thursday's news 27th june includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

thursday's news 27th june includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

52 days to go

New home, James? Hammer Tomkins is also on the Magpies' radar

Newcastle's Kinnear chasing transfer targets Darren Bent and James Tomkins at Pardew's request

Pardew gave Kinnear the names of Aston Villa striker Bent and West Ham defender Tomkins when they spoke on the phone last week, before he went on holiday.

The Toon’s controversial new director of football discussed the club’s transfer targets with chief scout Graham Carr at the beginning of the week and is keen to make progress.

Kinnear wants to draw a line under the row sparked by his appointment by getting on with the job owner Mike Ashley brought him in to do.

The 66-year-old has so far been conducting most of his business via the phone, away from the St James’ Park, but hopes to move into his new office next week.

Pardew wants a striker and a centre-back and feels former England starter Bent could be a useful addition up front.

Bent has been told he can leave Villa, but the Magpies must try to put together a package to tempt the former Sunderland star back to the North-East.

Kinnear has already flexed his muscles at Newcastle by blocking Pardew’s interest in FC Twente defender Douglas, who was available on a free.

But the former Toon boss understands Pardew’s desire to sign players proven in the Premier League, and is backing him regarding Tomkins.

West Ham are believed to value Tomkins at £5million though, which may stretch Newcastle’s transfer budget with a striker the priority.

Ecuador's Jefferson Montero is ready to sign for West Ham despite interest from Everton.

West Ham close to signing Ecuador's Jefferson Montero for £3m

West Ham are close to signing Jefferson Montero by triggering the Ecuadorian's £3m release clause at his Mexican club, Morelia.

Roberto Martínez, the Everton manager, is also interested in Montero, who reportedly came close to signing for Wigan Athletic in January when the Spaniard was in charge. But it is understood that West Ham are confident of securing the services of the 23-year-old winger, who has played for Ecuador 27 times.

The Power Of The West Ham Family

This might sound a bit strange to you lucky people who were born on English soil, with claret and blue pumping in your veins, but allow me to explain.

I grew up in the United States, and as a result I’ve missed out on a lot of West Ham moments (in fact, pretty much all of them.) Premier League football just wasn’t shown on TV when I was a kid, and in the rare event we did have football on, it normally wasn’t showing West Ham. For this reason, every time a conversation rolls around to remembering the good old days of the Hammers, I have nothing to contribute to it. I’m either too young or too foreign (or too young and too foreign) to have anything to add.)

The other annoying thing, when you’re a bit foreign is that you spend most of your time standing out like a sore thumb. It doesn’t matter that I’ve got a British passport (and have done since I was a child)- all people notice is my ‘delightful’ foreign accent (also referred to as ‘dodgy’ and ‘insufferable’ by one of my ‘friends.’) I can’t even begin to describe how much fun it is every time you ring up for an NHS appointment to be asked how long you’ve been in the country, or to constantly have everyone assume you don’t know how to use an Oyster card.

For a very long time, I found it tough to fit in, but all this changed over the past 10 years of watching football at Upton Park- and it really clicked into place during the Play-Off final against Blackpool at Wembley.

On that day, I felt as if I had been adopted by a community; a very incredible community in West Ham’s case. People suddenly didn’t care what my voice sounded like, they only cared that I was singing ‘bubbles’ at the top of my lungs. No one noticed I was any different from anyone else when walking up Wembley Way, it only mattered that I was on the West Ham side of the walk and not dressed in that horrific day-glow orange on the other side of the divide (ever meet anyone who looks good in that colour? No, me neither.)

The day itself was a joyous drunken blur of goals, prayers, celebrations and a feeling of overwhelming pride for the team. I was there for something big; and I took part in what will be a memorable day in West Ham’s history (and won’t happen again anytime soon, because we’re not getting relegated again – not with the Davids and Big Sam at the helm.) With that, something slotted into place for me, and I finally felt accepted. Everyone has an epic game memory, or a Wembley memory to share in the pub, and I finally have my day to contribute in years to come.

I’m used to being a part of the crowd at Upton Park, but being part of that number at Wembley was different. I can look back on that day and remember that I was there with everyone. I was singing on the tube, hugging strangers, and jumping up and down with joy at the final whistle.

