand down as PFA chairman as he is no longer a professional footballer.

HAROLD REDWANKER wants Richard Dunne to lead QPR back to the Prem.

The Rangers boss is keen to offer the Irish defender, 33, a two-year deal after his release by Aston Villa.

An insider said: “Harold has made his approach and is confident a deal will be done. He tried to sign Richard for Spurs from Manchester City.”

WEST HAM hope to beat Liverpool, Lazio and Newcastle to FC Twente defender Douglas.

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce can get the Brazilian ace, 25, on a free next month after missing out on him last season.

DAVE WHELAN still hopes he can convince boss Roberto Martinez to stay at Wigan.

Martinez has delayed his decision on whether to leave the FA Cup winners until Monday.

Owner Whelan said: “If he wanted to move he would’ve said ‘I’m going’. It is nothing to do with his personal benefit.”

http://cdn.mature-beauty.com/pics/2012- ... _02big.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: poets day news 24th may includes west ham

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Thanks again CH, top work. :thup:
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I hope stoke take on hughes, that will be one team destined for relegation.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Thanks CH - much appreciated

:crest:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always
Bitter 'n' Twisted

Post by Bitter 'n' Twisted »

Bent turned his back on us at the eleventh hour in favour of signing for the Lilly Whites. I would hate to think we might end up paying his wages. No thanks.

Cheers CH
blaze.s8n
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by blaze.s8n »

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... der-198258

West Ham apparently, are interested in Lord Voldermort/Jonjo Shelvey. He's English and young, and could be a good signing if true.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Thanks CH :thup:
kaybee15

Post by kaybee15 »

Thanks CH. I wonder if the Overchuffed > USA story is genuine, or if someone has just picked up on a couple of comments from the Carlton thread on this site?
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

We have been linked with keepers, full backs, centre halves, central midfielders, wingers and strikers.

The only position that we haven't been linked with is attacking midfielder, or behind the striker. I wonder why!

Good to see we are being linked with quality footballers, however.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Cheers CH :thup:
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

blaze.s8n wrote:http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... der-198258

West Ham apparently, are interested in Lord Voldermort/Jonjo Shelvey. He's English and young, and could be a good signing if true.
Jonjo seems pretty average whenever I've seen him play, and the way he celebrated his 'goal' against us was a bit much. I'd rather give him a miss, if i'm honest.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Well done Dortmund :D

German towel claim!

Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks again CH. :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DAILY MAIL

Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano has revealed that he wants incoming manager Manuel Pellegrini to win five trophies in the next five years. Read more

THE TIMES

Manchester City have set a bold target of winning five trophies in the next five years.

DAILY TELEGRAPH

A three-strong panel of former referees is set to sit in judgment of players insufficiently punished for reckless tackles in the Premier League next season.

Stoke City have suffered further turmoil after it emerged midfielder Steven Nzonzi has submitted a written transfer request.
THE INDEPENDENT

Manchester City's chief executive, Ferran Soriano, has declared that he expects at least five trophies in the next five years from the club's next manager, who will inherit a stronger squad than Manchester United's - and one which should 'absolutely' have retained last season's Premier League.

THE GUARDIAN

DAILY EXPRESS

Christian Benteke has put Arsenal on red alert by claiming he will leave Aston Villa if the Gunners come in for him.

Manuel Pellegrini has been set a daunting target of five trophies in five years by Manchester City.
DAILY MIRROR

Roberto Mancini was sacked as Manchester City manager because his bosses insist he failed to win the title with a team better than neighbours United.

UEFA will order Premier League stars to give blood samples next season - in a bid to rid the game of drug cheats.
THE SUN

Christian Benteke put a host of big clubs on alert last night when he warned Aston Villa: You can't make me stay.

Manuel Pellegrini faces a daunting five-year target as Manchester City boss.
DAILY STAR

Manuel Pellegrini was last night told by Manchester City: We want five trophies in five years.

Christian Benteke has sparked a £25m summer scramble by revealing he could leave Aston Villa.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Nearly 20 years after Jean-Marc Bosman nobly fought for the liberty of out-of-contract footballers and won a famous victory, another Belgian player is donning rudimentary leather battle-armour and questionable blue face paint and telling his club that they may take his life but they will never take his freedom. That man is Christian Benteke, who wants to break free from the shackles of contractual enslavement at Aston Villa in order to push through a move to Arsenal, or, indeed, somewhere else. "If they say I must stay, I won't necessarily accept that. I do not in any way want to feel I didn't get the most out of my career," he William Wallaced when asked about his future.

