thursday's news 27th june includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Re: thursday's news 27th june includes west ham

Post by westlondonhammer »

HS... so are you suggesting that next season we do not bring in cover for centre back who might be able to compete with the starting two... and we hope he replicates his Championship form consistently in the Premiership for the first time (something he has yet to achieve on a consistent basis imo)?

As things stand the season will start with Collins and Reid if nobody comes in... that is a given as they are superior as a partnership based on last season... then we just hope Tomkins can play well and all the excuses (confidence, lack of pre season etc) just disappear when he gets his first start however many weeks into the season... I'd be worried that we wouldn't be improving in that instance!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: thursday's news 27th june includes west ham

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I do think that last season's pre-season did Tomkins no favours. Being selected for the Olympic squad was a pretty big deal and it must have been an honour to be selected.

However the dreaded British 'being crap at tournaments' took over and it actually hindered his progress.

Collins came in and from the first game showed the necessary application that was going to be vital for our success. With Reid carrying on from the previous season, we gained early season momentum despite the odd error from Ginger Pele.

No manager would have broken up the pairing that were getting us results, the longer that went on, the harder it would be for Tomkins to play himself into the team.

I thought Tomkins did ok last season but was third in line for the CB position no matter how you looked at it. That's football.

This season if he stays, he has the chance to break into the team again. Injuries and performance could affect Collins or Reid and this time Tomkins has to impose himself in the position. If he doesn't then I will be very disappointed as having seen him play since the youth team, it would appear he will not reach his potential here.