After 8 years of living in the UK, watching West Ham play at Wembley finally made me feel like I was accepted in into an incredible community, and at home in my adopted country- and for me, there’s nothing more wonderful or memorable than that. Now I just want to see us make more memories there- particularly winning the FA Cup- and from here on out, whatever we achieve there, I’ll be a part of it.

Buoyant Hammers fans continue the feelgood factor

Olympic Stadium could mark the start of a new era for West HamGettyImagesWest Ham's Olympic Stadium: Build it and they will come

Amidst the inevitable clamour over the capture of £16 million Andy Carroll, it's not surprising that a significant statistic from last season has quietly passed by all but the most regular Hammers supporter.

For the 2012/13 season brought West Ham the highest average home league attendance in the club's 118-year history. This for a ground capacity of a little over 35,000, where 17 consecutive games were sold out, is little short of remarkable bearing in mind some of the faithful weren't always convinced by the quality of football being played.

This statistic reveals what many have always suspected though; West Ham have a solid core of support who will follow the claret and blue regardless - during several stints in the Championship, West Ham have always lead the way in attendances - and a growing sub-strata of fans who ask only a small level of success to convince them to spend their time at the Boleyn a few times every month. There are many more waiting for the option to be able to buy tickets on a match-day basis.

As my old Granddad used to proudly proclaim: "I've followed that club through thin and thin." It seems that following generations are happy to do likewise. With season tickets doing a brisk trade and the club claiming to have over 1 million names on their database, it puts into perspective the joint-chairmen's vision for the Olympic Park venue. Make no mistake, the signing of Carroll is a significant marker towards moving into Stratford for David's Gold and Sullivan, who are acutely aware that a significant capture is likely to make other possible targets look more favourably at making the east end their new home.

With Karren Brady adopting the Kevin Costner 'Field of Dreams' role in proclaiming 'Build it and they will come' there is now a substantial effort in trying to capture the mood, enthusiasm and general goodwill that the club seem to have garnered over the past year or so. In fact, in a post-London2012 way envisaged hopefully by Sebastian Coe prior to the Olympics, there still seems to be a buoyancy and lingering elation from last year's stunning success story in the area past the Bow Flyover and the owner's can surely barely believe the crest of the wave they appear to be riding currently.

Considering West Ham's recent history isn't littered with success stories and the club have found an unerring way of shooting itself in the foot over the years, this is a golden - and all too rare - opportunity for the triumvirate, who seem to have earned a begrudging respect from even the most wary of supporters, and we can only hope it isn't yet another false dawn.

For West Ham United is not a club founded on league success or European adventures, it’s a club where the fanaticism and passion of the fans is paramount and the expectation of at least a modicum of good football is taken as a given.

We trust that whatever has been added to the water in the east end continues to flow for a few more years yet.

West Ham Target Manchester City Ace

Scott SinclairRecent reports have suggested that West Ham are interested in signing Scott Sinclair on loan from Manchester City. Since joining City from Swansea, Sinclair has had a torrid time and has hardly played. Everyone knew Sinclair joining Manchester City would be a mistake, and now he is starting to realise why.

Sinclair certainly has talent, but he hasn’t had the opportunity at City to show this. When he was at Swansea, Sinclair really showed what a great young talent he was and I believe that West Ham being linked with him is very positive and I believe he would be a good addition to the squad.

I would definitely take Sinclair at West Ham next season. I would imagine it would be a loan deal, as that it what West Ham are currently looking at due to the majority of our summer budget being used to bring in Andy Carroll. Sinclair has a lot of pace which is something we lack in our side and especially down the right hand side.

Sinclair can play either left or right midfielder and it’s always good to have a versatile player. Another thing that I like about Sinclair is that he can score goals. Sometimes when others aren’t scoring, you need someone else to step up to the plate and he could certainly be that player.

He also has a decent delivery on him, which of course will benefit our main man, Andy Carroll. After spending £15m on Carroll, there is no doubt that he is one of the main players in the team and possibly even the base of our current squad. So we have to look to sign players that will benefit Carroll and Sinclair will definitely do that.