The remarks left his agent right narked: "This always happens when he goes away with the national team. I'd prefer he didn't speak to journalists but the Belgian team insist he does a press conference." No matter, the words are said now and cannot be unsaid, and so along with Arsenal, Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund are set to jostle for his £25m-rated services, although the German Champions League finalists are also linked with a season-long loan move for Chelsea's Romelu Lukaku, whose parent club are keen on Atlético Madrid's Turkish winger Arda Turan, whose current employers, along with Sevilla and Real Betis, want to sign QPR's Esteban Granero, whose freshly relegated English outfit want to bring in out-of-contract defender Richard Dunne, who has just been released by Aston Villa, current home of Benteke. And thus does the circle of rumour life keep on turning.

Stoke's Asmir Begovic has given his biggest hint yet that he is indeed to leave this summer, which everyone knows will happen even though his club insisted it wouldn't when they signed Jack Butland in January, when he told a journalist in Bosnia that he was going to do pre-season training at Liverpool. The Potters have been linked with Twente's 19-year-old shot-stopper Timo Plattel. Fulham, meanwhile, have been urged not to release ageing gloveman Mark Schwarzer, with John Arne Riise trilling that he is "a fantastic goalkeeper and a great person".

Back to Stoke, though, where Stephen Nzonzi has handed in a transfer request. It is a second transfer request in less than a year for Nzonzi, who forced through a move from relegated Blackburn last summer. He is advised by his father, Fidele. Fidele is a name of Spanish origin that translates as "faithful". "We are not unduly worried about the situation as he has three years remaining on his contract," said the club's chairman, Peter Coates, who by the sounds of things needs to keep a close eye on Benteke-based events detailed above but who instead has been locked in discussions with key advisers about potential targets to replace Tony Pulis is manager, with Roberto Di Matteo, Roberto Martínez and two people not called Roberto – Mark Hughes and Gus Poyet – thought to have been prominent in their conversation.

Elsewhere in the world of management, Napoli have started sniffing around Tottenham's André Villas-Boas, with their president, Aurelio De Laurentiis, admitting "there is a very tempting argument to hire a young coach". Fulham's Martin Jol, meanwhile, is among the names being considered to replace the sacked Frank Arnesen as general manager of Hamburg. Dennis Wise has applied for the vacant manager's post at Millwank, where he was previously in charge between 2003 and 2005, says the Sun. The job will go to the former Liverpool defender Markus Babbel, says the Mail. Also variously reckoned to be in the frame: Alex McLeish and St Johnston's Steve Lomas. In other boardroom developments, the Reading chairman John Madejski was taken out by security staff when he made a misguided attempt to cuddle the singer Paloma Faith while she was performing at a corporate event.

Sunderland are preparing for a massive clearout as Paolo di Canio ushers doorwards every workshy wonder who hasn't been impressed by the Italian's manic management style, thus boosting the Black Cat kitty so the Italian can himself go shopping. First to go is Titus Bramble, MLS-bound, while Phil Bardsley, Connor Wickham, James McClean, Craig Gardner and Seb Larsson are variously considered likely to be made available. Goal-shy flop Danny Graham could return to Wales after his name was placed towards the top of Malky Mackay's Cardiff City post-promotion wish-list, the pair having previously worked together with some success at Watford. Talking of goal-shy flops, Real Betis and Bordeaux are interested in helping Arsenal to offload 29-year-old Marouane Chamakh. And talking of post-promotion wish lists, Hull City have placed Blackburn's £10m-rated striker Jordan Rhodes and Genk's Polish goalkeeper Grzegorz Sandomierski at the very toppermost of theirs.

And now a special section devoted to rumours about centre-backs, starting with talk that the Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany is a £26m target for Monaco. West Ham, meanwhile, are one of a string of clubs chasing Twente's Douglas, a 25-year-old Brazilian defender whose imminent availability on a free transfer has also attracted vultures from Newcastle, Lazio and Liverpool. And San Lorenzo want to steal Fabricio Coloccini back to Argentina, the club's president having said he wanted "to meet Fabricio and talk about the conditions of his arrival". The Argentinian's current team, Newcastle, inevitably want another France-based striker, with St Etienne's £12m-rated Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang returning to their shopping list after a previous appearance in January. And in other striker news, Gary Lineker's brother Wayne has joined the cast of The Only Way is Essex.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Christian Benteke has put Arsenal on red alert by claiming he will leave Aston Villa if the Gunners come in for him.
Roberto Martinez has delayed a decision on his Wigan future until the start of next week.
Alan Pardew's job at Newcastle boss is safe but he has been told he must finish in the top 10 next season.

