saturday's news 29th june includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: saturday's news 29th june includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

A Worrying Trend Setting In At West Ham

Robert HallIt has been one of the richest assets of any club, and a glowing gem of British football for decades.

The prized West Ham academy has produced an abundance of star names, many of whom at some point in their career could have laid legitimate claim to being one of the best players in the country, if not the world.

The goldmine of talent has benefited West Ham well – to some extent on the pitch, but rather more disappointingly in the coffers of the club’s hierarchy.

For almost 40 years, Tony Carr has overseen the development of hundreds of players, guiding a large number from youth team obscurity, to first team fame, before all too soon, seeing them fly the nest.

The problem in recent years though, has been a dearth of emerging options. Maybe we were spoilt when the generation of Lampard, Ferdinand, Cole, Carrick, Defoe, flooded through the gates. But in the past few seasons, it has been nothing more than a drip.

Good as Noble, Collison and Tomkins are, they are well beyond new graduates of the academy.

I interviewed Gianfranco Zola at the start of the 2009/10 season, when those three were already established, about further youth team prospects getting a chance to prosper.

He said the door was always open at the club for players to stake a claim. Those at the time who were expected to knock on the door were Bondz N’Gala, Josh Payne and Zavon Hines. Need I say more…

So the news this week that yet another promising player has seemingly failed to make the grade is somewhat of a worry.

Rob Hall has been around the squad for a few years, without ever breaking into the team in a big way. Even in the Championship, he was never given much of a chance.

He has received positive reviews, and scored goals at Development Squad level, but anyone who saw Defoe play at 16 could see what real explosive goal scoring ability is. By the same age as Hall is now, he was a regular in the top division.

Whether this is a reflection of the fact Big Sam is cautious of blooding young stars when there remains pressure on him to perform in the Premiership, or a simple lack of good enough players, it is difficult to tell.

The signing of Danny Whitehead, from Conference North side Stockport County, suggests the gaffer wants to invest in the next generation, but his penchant has always been to opt for experience to build his squads.

He has already brought in young players, such as Ravel Morrison, but for whatever reasons, he has not had a run-out of note at West Ham.

I don’t get to the reserve games like I used to, what with living over in Sydney, and my perspective can really only be taken from the names making, or not making, the team sheet on a Saturday.

But given the relative safety with which West Ham approached the end of last season, it seemed a great opportunity to give players such as Matthias Fanimo, Elliot Lee, Leo Chambers, a game other than in the League Cup.

The concern is that the spark may have gone from the academy jewel, which would be a costly loss, at a time when extravagant transfer fees mean home-grown talent is priceless