To finish up, Sinclair would be a great loan signing for West Ham. He’s quick, he can score and he will help towards Andy Carroll scoring more goals I’m sure. We have been linked with a fair few wingers, being linked with Sinclair can only be good for the Hammers.

MANCHESTER CITY misfit Roque Santa Cruz wants to join Hamburg.

The £17million flop, 31, who is on Stoke’s shopping list, said: “Hamburg belong to the major clubs. That’s appealing for me.”

ARSENAL striker Joel Campbell admits his future is up in the air.

The Costa Rican, 21, is wanted by Real Betis, where he has been on loan, West Ham and Crystal Palace. He said: “I’m not sure which team I will play for.”

PSV EINDHOVEN are set to sign Chelsea defender Jeffrey Bruma for £3million.

The Dutchman, 21, made only four outings for the Blues after joining from Feyenoord in 2007.

WOLVES have had a £1million bid for Crewe midfielder Luke Murphy, 23, accepted.

But Swansea, Middlesbrough and Blackburn are still in the hunt.

JAMES CHESTER has snubbed Aston Villa and Newcastle to sign a new three-year deal at Hull.

The City centre-back, 24, said: “It’s perfect — I’m happy here.”

BARNSLEY keeper Luke Steele, 28, has signed a new two-year deal.

And defender Bobby Hassell, 33, was given a 12-month contract.

BRENTFORD manager Uwe Rosler has signed striker Will Grigg from Walsall.

A fee has still to be decided for the Irishman, 21.

YEOVIL have snapped up Southampton striker Sam Hoskins, Wycombe winger Joel Grant and Leicester full-back Joey Jones.

EX-ENGLAND Under-21 keeper Frank Fielding, 25, has joined Bristol City from Derby in a £200,000 deal after passing a medical.

MILLWANK have missed out on Kyle Lafferty after he joined Palermo on a three-year deal.

The Northern Ireland striker, 25, said: “It was too good to turn down.”

Tottenham's technical director Franco Baldini will hold talks with David Villa, 31, before the end of the week as the London club intensify their move for the Barcelona forward.

Daily Mail

Liverpool will seek urgent talks with striker Luis Suarez, 26, to assess whether he is in breach of contract following claims from Spain he has agreed personal terms with Real Madrid.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Real Madrid have offered cash and players - including 25-year-old Argentina winger Angel di Maria - to Tottenham in an attempt to deliver Gareth Bale for newly-appointed boss manager Carlo Ancelotti.

Daily Mirror

West Ham United are close to signing winger Jefferson Montero by triggering the Ecuadorian's £3m release clause from Mexican club Morelia. The 23-year-old will earn £30,000 a-week in what would be a four-year contract,

Guardian

Sunderland have agreed a fee with Le Havre for defender Benjamin Mendy, 18, and have been given permission to hold talks with the player about a move to the Stadium of Light.

Skysports.com

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has given director of football Joe Kinnear the names of Aston Villa striker Darren Bent, 29, and West Ham defender James Tomkins, 24, as the club look to strengthen before the start of the season.

Daily Mirror

Swansea want to sign Liverpool's 21-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey but will have to pay at least £5m to complete the deal.

Daily Mail

Dimitar Berbatov, who has been linked with Galatasaray and Zenit St Petersburg, will see out the remaining year of his Fulham contract, says the agent of the 32-year-old former Manchester United striker.

London Evening Standard

Everton, who have been linked with CSKA Moscow's 27-year-old attacking midfielder Keisuke Honda, have made enquiries for two players. Chairman Bill Kenwright made the announcement at a general meeting of Everton shareholders on Wednesday.

Evertonfc.com
GLOBAL GOSSIP (sourced by BBC Monitoring)

Real Madrid have confirmed the signing of Spanish international attacking midfielder Isco, 21, from Malaga.

Elpais.com

Italian Under-21 captain Luca Caldirola, 22, is to leave Inter Milan for Werder Bremen next season on a four-year deal.

Kicker.de

Spanish side Celta Vigo have parted company with midfielder Dani Abalo, 25, who will move to Bulgarian team Ludogrets Razgrad for two years.

as.com

Argentina striker Carlos Tevez, 29, announced that he turned down AC Milan after joining Juventus from Manchester City.