Christian Benteke put a host of big names on alert last night when he warned Aston Villa: You can't make me stay. Tottenham lead the chase, with Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal also interested.
Dennis Wise wants to make a sensational return as Millwank manager.
Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic is set to follow Tony Pulis out of the club - and sign for Liverpool.
Bournemouth have issued a hands-off warning over manager Eddie Howe. He has been linked with Everton.
Cardiff are set to launch a shock £3.5million move for former Swansea striker Danny Graham.
Harold Redwanker wants Richard Dunne to lead QPR back to the Premier League.
David Moyes completed his first bit of business as Manchester United boss last night - as he rubber-stamped Rio Ferdinand's new deal at Old Trafford.
Paolo Di Canio has launched his Sunderland clear out by showing Titus Bramble the door.
Romelu Lukaku is keen on a loan move to Champions League finalists Borussia Dortmund next season.

Sergio Aguero is staying at Manchester City this summer - despite efforts from Real Madrid to lure him from Spain.
Christian Benteke has plunged his Aston Villa future into doubt by declaring: I'm not certain to stay this summer.
Alex McLeish is in the frame to become Millwanks's new boss.
Spurs look set to fail to land long-term target Joao Moutinho after the Portuguese schemer flew into Monaco to join the ambitious French club.
Hull are set to step up their interest in Jordan Rhodes and Grzegorz Sandomierski.
Everton supremo Bill Kenwright wants to speak to Roberto Martinez and snatch him from relegated FA Cup winners Wigan.

Former Liverpool defender Markus Babbel is set to be named the new manager of Millwank.
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has been given assurances by owner Mike Ashley that his job is safe.
San Lorenzo are stepping up their bid to take Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini back to Argentina.
Wigan fear they are fighting a losing battle to keep Roberto Martinez as their manager following an hour of talks with chairman Dave Whelan yesterday.

Christian Benteke has sparked a £25million summer scramble by revealing he could leave Aston Villa.
Rio Ferdinand has pledged to help new Manchester United boss David Moyes keep the silver rolling into Old Trafford after signing a new deal.
Real Madrid aim to hijack Manchester City's bid to sign Malaga star Isco.
Goal-shy striker Danny Graham could lead the Sunderland exodus with a shock £4million move to newly-promoted Cardiff.
Roberto Martinez is waiting to see if Wigan chairman Dave Whelan will meet his demands before deciding his future.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Praying for a move to the Premier League?
Arda Turan (R): On Chelsea's radar
Tottenham and Arsenal on transfer alert as Christian Benteke hints he may look to quit Aston Villa.

Sergio Aguero is staying at Manchester City this summer – despite efforts from Real Madrid to lure him to Spain.

Tottenham look poised to miss out on long-term target Joao Moutinho again, after the Portuguese midfield schemer flew to Monaco to join the ambitious French side.

Former West Ham striker Carlton Cole is set to snub Southampton, Stoke and Hull for a move to the MLS.

Gareth Bale would fit right in at the Bernabeu, according to Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos.

Arsenal are desperate to offload flop Marouane Chamakh who has ended up costing the club £14million over the last three years - and has scored just 12 goals.

Rio Ferdinand has spoken of his delight at signing a one-year contract extension with Manchester United.
Transfer stories and gossip from other papers and websites

Zlatan Ibrahimovic could leave Paris Saint-Germain this summer, sparking interest from Manchester City and Chelsea. (Daily Star)

Chelsea are tracking Atletico Madrid's Turkey winger Arda Turan. (Daily Mail)

Arsenal are ready to go head-to-head with Borussia Monchengladbach for Leon Goretzka, an 18-year-old VfL Bochum player who has already been compared to Mario Gotze. (Daily Express)

Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic says he wants to sign for Liverpool this summer. (The Sun)

The Potters could sign FC Twente goalkeeper Timo Plattel as a replacement for Begovic. (Daily Mail)

Manchester City will have to battle Real Madrid for £30m Malaga midfielder Isco. (The Sun)

Money-bags Monaco are ready to make a £26m move for Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany, who is also a target for Barcelona. (Daily Mail)

Newly-promoted Cardiff are ready to launch a £4m bid to sign Sunderland striker Danny Graham. (Daily Star)

Stoke City's Steven Nzonzi wants to leave the club and has submitted a transfer request. (Daily Telegraph)

Argentine club San Lorenzo will make another attempt to sign Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini. (Daily Mail)

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis says the Serie A club have made an approach for Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas. (Daily Mail)
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

West Ham striker wanted by Marseille

Marseille are ready to rekindle their interest in struggling West Ham striker Modibo Maiga.

The Hammers spent almost £5million to lure Maiga from Sochaux last summer but he started just two Premier League games all season.

With Sam Allardyce trying hard to land Andy Carroll permanently from Liverpool, Maiga's chances up front could be similarly limited next term.

And, according to sources in France, Marseille are set to offer him an escape route this summer.

The Ligue 1 runners-up, who finished 10 points behind big-spending PSG, need a squad capable of holding their own in next season's Champions League. And they reckon Maiga, 26, would be an adequate addition.

The French giants were in the running for the Mali international when he was still at Sochaux but they are confident of landing him this time around.