Guardian

Premier League newcomers Hull City are expected to announce new contracts for defenders Liam Rosenior, 28, and Paul McShane, 27, in the next few days. It follows the news that defender James Chester, 24, has signed a new three-year deal.

Hull Daily Mail

Aston Villa European Cup winner Peter Withe says the club should sell striker Darren Bent, 29, this summer. The England international has two years left on his contract.

Birmingham Mail

Three-times champions of Germany FC Cologne dressed their players in 1970s styl

Code: Select all

e headbands and hair styles for an hilarious kit launch.

Daily Mail 

Switzerland manager Ottmar Hitzfeld, 64, was greeted with broken goal posts and goats grazing on the pitch when he visited the team's planned World Cup training pitch in Guaruja, Brazil.

FourFourTwo.com  
[/color]

http://24.media.tumblr.com/2108e8b449cf ... 1_1280.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:
Ticket 2 Ryde

Re: thursday's news 27th june includes west ham

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

Thanks CH :crest:
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Ta CH :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Ticket 2 Ryde wrote:Thanks CH :crest:

no problem mate
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Tristan Shout wrote:Ta CH :thup:

you are welcome
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Cheers CH. Todays BOTD is a right little cutey. :thup:
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I think it would be a huge mistake for tomkins to go to newcastle. We're going places, they are going nowhere. His only gripe with us would be that he isn't playing every week but i doubt he'll get that up there either. He's also part of the furniture and still young enough to develop more. I know he isn't asking to go and we're not looking to sell but everyone has their price i suppose.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Cheers CH. Todays BOTD is a right little cutey.

funny that as i did not think much of her i like birds with big :D
mildenhallhammer53

Post by mildenhallhammer53 »

cheers CH as always.
hope the rumours about tonka are just paper talk
have a good day
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

Hope this isn't another case of us losing out on a player because of Martinez being a Spanish speaker.

Cheers CH :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

off to work now have a good day gents :crest:
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

tugboatpete

Post by tugboatpete »

do we need another left winger?
rciron
Has liked: 297 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2691 likes
Total likes: 1787 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Isn't Scott Sinclair a left sided winger ? I'm pretty sure every time I've seen him play he was on the left but I could be wrong , I was once but that was years ago .
We need competition for places but I can't see Sinclair coming here to play second fiddle to Jarvis unless he can fill in on the right , but there again we're suppose to be signing Montero .
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Cheers CH....
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Tomkins is worth a lot more than 5 million.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1085 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I like Tomkins... I really do

My concern is that last season he didn't challenge Collins or Reid at all. He spent the entire season as a back up and from what I can remember it was rare that he got selected on merit.

This worries me as at 24 years old you want him to be showing that he can be good enough to push the other 2...otherwise, when one is missing we simply have an inferior player replacing them who can't dislodge them from the team. It's not like when he got his opportunity he was so good he couldn't be dropped.

We need a centre back who can actually challenge Reid and Collins and the chances are one may come in this window. If that's the case Tomkins needs to go or we will be selling him for a fraction of his value next season after a another 'nothing' season being 4th choice rather than 3rd. If he stays he needs to be keeping the others out of the team for spells this season.

Make or break for the boy... I hope he stays and has a better season next year.

Ideal world would be Sane coming in as someone who is not exclusively a centre back and can cover midfield aswell so Tomkins merely isn't a 4th choice
wicklowiron
Has liked: 7 likes

Post by wicklowiron »

Many thanks CH
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

In fairness to Tomkins, both Reid and Collins were brilliant last year.

He certainly isn't good enough to dislodge either when they're paying like that.

And whether you like it or not, that GD figure for us when he was on the pitch to when he wasn't on it, especially when comparing it to Collins', makes for some tough reading for him.

@WHU_Stats: #WHUFC had a -16 GD when James Tomkins had been on the pitch in the 2012/13 season ( 1,728 mins ), and +8 when he wasn't ( 1,692 mins )

@WHU_Stats: #WHUFC had a 0+/- GD when James Collins was on the pitch in the 2012/13 #BPL season ( 1,445 mins ), and -8 when he wasn't ( 924 mins )